Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to get better gas mileage while using sportshifter? '08 AT TL

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 08:06 PM
[x] FWCC [x]

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by burntrat
Man, I am also getting low miles, but I am only using D. I used to get like 16-20 MPG, then switched to premium then started to get like 14-15 MPG. It might be because I am driving a little bit more aggressive now that I feel more comfortable on the city road.

I paid around the same price as the OP to fill up my tank from low fuel light. I think it was like $46.xx for 13 gallons at $3.61.

I really need to increase my MPG because it makes me want to drive less and less.
Lucky u. I pay $60 to fill up my tank in New York. I never think about how much im gonna spend for gas but i do always leave $80 for me to enjoy for the whole week since i love to waste my money on bullshit lol.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:01 PM
under renovations....

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Even if you reset the ecu it's only for a brief time it'll act like new. All the new honda ecu's are learning ecu's it'll go back to the way it was once you continue your driving habits.

Have you ever thought about checking to see if the pre-cats are clean, I've heard sometimes when the catalytic converter is clogged up or just to dirty inside it can affect gas mileage.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:32 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow after reading this thread i guess i got my whole concept wrong. i thought the amount of gas consumed is based on rpm so i always use paddle shift on my 08 type s and shift around 2000 rpm.
i've been doing this for some time now and i actually feel the fuel needle doesn't drop as fast but the overall mpg is the same.
can any pros out there confirm whether or not it's more fuel efficient to shift at lower rpm?
Old 10-29-2011, 12:32 AM
illntakashi

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by TomuTLS
wow after reading this thread i guess i got my whole concept wrong. i thought the amount of gas consumed is based on rpm so i always use paddle shift on my 08 type s and shift around 2000 rpm.
i've been doing this for some time now and i actually feel the fuel needle doesn't drop as fast but the overall mpg is the same.
can any pros out there confirm whether or not it's more fuel efficient to shift at lower rpm?
From what I've learned from this is on a standard car, at low RPMS is best to be shifted at, while on an automatic, using SS mode is a waste of time unless you like wanna race someone and hold gears but it waste more gas. Always use D unless you want to continue wasting money and losing your best mpg. Check your MID's average mpg, it should say . (Correct me anyone if i'm wrong)

Also when using SS mode, if you floor it (lets say in first gear) would it hurt the transmission to let go of the gas pedal and shift up at around or almost redline (not quite there yet)? (hardshift i would say?) I've done this twice and I don't wanna do it anymore if it's going to hurt my tranny.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:27 AM
[x] FWCC [x]

lol that's what i do when i wanna take off super fast at a stop sign or entering a highway. I floor the gas pedal then i shift once the needle is almost near redlining it. If you do it right i gotten an exploding sound coming from my muffler like if it shot something. I love that sound lol or when switching from 2nd to 3rd gear my tires quickly chirp. To me it's all a sign of shifting at the right time to get most of the power (I hope)

Originally Posted by WhySoAsian
From what I've learned from this is on a standard car, at low RPMS is best to be shifted at, while on an automatic, using SS mode is a waste of time unless you like wanna race someone and hold gears but it waste more gas. Always use D unless you want to continue wasting money and losing your best mpg. Check your MID's average mpg, it should say . (Correct me anyone if i'm wrong)

Also when using SS mode, if you floor it (lets say in first gear) would it hurt the transmission to let go of the gas pedal and shift up at around or almost redline (not quite there yet)? (hardshift i would say?) I've done this twice and I don't wanna do it anymore if it's going to hurt my tranny.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:12 PM
illntakashi

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tones160
lol that's what i do when i wanna take off super fast at a stop sign or entering a highway. I floor the gas pedal then i shift once the needle is almost near redlining it. If you do it right i gotten an exploding sound coming from my muffler like if it shot something. I love that sound lol or when switching from 2nd to 3rd gear my tires quickly chirp. To me it's all a sign of shifting at the right time to get most of the power (I hope)

Lol are you being sarcastic??? :P
Old 11-07-2011, 05:02 PM
[x] FWCC [x]

Originally Posted by WhySoAsian
Lol are you being sarcastic??? :P
Lol seriously.....Why would i be sarcastic??
Old 11-08-2011, 08:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts
It's all about load efficiency. Shifting at low rpms may not always get the highest mpg return, shifting at very high rpms will definitely not return highest mpg.

Look in your manual it should give you ideal shift points that will return good numbers. Obviously depending on weight and other resistance it will fluctuate.

But ya I would shift out of first at lower revs then take 2nd and 3rd up to 2.5-3.5k.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:32 AM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by tones160
Exploding sound?

I've been stupidly experimenting with the AT shifters, and I've found that the ability to upshift is completely dependent on the speed.

0 mph you can upshift to 2
10 mph you can upshift to 3
20 mph you can upshift to 4
40 mph you can upshift to 5

Although, I assume shifting right when you reach these plateaus, isn't the best? I've been trying that for a few weeks and don't see any improved gas mileage.

If you are going 40mph in a 35 zone, then I assume 5 would obviously be the best option for lowest RPM. So I'll just use it for long stretches of certain speeds from now on....

Need to start driving for fun again. The damn Trip Computer kills my style. :p

Last edited by RedsTL; 11-08-2011 at 09:35 AM.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:22 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Might as well pitch in. I drive mostly city (too and from school and I race bikes so I shuttle at least 1 bike every day). Average ~25mph. I get ~19-22mpg on average using either D or SS. And that is with a heavy roof rack(maybe 40lbs?) and a downhill bike(just under 43lbs) on almost always. If you start paying attention, you can get to a point where you don't even feel the car shift in SS mode. I have a 07 TL-S with about 55k on it. If you play the cards right, you really shouldn't get worse MPG in SS because either way the engine is doing the same amount of work with the same fuel MAP... Try shifting between 2 and 2.5k rpm. Go light on the throttle and coast in your highest gear as often as possible.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:45 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In my 07' Type S I find the auto mode to be holding the lower gear longer than needed. I drive over hills each day to and from work and I use manual mode going down hill and never touch the gas unless I'm in the highest gear possible.

On level ground I shift right at the minimum that the transmission will let me. For the 07 Type S that's second to start with, then 3rd at 8 mph, 4th at 17-18 mph and 5th at 38 mph.

Of course, this is only when I'm not going anywhere in a hurry

I average 18 mpg in city driving and 30 mpg on the hwy (at 57 mph cruise). 27 mpg if I'm at 75 mph.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:06 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This is slightly off topic but still about sport shift:

my favorite use for it in every day driving is staying in 2nd in freeway stop and go traffic. this stops it from shifting down to 1st --> 2nd -->3rd then back to 1st every time you need to stop in traffic.

But yea, I don't notice a mpg change. I just did my 100k service. My freeway mpg went from 28 to 34 and I use sport shift 100% of the time. I expect the increase is from new spark plugs? I put on a UR crank pulley also but that wouldn't change MPG much I think.