Sponsored by:

Looking For Specific Shift Knob

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 10:31 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking For Specific Shift Knob

2004 TL 6MT

I love my Mishimoto shift knob. Great weight, great height, great feel. I'll be doing the CT short shifter upgrade soon and it will feel even nicer then. Anyway, I'm wondering if there is a shift knob out there this same style, tall, cylindrical, not too thick, but that is deeply countersunk? Basically, I would like something that goes down to where the shift rod starts to bend. This would still give me this style shift knob, but allow the overall knob to sit lower, of course depending on the height of the knob itself. I have the Mishimoto screwed down as far as it will go. I can't seem to find a good weighted, countersunk shift knob like this.

Any suggestions?

Old 05-06-2019, 11:08 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,582 Likes on 6,629 Posts
Cut your shifter rod and then rethread it yourself!
Old 05-06-2019, 11:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 356 Likes on 239 Posts
Originally Posted by thoiboi
Cut your shifter rod and then rethread it yourself!
It would be better to drill the shiftier and re tap it to get the height vs modifying the car shift lever.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,582 Likes on 6,629 Posts
Originally Posted by 6spd-GERCO
It would be better to drill the shiftier and re tap it to get the height vs modifying the car shift lever.
But it might take away from the "weight" that OP wants.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:01 PM
Cruisin'

Both options did occur to me, but it's not worth that much effort to me. If I can't find anything like what I described I'll just stick with the Mishimoto for now, do the CT short shifter and K-Tuned cable bushings, and cinch the boot up so it looks nice.
Old 05-06-2019, 04:31 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,158 Likes on 909 Posts
check out raceseng shift knobs. top quality, variety of options
Old 05-06-2019, 04:33 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by sockr1
check out raceseng shift knobs. top quality, variety of options
That's hilarious, I was just looking at them today. They've been on my list for a while. They definitely seem top notch, I just don't know if I want to drop almost $200 on a shift knob + boot adapter. Very nice looking products for sure.

Also how do you say their name? "Race Seng," "Races Eng(ineering)" . . . . ??

https://www.raceseng.com/
Old 05-06-2019, 05:23 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by AT_AT_888
That's hilarious, I was just looking at them today. They've been on my list for a while. They definitely seem top notch, I just don't know if I want to drop almost $200 on a shift knob + boot adapter. Very nice looking products for sure.

Also how do you say their name? "Race Seng," "Races Eng(ineering)" . . . . ??

https://www.raceseng.com/
small world haha. i look at it this way...if i use it enough and it can make that big of a difference, i'm ok paying for quality. that was also my mind set on upgrading my steering wheel. both things i use every single time i drive

it's like "racing" haha.
they are worth every penny. they have one sale a year at black friday and it's 20 percent off. i've convinced about 10 people to get their knobs and they all love them. it improves everything about shifting.

here's my write up review:

https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...t-knob-957584/
Old 05-07-2019, 10:55 AM
Cruisin'

I don't think they're overpriced for their quality, and I believe in paying for quality. Just for me personally and for this car, I don't know if I want to spend that much. Their products and the way they work together, i.e. the shift boot adapter and the way it fits into the knob, is the cleanest and smartest design I've ever seen. For clarification though, the top machine screw shown in this pic from your review is what you use to align the shift knob so the shift pattern is straight, correct? So you need to set it and try the shift knob multiple times to get the perfect alignment? I'm just clarifying the way it works so I understand.

Old 05-07-2019, 11:04 AM
Safety Car

I don't think they're overpriced for their quality, and I believe in paying for quality. Just for me personally and for this car, I don't know if I want to spend that much. Their products and the way they work together, i.e. the shift boot adapter and the way it fits into the knob, is the cleanest and smartest design I've ever seen. For clarification though, the top machine screw shown in this pic from your review is what you use to align the shift knob so the shift pattern is straight, correct? So you need to set it and try the shift knob multiple times to get the perfect alignment? I'm just clarifying the way it works so I understand.
yup that's correct, and you can also control the height of the shift knob. it takes a few efforts to get it exactly how you want but the ability to dial that in perfect is great.
i agree with you, one of the main selling points was how the boot adapter fit in seamlessly. i'm all about getting things looking oem and this was the icing on the cake. if you want to see some of their other knobs check them out on IG...they take huge pride in taking great pictures and good marketing.

as a heads up, right now (not sure how much longer they will have it) they have a rare 10% off and free shipping...
Old 05-07-2019, 11:24 AM
Cruisin'

I saw that. I also just created an account so I got a 10% code for signing up as well. Man they're stuff is nice...
Old 05-07-2019, 11:59 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by thoiboi
But it might take away from the "weight" that OP wants.
Meh, weighed knobs are pretty gimmicky IMO.
The following users liked this post:
Acura TL Builder (05-15-2019)
Old 05-07-2019, 12:03 PM
Cruisin'

Oh, I disagree. I love the added counterweight of a weighted knob. Shifter goes into gear smoother. Now I have had shifter extenders before, and the weighted knob was too much with that setup because the added height/length of the shifter provides the same effect. Without an extender, I prefer a weighted knob.
Old 05-07-2019, 01:18 PM
Safety Car

Oh, I disagree. I love the added counterweight of a weighted knob. Shifter goes into gear smoother. Now I have had shifter extenders before, and the weighted knob was too much with that setup because the added height/length of the shifter provides the same effect. Without an extender, I prefer a weighted knob.
i agree completely with you about a weighted shifter, i've gone through the OEM knob, the skunk2, and now raceseng...they make a huge difference in my opinion. i can flick my wrist so easily and quickly and everything feels butter smooth. i'll never run a non-weighted knob.

make the raceseng happen...they're sooo nice
Old 05-08-2019, 07:26 AM
Burning Brakes

I had a Maven weighted shift knob on my TL, I switched back to OEM. It's a personal preference... to me a weighted shift lever knob mutes the feel of the shift mechanism.
The following users liked this post:
Acura TL Builder (05-15-2019)