AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G TL (2004-2008) (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/)
-   -   Misfire DTC and TSB 03-033 question (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/misfire-dtc-tsb-03-033-question-936747/)

thegipper 09-28-2015 09:22 AM

Misfire DTC and TSB 03-033 question

So every few months my check engine light flashes and I get the P0301, P0305 and P0300 codes when I go WOT. The light goes away after a minute and the performance never changes, drives perfectly normal.

I know that there is TSB 03-033 which is a software upgrade to fix this exact problem. Apparently there is some issue with the old software that "incorrectly interprets sensor inputs, causing the codes to set". I'm 99.9999% sure this is my problem, so I just need the TSB done.

I called my local Acura dealership (Acura of Brookfield) and the service guy I talked with was an total idiot.... I asked if he could check my VIN to see if this specific TSB has been performed on my car and he said "there are no recalls on your car right now". I said great, I want to know if this specific TSB has been performed on my car or not, he again said there are no recalls and if I'm having a problem I should schedule an appointment to have the car looked at.

After going back and forth with him and explaining that there is a difference between recalls and a TSB I finally got him to look up my VIN and he said that this specific TSB has NOT been performed on my car. That is all I wanted his dumb a.. to do.

I asked how much it would cost to perform this TSB and he said they would have to diagnoss my car. I explained to him again, I don't want it diagnosed, I want this specific TSB done to my car which it applies too. He then tells me he can't give me a price and someone would have to call me back who knows.

What a moron. Anyways, my question for you guys is what is a fair price to have this updated software flashed? Also, if I don't have it done, is this something that will damage or effect the car? Is it pretty important that I do have it done since every once in awhile when I go WOT it does have the codes come up?

Here is a link to the TSB if you are not familiar with the one I'm talking about. I tried using the link found on Acurazine but when I click on the blue "link" button it brings me to some Estore, not sure if the link is messed up or what is going on. Either way I can't view any of the TSBs following the instructions on the page.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2F...ew?usp=sharing

Thoughts?

polobunny 09-28-2015 09:55 AM

No, it will not break your car. Essentially it goes into limp mode to protect your car from a possible problem (which is not a problem but a false warning in that case).

As for the price, really depends. I wouldn't expect more than 1 hour of their time for ECP/PCM update + relearn and because it's a dealership I wouldn't expect less than 1 hour either.

thegipper 09-28-2015 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by polobunny (Post 15566212)
No, it will not break your car. Essentially it goes into limp mode to protect your car from a possible problem (which is not a problem but a false warning in that case).

As for the price, really depends. I wouldn't expect more than 1 hour of their time for ECP/PCM update + relearn and because it's a dealership I wouldn't expect less than 1 hour either.

Got a call back and they said it would be $75. should I try getting a quote from a Honda dealership or can they not do it?

nfnsquared 09-28-2015 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by thegipper (Post 15566277)
Got a call back and they said it would be $75. should I try getting a quote from a Honda dealership or can they not do it?

On the one hand, $75 isn't bad at all, but the MIL is happening due to a programming issue caused by Acura, not you. I'd push it up to the district manager and ACS and try to get it done for free.

thegipper 09-28-2015 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by nfnsquared (Post 15566331)
On the one hand, $75 isn't bad at all, but the MIL is happening due to a programming issue caused by Acura, not you. I'd push it up to the district manager and ACS and try to get it done for free.

Based on my prior experiences at this dealership, I doubt they will ever do anything for me for free minus a recall.

worth a shot I guess. What about a Honda dealership?

polobunny 09-28-2015 01:01 PM

I'd take it for $75. Honda should be able to do it too, they have all that's necessary. They might not want to though, sometimes they're like that.