AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G TL (2004-2008) (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/)
-   -   I Refused to Believe I Would Be a Statistic (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/i-refused-believe-i-would-statistic-977389/)

gatrhumpy 02-22-2019 02:01 PM

I Refused to Believe I Would Be a Statistic

I developed, just today, the notorious dash crack by the passenger airbag. I took care of the dash. I parked in my garage every night. I put on sunshades. I was confident that the dash crack would not come to my doorstop. Well, it kicked in my front door, shot me, and then left. The value of my car just went down by an order of magnitude. I have 131K miles on the car now.

:whyme:

Now I have four options (in order of ascending cost):

1. Do nothing and drive the car as is. Dash crack will only get worse with time.
2. Get a fabric dash mat. Ugly as sin, and a band-aid fix.
3. Get a plastic dash cover. Not as bad as above, but still ugly. Will not use screws. :precious:
4. Ask Acura to see about covering a portion of the dash repair. I know the corporate ops manager at a local dealer (former Navy Captain and CO). If they say no, then I would either go with one of the above options or below.
5. Sell the car meow and get a newer car.

gatrhumpy 02-22-2019 02:06 PM

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...de029e18a0.jpg

wusty23jd 02-22-2019 02:18 PM

This makes me want to cry!

thoiboi 02-22-2019 02:21 PM

part it out..

gatrhumpy 02-22-2019 02:30 PM

I do have the old wheels and tires. I could sell the newer A-spec wheels for a pretty penny.

horseshoez 02-22-2019 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by gatrhumpy (Post 16387369)
I developed, just today, the notorious dash crack by the passenger airbag. I took care of the dash. I parked in my garage every night. I put on sunshades. I was confident that the dash crack would not come to my doorstop. Well, it kicked in my front door, shot me, and then left. The value of my car just went down by an order of magnitude. I have 131K miles on the car now.

:whyme:

Now I have four options (in order of ascending cost):

1. Do nothing and drive the car as is. Dash crack will only get worse with time.
2. Get a fabric dash mat. Ugly as sin, and a band-aid fix.
3. Get a plastic dash cover. Not as bad as above, but still ugly. Will not use screws. :precious:
4. Ask Acura to see about covering a portion of the dash repair. I know the corporate ops manager at a local dealer (former Navy Captain and CO). If they say no, then I would either go with one of the above options or below.
5. Sell the car meow and get a newer car.

The other option would be to buy a new dash and have a local shop put it in.

BreezyTL 02-22-2019 02:54 PM

Honestly pulling the dash isn't too hard, just time consuming and tedious. You just need to unbolt it from the car's frame and it pull it out as a whole. My only concern would be alignment afterwards. Its doable!!!

truonghthe 02-22-2019 02:59 PM

BTW once the crack started its a no stop to prevent it from cracking, my 07 Base 1st crack just like yours now, I park the car in the garage 98% of time and dose the dash with 303 and yet now i got like 5 different cracks. You will have to start the process with Acura relation line (most dealer don't want to file the paper work) and hopefully they provide some coverage for the dash replacement.

MyGuti 02-22-2019 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by gatrhumpy (Post 16387399)
I do have the old wheels and tires. I could sell the newer A-spec wheels for a pretty penny.

Id be interested in those wheels

Jackass 02-22-2019 08:21 PM

Mine split on the driver's side before the airbag lines ever split. Now it is cracked all over the place.

Sorry to see it go. We have all theorized it is just a matter of time for any and all TLs. I have accepted the mess of a dash I have now as my car is the beater these days used for basic commuting duties.

NBP04TL4ME 02-22-2019 08:27 PM

This was recently updated - https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...ctures-971476/

gatrhumpy 02-23-2019 02:46 PM

I am leaning towards still rocking this car. At the very least, I'm most likely going to get a Coverlay dash coverup. Yes, that goes against all the OCD-ness that I have, but I can't justify spending tens of thousands on a newer car for a dash crack. I know perhaps there will be others, but right now, the Coverlay seems like the best option.

Although, the IS350 in Ultrsonic Blue Mica looks nice... :D

truonghthe 02-23-2019 05:49 PM

you mean the 2011 IS350 F Sport? lol even then you will be dealing with dash and door panel melting issue.

gatrhumpy 02-23-2019 08:41 PM

2017 possibly.

cdleonard286 02-23-2019 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by gatrhumpy (Post 16387399)

Id be interested too!🤣

truonghthe 02-24-2019 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by gatrhumpy (Post 16388072)
2017 possibly.

I hate the exterior of the MMC but love the interior along with small power jump.

gatrhumpy 02-24-2019 09:19 AM

I thought I hated the exterior too, but for some odd reason, it catches my eye. Weird right?

04WDPSeDaN 02-24-2019 10:03 AM

I'm sorry to see that your dashboard cracked. Not sure if it was a debate with you or someone else here, but point being, everyone's dashboard will crack, no matter what you do and where you live. It's a manufacturing defect. When I worked for Acura, the two notorious weak spots were due to the way they completed the mold on the entire dash. One crack over the right side of the airbag opening and the other over the center speaker. I forget the exact molding procedure but it's just how they made it and how that area allows more expansion and contraction as we go through climate changes and use the A/C or Heat.

As I suggested once before, you can try to get a good will claim through one of the better dealerships in your area. You need to call Acura Corporate 1st and file a claim. Go to the dealership that you suggest to Corporate to look at the dashboard. You may or may not pay a diagnostic fee (It's common sense, you need a new dashboard) and have the service manager file a claim and see what Acura and the dealership are willing to do. Most of the power is in the hands of the dealership. There's a dealership in FL that is notorious for helping out many with this issue, not sure if you're local to them but it's been mentioned many times before in cracked dash threads. Keep in mind, if you have the dealership do this, you will once again be on borrowed time.

Option 2 is buying a in good but used condition dashboard and tackling the job with a friend or paying a shop to do the work. Keep in mind, you will once again be on borrowed time.

Option 3 is buying that overlay cover

Option 4 is living with it.

As I said, the designed never changed, the material never changed the mold never changed ect ect. So a new replacement will also crack with due time. It was a faulty design and Acura did nothing to correct it. Everyone will eventually get a crack. Some don't see it for MANY MANY years.

nfnsquared 02-24-2019 12:11 PM

It's Trump's fault!!! Oops, wrong forum. (The OP gets it :biggrin: )

That sucks. I'm relieved and somewhat surprised that my dash is still crack free. I've always used a sun shade, garaged when at home and used 303 a few times. Spent 3 years in the Louisiana heat and 13 years in the ND ice box. I wish I knew what, if any, magic was involved in keeping the dash crack free. I'm not going to sweat it too much, if it happens, it happens.

And that dash overlay looks pretty damn good. I'd say it's the best option short of replacing the dash. Sub'd to hear if you have any luck getting Acura to help out with a dash replacement.

horseshoez 02-24-2019 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by nfnsquared (Post 16388298)
It's Trump's fault!!! Oops, wrong forum. (The OP gets it :biggrin: )

That sucks. I'm relieved and somewhat surprised that my dash is still crack free. I've always used a sun shade, garaged when at home and used 303 a few times. Spent 3 years in the Louisiana heat and 13 years in the ND ice box. I wish I knew what, if any, magic was involved in keeping the dash crack free. I'm not going to sweat it too much, if it happens, it happens.

Gotta agree with here here, my car should by all rights have a cracked dash and yet it doesn't. I don't treat it, I don't clean it, I park outside year-round in the glaring sun and in the extreme cold, and also like you, I am relieved and surprised it is still crack free.

I'm actually toying with the idea of pre-buying a new dash and keeping it in storage until mine finally cracks, and then spending a long weekend doing a replacement.

gatrhumpy 02-24-2019 01:18 PM

The dash is never going to get better. For better or worse, I applied some black adhesive sealant to the crack (the kind that would be used to adhere the plastic Coverlay to the dash). So that pretty much means that the goodwill repair will be out because I tried to "fix" it myself. I can see the beginning of the end for my ownership of that car.

My son is 11, and most likely I will take care of it until he gets his driver's license and turns 16. So I hope to take care of it enough so that will be his first car.

Still sucks.

Midnight Mystery 02-24-2019 03:34 PM

I'm expecting to have a craked dash if I get another TL... I love your car, Gatr! But if you don't want it, take my Kia, dash looks new still :)

I'm only a 6 hour drive west! :)

Midnight Mystery 02-24-2019 03:39 PM

If you really love the car, you will accept the cracks that come with age... Do you plan on getting divorced once your wife starts to look older?

I know a car is different to most people, but to me, having a car for a few years or more means deep emotional attachment and excusing or completely dismissing any flaws that come up... Like an old dog or cat going gray... Love is love, and love is blind... Love your car man! Seriously, I love your car...

But I get why new and appealing things are nice! Get an S6 and be like :rice:

NBP04TL4ME 02-24-2019 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by gatrhumpy (Post 16388327)
My son is 11, and most likely I will take care of it until he gets his driver's license and turns 16. So I hope to take care of it enough so that will be his first car.

Very nice ride for a new driver - cracked dash or not. He just needs to be careful with the power the TL has for a new / inexperienced driver.

MyGuti 02-24-2019 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery (Post 16388362)
If you really love the car, you will accept the cracks that come with age... Do you plan on getting divorced once your wife starts to look older?

I know a car is different to most people, but to me, having a car for a few years or more means deep emotional attachment and excusing or completely dismissing any flaws that come up... Like an old dog or cat going gray... Love is love, and love is blind... Love your car man! Seriously, I love your car...

I don't know you but you sound like an idiot :)

NBP04TL4ME 02-24-2019 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery (Post 16388362)

Huh? :scratch:

Midnight Mystery 02-24-2019 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by MyGuti (Post 16388387)
I don't know you but you sound like an idiot :)

An idiot, seriously... :bored:

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt because I don't know you... But this is how I think.

I'm a highly intelligent, socially awkward autistic 22 year old that has been going through a lot of complex life scenarios as of late...

The point I'm attempting to convay is that the longer a car is owned by one person, the more it's worth to that person, or atleast that's how it is for me :)

Not sure how Gatr is, he is "special" in his own way! :wave:

Love the lane watch you added, btw, Gatr!

Midnight Mystery 02-24-2019 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by NBP04TL4ME (Post 16388409)
Huh? :scratch:

This should make more less sence :rofl:

My Baby, My Baby!!!

2016 Mystery Meat at work here :) I'm usually not this incoherent anymore, but it's just how I am sometimes...

Slpr04UA6 02-24-2019 05:57 PM

I have the same, as do a lot of people. I covered my windshield all the time since I’ve owned it, (2008) Spent three years out of a garage, but always sunshade and parked in shade.

I thought I was lucky until......a cple years ago, walked out to garage, and saw the first crack. (Yes, ocd, but I use sunshade in garage due to windows allowing morning sun in). It really sucks, acura didn’t want to even budge on anything. Acura corporate acted like they’ve never heard of this. I still haven’t done anything, but am leaning towards coverlay. Unless I could find a good dash to take my time and swap in. :shrug:

gatrhumpy 02-24-2019 07:54 PM

I contacted two companies to see what the cost would be to professionally repair the crack, new blending and paint and everything. I'll update once I get the cost.

Midnight Mystery 02-24-2019 10:18 PM

Ok. Curious to find out myself...

gatrhumpy 02-25-2019 05:42 AM

Guys, let's be nice here

wusty23jd 02-25-2019 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by horseshoez (Post 16388301)
Gotta agree with here here, my car should by all rights have a cracked dash and yet it doesn't. I don't treat it, I don't clean it, I park outside year-round in the glaring sun and in the extreme cold, and also like you, I am relieved and surprised it is still crack free.

I'm actually toying with the idea of pre-buying a new dash and keeping it in storage until mine finally cracks, and then spending a long weekend doing a replacement.

I have also thought of this as an option, so I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one. Of course, cost is the biggest factor, but it's definitely something to keep in the back of our minds.

horseshoez 02-25-2019 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by wusty23jd (Post 16388603)
I have also thought of this as an option, so I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one. Of course, cost is the biggest factor, but it's definitely something to keep in the back of our minds.

I suppose cost is one factor, however, I look at it as the cost of keeping a car I really like on the road versus buying something currently on the market which I'd hate. All thing considered, given I have no car payment, I can effectively put four or five hundred per month into a maintenance fund (money I would otherwise spend on a car payment), and that buys a heck of a lot of repair and maintenance work.

gatrhumpy 02-25-2019 11:23 AM

My sentiments exactly. I really, REALLY like this car. I want to keep it for as long as I can, but also I'm battling my OCD.

wusty23jd 02-25-2019 11:56 AM

I agree with you both 100%. Too many people finance the crap out of their vehicles and I'm here rocking a 2005 Acura TL and my wife has a 2007 Acura RDX. I baby them too much to let them go. $1,000 is just a lot to spend for a cosmetic fix if you buy new. Ugh, the dilemma...

I'm a CPA geek and am overly compulsive as well, so I know how you feel. Just recently, I noticed a rip in lower portion of the rubber seal around my wife's RDX door. I am debating on ordering a replacement, because ti's driving me nuts that dirt and debris are filtering inside the molding. She thinks I'm crazy.

horseshoez 02-25-2019 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by wusty23jd (Post 16388746)
I agree with you both 100%. Too many people finance the crap out of their vehicles and I'm here rocking a 2005 Acura TL and my wife has a 2007 Acura RDX. I baby them too much to let them go. $1,000 is just a lot to spend for a cosmetic fix if you buy new. Ugh, the dilemma...

I'm a CPA geek and am overly compulsive as well, so I know how you feel. Just recently, I noticed a rip in lower portion of the rubber seal around my wife's RDX door. I am debating on ordering a replacement, because ti's driving me nuts that dirt and debris are filtering inside the molding. She thinks I'm crazy.

Oh I'd easily spend the grand, probably at the same time as I'd order a new set of skins for the seats for another $1,400. Last year I PMed much of the mechanical stuff in the car, new clutch and flywheel, six new engine/transmission mounts, rear main seal, new stabilizer bar end links and bushings, new axles, and probably a few other goodies I'm forgetting about.

gatrhumpy 02-25-2019 12:10 PM

I was considering replacing the seats with new leather also until this crack appeared.

3sleeper3 02-25-2019 05:02 PM

I've got an '06 with 102k miles and thankfully the dash hasn't cracked. With everything I've seen on this forum I've accepted the fact that it will eventually crack and have already decided to get a Coverlay when that day comes. I look forward to seeing updates from gatr regarding those quotes and eventual decision.

Slpr04UA6 02-25-2019 05:14 PM

I agree with most on the saving for eventual maintenance. This is beyond that, and shouldn’t be our issue, Altho ultimately it is. I just wager the fact that mine is 15yrs old now. And If I was to replace it, at only cost of the dash itself, it still seems to be a hefty expense (I do realize a new car costs xxxxx). I love the car, and at 84K miles, it still has a lot of life left.

So I guess I should just suck it up, and pay for the dash, and replace myself. And add in some things I’ve read that people do, to prevent this from happening too soon. For example, rubber o-rings between the main mounting points to frame, to possibly eliminate some flexing. And another member mentioned some type of styrofoam layer in certain spots to aid In the flexing aspect. :shrug: