Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at an 06 Base and have a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 11:22 AM
Cruisin'

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Looking at an 06 Base and have a few questions

I'm new to the forum, but been a car guys for years. My son is looking at an 06 TL Base and I have a few questions. I have been searching and reading threads and this forum has a tremendous amount of information, but has been overwhelming to find the specifics. We are planning to complete the purchase tomorrow, so want to make sure I am well informed first. So a couple of questions to the group:
  1. Seller said it has a "Type S A Spec suspension with coil overs". The previous owner installed it so he doesn't know much about it. We test drove the car and it handled well. Just want to validate is this a good suspension mod for this car or does it bring with it problems?
  2. Car has 120k miles and seller got it with 110k on it. He doesn't know any details about previous service before he got it. I asked if it had the timing belt/water pump service done and he doesn't know. He said previous owner was an engineer and meticulous with the car, but who knows for sure. Is there a visual way to determine if this service has been performed? Do the timing belts have a readable date code on them and if so, is it relatively easy to see it? Any advice other than when in doubt, replace it yourself?
  3. Car has a vibration felt in the seat, not the wheel at highway speed. Feels like in rear of the car. Tires are newer and have tons of tread. I suppose could be an out of balance tire or bad tire itself, but are there any know failures in these cars that would cause this symptom? Axle/CV joints? Control arm bushings etc?
  4. Seller replaced the mufflers or resonators with straight pipe and the car sounds terrible. Just loud without any good tone. So we will be setting back to stock or a good sounding aftermarket. What is recommended on the budget? My son is a college student and doesn't have a lot of money to throw at it now.
  5. Anything else I should know before he purchases the car?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:28 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,582 Likes on 6,629 Posts
1. it's good.
2.Without removing the cover, hard to tell.
3. hard to tell, take it to a shop for a PPI
4. go back to stock
5. Is it automatic? the 04-06 TL's have had bad transmissions so maybe stay away from it..

A pre-purchase inspection can rule out many of your concerns as well and can be had for typically 150$ or so
Old 08-14-2018, 11:44 AM
Cruisin'

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
It is an automatic and seems to shift good and firm. This is the extent of service related information provided, much was done by the owner previous to current seller:
- synthetic oil changes every 5k miles w/ filter
- brake fluid change
- transmission fluid change every 30k miles
- pressure switches replaced in the trans at 80k miles to prolong component life
- brakes and rotors replaced at 110k miles
- power steering fluid change with pump O-rings replaced at 90k miles
- recent front end alignment
- recent battery replacement

Is the timing belt cover easily (relatively) removable?