Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maintenance reminder

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2003, 09:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 694 Likes on 536 Posts
Maintenance reminder

'04 TL claims to have automatic maintance reminder that does not go by miles, but rather uses other factors like your driving habbits to tell you when to change oil and other fluids.
How does this work exactly? Which factors does it consider? Is it just considering time and miles? Or its more advanced than that?

I don't know if its a myth, but I heard expensive mercedes do oil analysis and tell you exactly when oil needs to be changed.
Old 11-13-2003, 09:33 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Maintenance reminder

Originally posted by russianDude
'04 TL claims to have automatic maintance reminder that does not go by miles, but rather uses other factors like your driving habbits to tell you when to change oil and other fluids.
How does this work exactly? Which factors does it consider? Is it just considering time and miles? Or its more advanced than that?

I don't know if its a myth, but I heard expensive mercedes do oil analysis and tell you exactly when oil needs to be changed.
The maintenance minder system seems very advanced on the TL.

It somehow works based on if you stop and go often or are running on open road.

It gives you a code as to what itels you need taken care of. The TL does NOT come with a maintenence schedule book like most cars.

The code may be something like A2345

This means service A and sections 2345 need to be done next time you have your car serviced.

Very good feature.

On my old car, I used to go by the oil life only.. the rest of the stuff I had to keep track of or take the lying dealers word.
Old 11-13-2003, 09:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Re: Re: Maintenance reminder

Originally posted by MikeRadio
The maintenance minder system seems very advanced on the TL
"advanced", this depends what you consider advanced.... could be just marketing scheme. It is certainly more advanced then periodic 7500 miles timer on older TL but I would like to know exactly what it does.... not just some brochures that say "its very advanced"
Old 11-13-2003, 09:59 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Re: Re: Maintenance reminder

Originally posted by russianDude
"advanced", this depends what you consider advanced.... could be just marketing scheme. It is certainly more advanced then periodic 7500 miles timer on older TL but I would like to know exactly what it does.... not just some brochures that say "its very advanced"
It is in the manual. It explains it in depth.

If you do not want to believe what it says, then that is your option, I suppose.
Old 11-13-2003, 10:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Re: Re: Re: Re: Maintenance reminder

Originally posted by MikeRadio
It is in the manual. It explains it in depth.

If you do not want to believe what it says, then that is your option, I suppose.
I dont have the manual. I want to know how it does for oil.
Old 12-08-2003, 04:40 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
After driving my 04 TL for consecutive 10 days trip and putting on 3k miles, I start to have some interesting but confused thoughts in every thread I have posted or asked. This is one of them. After reviewing the info of "Maintenance Minder", I would call it as "MM", at Page 193. 'Cause I don't have any minder info yet, the scenario below is just from my queer notion.

My MID has shown 40% OIL LIFE at 4500 miles now. It's approaching...

MM supposes to display the multiple maintenance info/items on it as well as show "service DUE SOON, DUE NOW, or PAST DUE" with items "A/B" plus "1-5". After having dealers/shops to replace or inspect whatever MM has said, the dealers or you will need to reset those items by pressing/holding Select/Reset button for about 10 secs. This is what the owner manual is saying.

Since regularly MID only can present "OIL LIFE" under your odometer & trip meter, the only technique to see other info/items is to wait for MM flaunts when time is ready.

So this is the problem now. Due to the situation I described above, I can change oil anytime I like then reset "OIL LIFE" back to 100% afterwards 'cause it's on MID all the time.

But, if I have my other parts or stuff replaced/modified, I would have no way to reset my MM, such as "rotate tires" or "replace transmission fluid". (For example, if I have my tires rotated or trans fluid replaced at 6k miles, due to no display in MM, I cannot reset it and MM would continue to count itself. When MM finally displays the "DUE NOW B1 3", this would be the only time I can reset it, but it has been days late from the date I have done the changes. In other words, this means I'm never able to set the correct schedule in the future to remind myself of any my-own-scheduled replacements if I start to do my own change without chasing MM directions.)

Does this sound reasonable? If yes, it's the stupid bug and Acura should make MID able to put on view with all Maintenance Main Items in order for self-reset by drivers.

The P.199 says, If the message, "SERVICE DUE NOW" does not appear more than 12 months after the display is reset, change the engine oil every year. Also, at the same page, Independent of the maintenance messages in the MID, replace the brake fluid every 3 years. If my theory is correct and true, unfortunately these two situations may just mess up the whole MM system in the future if your TL goes to this point.

Also, does this mean we have to follow MM system to do whatever it says, except the oil/filter change? If ppl buy the used 04 TL from the dealers, will they be able to trust MM system?

Or, Acura dealers are able to access MM by particular connection and do all the necessary reset for us? Is this the way to prevent other shops or owners working on 04 TL ?

Please let me know if you think I'm out of my mind. Thanks a lot.