Sponsored by:

Hurricane Irma car damage.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 02:42 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Hurricane Irma car damage.

Hey all,
Hope this finds all well. To all of my Acura forum brothers and sisters who live in Florida and having had to experience Irma I hope that all is returning to normal quickly. Anyways, my car took some damage during the storm. Yes it is garage kept, however I had some patio furniture in the garage. My insurance company looked at the car today and quoted it. Damages are not bad. With all this said my insurance company will take care of the car and get it fixed. I am really glad about that, but that's why we have car insurance. I always say you can replace cars and other possessions, but you can't replace a life. Are use my car as a tool to get from point A to point B, I don't post much but I do come to the forms often to read. I will say that my car is a pleasure own. I've been through many hurricanes, and although they disrupt life, they seem to be more of an annoyance than anything else. I always say that The threat of a major hurricane is coming to a theater near us soon. Last year we had Matthew which due to the fact that it stays off the coast Florida had dodged a huge bullet. I have friends on the West Coast which the storm did affect. most importantly they are all ok. To all of you, stay safe.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,584 Likes on 6,630 Posts
Glad you and your family are okay! And you're right, that's exactly what car insurance is for
Old 09-13-2017, 04:13 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Good that you guys are all okay.

I know somebody that got a flood damaged car, and it was a nightmare. How high did the water submerge your car?
Old 09-13-2017, 04:25 PM
Instructor

There wasn't really a flood damage to my car. Just a lot of paperwork and all the panels to the flying debris probably. I did end up taking some water in it in the passenger side, it doesn't look that bad but there still going to take care of it. You know clean the carpet and redo what needs to be done, and that as well we paint the panels that were damaged. So luckily not a huge flood damage, yes water in the car, All in all I'd say I got off lucky.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:31 PM

Received 152 Likes on 99 Posts
Whereabouts in Florida?

When it looked like Irma might strike Tampa as a category 3, I evacuated to North Carolina with family and left the TL huddled in a friend's garage.

Ultimately I don't think we got worse than tropical storm force winds here, but I'm still glad it was sheltered. Lots of tree limbs (and even some trees) down around here.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:58 PM
Instructor

Well bro, I'm in St. Lucie County. We got pretty strong winds and a lot of rain. Family is doing fine House is fine. Car is really OK to, just damage. Nowhere near like what wilma was for us when We were in Boca. I used to have an SVT when I lived there. That car took $3700 worth of damage. Feel really bad for my friends in Tampa. So far my damages are 2000. I suspect when it's all done and said that it will be somewhere in the 24 to 2500 mark.that's just a wild guess, but I can tell you the quote was for a little bit over 2000. - my 500 comp deductible.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:01 PM
Instructor

Wow I said paperwork and one of my last post sorry paint work is what I meant to say.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:52 AM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I came out to a flat tire somehow. No signs of damage but it was completely flat
Old 09-19-2017, 06:14 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad to hear that everything worked out and that the flooding to the car was minimal and that the surface damage was basically just paint repair(s). Just be sure to dry everything out the best you can!