Looking for an LED Headlight conversion kit - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

Notices
Third Generation TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for an LED Headlight conversion kit

 
Old 06-15-2018, 10:32 PM
  #1  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 152
Thanked 35 Times in 25 Posts
Looking for an LED Headlight conversion kit

Ok let me start by saying: I know everyone loves the TL HID's and dont do it and so on... Well I hate my HID's they only work when they feel like it. I have replaced bulbs, ballasts, igniters, aftermarket and stock kits over and over and im sick of it. I dont even use the HID's now, I drive with the fog lights at night lol.

I think the car might have aftermarket headlight enclosures causing all these issues but I cant tell. Driving down the highway having your headlights shut off isnt fun. I have tried everything under the sun to make them reliable. The problem seems to be where the igniter sits on the bulb, that is ALWAYS burnt. That is the reason I think they might be aftermarket enclosures, the gap between the bulb and igniter connector isn't sloe enough. It happens on both sides.

Sooooo I want to try and find an LED kit that would be much more reliable. I cant seem to find a kit for the D2S bulb style. I did find one set but they want $175 crazy lol...

Anyone ever done this switch?
NitroViper is offline  
Old 06-15-2018, 10:35 PM
  #2  
Registered Member
iTrader: (2)
 
horseshoez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Southern New Hampshire
Age: 62
Posts: 4,251
Thanked 736 Times in 561 Posts
Sorry, until you figure out what is wrong with your current setup, it is exceedingly likely you'll have the same issues (and more) with an LED setup.
horseshoez is online now  
Old 06-15-2018, 11:32 PM
  #3  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 152
Thanked 35 Times in 25 Posts
^ Not what I asked
NitroViper is offline  
Old 06-16-2018, 04:12 AM
  #4  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 90
Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts
First link i've found.
LINK
I don't want to start discussion about buying from China here. My personal opinion is nowadays most staff is chinees shit, just rebranded for local markets 🤨

Just one more thing - here in EU if accident would happen and it would appear that your custom made headlights were the cause, you will have to pay the compensation (car repair, personal harm). Of course it would end up in the court but you would loose the case when you would face the average mechanics aware lawyer or victim.

Last edited by mariusz439; 06-16-2018 at 04:26 AM.
mariusz439 is offline  
Old 06-16-2018, 10:08 AM
  #5  
Registered Member
iTrader: (2)
 
horseshoez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Southern New Hampshire
Age: 62
Posts: 4,251
Thanked 736 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by mariusz439 View Post
First link i've found.
LINK
I don't want to start discussion about buying from China here. My personal opinion is nowadays most staff is chinees shit, just rebranded for local markets 🤨

Just one more thing - here in EU if accident would happen and it would appear that your custom made headlights were the cause, you will have to pay the compensation (car repair, personal harm). Of course it would end up in the court but you would loose the case when you would face the average mechanics aware lawyer or victim.
Non DOT approved headlights (or modified headlight assemblies) here in the U.S. can also end up in court if there is an accident; and any half way decent lawyer will win a case against someone with such a mod.
horseshoez is online now  
Old 06-16-2018, 06:02 PM
  #6  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 152
Thanked 35 Times in 25 Posts
Aything is safer then how my headlights dont work now and shut off going down the highway. I know its the connection between the igniter and bulb... it always makes a bzzzz sound, I have to turn the know 1 to 50 times to get one to come on, which ever side feels like it wants to mess up. Thats what makes me think these are aftermarket headlight housings and the socket isn't made to spec.
NitroViper is offline  
Old 06-16-2018, 06:13 PM
  #7  
Registered Member
iTrader: (2)
 
horseshoez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Southern New Hampshire
Age: 62
Posts: 4,251
Thanked 736 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by NitroViper View Post
Aything is safer then how my headlights dont work now and shut off going down the highway. I know its the connection between the igniter and bulb... it always makes a bzzzz sound, I have to turn the know 1 to 50 times to get one to come on, which ever side feels like it wants to mess up. Thats what makes me think these are aftermarket headlight housings and the socket isn't made to spec.
Here's the thing, you are guessing as to the source of your issue, and as such, you're proposing throwing parts at an undiagnosed issue in the hopes of solving it. As a general rule, unless you get lucky, this is almost always the least efficient and most expensive way of solving a problem. My recommendation would be to get the issue professionally diagnosed, then make your decision on what to do after that.
horseshoez is online now  
Old 06-16-2018, 06:36 PM
  #8  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 152
Thanked 35 Times in 25 Posts
I actually went to school for auto mechanics, so It isnt like I am new to automotive issues. The common issue Ive have noticed out of all replaced parts was a burnt igniter connection. That tells me something is not right at this connection. Either the igniter isn't pressing far enough onto the bulb or a out of spec socket on a aftermarket headlight enclosure. I actually took a cone like piece of metal and put it over the end of the bulb connector to make a tighter connection. This worked for about 6 months and started happening again. ALOT of voltage goes through this connection and it eventually burns that connector out.

If I could get an HID kit that has wires directly connected to the bulb and eliminates the igniter at that connection I bet the problem would be resolved.
NitroViper is offline  
Old 06-16-2018, 10:44 PM
  #9  
Registered Member
iTrader: (2)
 
horseshoez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Southern New Hampshire
Age: 62
Posts: 4,251
Thanked 736 Times in 561 Posts
Good luck; keep us posted either way.
horseshoez is online now  
Old 06-17-2018, 01:25 AM
  #10  
Moderator
 
thoiboi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SoCal, CA
Posts: 37,038
Thanked 5,718 Times in 4,584 Posts
A proper LEGIT D2S igniter (OEM or proper aftermarket) should never have issues with burnt ends.. SOunds like you're buying counterfeit parts.

Putting LED in a D2S projector is stupid, I didn't even need to go to automotive school to know this

If your headlamp assemblies don't have HONDA stamped on the front corner, it's not OEM. Sounds like your issue is with poor aftermarket products, yet you still want to get some craptastic LED kits to put in there


Check out www.theretrofitsource.com for some good quality aftermarket HID kits. If your headlamps are bad, I'd say buy new ones.
thoiboi is offline  
Old 06-17-2018, 01:27 AM
  #11  
Moderator
 
thoiboi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SoCal, CA
Posts: 37,038
Thanked 5,718 Times in 4,584 Posts
Originally Posted by NitroViper View Post
I actually went to school for auto mechanics, so It isnt like I am new to automotive issues. The common issue Ive have noticed out of all replaced parts was a burnt igniter connection. That tells me something is not right at this connection. Either the igniter isn't pressing far enough onto the bulb or a out of spec socket on a aftermarket headlight enclosure. I actually took a cone like piece of metal and put it over the end of the bulb connector to make a tighter connection. This worked for about 6 months and started happening again. ALOT of voltage goes through this connection and it eventually burns that connector out.

If I could get an HID kit that has wires directly connected to the bulb and eliminates the igniter at that connection I bet the problem would be resolved.


dafuq... you have no clue what you're talking about despite trying to throw in your schooling as some sort of supporting/justifying credentials. Sounds like you have no idea how High Intensity Discharge lamps...


Here's a link, educate yourself
thoiboi is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to thoiboi For This Useful Post:
horseshoez (06-17-2018)
Old 06-17-2018, 02:23 AM
  #12  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 152
Thanked 35 Times in 25 Posts
dafuq? Some sweet mod language you have going on there.

Tell me what I posted that was not correct? You sound like a fool. Your whole post is of accusations and assumptions. For example, the car had all OEM HID components to start. The Headlight enclosures are the only thing in question.
NitroViper is offline  
Old 06-17-2018, 04:41 AM
  #13  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 90
Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by horseshoez View Post
Non DOT approved headlights (or modified headlight assemblies) here in the U.S. can also end up in court if there is an accident; and any half way decent lawyer will win a case against someone with such a mod.
Do they approve replacement kits or headlights with those kits in?
mariusz439 is offline  
Old 06-17-2018, 07:07 PM
  #14  
Registered Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Boston
Age: 32
Posts: 115
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
The OEM headlight setup is the most reliable. Spend the extra money for all the OEM components and forget all problems.
theCoffeeFiend is offline  
Old 06-17-2018, 10:07 PM
  #15  
Moderator
 
thoiboi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SoCal, CA
Posts: 37,038
Thanked 5,718 Times in 4,584 Posts
So then replace assemblies ! Problem solved!
thoiboi is offline  
Old 06-17-2018, 10:12 PM
  #16  
Moderator
 
thoiboi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SoCal, CA
Posts: 37,038
Thanked 5,718 Times in 4,584 Posts
Welcome to AZ, I'm not here to hold your hand, I'm here to help you fix problems sorry if you feel like my language is too rough for you

And I quoted and bolded what you said was "incorrect" . Here it is again:

If I could get an HID kit that has wires directly connected to the bulb and eliminates the igniter at that connection I bet the problem would be resolved.
thoiboi is offline  
Old 06-17-2018, 10:41 PM
  #17  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 152
Thanked 35 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by thoiboi View Post
Welcome to AZ, I'm not here to hold your hand, I'm here to help you fix problems sorry if you feel like my language is too rough for you

And I quoted and bolded what you said was "incorrect" . Here it is again:

What is wrong with what I said? Elimitate the igniter at that connection? You know the igniter could be somewhere else correct? Like in the bulb itself, or in the ballast.... Again tell me what I said that was incorrect.
NitroViper is offline  
Old 06-18-2018, 01:18 AM
  #18  
Moderator
 
thoiboi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SoCal, CA
Posts: 37,038
Thanked 5,718 Times in 4,584 Posts
Originally Posted by NitroViper View Post
What is wrong with what I said? Elimitate the igniter at that connection? You know the igniter could be somewhere else correct? Like in the bulb itself, or in the ballast.... Again tell me what I said that was incorrect.
I've never heard of a bulb with a built in igniter..


Show me examples of either of these scenarios...

thoiboi is offline  
Old 06-18-2018, 03:02 AM
  #19  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 152
Thanked 35 Times in 25 Posts
d5s bulbs have the igniter and ballast built onto the base of the bulb.

d1s The igniter is built into the bulb here instead of being part of the ballast system.

JDM makes a ballasts with built in Ignitors...

Volvo makes igniters built into the ballast...

Maybe you are the one that should do research lol.
NitroViper is offline  
Old 06-18-2018, 09:18 AM
  #20  
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)
iTrader: (1)
 
gatrhumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Age: 39
Posts: 33,111
Thanked 1,103 Times in 738 Posts
Links to above?
gatrhumpy is online now  
Old 06-18-2018, 12:34 PM
  #21  
Moderator
 
thoiboi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SoCal, CA
Posts: 37,038
Thanked 5,718 Times in 4,584 Posts
Now find me D2S versions of those...


I'll wait

I fail to see why finding completely different applications that won't work for you sounds like a win in your book.. Do you plan on adapting a D5S or D1S bulb into your car?

Last edited by thoiboi; 06-18-2018 at 12:37 PM.
thoiboi is offline  
Old 06-18-2018, 01:04 PM
  #22  
Registered Member
 
truonghthe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Age: 30
Posts: 6,619
Thanked 977 Times in 839 Posts
Didn't TRS had a video compare between Halogen vs HID vs LED using a Mazda projector lens?

OP may be you should try to ask those guy on 3g TL FB group? they have ton experts in that group.
truonghthe is offline  
Old 06-18-2018, 01:06 PM
  #23  
Moderator
 
thoiboi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SoCal, CA
Posts: 37,038
Thanked 5,718 Times in 4,584 Posts
Originally Posted by truonghthe View Post
Didn't TRS had a video compare between Halogen vs HID vs LED using a Mazda projector lens?

OP may be you should try to ask those guy on 3g TL FB group? they have ton experts in that group.

they did, but that requires research.
thoiboi is offline  
Old 06-18-2018, 01:12 PM
  #24  
Registered Member
 
truonghthe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Age: 30
Posts: 6,619
Thanked 977 Times in 839 Posts
^^^lmao, the best part is I didn't research that.
truonghthe is offline  
Old 06-18-2018, 03:08 PM
  #25  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 152
Thanked 35 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by thoiboi View Post
Now find me D2S versions of those...


I'll wait

I fail to see why finding completely different applications that won't work for you sounds like a win in your book.. Do you plan on adapting a D5S or D1S bulb into your car?
How many times do I have to prove you wrong before you drop your ego?


NitroViper is offline  
Old 06-18-2018, 03:24 PM
  #26  
Registered Member
 
truonghthe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Age: 30
Posts: 6,619
Thanked 977 Times in 839 Posts
I am not trying to be a jerk but all HID will require "igniter" to work, its either built with the base of the bulbs (D1 and D3 R/S) beside the voltage operating difference and being "eco friendly they are the same concept but "not interchangeable" without replace the ballast and igniter. This story goes the same for D2S and D4S HID.

Lumens Replacement Factory OE Xenon HID Parts - D1, D2, D3, D4 Bulbs

Before you making a fool out of yourself, that like saying if you can make a gasoline engine work without spark plugs.
truonghthe is offline  
Old 06-18-2018, 04:15 PM
  #27  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 152
Thanked 35 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by truonghthe View Post
I am not trying to be a jerk but all HID will require "igniter" to work, its either built with the base of the bulbs (D1 and D3 R/S) beside the voltage operating difference and being "eco friendly they are the same concept but "not interchangeable" without replace the ballast and igniter. This story goes the same for D2S and D4S HID.

Lumens Replacement Factory OE Xenon HID Parts - D1, D2, D3, D4 Bulbs

Before you making a fool out of yourself, that like saying if you can make a gasoline engine work without spark plugs.
Never said there wasn't an igniter if you read the post. They can be located in other hardware, Ballast, Bulb, Igniter cable... I simply said remove the igniter connection at the headlight housing because they may be aftermarket..

Is reading comprehension not understood on these forums? lol
You should learn to read whole threads before you make stupid statements.

Last edited by NitroViper; 06-18-2018 at 04:19 PM.
NitroViper is offline  
Old 06-18-2018, 04:19 PM
  #28  
Registered Member
iTrader: (2)
 
horseshoez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Southern New Hampshire
Age: 62
Posts: 4,251
Thanked 736 Times in 561 Posts
Folks, apparently NitroViper has it all figured out; maybe we should wait for him to school the lot of us.


Or not.
horseshoez is online now  
Old 06-18-2018, 04:25 PM
  #29  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 152
Thanked 35 Times in 25 Posts
Lol a bunch of sheep on this forum. EGO's to big because they post here alot.

What is so hard to understand? I proved your master wrong over and over and you have no backup. It turned to insults because you have no arguments...

It's funny actually.
NitroViper is offline  
Old 06-18-2018, 04:26 PM
  #30  
Registered Member
 
TheSauceBoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Columbus, OH
Age: 24
Posts: 197
Thanked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Forget about paying hundreds of dollars for a new housing/ballast/bulb/igniter/etc. Just install one of these
TheSauceBoss is offline  
Old 06-18-2018, 04:52 PM
  #31  
Registered Member
 
truonghthe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Age: 30
Posts: 6,619
Thanked 977 Times in 839 Posts
Originally Posted by NitroViper View Post
I actually went to school for auto mechanics, so It isnt like I am new to automotive issues.

If I could get an HID kit that has wires directly connected to the bulb and eliminates the igniter at that connection I bet the problem would be resolved.
Originally Posted by NitroViper View Post
Never said there wasn't an igniter if you read the post. They can be located in other hardware, Ballast, Bulb, Igniter cable... I simply said remove the igniter connection at the headlight housing because they may be aftermarket..

Is reading comprehension not understood on these forums? lol
You should learn to read whole threads before you make stupid statements.
I said before all HID D1,D2,D3D4 and D5 can't run mix match component. I don't know if I have problem with comprehend what being said or the person making a stupid statement in BOLD above.

Do us a favor please sticking to your FB group lmao.
truonghthe is offline  
Old 06-18-2018, 04:59 PM
  #32  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 152
Thanked 35 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by truonghthe View Post
I said before all HID D1,D2,D3D4 and D5 can't run mix match component. I don't know if I have problem with comprehend what being said or the person making a stupid statement in BOLD above.

Do us a favor please sticking to your FB group lmao.
at that connection....
That doesn't mean eliminate it all together because you cant... lmao.

But yea, Im done talking to fools.
NitroViper is offline  
Old 06-18-2018, 09:35 PM
  #33  
Moderator
 
thoiboi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SoCal, CA
Posts: 37,038
Thanked 5,718 Times in 4,584 Posts
k bye


thoiboi is offline  
Old 06-18-2018, 09:37 PM
  #34  
Moderator
 
thoiboi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SoCal, CA
Posts: 37,038
Thanked 5,718 Times in 4,584 Posts
Originally Posted by NitroViper View Post
How many times do I have to prove you wrong before you drop your ego?


Reading comprehension is hard buddy? Neither of those bulbs are D2S applications...
Originally Posted by thoiboi View Post
Now find me D2S versions of those...


I'll wait

I fail to see why finding completely different applications that won't work for you sounds like a win in your book.. Do you plan on adapting a D5S or D1S bulb into your car?



Care to try again or is your ego too big you can't admit when you're wrong?
thoiboi is offline  
Old 06-18-2018, 10:20 PM
  #35  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 152
Thanked 35 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by thoiboi View Post
Reading comprehension is hard buddy? Neither of those bulbs are D2S applications...



Care to try again or is your ego too big you can't admit when you're wrong?
LMAO you're an idiot... Those are D2H bulbs a variant of the D2S bulb used for applications when there isnt room for an igniter at the headlamp enclosure. The igniter is in the ballast.

I had no choice but to reply to you stupidity... Have fun giving acurazine members false info.

Goodbye, thanks for zero info whatsoever haha.
NitroViper is offline  
Old 06-18-2018, 11:28 PM
  #36  
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)
iTrader: (1)
 
gatrhumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Age: 39
Posts: 33,111
Thanked 1,103 Times in 738 Posts
Nitro, you should try to get an LED kit and see what works on your car. Take some pictures too. I would love to see those.
gatrhumpy is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to gatrhumpy For This Useful Post:
TheSauceBoss (06-19-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 10:13 AM
  #37  
Registered Member
 
truonghthe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Age: 30
Posts: 6,619
Thanked 977 Times in 839 Posts
I told OP to stick to 3G TL FB group lmfao.
truonghthe is offline  
Old 06-19-2018, 10:40 AM
  #38  
Registered Member
 
peter6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Age: 22
Posts: 390
Thanked 69 Times in 63 Posts
All right, guy knows that it's not the best idea but wants to proceed anyways. Why not help him?

I googled "d2s led" and found those:

Amazon Amazon
D2H/D2S: 2Stroke - LED Bulbs from Morimoto HID

No idea if they are any good, but they exist.

Stay away from 9000W kits. I would say anybody that promises more than 35W per bulb is probably overrating them.
Ebay is most likely full of crap, Amazon might be better, Retrofit source or morimito are probably best quality, but also quite pricey.
6000k is probably good enough, don't go higher as they will be blue (which is common for cheap leds)


Couple things to consider:
1. What if current issue with headlights turning off is because of the switch, or some wiring before the balast. It's important as most likely LED bulbs will be connected to the same wires, thus having the same problem.
2. LEDs don't like heat. They hate it. No idea how well (how reliable) they can be, if mounted inside the closed headlight. They are also longer, so they might not fit under the covers.
3. You will most likely need to tap into power wires going into the balast, as I highly doubt that leds will come with exact same connector.
peter6 is online now  
Old 06-21-2018, 01:46 PM
  #39  
Moderator
 
thoiboi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SoCal, CA
Posts: 37,038
Thanked 5,718 Times in 4,584 Posts
Well then I stand corrected .

Buy that D2H bulb from TRS and then also buy one of their Morimoto Elite HID kits.


then get the Matsushita male end so you can plug directly into your existing wiring: https://www.theretrofitsource.com/al...epair-kit.html

Should give you the results you want
thoiboi is offline  
Old 06-21-2018, 02:31 PM
  #40  
Registered Member
 
TacoBello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: In an igloo
Posts: 30,496
Thanked 4,403 Times in 3,312 Posts
Either way, the TL system looks more or less like this:


With the only thing not shown is the relay, as far as I can tell.

If you've replaced the bulbs and ballasts, It's either the igniter or wiring harness. Doubt its the relay, as both lights wouldn't work then. If you're hearing buzzing, I would assume the ballast is working. Which further leads me to wonder if it is just the igniter. I'm having a hard time remembering, but I thought the igniter was within the ballast on the TL, is it not? Memory is not serving me well here.
TacoBello is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking for an LED Headlight conversion kit


Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.