Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mobil1 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 09:34 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mobil1 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy

Has anyone tried the new Advanced Fuel Economy Mobil1? I just switched over during when I changed my oil last weekend and was wondering if anyone has actually seen the benefits of this. Since I have been using Mobil1 ever since the 1st oil change of my TL, I don't really notice a difference. Understanding that this oil flows much easier upon startup, but is oil flow an issue in non-winter months?

FYI...the Mobil1 website claims you can get up to a 2% increase in fuel economy.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:52 AM
Instructor

2% probably isn't enough to really be noticeable, unless you keep extensive records throughout the year's varied weather conditions - before and after the switch...
Old 07-23-2009, 10:55 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
I'm switching to that oil at my next oil change, which I'll do this weekend. Curious on the MPG gaines, if any. 2% is 2%.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:57 AM
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by BASISON
Has anyone tried the new Advanced Fuel Economy Mobil1? I just switched over during when I changed my oil last weekend and was wondering if anyone has actually seen the benefits of this. Since I have been using Mobil1 ever since the 1st oil change of my TL, I don't really notice a difference. Understanding that this oil flows much easier upon startup, but is oil flow an issue in non-winter months?

FYI...the Mobil1 website claims you can get up to a 2% increase in fuel economy.
I actually have been using it, and you do see (at least I did) an improvement of about 1-2 mpg on average driving. its just a bit more expensive as it is not available in the 5-qt jug.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:01 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by LoveMyTL-S
I'm switching to that oil at my next oil change, which I'll do this weekend. Curious on the MPG gaines, if any. 2% is 2%.
True enough. It's good to be willing to spend a bit of extra coin in order to help your ride out - whether it be for performance, longevity, or economy.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:46 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Got mine at Advance Auto while it was on sale. $20.00 for 5 qts and M1-110 filter. Or it may have been $25.00. Either way a good deal.

Last edited by LoveMyTL-S; 07-23-2009 at 11:49 AM.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:48 AM
#1 Super Guy!

Received 510 Likes on 367 Posts
1 to 2 mpg is way more than two percent. At best this car gets 31mpg w/ 5w-20. A jump to 32mpg would be 3.2% gain. If you average mpg was lower, a 1mpg increase is an even larger percentage. There is simply no way this is comming from the oil. The best bet is that your simply driving more eco concious since you filled it with eco 0w-20.

BTW: It's still a 20w oil at operating temp. The only difference is a slight weight reduction in your wallet...
Old 07-23-2009, 11:48 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
has anyone read the bottle or website to see what this really is?
old mobil1 is now M1-high mileage, and plain mobil1 is now made with cheaper base ingredients..not the same as it used to be
Now fuel economy version??? hmmm
And 2% compared to what- regular M1, or other brands?
Do your engine a favor and reduce clogging debris by running 1/2 can seafoam in the oil for 30 miles freeway cruise before oil change
It will remove huge amount of sludge crud as seen in tv commercial, less crud reduces friction, can improve mileage!
Old 07-23-2009, 11:52 AM
Team Owner

the first number in oil is its viscosity or abilty to flow measured at 32F- freezing temp
the W actually stands for Winter!
Additives in the oil make it behave like a zero or 5 at that 32f oil temp
If its 50f overnight, its not going to come into play

The second number is measured at 200f- normal oil operating temp
Both are fake as they use more like a 15-20 and add stuff to the end ranges of it
Old 07-23-2009, 02:26 PM
Ryan Christopher

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
has anyone read the bottle or website to see what this really is?
old mobil1 is now M1-high mileage, and plain mobil1 is now made with cheaper base ingredients..not the same as it used to be
Now fuel economy version??? hmmm
And 2% compared to what- regular M1, or other brands?
Do your engine a favor and reduce clogging debris by running 1/2 can seafoam in the oil for 30 miles freeway cruise before oil change
It will remove huge amount of sludge crud as seen in tv commercial, less crud reduces friction, can improve mileage!
The Sea Foam, can this be purchased at a local parts store, or does it have to be ordered online. If it is online, where is the best place to order?

A 2% gain would be nominal, you are talking at best a .6 MPG gain.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:55 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
the first number in oil is its viscosity or abilty to flow measured at 32F- freezing temp
the W actually stands for Winter!
Additives in the oil make it behave like a zero or 5 at that 32f oil temp
If its 50f overnight, its not going to come into play

The second number is measured at 200f- normal oil operating temp
Both are fake as they use more like a 15-20 and add stuff to the end ranges of it
Actually, the "W" number is the viscosity at -32F to -25F depending on the number. It has very little to do with real life situations unless you live in a very cold climate.

For example, most 10w-30s will be thinner on a 70 degree summer startup than a 0w-40. However, take the temp down into the negatives and they will start to switch places at some point.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:59 PM
Team Owner

You guys need to research how the Mobil advanced fuel economy stuff works. It's HTHS number is a bit lower than the other oils in the same weight. It purposely sheers in th bearings and ring packs so the viscosity temporarily goes down. In fact, it barely meets the minimum HTHS for acceptable wear protection. HTHS has been proven to be a very important if not the most important spec for bearing and cylinder protection under load and heat. You're getting rid of your safety cushion for .5mpg. Skip one fast food meal a month and you've made up the difference in price and you're not wearing the engine out.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:12 PM
#1 Super Guy!

^
Old 07-23-2009, 07:38 PM
Team Owner

hate cars- do you mean +32F to -25F for the W part?
All I knew was at +32 freezing temp measurement for sure

below -25f I wouldnt expect anything but a zero synthetic to even think about moving - let alone flowing
Old 07-23-2009, 07:46 PM
Team Owner

black 05-
seafoam is sold everywhere from walmart to autozone, oreillys any big parts store and most private import parts stores also have it
I have never needed to order online~

Redline SI-1 fuel injector cleaner is awesome in the gas tank- see parts stores for it
seafoam works well there too- whatever you can find

Some stores also carry seafoam aerosol version `Deep Creep`- excellent for many uses beyond the car
Have to call around to find that- autozone stocks both, wally only has seafoam liquid

cost varies 7.99- 9.99 per 16 oz can and well worth it- refund policy on can= your moneys worth, or your money back!! direct from the store!

I have seen many cars with 50k get major benefit from this, while starting anywhere after 15 is good to stay ahead of the maitenance curve and combat rising gas prices
Old 07-23-2009, 07:47 PM
Team Owner

yikes- I am due to clean again!!
Old 07-23-2009, 07:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 435 Likes on 245 Posts
My knowledge isn't as in depth as 'I hate cars' but all I will say is that I use castrol synth. because through my cousin who knows the mechanics on the mazda team on the speed tv touring series. And through extensive race testing of their engines, castrol protected their engine better than mobile one.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:06 PM
Team Owner

I work with race cars too, we rebuild the engine every season for the basic fun playtime race car, and as much as every race on the real race car when running for money~
Redline oil is used in those-- cause its all or nothing for the win

The bigest concern for a race team is making it all the way thru the checkered flag plus 1 lap- hopefully a Victory lap and some burnout time left in it-
SCCA may require teams to use a spec oil or their sponsors oil, kind of embarressing to get caught running penzoil in the castrol sponsored series/car~

note: doing nascar donut victory burnouts- causes about 50 grand in rebuild damage to the engine and drivetrain!
Mark Martin cant bring himself to do it to his cars- too much respect for the machine

note2- acura went from 5-30 gen2 to 5-20 gen3 for .5 mpg gain in CAFE testing
not to improve the engine lifespan or performance--to make numbers better
thankfully cafe is changing to a different formula for each model - not an across the board average of all the car models they make
See if it goes back to 5-30
Old 07-23-2009, 09:37 PM
Team Owner

thankfully cafe is changing to a different formula for each model - not an across the board average of all the car models they make
Very true but people will argue to the death that the 5w-20 was developed in the best interest of the longevity of our engines. You wouldn't believe the lawyers and doctors arguing this point. I was told the 10w-30 I put in my TL would kill it quickly. That was 76,000 miles ago.

I'm trying to find those numbers for you. It basically said it had to be between a certain viscosity at -35F for the thin stuff, -25 for some of the thicker stuff but I'll get the specifics. I think we would be much better served if they showed viscosity at something we all see like 32F. That's more of a real world measurement. The current way tricks people into thinking their 0w-40 flows better than someone else's 10w-30 at normal starting temps which just isn't the case.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:43 PM
Team Owner

it may be that range from neg to pos freezing temp is the standard measure for Winter viscosity rating
Overnight temps below neg 35 would require a different oil than SAE car oil
some special alaska canada slick stuff no doubt

In the airplane we run straight 50 weight, thats a lot of fun on a cold morning to try and turn the engine over and if it even starts- waiting for the oil pressure guage to begin its slow climb
Old 07-24-2009, 02:38 AM
Three Wheelin'

I work with race cars too, we rebuild the engine every season for the basic fun playtime race car, and as much as every race on the real race car when running for money~
Redline oil is used in those-- cause its all or nothing for the win

The bigest concern for a race team is making it all the way thru the checkered flag plus 1 lap- hopefully a Victory lap and some burnout time left in it-
SCCA may require teams to use a spec oil or their sponsors oil, kind of embarressing to get caught running penzoil in the castrol sponsored series/car~

note: doing nascar donut victory burnouts- causes about 50 grand in rebuild damage to the engine and drivetrain!
Mark Martin cant bring himself to do it to his cars- too much respect for the machine

I see what your saying about the sponsorship, but this was just a friendly conversation with the guys, not a sales pitch and they weren't sponsored by castrol. Also the touring series doesn't have the NASCAR or F1 budget here, if they can make their engines last longer they will.
I will try and find out the wear they observed on their engines and post back here.

Also to the note that a donut causes 50k in damage, I don't see why. I understand the car has passive cooling only so no air going through the radiator and it starts to overheat, but I wouldn't have thought it lasted long enough to expand it that much. And as for the drive train, why is that stressed? With the rear tires lit up, they don't have much grip at all so torque on the shafts is minimal compared to pushing the car through air at 200mph. The only part that I can see getting abused a bit is the rear differential but no worse than when under heavy acceleration.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:11 AM
Team Owner

full throttle in lower gear is thrashing the engine like you cant believe- its designed for that in top gear not low- valve springs damaged- can float a valve and throw it into a piston- bang- bad news
the torque thru the driveshaft against spinning tires that are also heavily side loaded in a spin is enough to twist a driveshaft and destroy it
same with the diff- meant to be going forward- not sideways loaded

nascar engines run about 200-250 thousand dollars!! for a full block setup-
with `no damage` rebuilds costing 50 grand after 1 race- add damage or total wearout of rod journals or destruction of the engine...
yikes
dont have to believe me- email nascar

scca teams may use a regular name brand- but you have to check if its car oil or special race oil
More teams run redline than anything else from my experience around the track
the joke years ago from redline execs was the oil bottles being poured into the car at Indy may be yellow (sponsoring penzoil) but the oil in the bottle was actually redline
Old 07-24-2009, 06:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

full throttle in lower gear is thrashing the engine like you cant believe- its designed for that in top gear not low- valve springs damaged- can float a valve and throw it into a piston- bang- bad news
the torque thru the driveshaft against spinning tires that are also heavily side loaded in a spin is enough to twist a driveshaft and destroy it
same with the diff- meant to be going forward- not sideways loaded

nascar engines run about 200-250 thousand dollars!! for a full block setup-
with `no damage` rebuilds costing 50 grand after 1 race- add damage or total wearout of rod journals or destruction of the engine...
yikes
dont have to believe me- email nascar

scca teams may use a regular name brand- but you have to check if its car oil or special race oil
More teams run redline than anything else from my experience around the track
the joke years ago from redline execs was the oil bottles being poured into the car at Indy may be yellow (sponsoring penzoil) but the oil in the bottle was actually redline
Well I'll need more facts beforei believe that an engine cares for what gear it's in when revved. I can understand that banging the rev limiter is a bit harsh, and that at low speed the engine doesn't get as much cooling. As far as valve spring failing I don't see why it would matter the speed at which the car is traveling.
About driveshafts, well I would hope the wheel is held in place by the rear suspension links and the wheel hub. I can understand extra stress on the shaft if the wheel starts hopping but that doesn't seem to be the case usually.

As far as emailing NASCAR, lol ya I'll get right on that. Help@NASCAR.com
right?
Old 07-24-2009, 06:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by PhilB81
Well I'll need more facts beforei believe that an engine cares for what gear it's in when revved. I can understand that banging the rev limiter is a bit harsh, and that at low speed the engine doesn't get as much cooling. As far as valve spring failing I don't see why it would matter the speed at which the car is traveling.
About driveshafts, well I would hope the wheel is held in place by the rear suspension links and the wheel hub. I can understand extra stress on the shaft if the wheel starts hopping but that doesn't seem to be the case usually.

As far as emailing NASCAR, lol ya I'll get right on that. Help@NASCAR.com
right?
Oh and I did a quick research and from 1 spot I got that a NASCAR engine runs 45-60K and another place 40k and the whole car around 125k. Those number seem a bit low on the whole car I was expecting it to be closer to 200k.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:52 AM
#1 Super Guy!

01TL4TL: If it cost $50k to rebuild after the race without a burnout, your saying it cost $100k to rebuild with a burnout? Have you ever seen anybody blow a motor during a victory burnout? The kind of damage you believe is occouring would be catastrophic and quite noticable...

BTW: Your opinions and so-called experience sound biased, rehersed and commercial.

This is a stupid conversation anyways. Can we get back on the topic of oil please...
Old 07-24-2009, 09:57 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 94eg!
01TL4TL: If it cost $50k to rebuild after the race without a burnout, your saying it cost $100k to rebuild with a burnout? Have you ever seen anybody blow a motor during a victory burnout? The kind of damage you believe is occouring would be catastrophic and quite noticable...

BTW: Your opinions and so-called experience sound biased, rehersed and commercial.

This is a stupid conversation anyways. Can we get back on the topic of oil please...
Agreed, I have derailed this thread far enough. Mods feel free to scrap my posts to help get this back on topic
Old 07-26-2009, 06:42 PM
Instructor

i've used 0w-20 Mobil1 for 1 year and I have used AmsOil 0w-20. Same millage with either one. I will switch to 0w-30 and change it every year... cause I don't care what you say-- changing synth oil every time TL tells you to is just a colossal waste of cash/esp on Amsoil. IMO