3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mods Mods Mods. . .

Old 06-21-2007, 10:41 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mods Mods Mods. . .

I recently got an '04 black TL aspec with some OZ 18" rims -- no nav. Im really looking to make some mods this year mostly cosmetic. Im just wondering where to find all the aftermarket parts for our cars. . if there are even any.

What are some mods to have done. . . and where can I get them from? Thanks in advance!
Old 06-21-2007, 10:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,987 Likes on 1,411 Posts
Ron JOn bodykit
A-spec body kit - OEM
Clear the Headlights
Tint
Smoked tails
Old 06-21-2007, 10:45 PM
Glacier Frost Mica CL-S

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
if u look under the 3g serction you will find plenty of members rides and u can get some ideas from that and also go in the black market section to find good deals on parts and welcome to AZine
Old 06-21-2007, 10:49 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To name a few:

cosmetic..
cleared headlights, drop (springs or coil overs), shaved drivers door handle lock hole (where key goes in)....

performance..
CAI, e-pro cats, underdrive pully, thermoblock spacers, comptech supercharger, comptech exhaust, comptech short shifter (if 6MT)....

Probably need to narrow down what all specifically you want to do and do a search on the stuff and if you have specific questions fire away. Just check out the photo section maybe and see what others have done to their cars and see what you like. Have fun!
Old 06-21-2007, 11:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
i'll add a few: 07 tails, 07 s/b key, rear sway bar, 07 side markers
Old 06-21-2007, 11:24 PM
I have car ADD

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
07 TLS tails are cool.. i smoked my lights, but if i didnt, the TLS wouldnt have been the way to go. they look siiiccckkk on NBP. check out bforbrian's ride

also...do your grille...paint it, look at darksom1 or brettalica... de-badge the trunk..

hell, if you got the $$ let's see some custom paint!! i dont think one member on here (other than accuratein) has some kind of custom paint job.. he did a white/black thing... but i would love to see some different colors.... nobodys done that yet
Old 06-21-2007, 11:46 PM
Safety Car

Received 133 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY
07 TLS tails are cool.. i smoked my lights, but if i didnt, the TLS wouldnt have been the way to go. they look siiiccckkk on NBP. check out bforbrian's ride

also...do your grille...paint it, look at darksom1 or brettalica... de-badge the trunk..

hell, if you got the $$ let's see some custom paint!! i dont think one member on here (other than accuratein) has some kind of custom paint job.. he did a white/black thing... but i would love to see some different colors.... nobodys done that yet
YAH That would be cool
Old 06-21-2007, 11:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,987 Likes on 1,411 Posts
Originally Posted by JD TL-S
YAH That would be cool
search for yellow TL, there was one posted either here or in car talk. IT was neon yellow....
Old 06-22-2007, 07:32 AM
Safety Car

Have Fun, and good luck with your $$$

Originally Posted by drub78776
I recently got an '04 black TL aspec with some OZ 18" rims -- no nav. Im really looking to make some mods this year mostly cosmetic. Im just wondering where to find all the aftermarket parts for our cars. . if there are even any.

What are some mods to have done. . . and where can I get them from? Thanks in advance!
Lower it with Eibach springs. Order from Tirerack, install at a good local shop.

Tint the windows. Find a good local shop.

Debadge the trunk. Do it yourself using 8# fishing line, floss it TOO weak.

Stage 3 exhaust mod. I went to Meineke and they HOOKED me up for $150 total

Wheels/tires. I went with 18's first, sold, will get 19's next.

Parts from 07 TL-S, Tails, side markers, grill.

Clear headlights, good luck here, looks like alot of work. Haven't done YET
Old 06-22-2007, 08:53 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
You got rid of the Volks? Any reason in particular?
Old 06-22-2007, 09:15 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by chill_dog
You got rid of the Volks? Any reason in particular?
Some personal reasons. But another is I paid big bucks, and didn't get that "WOW FEELING" when I walked out every day and looked at my car. They looked real nice, and the quality and weight was top notch. I really wanted a 19" with a polished lip, but ALL the shit I went through trying to put together buying the Volk 19" GT-C's. I went with the 18" Volk RE 30 TOTAL pkg from Tirerack.

I need to take care of many things right now, (bad year for me) and I might get a set of 19's this summer. Probably next spring. No more hurrying. I need to make a perfect choice this time. I lost aprox $1500 selling them after paying for shipping to California and the Paypal fee.

If weight, fitment for 07 TL-S, and stupid TPMS straps wasn't an issue, I would of gotten something different the first time.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:06 AM
Intermediate

I would love to do the 07 tails and side markers -- anyone have a good place to get them besides the dealership?

I am thinking about doing some headlight mods from one of the sponsored dealers in the black market forum, but I feel a bit intimidated about taking them off and whatnot.

Window tint is definately going to be happening this summer.

I guess I am disapointed in what seems like lack of mods for our cars compared to others -- my friend with a 05 BMW 5series is getting a bunch of stuff and I feel left out!!
Old 06-22-2007, 10:16 AM
Godfather of Chrome

Location: Santa Cruz, and yes I'm a hippie with retro 1970s sideburns and a chrome fetish
Don't be disappointed or feel shortchanged. There are plenty of things you can do to your TL. There are a bunch of great ideas in this thread already. I think everyone has already said all of the mods I've done to my own car - even BLACKURA_NY mentioned my grill mod.

A couple others, if you're geeky/handy: modify the front side markers to emit white light instead of amber (takes some Dremel and soldering work); and change out the yellow bulbs in the cabin of the car to white (or blue if you're into that) LEDs.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:54 PM
Racer

a-spec body kit
paint front grille black
drop
rims (most noticeable)
sub and an amp

these r like the best mods I think.... and most NOTICEABLE... theres MANY others tho.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:29 PM
Pro

I started a thread a little while ago about low cost/no cost mods that are cheap and easy. I'm almost completely through my list in this, the summer of cheap modding.

Completed so far:
Debadge
20% Rockblocker smokeout on side markers and tails
Cleared out headlight
Replaced all dome, door, backup, and license plate lights with superwhite LEDs
KP window roll up mod
35%/20% tint with moleskin (for free from my dealer, wooo)
Karr track install (part of purchase price)
Nav welcome screen/disclaimer text mod
eBay-style rear lip spoiler

Still need to do:
General paint touchup/scratch removal
Driver's key hole cover mod

Total cost so far: $270 and the car looks WAY BETTER and COMPLETELY different. Really unique without much $$$ or work.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:38 PM
Godfather of Chrome

Location: Santa Cruz, and yes I'm a hippie with retro 1970s sideburns and a chrome fetish
That total would have been MUCH higher if you would have had to pay for the tint!!
Old 06-22-2007, 01:41 PM
Let's Go Pens

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
While we are on the the topic of mods.. Could those of you with pictures of a modified front grille show me some pics? I was considering having mine painted NBP at a local body shop. Some of you say paint it black, is this what you did? On a side note, it's not really custom but due to some recent cement damage to my '04 envoy (parked near a construction site) my entire vehicle needs to be re-painted. I don't care about the re-sell value, so i'm seriously considering having it painted NBP instead of the typical onyx black that it is now.. How many NBP Envoys do you think there are? :o)
Old 06-22-2007, 03:47 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Some personal reasons. But another is I paid big bucks, and didn't get that "WOW FEELING" when I walked out every day and looked at my car. They looked real nice, and the quality and weight was top notch. I really wanted a 19" with a polished lip, but ALL the shit I went through trying to put together buying the Volk 19" GT-C's. I went with the 18" Volk RE 30 TOTAL pkg from Tirerack.

I need to take care of many things right now, (bad year for me) and I might get a set of 19's this summer. Probably next spring. No more hurrying. I need to make a perfect choice this time. I lost aprox $1500 selling them after paying for shipping to California and the Paypal fee.

If weight, fitment for 07 TL-S, and stupid TPMS straps wasn't an issue, I would of gotten something different the first time.
Ouch! Maybe you let them go for too cheap...if they weren't curbed, you maybe could've gotten a little more...oh well, water under the bridge. Good luck with everything. As many have pointed out in this thread, there are plenty of cheap/free mods you can do for looks.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:42 PM
No He Can't

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Evader
While we are on the the topic of mods.. Could those of you with pictures of a modified front grille show me some pics? I was considering having mine painted NBP at a local body shop. Some of you say paint it black, is this what you did? On a side note, it's not really custom but due to some recent cement damage to my '04 envoy (parked near a construction site) my entire vehicle needs to be re-painted. I don't care about the re-sell value, so i'm seriously considering having it painted NBP instead of the typical onyx black that it is now.. How many NBP Envoys do you think there are? :o)
There are a few different threads in the 3G section about different things you can do to your grill. I think one of them is closing in on 40 pages now and there is another shorter one that just got started and only has pictures. The thing is, you will have to take it somewhere or do it yourself because there aren't any grilles that you can just buy for the 3G because the front end is all one piece. Hope this helps.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:34 PM
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Lower it with Eibach springs. Order from Tirerack, install at a good local shop.

Tint the windows. Find a good local shop.

Debadge the trunk. Do it yourself using 8# fishing line, floss it TOO weak.

Stage 3 exhaust mod. I went to Meineke and they HOOKED me up for $150 total

Parts from 07 TL-S, Tails, side markers, grill.

Clear headlights, good luck here, looks like alot of work. Haven't done YET
I'm about to start my mods too. Just waiting for my A-Spec body kit to arrive. Couple of questions for you. Do you prefer the Eibach spings over the A-Spec spring/shock combo? And why.

Also, what is the stage 3 exhaust mod? Thanks!
Old 08-27-2007, 08:50 PM
Let's Go Pens

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY

Allon,

Are you hinting at something we could look forwarding to seeing in a few weeks? I think you should be the first one to do this. Maybe Darksom would let up a little bit if you go rid of that WDP, haha
Old 08-27-2007, 09:07 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
Originally Posted by zoostation
what is the stage 3 exhaust mod? Thanks!
See page 22 for the definition of various stages (Post #528).

Removing Resonator on Stock exhaust (click here)
Old 08-27-2007, 09:24 PM
No He Can't

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm recommend you guys make an organized thread that can get stickied with a list of all the different mods you can do. We have one going over in 2nd generation and it is a real good page for n00bs to go and get an idea of what to do.

Obviously not every brand of wheel or tire, but good shock/spring combos or the different coilovers, different intakes, exhaust, etc so people will know what is available.