Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Misalignment common on rear doors?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 09:59 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Misalignment common on rear doors?

Almost every single TL I've seen has a slight misalignment of the rear doors. You can see this by following the accent 'indent' from the rear doors to the rear 1/4 panel. I can't recall seeing one that was perfect......I'm too much of a perfectionist I guess.
Old 04-29-2004, 10:16 AM
Administrator

Received 1,001 Likes on 572 Posts
This came up a while back, and it is true. If you look from the rear of the car, you can see the edge of the rear door sticking out just a little. It's like Acura didn't measure something just right, which they will probably fix either mid-year or on the 2005's. Doesn't look like there is any adjustment since the doors close so tightly.
Old 04-29-2004, 10:23 AM
Team Anthracite Member

All,
Please accept my deepest apologies for who has this problem - for I just jumped up at my desk at work pumping my fist in celebration when I read this post. I have been beating myself up over the passed month for not forcing the dealer to order my TL and instead he located one - so I have been kicking myself day and night - to the point my wife is ready to toss me out. I have been mumbling to myself as I stand in the garage - until now, I just figured I got duped and mine or just a few others who got earlier builds have this problem. I am so surprised to hear it is that common. I have spent time working in a car manufacturing plant and I would be very surprised if they are still coming off the line like that - stuff like that was addressed quickly. Anyway - long post about nothing - it irritates me that the fit is so poor, but I do feel better that I am not alone.

It is not awful, but once you see it - your eyes go right to it....

Originally Posted by Ken7
Almost every single TL I've seen has a slight misalignment of the rear doors. You can see this by following the accent 'indent' from the rear doors to the rear 1/4 panel. I can't recall seeing one that was perfect......I'm too much of a perfectionist I guess.
Old 04-29-2004, 10:28 AM
Advanced

I also noticed this on the trunk lid as well. Every one I looked at was misaligned in some way and not consistent. Even the seams on my 97 Accord are near perfect on every panel, door, hood, trunk, etc. What the hell is it with the Ohio plant?!
Old 04-29-2004, 10:34 AM
Advanced

misalignments here too

I'm glad you guys spoke up. My trunk lid is off line with the fenders where they come together with the rear glass. I'm going to ask dealer to loosen the bolts and re-align, at least on the trunk lid.
Old 04-29-2004, 08:55 PM
Instructor

This is the reason I started this thread. Even the newest ones with VIN #s in the 40Ks are still suffering from this issue. What amazes me is that Acura is doing nothing to correct it. However, take a look in the brochure and you'll see beautifully aligned doors, every one of them. Now, has anyone taken theirs back to see if it could be corrected? I know when I receive my TL I'll have the same issue.
Old 04-30-2004, 04:47 AM
Racer

This is the reason I started this thread. Even the newest ones with VIN #s in the 40Ks are still suffering from this issue. What amazes me is that Acura is doing nothing to correct it. However, take a look in the brochure and you'll see beautifully aligned doors, every one of them. Now, has anyone taken theirs back to see if it could be corrected? I know when I receive my TL I'll have the same issue.
I must have been lucky. I just went and checked my rear door alignment, and it could not be more perfect. In fact, for an early build car (17XXX Vin), I have not had any of the talked about problems, except the seat "alzheimers" problem. My HPT's have been great, no headliner problems, or squeaks or rattles.
I looked very carefully at all the body gaps and joints when I bought the car and found only one joint that was not perfect. The lower skirt under the driver's door does not match up quite "squarely" with the front fender. It is very subtle, and likely not easily repaired as it is a joint, not a gap. The doors on the other hand should be able to be aligned.
Old 04-30-2004, 06:25 AM
Team Anthracite Member

I'm afraid I am falling into the category of choosing to live with some things rather than have them cause more problems trying to fix something. Once I put my own scratches etc. in it...then I will feel less paranoid about anyone else being in it or working on it...I don't like them experimenting with my car - once a fix comes out (for any problem) then I will jump on it.

Old 04-30-2004, 07:47 AM
Instructor

VIN 2xxx and perfect alignment on all panels except rear pastic vent inside rear window behind subwoofer. It appears warped
Old 04-30-2004, 07:48 AM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
i've got misalignment in a couple places. more severe than others (ie: 1/4" gap between plastic "rocker panel" and front quarter panel)