Sponsored by:

Moving to Chicago & Looking at a 3rd Gen TL

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 09:11 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moving to Chicago & Looking at a 3rd Gen TL

Hi Guys and Gals,

New member here so please I apologize if this question has been asked before. I am moving to the Chicagoland area and currently have a 2016 GMC Sierra, a little impractical in the big city... I have always liked the 3rd Gen TL and it seems to have a timeless shape along with Acura's legendary dependability. Seems like a perfect city car! My question is, when looking at used 3rd Gen TL's is there anything common that I should look out for when looking at these cars? It appears that there are still quite a few great examples of these cars for sale.

Thanks in advance!

muhsfink07
Old 09-25-2017, 09:20 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
like most Honda's, the tranny isnt that stout, with the earlier years failing.
other than that..it's a used car, so treat it like a used car.
kick the tires, check a/c, check oil level, check interior, check exterior...ya know used car thangs
Old 09-25-2017, 09:23 AM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by muhsfink07
Hi Guys and Gals,

New member here so please I apologize if this question has been asked before. I am moving to the Chicagoland area and currently have a 2016 GMC Sierra, a little impractical in the big city... I have always liked the 3rd Gen TL and it seems to have a timeless shape along with Acura's legendary dependability. Seems like a perfect city car! My question is, when looking at used 3rd Gen TL's is there anything common that I should look out for when looking at these cars? It appears that there are still quite a few great examples of these cars for sale.

Thanks in advance!

muhsfink07
A couple of questions:
  • Are you looking for an Automatic or a Manual?
  • Are you looking for a higher end TL (i.e. the TL-S which has more power)?

Regarding what to look for, there are a lot of threads here on shopping criteria; here are a few:
  • Has the timing belt and water pump been changed and when?
  • If you're looking for an automatic, the 2007-2008 models, both base TL and the TL-S, are considered more reliable.
  • If you're looking for an automatic, does it have a service record for the transmission maintenance?
  • If you're looking for an automatic, how does it shift when you drive the car?
  • Check the dash over the glove box for cracks around the air bag.
  • Check the leather seating for cracks or tears.
Good luck and please keep us posted on your progress.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:30 AM
4th Gear

I guess I should have been more specific. I would be looking at one of the older low mileage automatics. I don't need the Type-S so I'm not looking at one of those. One thing that I have seen are quite a few of those older early model 3rd gen's with low mileage, under 75K, being listed for under 10K. I would definitely go over it with a fine toothed comb understanding that it is a used car. However I was wondering if there were common issues to be especially mindful of.

Thanks!
Old 09-25-2017, 10:03 AM
Latent car nut

The most significant issue to be aware of on the 2004-2006 TLs with an automatic transmission is the transmission itself. As I understand it, it is a "when not if" prospect; when the tranny goes Tango Uniform, your options are a standard remanufacture, an upgraded remanufacture, or my favorite, a swap to the AV6 transmission from the 2006-2007 V6 Honda Accord models. As I understand it, the AV6 swap is pretty much a bolt in replacement and MUCH more robust than the standard TL tranny.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:08 AM
4th Gear

Interesting that the Accord transmission is considered a stringer unit. Is it identical to the 06-08 TL transmission?

Are some of those lower mileage 50-65K mileage older models to good to be true? I know that cars need to be driven to be reliable so crap doesn't dry out.

Also, would it be wise to factor in the cost of the car the cost of replacing suspension bushings etc?
Old 09-25-2017, 10:16 AM
4th Gear

What do you guys think about this example?

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...&modelCode1=TL
Old 09-25-2017, 10:20 AM
Latent car nut

Interesting that the Accord transmission is considered a stringer unit. Is it identical to the 06-08 TL transmission?
As I understand it, the AV6 is pretty much a plug in swap, however, it is a much improved transmission compared to the 2004-2006 units which came in the TL.

Are some of those lower mileage 50-65K mileage older models to good to be true? I know that cars need to be driven to be reliable so crap doesn't dry out.
As a general rule that's true. Also, cars which are regularly driven aren't as likely to have rodent damage; I parked my 2001 Accord back in May and have only driven is sparingly since. Unfortunately a bunch of chipmunks made a home in the car and chewed through the "Small Lights" wiring harness which in turn caused it to short out and melt. It cost me $500 to have the harness replaced.

Also, would it be wise to factor in the cost of the car the cost of replacing suspension bushings etc?
At some point you will need suspension work; the suspension of my 2001 Accord is verging on needing the bushings replaced now after 195,000 miles (next annual inspection most likely), the bushings on my 2006 TL with only 122,000 mile on it are still good to go.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 591 Likes on 455 Posts
I would only get an 07-08 for the transmission alone.