Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interior LED install with pictures!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 08:08 AM
Cablevision Employee

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Interior LED install with pictures!!

So this is my first mod, and after reading about 3 or 4 threads on it, I collaborated everything together and came up with this walk through install.

Here is where I got the lights from:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ultra...17249046QQrdZ1

Guy is great he got the bulbs to me from CA to NY in 4 days! They look perfect! Almost 100% pure white, very little tint to them at all, and at night, there is almost none, brighter than original and looks MUCH better. there are 4X LCD which are perfect IMO, because anything less might be to dim, anything more and it shortens life span. I highly recommend them

Here is pretty much All I used:

1 small Eyeglasses screwdriver
1 small Eyeglasses lint free cloth
1 small flathead screwdriver
1 pack of scotch tape
1 DVD-A Lincoln Park Reanimation album to listen to while install

Here is a pic of everything except tape:
Name:  IMG_0419.jpg
Views: 3060
Size:  124.7 KB
Name:  IMG_0421.jpg
Views: 2928
Size:  151.7 KB

The basic instructions of this install cover all interior lights (dome lights, vanity mirror light, door step lights, courtesy lights)

The following steps apply to (dome, vanity, and courtesy)

Here is what the lights look like stock..ewwww

Name:  IMG_0420.jpg
Views: 3000
Size:  112.1 KB

The Courtesy and Vanity cover are very easy to remove, just take the smaller screwdriver (flathead) and wedge it between the plastic and the open grove which allows the plastic to slide up and down in order to turn the light on and off manually.

Here is what it looks like open:
Name:  IMG_0423.jpg
Views: 3083
Size:  219.6 KB

Lights on
Name:  IMG_0425.jpg
Views: 2949
Size:  111.9 KB

Ok, so taking the bulbs out are tricky, there were a few ways mentioned in previous posts from tweezers, to rubber gloves, I found using tape to wrap around the bulb is the easiest, because as you can see the bulb is in there in a small wedged area:

Name:  IMG_0424.jpg
Views: 2895
Size:  124.9 KB

What I did was take a small strip of scotch tape and taped the two ends together leaving a open loop open which will fit nicely around the bulb. Carefully loop the tape around the bulb and just pat down on it so it sticks to the bulb, leaving the ends that you stuck together sticking out as a tab which you will use to bull the bulb out:

Close up of bulb:
Name:  IMG_0424.jpg
Views: 2895
Size:  124.9 KB

Looping tape around bulb:
Name:  IMG_0427.jpg
Views: 2898
Size:  125.0 KB

Removed bulb:
Name:  IMG_0428.jpg
Views: 2916
Size:  95.2 KB
Name:  IMG_0429.jpg
Views: 2953
Size:  132.5 KB

Once the bulb the LCD bulb is very easy to use, now of course nothing after market works as good as OEM, so what I noticed while installing the LED bulbs is that of course all will work after some jiggling and finding a good spot in the socket. Instead of doing that what I did was use the small screwdriver in order to bend the medal contacts up a tad in order to make a sure shot connections with the sockets, also tp prevent them from possibly moving out of place or anything like that while hitting a bump or anything like that while driving. HAving to remove the case just to reposition the LCD would be a big pain in the ass.

Like this:

Name:  IMG_0433.jpg
Views: 2927
Size:  65.7 KB
Name:  IMG_0432.jpg
Views: 2917
Size:  70.3 KB

So once there in and you make sure they work, snap on the covers and all done! Here is a comparison shot of the stock and LCD lights:

Name:  IMG_0426.jpg
Views: 3078
Size:  94.0 KB

Both LCDs in :
Name:  IMG_0430.jpg
Views: 3205
Size:  116.7 KB

Now the door step lights are VERY easy. The domes require a little more eding but since there is leather surrounding the door light and semi soft plastic around the domes. Use the cloth to cover the tip of the screw drivers in order to pry the covers off as to not scratch or damage the materials.

Door:
Name:  IMG_0431.jpg
Views: 2906
Size:  118.5 KB

After installed:
Name:  IMG_0434.jpg
Views: 2913
Size:  146.8 KB

Remember to do the same for domes, here is what they look like after install:
Name:  IMG_0435.jpg
Views: 2936
Size:  93.7 KB

I love the way they look. I was nervous it would look ricey but it dosent! Like I said during the day there is the smallest amount of blue tint, but at night they really look nice!

Here are some night shots, the way it reflect off the black leather is GREAT!

Name:  IMG_0436.jpg
Views: 2908
Size:  52.8 KB
Name:  IMG_0438.jpg
Views: 2877
Size:  48.6 KB

Any questions comments or anything feel free to PM me. I know this is a simple install but during my search on this topic I wish there was a guide like this so I made one with pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0424.jpg (124.9 KB, 148 views)
The following 3 users liked this post by robbie82:
AZTLS08 (04-21-2014), BeezleTL85 (03-19-2015), jermagesty (04-28-2013)
Old 05-12-2007, 05:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
looks good, any pics of whole interior at night?
Old 05-12-2007, 06:06 PM
No He Can't

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
good job
Old 05-12-2007, 07:05 PM
Cablevision Employee

Originally Posted by HQTL6SPD
looks good, any pics of whole interior at night?
Ill take one tonight!
Old 05-12-2007, 07:51 PM
Tri State ViP Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LED's really make a big difference. I have LED's in my front dome lights. Im gonna be ordering more for the rear, vanity, doors and trunk.
Old 05-12-2007, 10:02 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the tutorial, I just ordered from the link provided. Should be a nice upgrade. I bet it looks cool when you unlock the doors from the keyfob at night.
Old 05-12-2007, 10:45 PM
'04 6mt Pearl

Looks good but which is brighter LEDs or incandescents ?
Old 05-13-2007, 12:33 AM
Cablevision Employee

Originally Posted by Knertified
Thanks for the tutorial, I just ordered from the link provided. Should be a nice upgrade. I bet it looks cool when you unlock the doors from the keyfob at night.
Oh man does it, I love they was it reflects off the leather, and the door light REALLY lights up when you walk out. It rained tonight so ill take some more tomorrow.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:38 PM
Cablevision Employee

Here is a vid. the night shot didnt come out to well, the video didnt either but im guessing its still better.....lol.....i need a new cam

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YV3UvD7ysQM
Old 05-19-2007, 05:02 PM
Instructor

Robbie, Thanks for the tutorial. I purchased the lights and just finished the install. I wonder if that ebay link goes to you.. jk

I used a few different flathead screwdrivers to get the job done. That scotch tape idea worked wonderfully. I would have been at it for hours without that tip!

A few of the panels gave me some problems so I wanted to list (before I forget) which side is easiest to pop.

1. Dome Lights: Pop from the farthest side (facing the windsheild). A normal screwdriver worked great.

2. Courtesy lights: You wont be able to get these off without a metal pic of some sort. Popped from the outer sides.

3. Vanity Lights: What a pain in the ?@#. I figured out how to do it after a while. Basically the light is setup like this. Roof -> Metal spacer --> light assembly. On the drivers side, you will want to go in on the right side. On the passanger, you its on the left. Its basically the side you see the lightbulb on when you turn it on. You need to take a screwdriver and shove it in between the metal spacer and the light assembly. Just keep wiggling it back and forth. Eventualy you will make it to the tab which pops the whole thing out. When you put it back in, make sure you bend the plastic tab back a little otherwise it might not stay.

4. Door Lights: This was a pain at first but you want to pop it from the side, not the bottom.

5. Trunk Light? The trunk like looked like the same as the vanity light. I think that could have been replaced but you would need to order a 5th set of bulbs and waste one.

Personally I think the oem bulbs were brighter because the light spreads more. The LED's are more focused. I could care less though because I can't stand the amber light from the oems.

Can't wait to see them at night!
Old 05-19-2007, 09:03 PM
Instructor

They are much brighter at night. Verrry niceee. Car looks sick.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:00 PM
Cruisin'

Red LEDS?

They are much brighter at night. Verrry niceee. Car looks sick.
I took delivery of my '07 TL-S last weekend and my first reaction was that the incadescent lights were weak when compared to the great red dash and floor lighting. Has anyone replaced the stock bulbs with similar red bulbs or LEDS?
Old 05-22-2007, 07:21 PM
Cruisin'

Also, are there any voltage or electrical issues to worry about in replacing the stock bulbs with LEDs?
Old 05-23-2007, 10:29 PM
Cablevision Employee

Robbie, Thanks for the tutorial. I purchased the lights and just finished the install. I wonder if that ebay link goes to you.. jk

I used a few different flathead screwdrivers to get the job done. That scotch tape idea worked wonderfully. I would have been at it for hours without that tip!

A few of the panels gave me some problems so I wanted to list (before I forget) which side is easiest to pop.

1. Dome Lights: Pop from the farthest side (facing the windsheild). A normal screwdriver worked great.

2. Courtesy lights: You wont be able to get these off without a metal pic of some sort. Popped from the outer sides.

3. Vanity Lights: What a pain in the ?@#. I figured out how to do it after a while. Basically the light is setup like this. Roof -> Metal spacer --> light assembly. On the drivers side, you will want to go in on the right side. On the passanger, you its on the left. Its basically the side you see the lightbulb on when you turn it on. You need to take a screwdriver and shove it in between the metal spacer and the light assembly. Just keep wiggling it back and forth. Eventualy you will make it to the tab which pops the whole thing out. When you put it back in, make sure you bend the plastic tab back a little otherwise it might not stay.

4. Door Lights: This was a pain at first but you want to pop it from the side, not the bottom.

5. Trunk Light? The trunk like looked like the same as the vanity light. I think that could have been replaced but you would need to order a 5th set of bulbs and waste one.

Personally I think the oem bulbs were brighter because the light spreads more. The LED's are more focused. I could care less though because I can't stand the amber light from the oems.

Can't wait to see them at night!
They are much brighter.....glad I could help and thanks for the add on tips. The door light I think is the biggest difference, it lights up the ground!

As for the ebay link, that guy lives in Japan!!!...lol...

Atman....no voltage problems at all......they should last as long as the stock ones, with the amount of LEDs on that bulb it should last a while. Theres only 3, maybe if there was more. But IMO 3 is perfect....

as Knertified said it looks sick! especially at night, and the girls love it too!
Old 05-23-2007, 11:08 PM
05 TL

Leds make a huge difference.

I dont know if this is considered thread crapping, but I would like to inform people that Cold Cathode Lights completely rock. I have had them as my license plate light for over a year now with out issues.

The comment that got me on my rant is the use of LEDs for a trunk light. This is my favorite use of the CC light.

Here is the thread:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...0&page=1&pp=25
Old 05-23-2007, 11:11 PM
Cablevision Employee

Originally Posted by Kracker
Leds make a huge difference.

I dont know if this is considered thread crapping, but I would like to inform people that Cold Cathode Lights completely rock. I have had them as my license plate light for over a year now with out issues.

The comment that got me on my rant is the use of LEDs for a trunk light. This is my favorite use of the CC light.

Here is the thread:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...0&page=1&pp=25
For an open area that size, I have to agree the CC light is a way better choice, prob too bright 4 the interior though. As for the license plate its a matter of how much work u wanna do cause both LCD, and CC look pretty good, Im prob gonna go LCD, dont wanna make it too easy for the coppers......
Old 05-24-2007, 12:42 AM
Dont Touch My Car !!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
LED you mean.

LCD are used for monitor display. :o)
Old 05-24-2007, 03:08 AM
05 TL

sorry yeah.
Old 05-24-2007, 06:33 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by robbie82
as Knertified said it looks sick! especially at night, and the girls love it too!
Thanks for the reply - and for the great tutorial. I placed my eBay order. If the girls love it, then its a definite must do.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:18 AM
Cablevision Employee

Originally Posted by atman21
Thanks for the reply - and for the great tutorial. I placed my eBay order. If the girls love it, then its a definite must do.
........ --- >
Old 05-27-2007, 03:54 PM
Cruisin'

I got the bulbs!

That same eBay guy got me the bulbs CA-> NJ in about 3 days! Talk about a good seller. I installed them this afternoon with no problems - except the light about the visors was a pain in the neck. Can't wait to check them out in the dark tonight.

Thanks again for the tutorial - helped me complete my first TL mod!!! Hmm, what's next? Well, I need a nice license plate frame. That will be the next order of business.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:15 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
anybody, picture @ night???
Old 05-30-2007, 08:46 PM
5th Gear

robbie can you tell me what bulbs they are for the door and the interior lights?
Old 05-30-2007, 09:17 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by atman21
I took delivery of my '07 TL-S last weekend and my first reaction was that the incadescent lights were weak when compared to the great red dash and floor lighting. Has anyone replaced the stock bulbs with similar red bulbs or LEDS?

I would be very careful with Red LEDs in a TL. I installed red LEDs in my old car, which had a tan interior, and I will admit they looked pretty sweet, but they completely defeated the purpose of having lights in the car. Red LEDs are completely useless for a light source when installed in a car. Just a little warning.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:16 AM
Lead Foot

Could anybody tell me any part numbers, etc on those LEDs? Are they just exactly the same size as the original bulbs?

Thanks!
Old 06-04-2007, 09:35 PM
8th Gear

This will be my first mod on 2005 TL/Nav. I was searching on ebay and I came accross this two
1) 12 LED Pkg (White)
2) UltraBright

Can you guys help me decide on which one should I order? Which one do you have?

Thanks,
Old 06-05-2007, 07:16 AM
Cablevision Employee

Originally Posted by tripflex
Could anybody tell me any part numbers, etc on those LEDs? Are they just exactly the same size as the original bulbs?

Thanks!
All specs on te bubs are the same size/voltage everything. They are wedge type bulbs.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:22 AM
Cablevision Employee

Originally Posted by HQTL6SPD
anybody, picture @ night???
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YV3UvD7ysQM
Old 06-05-2007, 03:20 PM
Lead Foot

I purchased the ultra bright ones on Monday from this same user and he sent me an email saying it would take 2-3 business days to ship and then 7-10 business days to receive it. Didn't expect for it to take that long but once i do receive and install them i will post about them :-D
Old 06-05-2007, 09:30 PM
Racer

There are actually a ton of other sites out there that sell LEDs. For my old car, I got some from superbrightleds.com and a couple from superlumination.com. Both orders were shipped same day and were received within three days or so. You guys might try looking there, plus they're pretty reasonable on cost. Just my
Old 06-07-2007, 06:15 PM
Lead Foot

Just finished installing them, came a lot quicker than i thought. Ordered on Monday and got then today (Thursday). Install was very easy, including the tags lights. Out of all of them the tag lights were the hardest just because you have to take off the cover for the trunk to get to the lights, but even those were just straight pop-out.

Overall, for how much it cost and how little time it took, well worth it.

I'm happy.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:44 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I cant remove the vanity lense covers. (Those are the ones above the visors correct?) I followed the instructions, I did what Robbie82 said but it feels like if i put anymore pressure into it, the lense would crack.

Im going in between the light assembly and the metal spacer but it wont budge. Should I keep on prying it? Im afraid of breaking it. Now the lense wiggles around alot, but still cant even remove it.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:20 AM
Cablevision Employee

Originally Posted by enzyme
I cant remove the vanity lense covers. (Those are the ones above the visors correct?) I followed the instructions, I did what Robbie82 said but it feels like if i put anymore pressure into it, the lense would crack.

Im going in between the light assembly and the metal spacer but it wont budge. Should I keep on prying it? Im afraid of breaking it. Now the lense wiggles around alot, but still cant even remove it.
They took the longest, just pry on all 4 sides slowly and it will just pop off once its close enough
Old 06-08-2007, 12:28 AM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah I finally got it. Phewww. I like it alot, although it technically isnt brighter besides at the lense, it looks alot better.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:32 AM
Lead Foot

i was gonna put the extra lights in the vanity ones but i decided on the tag light instead...vanity lights don't even get seen that much so i'm not too worried.
Old 06-09-2007, 01:03 PM
Instructor

I got mine from superbrightleds.com

07 has red interior lighting so I got...

RED LEDs for the doors

White Front Domes:

Front Cabin:

White Rear Domes:

Rear Cabin:

Old 06-09-2007, 01:47 PM
Racer

I purchased lights from brian @ tec-toyz, n i purchased those LEDS from superbrightLEDS or w.e autoalumination.com w.e the new ones taht everyone was talking about, and the tec-toyz work 100x times better in the interior.

Also im just curious, I bought an a few lights from superbrightLEDS.com and i put em in my licence plate lights and backuplights, and one they wont stya in perfectly, and one of my licence plate lights is out, do u have any solutions? like bending it would help? gluing? thanks.
Old 06-10-2007, 04:55 AM
Instructor

Does anyone know exactly where this tab is to remove the vanity light cover?

I looked at this thread: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...230#post767230

Basically, the driver side's should be on the middle of the right side. I can actually see a little "space" at that location (middle of the right side). So according to the instruction and the instructions and pictures, if I stick a small screw driver in, I'm supposed to reach the "tab" which removes the whole cover.

Here is the problem. I used a very thin metal piece (like the instructions provided) trying to reach for that tab. However, the metal piece goes "right through" without reaching any tabs! It can basically touch the light bulb. I'm 100% sure that the metal piece went between the light housing and the metal ring.

So I'm very confused now. From the pictures and diagrams, I thought there should be a tab the "prevents" my metal piece from reaching the light bulb, so how come I can reach it? Can anyone shed some light on this?
Old 06-10-2007, 05:01 AM
Instructor

Does anyone know exactly where this tab is to remove the vanity light cover?

I looked at this thread: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...230#post767230

Basically, the driver side's should be on the middle of the right side. I can actually see a little "space" at that location (middle of the right side). So according to the instructions and pictures, if I stick a small screw driver in, I'm supposed to reach the "tab" which removes the whole cover.

Here is the problem. I used a very thin metal piece (like the instructions provided) trying to reach for that tab. However, the metal piece goes "right through" without reaching any tabs! It can basically touch the light bulb. I'm 100% sure that the metal piece went between the light housing and the metal ring.

So I'm very confused now. From the pictures and diagrams, I thought there should be a tab the "prevents" my metal piece from reaching the light bulb, so how come I can reach it? Can anyone shed some light on this?
Old 06-10-2007, 09:26 AM
Safety Car

Received 133 Likes on 129 Posts
THANKYOU SIR Great job. I was looking last night and didn't want to break any clips. I did a search this morning and your thread kicks booty I just need to get the vanity covers off. The kit came with 8 bulbs, to do all interior and trunk you would need 9 bulbs????? Thankyou for a fantastic job brother

Quick Reply: Interior LED install with pictures!!