Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought an 05 TL 3.2 w/Nav, help me

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 03:57 AM
Y_Melissa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just bought an 05 TL 3.2 w/Nav, help me

So recently just bought this car. Had it for about a month now. And I'm learning a whole lot.
Like that it was in an accident, but they fixed it before filing a claim, so that it was a clean title.
The mileages were rolled back.
It needs a new 02 sensor.
Serpentine belt. AC doesn't work, something with the condenser.
The tags were expired. But he on '19 stickers, which werent supposed to be there. I actually got pulled over a few days after buying the car & the cop never mentioned my stickers.
Whoever fixed the car back up did a bad job, because the hood looks alittle open.
Loose/worn sway barlinks.
Needs alignment bad
Suspension strut & coil rings are weak
Weak battery
Really I feel like maybe this whole car is semi rebuilt and its terrible.
Like many things are broken, or dont fit where they should.
I have gotten an oil changes, and tomorrow I was going for an alignment.

And yes, I went all alone to buy this car. No male or even input of someone else. Semi first time buyer, definitely bamboozled.
Any comments, suggestions, criticism, links, guides, manuals will be helpful.

Looks like it could be an easy fix, but then again I'm the same girl who bought my carfax after I purchased the car..

Just really dirty. Has been cleaned though.

VSA, ABS, ! are all on. The check engine light is not, because I just found out that the guy taped it up.

Serepentine belt has been replaced.

The blue is the color of the car they molded together to fix the front damage.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:58 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
looks like someone fix this asap on budget and flipping it around for profit.

your alignment might not be 100% completed due to the fact it got hit and people did the repair job did a half ass job. AC condenser probably damage in the collision and they didn't even replace that either. 90% of the symptom you described can be link directly to the collision.

I wonder why you bought the carfax after you purchase instead prior buying the car.
The following users liked this post:
EvilVirus (07-24-2018)
Old 07-24-2018, 12:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 150 Posts
Not meaning to sound coarse but not sure what you are looking for here from the forum...have you tried going back to dealer you bought from and explaining your concerns? There are so many red flags on this car that are readily apparent not sure how they were missed but sadly this just sounds like a costly lesson learned.

good luck
Old 07-24-2018, 12:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,582 Likes on 6,629 Posts
Yeah.. I'd say cut your losses on this one, I can't see it being an easy fix without dumping a whole lot of money
Old 07-24-2018, 12:36 PM
Y_Melissa

Well I was looking for other people with the same car, who troubleshoot their own problems. I was looking to learn about my car, which I have managed to do. And yes, I am cutting my losses. I didn't and still dont know much about cars, but this forum is teaching me alot. Thanks for your input, wish I could take something useful from it.
Old 07-24-2018, 12:38 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
I dont think you got bamboozled, it's just that for a big purchase...or any purchase for that matter...you have to spend the time to look over it to make sure things are on the up and up.
this is why I hate shopping...I can spend 3 hours looking for a pair of pants, get impatient and pick the wrong size...
Old 07-24-2018, 12:44 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,120 Likes on 893 Posts
The issue with this is that there are too many unknown factors on the car. With that in mind, most people wont put the time to repair the problems as it would cost more than what the car is worth.
Old 07-24-2018, 01:55 PM
Suzuka Master

If you can turn wrench or interest doing so we can help BUT I wouldn't recommend for this car because a lot of "things could goes wrong" factors.

A/C problems ---- check your A/C lines and condenser for crack and leaks (I am pretty sure there are somewhere along the line)
PS pump has a massive leak --- You could rebuilt using a DIY thread on here by Rockstar
Alignment and suspension problems ---- You will have to live with this one because I can certain the frame got pushed quite a bit during the collision.

Even for a indi shop to correct all of this issue will easily cost you more than $10k, that why whoever has it before let the car go. FIY not all rebuilt car come with a rebuilt/ salvage title, simply if the previous owner has only liability insurance on the car and total it out.

Technically the title still in "clean" status with "air bag deployed" and "structure damage" show on the Carfax, even after the repair it still remain "clean title". The only time its got a alternate title if the Insurance company bought the car from the owner and resell it in the auction...

Another way CA get rebuilt car with "clean title" even tho they have rebuilt title in the past simply just buying a car from another state and has the new title re-issue in CA. This slang term called "washing title"

We can help you with car problem but 95% of us the problem occur because age or mileage where yours cause mostly by incomplete/incorrect repair....
Old 07-24-2018, 02:18 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
@truonghthe, your point about the repairs costing more than the car is worth is the key statement of this thread, IMHO. Consider the following:
  • Even if all of the work was done by the owner, except of course for the frame straightening and associated body work, I'm thinking just the necessary parts alone would be up in the couple thousand dollars range.
  • Add in the cost of the body and frame work and we're probably looking to bump the cost of the work up to at least the five to six thousand dollar range.
  • Add in the cost of fitting all of the parts purchased above, assuming @MelissaTY isn't able to do the work herself, and we're talking another couple grand.
  • Rock bottom I'm thinking it will take an easy seven to eight thousand to make the car fully operational, and your ten-thousand dollar guess ain't outside the realm of possibility.

@MelissaTY, there is nothing about your car which makes it "rebuild worthy". Why?
  • Your car is not rare
  • There are literally thousands of these cars offered for sale every year in far better condition than yours, and the offering price is far less than what it would cost for you to bring your car up to the same level of fit and finish as the cars being offered for sale
  • If you bought your car from a dealership or a used car lot, I would put the screws to them to take the car back and refund your money. If they balk, I would contact the BBB and/or whichever agency in your state oversees dealer licensing and see if you can put pressure on them from that angle.
  • Worst case, sell or junk your car and start over.

Long story short, putting money into this car is throwing good money after bad.
Old 07-24-2018, 03:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Horseshoez, I guess this is why you and I bought the car in good shape and paying extra. I learn a hard way after cut my lost on a vehicle I feels like a money pit (couples previous owner did seem to care too much)
Old 07-24-2018, 03:57 PM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by truonghthe
Horseshoez, I guess this is why you and I bought the car in good shape and paying extra. I learn a hard way after cut my lost on a vehicle I feels like a money pit (couples previous owner did seem to care too much)
Yeah, not making an impulse purchase with a used car needed for a daily driver is something I learned the hard way as well.

At least with an impulse buy on a new car, you have a warranty period; still doesn't mean you'll like the car in the long run or that it was a good buy.
Old 07-24-2018, 04:34 PM
Y_Melissa

I was quoted 7gs to make it run well enough for what it is. A few people already volunteered to take the car off of my hands, but I wasn't sure if I wanted to just yet.
It was a private sale. I think there were just a lot of things I didnt consider when I test drove it. It was basically after I found this forum, did I start noticing things. I knew it was alittle too good to be true, so I kept looking around even when most people told me the car was fine.
I was thinking maybe I could fix some things to put it back on the market, 'cause I'm sure not everyone is as oblivious to car buying as I was.
I didnt know what to consider when buying the car, I didnt know what to look up or if I could look it up. I didnt know what all entailed in it. My first car was from an auction, that I definitely didnt maintain (at all) it was ford explorer that drove for 9 month then head gasket blew.
I'm still learning, and I'm doing it through making the mistake first versus having some guidance.
Thank you guys.

Last edited by MelissaTY; 07-24-2018 at 04:41 PM.
Old 07-24-2018, 05:05 PM
Safety Car

^ Stick around. Regardless of what your next vehicle maybe. Just ask and members will chime in to assist you.

Also for $7K, not worth fixing. Sadly its a lost you will have to take.
Old 07-24-2018, 05:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,582 Likes on 6,629 Posts
You could get another better condition TL for that price.

Like I said bluntly before, cut your losses. Sell it to whoever wanted it and it'll be their problem. Buy a newer better condition TL with your newfound knowledge and enjoy it in good health.
Old 07-24-2018, 08:04 PM
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
How much did you pay for it? Where are you located?
Old 07-24-2018, 08:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by MelissaTY
I was quoted 7gs to make it run well enough for what it is. A few people already volunteered to take the car off of my hands, but I wasn't sure if I wanted to just yet.
It was a private sale. I think there were just a lot of things I didnt consider when I test drove it. It was basically after I found this forum, did I start noticing things. I knew it was alittle too good to be true, so I kept looking around even when most people told me the car was fine.
I was thinking maybe I could fix some things to put it back on the market, 'cause I'm sure not everyone is as oblivious to car buying as I was.
I didnt know what to consider when buying the car, I didnt know what to look up or if I could look it up. I didnt know what all entailed in it. My first car was from an auction, that I definitely didnt maintain (at all) it was ford explorer that drove for 9 month then head gasket blew.
I'm still learning, and I'm doing it through making the mistake first versus having some guidance.
Thank you guys.
Hey Melissa, Don't beat yourself up, over this. We have all made mistakes, evaluating, and buying used cars. Especially, when someone, is out to intentionally deceive us. FOR FUTURE REFERENCE, prior to purchasing your next car, TAKE THAT CAR, to an Authorized New Car Dealer, of the same brand, and request a PRE-PURCHASE INSPECTION! They will inspect the car thoroughly, and provide you with a list of everything requiring attention, and how much it will cost, to bring the car up to speed. Most New Car Dealers, in my area, charge approximately $125.00 for this service. WORTH EVERY PENNY! Iv'e been around cars, my entire life, have owned over 50, and would not dream of buying one, without EXPERT GUIDANCE. Cheers
Old 07-25-2018, 10:45 AM
Suzuka Master

unfortunately this is a costly and tough lesson to learn, however I say $7k you can definitely score some 07-08 TL in nice condition. I know you really like the car but its better off cutting the lost here (if you could financially) and buy another TL, her is some advice for you for the next purchase.

1. Spend $80 for 5 Carfax reports (not 100% foolproof but its a extra piece of mind) When I purchase a car I always bought this package.

2. Bring someone that has mechanical knowledge like a family mechanic, uncle, dad, etc....

3. Not all mechanical defect can be seen by popping the hood, so buy a PPI (Pre Purchase Inspection) from the car manufacture dealer and it cost around $125-$165 depend on where you live. This is the best piece of mind since they will put your car on the lift go thoroughly and any mechanical/ structural damage can be seen. Its better if you can go over the defects with the mechanic.

4. DON"T trust anyone when they said "maint is up to date" without any documentations/ paper work/ receipt of working being done. There are some car DIY enthusiasts will keep their oil and filer receipt with mileage written on them along with their personal maint log.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:24 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Any chance of getting someone more intimidating to deal with the seller? While you may have no recourse legally, maybe you can make enough of a pest of yourself to get some money back.
Though I do wonder about covering warning lights...could this be considered fraud? Might be worthwhile to talk to a lawyer.
I do agree that you should take this as a valuable lesson learned.
Old 07-25-2018, 12:15 PM
Y_Melissa

I think I’ll cut my losses and just take all of those useful tips for next time. Technically that’s what I figured, I don’t think I’d fix it for 7gs. I don’t think I’d find anyone to buy it for what I put into it. Otherwise I’d just keep the car. Plus I have to keep in mind, I’m not handy with fixing my own car. Not yet at least. Thank you guys, money wasted doesn’t hurt as much as being fooled. Lol
Although, my uncle and I have the same car. He doesn’t drive it, it’s dropped and his battery drains. I tried to tell him about this forum, but I’m guessing he didn’t look considering he hasn’t done anything to his car.
Old 07-25-2018, 05:31 PM
Safety Car

Tell him to disable the HFL module and see if that stops the drainage. Usually that's the culprit; would have to inspect the cables and terminals as well.
Old 07-25-2018, 06:57 PM
Y_Melissa

Originally Posted by YungMoola15
How much did you pay for it? Where are you located?
I got it for 2900. Located in San Diego.

I looking at other Cars already.
Old 07-26-2018, 12:18 AM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Does California have any “lemon laws”?
If so could see about getting legal. But if there are no lemon laws, you’re stuck with it. There’s no shame in taking someone if you’re unsure though. I used to do that the first couple cars I bought until I knew kinda what to look for.

I will I’ll say if it’s too good to be true, it is. My brother learned the hard way. Bought his first car on his own because under the hood was shiny and clean. Basically the previous owner coated everything in WD40 to clean and shine it up while hiding the fact that the head gasket was blown.

Hard lesson to learn. But good luck with your next purchase
Old 07-26-2018, 07:14 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by Ossman14
Does California have any “lemon laws”?
If so could see about getting legal. But if there are no lemon laws, you’re stuck with it. There’s no shame in taking someone if you’re unsure though. I used to do that the first couple cars I bought until I knew kinda what to look for.

I will I’ll say if it’s too good to be true, it is. My brother learned the hard way. Bought his first car on his own because under the hood was shiny and clean. Basically the previous owner coated everything in WD40 to clean and shine it up while hiding the fact that the head gasket was blown.

Hard lesson to learn. But good luck with your next purchase
Do lemon laws cover 10+ year old cars? Plus this has had heavy repairs done incorrectly?
Old 07-26-2018, 07:34 AM
Latent car nut

I don't believe Lemon Laws would apply in this situation, regardless of the state, California or otherwise.
Old 07-26-2018, 12:06 PM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by 08KBP_VA
Do lemon laws cover 10+ year old cars? Plus this has had heavy repairs done incorrectly?
I’m not sure that’s why I was asking. Besides I would assume the laws are in place to prevent people from selling unsafe ( and poorly repaired) cars, which this seems to be the case. I live in a state without such laws. It was a simple question
Old 07-26-2018, 12:12 PM
Y_Melissa

This one is just going to be a lesson learned. But honestly, it’s not too much of a loss because I gained a lot of insight and tips. I’ve had 3 different mechanics look at it. And test drive it, they told me I’m overthinking a lot of it. It runs well for what it is. I keep comparing it to what I used to drive, an Audi A6.
And I’m getting my o2 sensor changed right now. I’m thinking I’ll put it back on the market, I definitely will be honest. Because I’m sure I damn near aged 20 years stressing myself out with being naive and careless. Wouldn’t want that for someone else.
Old 07-27-2018, 07:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 109 Posts
Very commendable approach, Melissa, it's refreshing to hear that you wouldn't want someone else treated, the way you were. Since you recognize, and or have addressed most operational issues, (" they told me I’m overthinking a lot of it. It runs well for what it is."), you may want to consider, just keeping, and driving it, in an effort to at least regain some of your investment. In comparison, to the TOTAL amount, you have currently invested, how much $, have OP (" A few people already volunteered to take the car off of my hands,") offered, to take it off your hands? IMO, if your TOTAL loss, would be $1,000.00, or less, considering the general overall condition of this car, I would SELL IT. If your loss, would be $1,001.00 or more, assuming, the car is now ROADWORTHY, I might consider keeping it!
Old 07-27-2018, 06:59 PM
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts
Or for the price, drive it as it is till it completely goes. Then sell parts off of it.
Old 07-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Suzuka Master

just drive it for about 6 months to a year before selling it tho that way you can get something out that initial investment.