3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iJDMtoy Led DRL Harness Install w/Pics

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 12:46 PM
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
I'm a few weeks away from installing my HID fogs, my LED DRL's and my switchbacks.

Looking for opinions on the best area and best method to mount the resistors for the cleanest look.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:38 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
funny...so my car came with this from the last owner but the pass side daytime running light shuts off from time to time esp during the summer...doesnt matter if the car has only been on for 5 mins or 5 hours.. i turn the headlight on and off and it goes back to normal and then sometimes it still shuts off again,

i originally untill now taught this was regular hids with a thin ballast but now realize its a little different. i took it to a repuatable shop that did my fog hids and matched it pretty good to what the last owner installed. and he said he has to change everything with the day time running hids. i dont believe he is scaming me because he has done work for me for almost ten years and is friends with alotta my friends and family and does work for us all. he said relays wont help me fix the issue with it turning on and off however since its been cold in nyc (since maybe novemeber) i havent had the problem with it turning on and off...advice?
Old 12-31-2013, 10:53 PM
Safety Car

Received 765 Likes on 550 Posts
Originally Posted by romeotl3
funny...so my car came with this from the last owner but the pass side daytime running light shuts off from time to time esp during the summer...doesnt matter if the car has only been on for 5 mins or 5 hours.. i turn the headlight on and off and it goes back to normal and then sometimes it still shuts off again,

i originally untill now taught this was regular hids with a thin ballast but now realize its a little different. i took it to a repuatable shop that did my fog hids and matched it pretty good to what the last owner installed. and he said he has to change everything with the day time running hids. i dont believe he is scaming me because he has done work for me for almost ten years and is friends with alotta my friends and family and does work for us all. he said relays wont help me fix the issue with it turning on and off however since its been cold in nyc (since maybe novemeber) i havent had the problem with it turning on and off...advice?
Are you saying you're trying to get HIDs put into your DRLs? Don't understand what you're trying to say.

This thread is talking about installing LEDs for the DRL. You're talking about HIDs which is completely different.
Old 01-01-2014, 01:36 AM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
will this work for 2g TL also?
Old 01-01-2014, 07:23 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by vietxquangstah
Are you saying you're trying to get HIDs put into your DRLs? Don't understand what you're trying to say.

This thread is talking about installing LEDs for the DRL. You're talking about HIDs which is completely different.
Ok so I'm clearly confused... These aren't hids? I taught that's what it was in the drl The last owner didn't explain this to me. It's the same ballast and look. Smh I feel like a darn noob lol.

Is there such a thing as hids in the drl? Or just should I keep these "LEDs" in there ?
Old 01-01-2014, 08:28 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by romeotl3
Ok so I'm clearly confused... These aren't hids? I taught that's what it was in the drl The last owner didn't explain this to me. It's the same ballast and look. Smh I feel like a darn noob lol.

Is there such a thing as hids in the drl? Or just should I keep these "LEDs" in there ?
HIDs in the DRL will cause the plastic and chrome covered materials to most likely melt or burn because of the high heat generated by the HID bulb. HID bulbs get tremendously hot in a short amount of time so if you put HIDs where they are not meant to be it's asking for trouble unless you know what you're doing.

LED DRLs do not generate as much heat as HIDs do.

The only ballasts that come on the TL from factory is to power the headlights because they are xenon. Bi-xenon to be exact.

If the guy you bought your car from said there are ballasts for the DRLs it's either 1. he hooked up HIDs for your DRLs or 2. He doesn't know what he's talking about..

You can save yourself from having a headache by just simply taking a picture close up of your headlight (mainly the DRL area) so we can see what kind of bulb is currently installed. We will be able to tell you if it's a LED or xenon bulb (hid kit)
Old 01-01-2014, 11:35 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will it work with 06 TL?
Old 01-02-2014, 05:57 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So i was looking for videos on how to install these. and found this.

Would this be the same way for the tls, I assume it would be.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:14 AM
Big Body Alice

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Thanks for this post. I just ordered my LED DRL I seen they have a diagram on their site but this definitely helpful. Thanks.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:37 PM
Advanced

So i just tried installing my VLED kit but it did not work? I tried to do it with the harness and the resistors but the leds did not light up on the DRL light went on, next i tried without the harness and nothing, lastly i tried with just the led bulbs and yet they did not light up.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:59 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
Having trouble with my install.

DRL error code is not on, BUT bulbs will not light up.

I've tried everything.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:31 PM
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I was having issues with mine as well. I ended up sanding off the tabs and installing them "backwards" since it makes no sense that they'd have it wired backwards. It fired up and works perfectly now that I made that change.

Hope that helps.
The following users liked this post:
kfanciulli (08-13-2014)
Old 02-14-2014, 12:37 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Slyck
I was having issues with mine as well. I ended up sanding off the tabs and installing them "backwards" since it makes no sense that they'd have it wired backwards. It fired up and works perfectly now that I made that change.

Hope that helps.
Yup, that's what I had to do; remove the little tab/nub.

Shouldn't have to do this. Someone to talk to iJDMToy
Old 02-14-2014, 09:35 AM
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by guitarplayer16
Yup, that's what I had to do; remove the little tab/nub.

Shouldn't have to do this. Someone to talk to iJDMToy
Funny you should say that, I emailed them yesterday after figuring what was going on. The DRL's look awesome, I like the little bit of blue in them, however the fact that they haven't fixed their kit and this has been going on for years seems insane to me. Just my
Old 04-03-2014, 09:34 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
The video is on private.. is there any other videos out there?
Old 04-04-2014, 08:43 AM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice! I'm going to pick me up a pair after seeing this.
Old 04-04-2014, 02:36 PM
6th Gear

is the ijdmtoy kit the only one people are installing with all the wiring issues or is there other options?
Old 04-04-2014, 03:04 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Bought my kit through VLeds and works like a charm
Old 04-06-2014, 03:55 PM
10th Gear

Look awesome
But I have a question?
Would it be on at the same time with the hid?

Originally Posted by The Machine
I recently bought the ijdmtoy LED DRL kit seen here: http://store.ijdmtoy.com/9005-LED-Da...d_sku45_r3.htm
It was a pretty straight forward install even though it didn't come with any instructions, so I figured I would do a little write up for anyone looking to buy the kit and install it.

I used this video as a reference even though it's the V-Leds kit, but the ijdmtoy kit is very similar.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLJm4P-cBzA

Here is a picture of the ijdmtoy kit laid out:

After taking off all the plastic engine trim, remove your factory halogen bulbs from the socket. The driver side is a pain compared to the passenger side, but you can do it with some patience as there is not much room for you to work.
Connect the the inline resistor harness to the factory bulb socket.

Now connect the white connector from the inline resistor harness to the black connector on the main harness. NOTE: YOU MUST HAVE THE RED WIRE IN LINE WITH THE BLACK WIRE! The connection looks like it should be made the other way because there is a tab on the black connector from the main harness that the two white pieces from the resistor harness hold on to when connected, however, the lights WILL NOT work if you connect them that way and the black wires from each harness are inline with each other.

RED IN LINE WITH BLACK

Now you can attach the ground wire from the main harness. It is a 10mm bolt.

Next insert the LED bulb into the main harness connector. You may need to remove the lime green rubber piece otherwise it makes it very difficult for the connector and bulb to meet fully. (I took the green piece off.)

Next mount the gold inline resistor to the frame. I used double sided tape squares for this and cleaned the area well before attaching the resistor so it would stick properly. There are small holes on the resistor you can utilize if you prefer to use self tapping screws to attach the resistor to the frame, but that is up to you.

Repeat the same steps above for the drivers side. After making all the proper connections on the driver side, connect the red wire from the main harness to the positive battery terminal, which is also a 10mm bolt. Be careful not to remove the lead to the battery when removing the bolt as there is no need to remove the lead from the battery terminal.

Button everything up and enjoy your new LED DRL's with NO DRL light on the dash!!

Old 04-07-2014, 05:51 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hope that helps.
Same here.... A couple things threw me off. The ijdmjoy harness i received is different than the ones pictured here. There was no single wire connector with just a red or black wire like the instructions said. For the wires that plug into the factory harness, one had a black with two reds and the other had two blacks and one red. Then, my car's factory harness has black/yellow/blue wires for the headlights not red/black so matching them up was not so logical. After fully seating both driver and passenger connectors upside it work.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:27 PM
9th Gear

Going to try this out!
Old 05-12-2014, 05:16 PM
9th Gear

Oops

Last edited by REDT2; 05-12-2014 at 05:21 PM.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:15 PM
Jchang

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The video does not work, I bought Vleds Bulbs, morimoto relay harness, and resistors, but am having trouble installing. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I tried following this DIY but I am lost

Anyone have more pictures or a video? Thanks for helping out a noob.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:43 AM
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
how is everyone coming along with this kit?

such a better price point compared to V-LED but you get what you pay for... would love some insight from users at 6 months to a year of use

matthew
Old 07-21-2014, 09:03 AM
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 78 Posts
Harness works great, bulbs are crap. Trying to justify on spending 60$ for VLED bulbs
Old 07-21-2014, 09:04 PM
Safety Car

Had the ijdmtoy harness paired with the $60 VLED DRL bulbs for about 3 months and I started having problems.

Bulb would flicker on and off. Turns out the relay was at fault. Replaced the relay with 2 new relays and they both worked for a few weeks and started giving me problems again.

I went ahead and ordered a relay harness from VLEDs and ever since than it's been fine. Been running with it for about a year with no problems now.

However I did have 2 of my $60 VLED DRL bulbs burn out on me. Luckily they have a 12 month warranty.

First one burnt out about 8-9 months in. Second one died 11 months in. Luckily warranty was still in place. Had both replaced.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:15 PM
Drifting

Received 223 Likes on 195 Posts
I do not recommend iJDMtoy at all
http://www.yelp.com/biz/ijdmtoy-auto...ng-san-gabriel

I went there directly to swap bulbs that didn't match the set I bought for my parents car and they told me I would have to get a refund and buy the other set they had rather than just giving me 2 bulbs that matched the set. You'll see my rating on their yelp. Never again will I buy anything from them
Old 07-22-2014, 08:57 AM
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by mvp2765
Harness works great, bulbs are crap. Trying to justify on spending 60$ for VLED bulbs
Had the ijdmtoy harness paired with the $60 VLED DRL bulbs for about 3 months and I started having problems.

Bulb would flicker on and off. Turns out the relay was at fault. Replaced the relay with 2 new relays and they both worked for a few weeks and started giving me problems again.

I went ahead and ordered a relay harness from VLEDs and ever since than it's been fine. Been running with it for about a year with no problems now.

However I did have 2 of my $60 VLED DRL bulbs burn out on me. Luckily they have a 12 month warranty.

First one burnt out about 8-9 months in. Second one died 11 months in. Luckily warranty was still in place. Had both replaced.
Originally Posted by HairyMonkey019
I do not recommend iJDMtoy at all
http://www.yelp.com/biz/ijdmtoy-auto...ng-san-gabriel

I went there directly to swap bulbs that didn't match the set I bought for my parents car and they told me I would have to get a refund and buy the other set they had rather than just giving me 2 bulbs that matched the set. You'll see my rating on their yelp. Never again will I buy anything from them
the old adage rings true then...

thanks guys V-LEDS it is
Old 07-22-2014, 01:44 PM
Intermediate

Im getting ready to order mines now but im debating on the blue or xenon white. What are you KBP guys running? Has anyone compared both led colors on the car?
Old 07-22-2014, 05:45 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jays_kbp610
Im getting ready to order mines now but im debating on the blue or xenon white. What are you KBP guys running? Has anyone compared both led colors on the car?
Please get white.

I can't speak for your state but here in TX it is illegal to run blue or red lights in the front of the vehicle. Such colors are reserved for emergency vehicles such as ambulance / fire department / police, etc.

Blue DRL is very juvenile. The choice is yours.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:54 PM
Intermediate

Such colors are reserved for emergency vehicles such as ambulance / fire department / police, etc.
Great point here, and being from california everything is pretty mich illegal here.lol
Old 08-13-2014, 11:31 PM
5th Gear

Funny you should say that, I emailed them yesterday after figuring what was going on. The DRL's look awesome, I like the little bit of blue in them, however the fact that they haven't fixed their kit and this has been going on for years seems insane to me. Just my
6 months later, my brand new kit still has this same issue! Luckily I had read this thread over before pulling my hair out.

My kit is the "Xenon White" which looks pretty blue to me, but hopefully not so much that it'll be considered 'juvenile'.

iJDMtoy Daytime Running Light conversion to LED by kfanciu, on Flickr

iJDMtoy Daytime Running Light conversion to LED by kfanciu, on Flickr

2003 Porsche 911 Turbo [pics] UMW 1-bar ECU tune | H&R Coilovers & 24mm rear sway | CCW C10's 235f/315r
2008 Acura TL Type S 6MT [pics]
ex's: '01 BMW M5, '08 G37S Coupe 6MT, ''98 Trans Am WS6 M6, '98 Trans Am M6 conv't, '97 Mustang Cobra conv't, '92 Stealth Twin Turbo
Old 12-08-2014, 04:54 PM
Desert Life Sucks!!

Received 673 Likes on 500 Posts
I installed this same kit a couple years ago. Mine is still working fine.
Old 12-14-2014, 07:57 AM
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Is there anyone in metro Boston area that wants to make a few bucks by installing my DRL's on my 2008 Type S? I have everything needed (i think)
Old 12-29-2014, 01:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Is there a different between the VLEDS and iJDM kits? Which one is the correct one for an 05 TL with aftermarker DRL module installed.
Old 12-29-2014, 03:09 PM
Race Director

There is a difference.

Both do the same thing.

iJDMToy is as simple as it gets.
It's not as good quality as VLEDS, but it's also a lot cheaper.
Old 01-07-2015, 02:41 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
would this module work for my 05 acura tl, im trying to get LED DRL kit?
Old 01-07-2015, 02:42 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts

but no...

You need DRL functionality for this to work for you.
Old 01-07-2015, 02:50 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rockstar143

but no...

You need DRL functionality for this to work for you.

lol im offically confused on this topic
Old 01-07-2015, 02:56 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
There is a module for non DRL cars, that gives them DRL.

People that have THAT, and people that have cars that COME with DRL...like to run LED bulbs...but they don't work correctly without an LED module.

So...if you have an 05 TL that is not from Canada (where DRL was standard)...then you need 2 modules. One for DRL functionality...and one to be able to run an LED bulb in your DRL location.

Unless IDJM or USR have made one that does both. In which case, I'm wrong.

Quick Reply: iJDMtoy Led DRL Harness Install w/Pics