Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Major Issues for Window Tinters

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 11:27 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Exclamation Major Issues for Window Tinters

Let's recap a couple of on-going and old threads on window tinting for important cautions.

1) the TL had a hard rubber wiper on the inside of the window that scratches the tint unless "mole skin" is added to the wiper strip. Extra $$$

2) metallic tints can interfer with the cell phone and with the Navi by partially blocking signals. The antenna for the Navi/GPS is in the rear package shelf.

The fixes:

1) have the mole skin installed or have the installer guarantee no scratches will occur.

2) Get non-metallic tint

Has anyone got any further suggestions or do you have experience with these issues?
Old 04-07-2004, 11:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by xpditor42
Let's recap a couple of on-going and old threads on window tinting for important cautions.

1) the TL had a hard rubber wiper on the inside of the window that scratches the tint unless "mole skin" is added to the wiper strip. Extra $$$

2) metallic tints can interfer with the cell phone and with the Navi by partially blocking signals. The antenna for the Navi/GPS is in the rear package shelf.

The fixes:

1) have the mole skin installed or have the installer guarantee no scratches will occur.

2) Get non-metallic tint

Has anyone got any further suggestions or do you have experience with these issues?
I have experience with #2. I do not have Navi, however, the radio antenna is in my rear window, and I do not have any interference whatsoever from my tint. My cell phone also does not have any problems and I've had the tint since August of 2001. #1 wasn't a problem on my year TL, so I can't help you there.
Old 04-07-2004, 11:45 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts

The fixes:

2) Get non-metallic tint

I have metallic tinit and it shoudl also be noted that it does interfere a bit with regular radio reception, AM more than FM since the antenna is in the rear window. As for the scratching, how quickly does that show up, I had my windows tinted 2 weeks ago and have not used windows much, but don't see any evidence of scratching yet.
Old 04-07-2004, 11:48 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I heard LLumar tint is touted as scratch-proof. Any truth?
Old 04-07-2004, 12:02 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Originally Posted by TLover
Frankly, I don't think any tint can really be "scratch-proof" -- probably a better term is scratch resistant. Until there is a definitive answer as to what works I am really hesitant about getting my windows tinted, even though summer's fast approaching!
Old 04-07-2004, 12:20 PM
Intermediate

Question

Would anyone recommend self installation? If so, is it difficult?
Old 04-07-2004, 12:22 PM
Anthracite Trend Setter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cosmogo
Would anyone recommend self installation? If so, is it difficult?
nope not hard at all
will just look like crap with tons of bubbles
Old 04-07-2004, 12:31 PM
an Acura has-been

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TLover
I had the LLumar tint, it scratched without the moleskin within 3 weeks of limited use.

I would listen to the metalic tint warning for the GPS antenna on the rear deck
Old 04-07-2004, 12:47 PM
Instructor

does anyone rem on where to purchase the mole skin or are these tinting places responsible for it
Old 04-07-2004, 12:55 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
This is where you can buy moleskin;

CR Laurence catalog Part #C5901 1" x 90' moleskin channel liner with adhesive. About $17 per roll (800)-421-6144.

However, your tinter will have it or will buy it.
Old 04-07-2004, 02:32 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I have metallic tint on the back window, and so far, I have had very little problem with GPS. Occasionally when it starts it may not be at the right location, but driving around a little, it snaps to the correct location. Again, this happens very rarely, and I wonder if that's caused by the metal tint or the inherent inaccuracy of GPS from time to time.
Old 04-07-2004, 04:23 PM
Team Anthracite President

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a fix for your to keep your tint from scratching.

I use a clean cotton rag, rap it around my finger and clean the rubber window lips. You will see tons of dirt come off, in fact I repeat this step about 4 -5 times per wash.

The mole skin will work too, but in a year or two, when the mole skin can't hold any more dirt, you'll need to clean it also. I'm not saying this is the magic-cure-all. It's what I do, and it works for me.

Mike Smeezy,
Old 04-07-2004, 04:25 PM

Oh My GOD! I just noticed the Green Dot in the left-had conner!! Am I being followed by Alliens? OMG Help me please! The sky is falling!!! (j/k)

Mike Smeezy,
Old 04-07-2004, 04:44 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Originally Posted by Vffr1
Oh My GOD! I just noticed the Green Dot in the left-had conner!! Am I being followed by Alliens? OMG Help me please! The sky is falling!!! (j/k)

Mike Smeezy,
Hahahaha.. a combination of funny comments from different threads. Classic. =) Hey, who elected you President?!#!% I haven't even seen a picture of your car yet. Who knows if you really even own an Anthracite.
Old 04-07-2004, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Lore
Hahahaha.. a combination of funny comments from different threads. Classic. =) Hey, who elected you President?!#!% I haven't even seen a picture of your car yet. Who knows if you really even own an Anthracite.
(glad at least one person got that Ha Ha!)

Anway, I admit it was self-appointed, but since I started the whole "Team Anthracite" thing, I figured, what the heck!

The only problem is my car is pretty much stock and I think the President should at least have nice rims.... Lore for President??

Mike Smeezy,
Old 04-07-2004, 07:56 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Originally Posted by Vffr1
(glad at least one person got that Ha Ha!)

Anway, I admit it was self-appointed, but since I started the whole "Team Anthracite" thing, I figured, what the heck!

The only problem is my car is pretty much stock and I think the President should at least have nice rims.... Lore for President??

Mike Smeezy,
SERIOUSLY. And I just got the nice rims too, so I think I'm up for the running. The total post count has got to count for something, too.