Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maryland dealership service?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2004, 10:31 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maryland dealership service?

My TL (vin 48###) was sitting in my garage for 3 days during the week. Took it out on Friday morning straight to the highway, and noticed some pretty severe vibrations around 60. I assume this to be the typical flat spotting of EL42s that everyone complains about. This was the first time I have noticed it, and the first time my car has sat still for more then a day at a time.

Although I'm confident it won't get me anywhere, I want to bring it to a dealership to get it looked at. I'm hoping they won't give me the "it's normal" crap, because my $11k Hyundai doesn't feel like that at 60mph, so my Acura sure shouldn't. I need to get my clicking brake pedal fixed anyway...

Has anyone had any luck at a Maryland dealership getting a tire issue resolved? I bought my car up in NJ, so I don't have a local dealer I'm familiar with.

Thanks for any help.
Wayne
Old 06-12-2004, 02:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't have any tire issues, but I can tell you that I've used Acura West in Ellicott City for service for three years (for a CL I previously had) and their service department is excellent. This is in stark contrast to their sales department, which is slimy. For this reason, I got my TL at Frankel Acura in Cockeysville - their sales people were great. Naturally I'll try their service department when the time comes, but they have a high bar to meet given the great experiences I've had at Acura West. Give them a try and let us know how it goes. But keep in mind, the whole tire issue is a bit of a "wild card" - some dealers are responding to it proactively, others will not. Good luck.
Old 06-12-2004, 03:46 PM
glg
Intermediate

I have an appointment Monday with Rosenthal Acura in Gaithersburg, MD to get my tires replaced for the same thing! I did take it in a while ago for them to verify the flatspotting but there was no argument and they ordered a new set. Seems to me that since JD Power released not so good results for Acura that the dealership has been trying harder. I'd call you local dealership first since Gaithersburg isn't that close for you but feel free to use my comments for ammo. Best of luck!
Old 06-13-2004, 09:17 AM
Burning Brakes

glg: I had my tires replaced by Rosenthal as well. I must warn you that they scratched all 25 lug nut holes and other areas on the wheels while they were replacing my tires. They ended up sending out my wheels to Wheel Doctors to repair all the scratches. Even though I think they do a good job with what they do, I think you should talk to your service person to use a caution when they take care of your car. They also put numerous black finger prints all over my parchment leather (it was hard to remove them). You may also ask to cover both front seats with plastic bags.
Old 06-13-2004, 10:34 AM
Intermediate

Glad to hear some local dealerships are stepping up and fixing the only negative I have about this car.

Did Rosenthal replace the tires with a different set of EL42s, or did you get to choose an upgrade to Michelins?

Also - how did the dealership verify the flatspotting? The vibration is only severe for the first 15 minutes of my drive after the car has been sitting for a day or two in the same spot, and then it calms down... I would tend to think the dealership would list that as "unable to duplicate".

Thanks again.
Old 06-13-2004, 10:54 AM
Burning Brakes

I got updated EL42s (TU) as I didn't have energy to argue with them. I don't feel any major improvements except the ride is smoother and flatspotting is not as bad (still does for the first 2 miles). They kept the car over night and test drove in the morning. Luckily, the temp. of the morning they test drove was around 42'F (about a month ago), so it was pretty obvious that my tires flatspotted. I think Rosenthal people are very nice and are willing to accomodate customers' needs.
Old 06-13-2004, 10:59 AM
glg
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Novice
glg: I had my tires replaced by Rosenthal as well. I must warn you that they scratched all 25 lug nut holes and other areas on the wheels while they were replacing my tires. They ended up sending out my wheels to Wheel Doctors to repair all the scratches. Even though I think they do a good job with what they do, I think you should talk to your service person to use a caution when they take care of your car. They also put numerous black finger prints all over my parchment leather (it was hard to remove them). You may also ask to cover both front seats with plastic bags.
Novice:
I actually had a similiar experience (few years ago) to what you described with a different vehicle at a local NTB shop. They scratched it good and they paid to have Wheel Doctor redo the entire surface. Based on this I had already planned on being extra cautious with the TL - washed/waxed my wheels this morning so I now the exact condition there are in when I drop it off tomorrow. I've been dealing with Rosenthal for years and have yet to have a problem so I'm very surprised to hear about your experience but I really appreciate you letting me know. Thanks!
Old 06-13-2004, 11:02 AM
Burning Brakes

Sounds good! It could've been just one mechanic who was not paying attention. The funny thing was that there was not even one scratch when they put the repaired wheels back in!
Old 06-13-2004, 11:09 AM
glg
Intermediate

Originally Posted by wdoran
Glad to hear some local dealerships are stepping up and fixing the only negative I have about this car.

Did Rosenthal replace the tires with a different set of EL42s, or did you get to choose an upgrade to Michelins?

Also - how did the dealership verify the flatspotting? The vibration is only severe for the first 15 minutes of my drive after the car has been sitting for a day or two in the same spot, and then it calms down... I would tend to think the dealership would list that as "unable to duplicate".

Thanks again.
I didn't ask about the Michelins as replacements - now that you mention it I'm thinking I probably should have. Anyway I dropped mine off in the morning to have them replace the seat memory module and check out the flat spotting. I told my service advisor that I'd seen a flat spotting TSB on this site talking about how the tech is supposed to do something along the lines of driving the car 20 miles then reducing the tire pressure then drive it for another 20. I voiced my concern over that kind of mileage to "confirm" my flat spotting issue. When I picked up the car there was only like a mile extra so I know they didn't do this test (unless they unhooked something prior).
Old 06-13-2004, 11:14 AM
glg
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Novice
Sounds good! It could've been just one mechanic who was not paying attention. The funny thing was that there was not even one scratch when they put the repaired wheels back in!
Mine too!
The Wheel Doctor (little shack by the airpark when I was there) told me that he resurfaces the entire wheel, so it's like getting a brand new wheel back.
Old 06-13-2004, 05:40 PM
Advanced

Tischer Acura or Norris Acura West for service?

I live almost between these two Maryland dealers. Any recommendations for which would be the best for service?
Old 06-13-2004, 07:13 PM
glg
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rvmeush
I live almost between these two Maryland dealers. Any recommendations for which would be the best for service?
I'd still recommend Rosenthal Acura - they've never done me wrong in the 8yrs I've been going there (Eileen's my service advisor). Provided they change my tires out tomorrow and replace my steering wheel cover (another story/post) I'll be a happy camper. I'll post the results tomorrow either way so you know. No matter where you go always take precautions to protect yourself - like inspecting your car prior and before pickup/drop-off. Just my $.02
Old 06-14-2004, 01:18 AM
Sig Rho's Finest

do you guys think going to a honda dealership for my acura is a stupid thing to do?! i usually take it to college park honda and they have treated me great. the nearest dealer is in bethesda and thats like 20 minz away plus im under 21 so they wont give me a rental. what do you guys think?
Old 12-11-2004, 05:31 PM
Intermediate

Who has had their seats replaced by Rosenthal due to the butt prints? Please note at what mileage so that I have some ammo when I call there on Monday and if there were any issues with scratching of other interior parts. Thanks for your help!
Old 12-11-2004, 05:45 PM
Cruisin'

Just my .02 on the OEM tire issue. I bought a non-nav but insisted on the Michelins replacing the Bridgestones ... they switched my wheels and tires with those off a nav car, I still have the groan/vibration at 1500 rpm in 5th with the OEM supplied Michelins, so the effort to avoid any tire related issue was in vain.
Old 12-11-2004, 11:15 PM
Ex-Acura Service Manager

Jeez, I think they built the building around Eileen, she's been there for years.

NYZ-no, not all. Honda dealers can do any scheduled maintenence on the vehicle, they just can't do warrany work or recalls, you'll have to find an Acura dealer for that.

glg-if that's the type of mileage needed to properly diagnose an issue, so be it. I'd rather them drive more than necessary in order to properly diagnose & correct an issue than the other way around. I drive quite a few cars on a daily basis, and most I drive more than I need, just to be sure.

kt88-a groan/vibration in 5th gear & 1500 rpm is most assuredly a resonance from the engine, which may or may not be a normal characteristic, depending to whom you speak. I personally feel this is normal, as Acura's have been doing this for years. Just my
Old 12-11-2004, 11:18 PM
Ex-Acura Service Manager

I find it interesting that almost no one mentions the dealer I used to work at. We were very busy, and I thought we did excellent work. And no, I won't be telling you guys which one it was. Sorry.

I do some Acura work at the Honda dealer I currently work at, but not much. Mostly old peices of junk.
Old 12-12-2004, 01:53 AM
EVO IX MR

I'd reccomend Tischer. Been there several times, very happy, wish I was still in the area because now I will have to find a nother good dealer to install my headers.