Sponsored by:

Keep or sell - 3G Type-S

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 02:12 PM
Pro

Received 102 Likes on 91 Posts
Keep or sell - 3G Type-S

Hey all,

Looking to get some feedback for a problem that I have, although I must admit it's a nice problem to have.

I've been working overseas for the past 4 years and my Type-S has been with me the whole time.

I've been offered a 2-year assignment in China and have been given 3 options regarding my car:

1) Ship it to China with the rest of my belongings at the employer's expense (The car meets the Chinese regulations for emissions)
2) Ship it back home at the employer's expense, and store it free of charge for the next 2 years
3) Sell the car, pocket the cash and add it to the new car fund when I eventually move back home

The car currently has 54K miles and has held up very well. I stil love driving it and looking at it (yes I still look back at it when I walk away lol), so I'm still undecided on what to do.

I'm moving to a major city in China, where public transport is cheap and plentiful and driving is a nightmare, so I'm not sure if I would actually bother driving the car, plus I'd be paying for gas//insurance/maintenance on a car that I would barely use.

Option 2 seemed attractive, since I won't have to pay for shipping/storage fees. Only downside is they'll basically store the car in a garage for 2 years without taking care of it, so I'll probably have to shell out a few hundred bucks to get it up to code with new fluids, battery, tires, and probably other things I'm not thinking of right now.

Option 3 may be the least attractive and most difficult to pull off. I'm currently in the Middle East where Acura isn't a well known brand (with the exception of the UAE), so I probably wouldn't get as much money for it as I would back home (or maybe if I sold it in China?), unless I sell it to another foreigner who is familiar with Acura.

Right now I'm leaning towards option 2 because I still like the car, and I don't have to pay for shipping/storage. Also, I'm still undecided about what my next car will be so when I eventually come home, at least I'll have something to drive until I make my decision.

I have to give them my decision by the end of the week. Grateful for any input, comments, situations that maybe I haven't thought about...

Thanks!
Old 04-24-2017, 02:14 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
given all the reasons why 1 and 3 are wrong for you, option 2 sounds great!
The following users liked this post:
M.I.N.O. (04-25-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 02:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 360 Likes on 319 Posts
#2 seems to be the best bet for you.
M.I.N.O. (04-25-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 02:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 307 Likes on 214 Posts
Sounds like #2 is a good choice...it's good you're planning to do a fluid refresh right before you put her away. Do you have any more info on the storage option? Is it climate controlled? If it's outdoors you need to account for mice and other critters.

Obviously if possible, try to arrange somebody to start it up and run it once a month for at least 15 minutes. This will probably require a trickle charger for the battery.

If not, and you're going for the long haul of 2 years, be sure to:

- Disconnect the battery (duh).
- Avoid using the E-brake (I've heard that prolonged pressure between the pad and the rotor can be very bad in the long run, but I have not had the experience to confirm this first hand)
- Put the car on jack stands (if possible). This will prevent you from ruining your tires.
- I would fill the gas tank all the way up (yes, all the way up). It can really go both ways, but filling it up completely will prevent moisture/condensation from collecting in the tank and fuel system. On the other hand, there's a chance that you could just end up with a full tank of contaminated fuel that's harder to siphon out because its..well...full. Maybe some other people can share their thoughts on this. Be sure to add fuel stabilizer. Note that fuel stabilizer will only prolong the life of the fuel to about 1 year, so hopefully you can get somebody to start and run the car for you at least once.
- Buy a car cover!

But ultimately, as BreezyTL said below, you would be lucky if you got away with storing it for 2 years without any issues arising.
Cars were made to be driven...it just comes down to how much you love the thing.

Hopefully some other people can chime in with advice too. Good luck!

Last edited by TheSauceBoss; 04-24-2017 at 02:58 PM.
M.I.N.O. (04-25-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 02:53 PM
Safety Car

Received 992 Likes on 748 Posts
Sell it, car is already 9 years old. With it sitting for 2 more years not being driven could cause some issues to arise. There will be newer cars with better tech by the time you get home. It's a nice car but I would sell it. No point to have to worry about it when you are away.
M.I.N.O. (04-25-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 03:39 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Option 1 sounds like a terrible idea. You're gonna be in China. Do you know what Chinese drivers are known for? Being terrible at driving. Do you really want your car surrounded by a billion terrible drivers?
M.I.N.O. (04-25-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 03:44 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,158 Likes on 909 Posts
I would sell it however you can
M.I.N.O. (04-25-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 03:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,584 Likes on 6,630 Posts
ship it back ot USA and then sell it here?
M.I.N.O. (04-25-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 03:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 232 Likes on 160 Posts
First of all, congratulations on your expatriate assignment! That's an exciting process. I work in global mobility taxation, so I deal with international assignment-related issues all day long.

First of all, that's a nice benefit that your employer is willing to give you options. Shipment of household goods is already a significant expense for employers, not to mention that I've NEVER seen an employer willing to pay for the shipment of a vehicle. Are they going to give you an automobile transportation allowance of any kind or any form of cost of living adjustment (COLA) if you chose not to take your vehicle with you? That would make a difference in your decision as well.

PS - I hope that you're tax equalized and that your designated accountant is treating you well through all of this
M.I.N.O. (04-25-2017)
Old 04-25-2017, 12:50 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by BreezyTL
Sell it, car is already 9 years old. With it sitting for 2 more years not being driven could cause some issues to arise. There will be newer cars with better tech by the time you get home. It's a nice car but I would sell it. No point to have to worry about it when you are away.
Fair point, but I'm not willing to sell it if I'm gonna get low-balled, which is likely the case since no one knows about Acura. I guess I can put an ad up to see what I get offered and decide from there.

Originally Posted by TacoBello
Option 1 sounds like a terrible idea. You're gonna be in China. Do you know what Chinese drivers are known for? Being terrible at driving. Do you really want your car surrounded by a billion terrible drivers?
LMAO

Originally Posted by sockr1
I would sell it however you can
If I can get something close to what I would get for it back home, I'll consider it.

Originally Posted by thoiboi
Actually it's going back to Canada I guess I can explore that option but not sure if it's possible. I think the Canada Border Services Agency will actually hold the car, and won't allow it to clear customs until I officially move back to Canada, but I'll have to look into that.

Originally Posted by wusty23jd
First of all, congratulations on your expatriate assignment! That's an exciting process. I work in global mobility taxation, so I deal with international assignment-related issues all day long.

First of all, that's a nice benefit that your employer is willing to give you options. Shipment of household goods is already a significant expense for employers, not to mention that I've NEVER seen an employer willing to pay for the shipment of a vehicle. Are they going to give you an automobile transportation allowance of any kind or any form of cost of living adjustment (COLA) if you chose not to take your vehicle with you? That would make a difference in your decision as well.

PS - I hope that you're tax equalized and that your designated accountant is treating you well through all of this
Thanks for the good wishes. I actually work for the Canadian government so depending on where they send you overseas, you get allowances and additional compensation plus they allow you to ship your vehicle and personal effects up to a certain weight limit. Whether I choose to take my vehicle or not, I'll receive more then adequate compensation for transportation and cost of living.

I've also explored the possibility of purchasing a BMW through their diplomatic sales program, which gives me a 25% discount and tax exemption on any 2017 or 2018 vehicle. A perfect opportunity to get a brand new Bimmer at a discount, but the only car that catches my eye is the 4 series Gran Coupe, and equipped to my desired specs would still run about 40-45K Canadian dollars with the discount. Sure I can afford it, but 40K on my mortgage is attractive as well.

Still undecided...wish I had fewer options it would make my choice a lot easier.

Still have until next Monday to decide so I guess I sleep on it a little more.

Thanks a lot for the feedback everyone!!!
Old 04-30-2017, 11:59 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 194 Likes on 158 Posts
Op do you work for CBSA? if your contemplating selling it in Canada, I may be interested?
Old 04-30-2017, 03:01 PM
Race Director

Received 3,262 Likes on 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by thoiboi
+1 This would be my call, too.
Old 04-30-2017, 05:37 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Keep this in mind too. Will you regret selling it in two years? I would def go with option #2
Old 04-30-2017, 09:45 PM
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts
If theyre gonna pay to ship it there and back and you have space for it I would take it with you and use it.

If you do store make sure to have a professional do it. I forget eactly what needs to be done, but on some cars I think they remove the oil and put in a different fluid or at the very least change the oil when storing and then when taking it out.

If you choose to sell the car will they give you the money they would have spent on shipping it oversees to put towards a new one? If not maybe ship it over and then sell it there to get a newer car.
Old 05-03-2017, 12:51 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by MyGuti
Op do you work for CBSA? if your contemplating selling it in Canada, I may be interested?
No I don't work for CBSA but they will be responsible for clearing the vehicle before I can actually bring it in to Canada. I'll keep you in mind if I decide to sell.

Originally Posted by nanxun
+1 This would be my call, too.
Still exploring this as an option but it may be too much trouble.

Originally Posted by randomassguy123
Keep this in mind too. Will you regret selling it in two years? I would def go with option #2
Leaning towards this option because I am worried that I'll regret selling it, plus I'm still not sure what my next car will be

Originally Posted by GreenSpades
If theyre gonna pay to ship it there and back and you have space for it I would take it with you and use it.

If you do store make sure to have a professional do it. I forget eactly what needs to be done, but on some cars I think they remove the oil and put in a different fluid or at the very least change the oil when storing and then when taking it out.

If you choose to sell the car will they give you the money they would have spent on shipping it oversees to put towards a new one? If not maybe ship it over and then sell it there to get a newer car.
I might just do that but I won't need a car in China so I'm wondering if it's worth paying insurance/maintenance costs to drive it maybe once or twice a month at most. If shipping it back home becomes a problem I may just take it with me to China. If I sell the car, I'm entitled to purchase another car overseas and have it shipped home when my assignment is done. This is where the BMW Diplomatic Sales program came to mind. I can buy a Bimmer and have it shipped to China (BMW pays shipping costs) near the end of my assignment so I don't really have to drive it, and when the assignment is over, my employer will pay to ship it back to Canada. Just not sure if I'm sold on buying a BMW though.

Exploring all possibilities at this point...
Old 05-03-2017, 12:54 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would opt for 3) Sell the car, pocket the cash and add it to the new car fund when I eventually move back home. You will get a premium for it--particularly with the low mileage.
Old 05-04-2017, 04:00 AM
Series Motor's

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Options

Your call in the end though it just seems best to keep it.

The cars value has dropped significantly. So you can pocket it, at the same time consider what you do have. A car that can easily surpass 200 k, meaning a car you can keep nearly forever. No need to buy another car. Putting money in your pocket in the long run.

I've had my car since 08 and it has 95,000 miles. That's less than 9500 a year, I own 3 other cars and the thought of selling my TL has never crossed my mind. Even with 18 miles per gallon average.

If you got money, and you seem to be successful, you will regret selling in the end.

You also have the option of really turning it into a very sporty car if you swap heads little work tune and you can get a naturally aspirated beast.

If you keep and store the car the liquids need to be drained, you don't want condensation to rust the internals nor have the oils breakdown. Even if you don't drive 6k a year the oil needs to be changed every year. Definitely do the research if you plan to store.

Everyone has an opinion, but take it like this, I love it to the point that if you were to sell I am willing to buy and have two type S's
Old 05-04-2017, 02:20 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Personally I would sell it. Taking it to China and driving it there is a no no as it will get trashed. Car is still worth decent amount with the current mileage. Car is a good car but storing the car for 2 years without running etc is just not good unless you go through and drain all fluids and then have to deal with trying to get the car back up and running when you get back.

A LOT can change in two years time especially being away, like priorities, style, and mainly time.
IF and when you return you may want an electric or hybrid car who knows? Take the cash and stack it. When you get back state side and it is time to purchase a new whip, I'am sure you will find something that tickles your fancy even if it is another Acura TL.
Old 05-09-2017, 08:06 AM
Alien from Mars

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
If money ain't tha issue, #2. I'd keep it because I know I'd wouldn't mind driving it again in 2 years and way I invest extra to maintain my car. Now if you thought about it selling it, now is the time

Last edited by corrado85; 05-09-2017 at 08:08 AM.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:57 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by corrado85
If money ain't tha issue, #2. I'd keep it because I know I'd wouldn't mind driving it again in 2 years and way I invest extra to maintain my car. Now if you thought about it selling it, now is the time
IF MONEY wasn't an issue, this thread wouldn't even exist as the OP wouldn't rocking a 9+ yr old Acura.
Old 05-09-2017, 01:45 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
There is one other thing to consider...

Back in 2007 my wife and I were asked if we'd do a three year stint in Hong Kong; a quick call to my insurance company convinced me there was value to keeping one car here in the States for the duration. Why? Apparently there is the issue of folks returning from overseas assignments where they've sold their cars and find when they get back on U.S. soil, they are viewed by the insurance companies as "New drivers", and as such, the rates get jacked way up. In the end we sold one of our cars and put the other in storage (pickled the engine, put the vehicle up on blocks, and put the battery on a trickle charger), and then insured it for fire and theft.

When we got back to the States, I put new tires on the rims, squirted a bit of oil into each cylinder (probably unnecessary due to the pickling), hand cranked the engine through a few rotations, and fired it right up (yeah, there was a bit of smoke from the oil). We then went out and bought not one but two new cars (by then our son was almost 16 and we kept the old girl for his first car) and picked up our insurance coverage as if we'd never left the States.

So, long story short, I say keep the TL and put it in storage.

Last edited by horseshoez; 05-09-2017 at 01:48 PM.
Old 05-09-2017, 02:50 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by horseshoez
There is one other thing to consider...

Back in 2007 my wife and I were asked if we'd do a three year stint in Hong Kong; a quick call to my insurance company convinced me there was value to keeping one car here in the States for the duration. Why? Apparently there is the issue of folks returning from overseas assignments where they've sold their cars and find when they get back on U.S. soil, they are viewed by the insurance companies as "New drivers", and as such, the rates get jacked way up. In the end we sold one of our cars and put the other in storage (pickled the engine, put the vehicle up on blocks, and put the battery on a trickle charger), and then insured it for fire and theft.

When we got back to the States, I put new tires on the rims, squirted a bit of oil into each cylinder (probably unnecessary due to the pickling), hand cranked the engine through a few rotations, and fired it right up (yeah, there was a bit of smoke from the oil). We then went out and bought not one but two new cars (by then our son was almost 16 and we kept the old girl for his first car) and picked up our insurance coverage as if we'd never left the States.

So, long story short, I say keep the TL and put it in storage.
As the op has stated in the first sentence he/she has already been working overseas for the past 4 yrs. So, insurance does not apply to the car stateside.

If you wanted to keep your insurance, it would be easier to buy a $500 hooptie off craigslist, insure it and store that if insurance records are such a big concern. Sell off the car while it can still pull a premium vs waiting 2 years, going through the hassle of buying new tires, and trying to revive the car and then trading it in?

Keeping the car and storing it for 2 more years, will only cost more money. If the op really likes the car then yes go for it, but at 9+ yrs old it is best to cash out now befor the value goes down even further. In two years time yeah maybe it will not go down much but the cost of who knows what it will need when its time to pull it out of storage. Makes more sense to get as much money as you can now, not worry about it, and when the time comes go purchase a nice NEW car as a reward for working overseas all those years.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:05 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by stkh22
As the op has stated in the first sentence he/she has already been working overseas for the past 4 yrs. So, insurance does not apply to the car stateside.
Hmmm, not sure about that; I had one of my cars over in Germany back in the early 2000s, and it was insured here in the States and there was some special rider which extended coverage in Germany. Doing it this way was significantly cheaper than insuring the car exclusively in Germany.
Old 05-11-2017, 03:56 PM
Pro

Thank you all for the input. A lot of things to consider, but I'm still leaning towards keeping the car, or at the very least maybe sell it once it's shipped back to Canada.

Only reason I'm hesitant about selling it now is because the car is in the Middle East where Acura isn't a well-known brand, so my only chance at getting close to market value, is if I sell it to another expat who is familiar with the brand and interested in the vehicle. Otherwise it makes more sense to ship it back home to sell because there's a bigger market. In any event, it won't cost me a penny to ship it home and store it until my eventual move back home. if I decide to keep it, I will only incur the costs of getting the vehicle roadworthy once it's out of storage. The car will be in bonded storage, held by a company that specializes in long-term storage of vehicles. The company handles all of the long-term storage for government employees' vehicles, and all of the comments have been positive so that makes me feel a lot better about storing the car.

Money is definitely not an issue so I don't need to sell it, and I still like the car so I'm hesitant to sell, and then feel rushed to buy a car when I move back home.

Still talking to colleagues/experts/Aziners to determine the best course of action, but I'm still leaning towards keeping the car in storage. Appreciate all the comments though, as some good points were brought up that hadn't crossed my mind.

Thanks again!
horseshoez (05-11-2017)