3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How big is the difference between 2008 TL and 2008 TL-S?

Old 02-23-2008, 09:11 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How big is the difference between 2008 TL and 2008 TL-S?

I recently purchased new 2008 TL. Generally, I'm satisfied, however there are couple of issues:

1) Acceleration is not that good. I wish the car was faster. Engine response is not instant, there is a certain delay before car starts to accelerate. It is very irritating.
2) The car feels too hard on the road, I can feel every small bump.
3) Automatic shifting between gears is weird.

How big of the difference is be TL-S? Is it a good upgrade option?

Thanks!
Old 02-23-2008, 09:50 PM
aTLien

1) very very very different...faster acceleration and much faster.. i think the delays about the same tho...

2) mine seems fine, not that big of a deal...

3) automatic shifting, ugh one reason i wished a got a m/t... shifts often, akwardly, and hard at least with my experience
Old 02-23-2008, 10:04 PM
Too Fast TOO FURIOUS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1. TLS has 3.5L and TL has 3.2L.
2. TL/TLS is considered lux sports sedan. so, suspension is more sensitive.
3. once you are used to it, it won't be weird.

IMO, the biggest difference is 3.5L vs 3.2L (6spd vs. Auto).
Old 02-23-2008, 10:15 PM
A-spec steering wheel ftw

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
first of all, you're in an A/T correct? if you wanted more control over your shifts, should've gotten M/T.

now, if you think it's too bumpy for a reg TL, the TL-S and A-spec have stiffer springs.

for your immediate problems, your best bet is a CAI and a UR pulley.

going from a TL to a TL-S is basically paying a bit for for some more HP and some other stuff is a bit "better" but in general? it's pretty similar.

you're only getting a TL-S if you're a diehard fan of Acuras, if you have the money, or if you're just after the numbers.

i say this because you had a choice between a type S or a TL. and you chose the non-S.

so if you're sticking with the TL

Cold air intake
UR pulley
Springs/shocks - Teins are very nice
Old 02-23-2008, 10:28 PM
I have car ADD

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
Engine response = Drive by wire system... its the same on both TL/TL-s (slight delay) i havent driven yet, but its probably the same on the RDX and the new Accord V6
Old 02-23-2008, 10:29 PM
200,000 mile club

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by JCL622
first of all, you're in an A/T correct? if you wanted more control over your shifts, should've gotten M/T.

You can't get a standard 2008 tl with a 6 speed. You would need to upgrade the type-s so he has the auto. A lot of people have made the mistake of not test driving the type-s before buying the tl. You have a great car and it is a Honda so the car needs to rev a little before you see the car get up and go. People have traded the car in after realizing they needed the type-s. It's just a really costly mistake.
Old 02-23-2008, 11:40 PM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I have test driven

05 TL 6 speed
07 TL-S 6 speed and in auto
08 TL-S 6 speed

The TL-S 6 speed feels far superior in feel and speed than any TL auto period. Its is another car with the 6 speed. Since all Acura/Honda are not know for great torque down low the 6 speed manual lets you rev it up to hit peak torque when you want it.

I test drove that TL-S in auto and its no where near as exciting as the TL-S 6 speed. I've been dreaming of that car for half a year now but not enough $$ in the wallet.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:00 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
Night and day difference between the TL auto and TL 6MT. I have never driven an S because I can't afford one. I bought a used 06 6 spd and once I add a few bolt ons it'll be plenty fast for me. I really think it sucks that Acura doesn't offer the MT on the base model since they released the S. I know that very few people opted for it from 04-06, but c'mon, some people still like to shift for themselves but don't want to drop an extra few grand for the S.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:29 AM
Chris

Well for starters tls has 28 more horsepower, brembo front breaks, way stiffer suspension, two tone interior, twin dual exhaust, larger engine, different rims, trunk spoiler, red instead of blue instrument panel, carbon fiber looking interior, type s badges on wheel, seats ect

As far as the bumps, in a tl type s you will feel MORE of the road, but the response time of the engine is much improved. If you have a AT, try using tiptronic, once you get used to it, the car performs much better
Old 02-24-2008, 01:10 AM
Intermediate

Did you test drive the car first? Seems to me that all 3 of your complaints would have come to light in one or more test drives. I always make sure to test drive the car enough times so I can get an accurate picture of what it's like.
Old 02-24-2008, 01:13 AM
I have car ADD

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by calgary2800
Since all Acura/Honda are not know for great torque down low the 6 speed manual lets you rev it up to hit peak torque when you want it.

I test drove that TL-S in auto and its no where near as exciting as the TL-S 6 speed.
i gotta speak my mind on this.... i've got the 5AT, and to be real honest.. it is DEFINITELY one of the most aggresive automatic transmissions i have ever , ever driven... and ive driven some sick cars with an automatic (911, SL600, CLK55, etc.etc)

the TL-S 5AT allows you to rev high, shift aggresively, downshift from 2nd into 1st @ like 25mph (my 06 TL wouldnt do that)

the only "automatic" transmission that comes close is the M3 SMG, and thats more then just an auto

i bet the new nissan GT-R will be sick.. you know its only offered in a twin-clutch automatic transmission, and it will be the fastest mass-produced car on the market, with a 0-60 in 3.5 sec... so manual doesnt ALWAYS neccesarily mean better...

but i did drive a TL-S 6spd at the dealership, and paired with the LSD, it is an amazing and exhilirating experience
Old 02-24-2008, 01:36 AM
07 tl-s in

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I originally was gonna get a base tl but after test driving both,I went with the type-s. The little stuff (2-tone seats,dual exhaust,etc.) make a world of difference to me.Not only that 28hp may not seem like alot but you DEF feel it. I may be vain but I also like having top of the line stuff......
Old 02-24-2008, 04:12 AM
TL-S izdashiznittt in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by subbuzz
I originally was gonna get a base tl but after test driving both,I went with the type-s. The little stuff (2-tone seats,dual exhaust,etc.) make a world of difference to me.Not only that 28hp may not seem like alot but you DEF feel it. I may be vain but I also like having top of the line stuff......
WHAT HE SAID..........everything about the Type S makes me want to drool. the only things i would change on that car would be FWD to RWD. I cant really find any other flaws within the car. Throw in a CAI and ATLP Exhaust and a Comptech supercharger and you got yourself a sick ass car.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:15 AM
TL-S izdashiznittt in

srry one more thing i wanted 2 add......jst wanted to say no other car in its class comes close to the TL-S as far as Overall Options to price is concerned. Not to mention the design of the TL-S. G35, IS 350, BMW 3series. Buy any one of those full loaded the price is gonna go over 45 K
Old 02-24-2008, 08:22 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY
i gotta speak my mind on this.... i've got the 5AT, and to be real honest.. it is DEFINITELY one of the most aggresive automatic transmissions i have ever , ever driven... and ive driven some sick cars with an automatic (911, SL600, CLK55, etc.etc)

the TL-S 5AT allows you to rev high, shift aggresively, downshift from 2nd into 1st @ like 25mph (my 06 TL wouldnt do that)

the only "automatic" transmission that comes close is the M3 SMG, and thats more then just an auto

i bet the new nissan GT-R will be sick.. you know its only offered in a twin-clutch automatic transmission, and it will be the fastest mass-produced car on the market, with a 0-60 in 3.5 sec... so manual doesnt ALWAYS neccesarily mean better...

but i did drive a TL-S 6spd at the dealership, and paired with the LSD, it is an amazing and exhilirating experience

Great post and I completely agree!

Have owned and driven many auto cars and the TL-S AUTO transmission is really slick. As a matter of fact it took me a little while to really figure it out, I've also noticed that it if the stability control is turned off it reacts a little differently expecially near redline. I am all for a manual in a quick car but due to my occupation I need an AUTO, with the TL-S tranny I don't even miss having a manual. The fact you can shift to 1st and it perfectly blips the throttle to match the engine speed to the wheel speed is a fantastic feature. I owned a 2003 TL-S before this one and talk about a night and day difference in the transmission! That thing shifted hard and sloppy, my 07 S is super smooth going up or down.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:05 AM
2K8 CBP TL-S 6MT

to me the big selling point between the 6mt over the 5at is the LSD. and most likely NEVER drive one with out one
it all started with my VR6 which i installed to my truck and now my TL-S

if you like to drive a car hard in the tight corners this is a must
plus it always looks cooler with 2 lines on the road than the one wheel wonder LOL
Old 02-24-2008, 09:18 AM
200,000 mile club

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY

You are right about the type-s auto as I had the experience of taking Bearcats for a spin. I really thought it is a great setup. You can't compare a twin-clutch transmission to any other tranny out there as they are two completly different animals. With a twin clutch, it feels like the car has one long gear because the shifts are instant. I just hope the 09 TL comes out with that.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:15 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TLType-s12
srry one more thing i wanted 2 add......jst wanted to say no other car in its class comes close to the TL-S as far as Overall Options to price is concerned. Not to mention the design of the TL-S. G35, IS 350, BMW 3series. Buy any one of those full loaded the price is gonna go over 45 K
Actually, a loaded to the hilt G35 Sport 6MT comes in at 39K so I'd say it's pretty evenly matched in price to content to a Tl-S. Granted, if you were to go with the AWD G with similar options, the price would be around 41-42, but that wouldn't be a fair comparison. Both cars offer a solid value, but from a pure performance standpoint, I think the G nudges the TL-S at the 39K pricepoint. And the newer G's are so much nicer than the earlier runs.
Old 02-24-2008, 02:57 PM
Acuras Only in

Originally Posted by anx1300c
Actually, a loaded to the hilt G35 Sport 6MT comes in at 39K so I'd say it's pretty evenly matched in price to content to a Tl-S. Granted, if you were to go with the AWD G with similar options, the price would be around 41-42, but that wouldn't be a fair comparison. Both cars offer a solid value, but from a pure performance standpoint, I think the G nudges the TL-S at the 39K pricepoint. And the newer G's are so much nicer than the earlier runs.
Yeah? But a fully loaded type-s 6MT can be had at 35k, so compare that to the G35 ....

Besides, OP is asking for comparison between TL and type-s, so let's stay on topic & leave the G in the car talk segment ...
Old 02-24-2008, 03:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by shooter
Yeah? But a fully loaded type-s 6MT can be had at 35k, so compare that to the G35 ....

Besides, OP is asking for comparison between TL and type-s, so let's stay on topic & leave the G in the car talk segment ...
Uh oh, I guess I hit a nerve. You're the one who veered off topic and I simply commented on your statement.

Retail to retail, the two cars are the same and you can buy the G for well under sticker as well.
Old 02-24-2008, 05:20 PM
SlammedOnKonis

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I test drove the G35 and G37 before getting my TL-S. They're both very fast cars, faster than the TL, but the G35 (in my opinion) is just an ugly car. I would've gotten the G37, but my parents thought it was too fast for a coupe...
Old 02-24-2008, 05:53 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
I couldn't tell much difference between my 06AT and the AT TL-S I drove. Torque felt slightly stronger but it was a little disappointing. The manual made a huge difference.

I personally wouldn't pay the extra for the "S" due to my needs. I bought the TL mostly for it's looks and reliability and the fact that I already have a fast car. Even the "S" is slow compared to other cars in it's price range. The S seems a little more "teenagerish". IMO, the regular TL looks classier.
Old 02-24-2008, 06:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by shooter

Oops, I guess it wasn't you who compared the TL to the others. My bad.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:03 PM
aTLien

Originally Posted by I hate cars
I personally wouldn't pay the extra for the "S" due to my needs. I bought the TL mostly for it's looks and reliability and the fact that I already have a fast car. Even the "S" is slow compared to other cars in it's price range. The S seems a little more "teenagerish". IMO, the regular TL looks classier.
classier? its the same thing with different tails and the navi comes with every car on the type s and couple of a little more features... for more power and navi i think a couple of more bucks were worth it.. i dont think it being a type s makes in any more unreliable, hondas are known to live long and good warranty... it may not be fast for its price compared to some other cars, but i say that it looks better then most of those cars, lives longer, more comfortable, and my friends are more impressed with the tl-s then a 350z or even a g35... speed doesnt always matter to me at least

my
Old 02-24-2008, 07:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by jumbosizeme79
classier? its the same thing with different tails and the navi comes with every car on the type s and couple of a little more features... for more power and navi i think a couple of more bucks were worth it.. i dont think it being a type s makes in any more unreliable, hondas are known to live long and good warranty... it may not be fast for its price compared to some other cars, but i say that it looks better then most of those cars, lives longer, more comfortable, and my friends are more impressed with the tl-s then a 350z or even a g35... speed doesnt always matter to me at least

my
I don't see where I hate cars implied the S was any less reliable than the base model, I think he simply feels the S is a little more "boy racerish". I kind of agree, what with the wheels and two-tone seating surfaces. It'd be nice if Acura was a little more versatile with their options and would allow the engine and suspension upgrade without the other stuff.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

well, it is obvious..that those who did not purchase the TYPE S still are trying to convince themselves that they dont want/need it. Speaking from exp, I bought an 07 NBP first, without ever even driving the S...I was so happy with the base, and for 7 months reassured myself that the S wasnt that much better... then I came to my senses, called the dealership and walked away with an 08 NBP TYPE-S. The difference really crazy, especially the aggressive sound at high RPM's and the way the S drives it so much more...athletic. I went home this weekend, first time I could take the boys out in the car...they flipped out. So fast for a sedan, such a deep growl and huggin 25 mph corners at 70.. (paddle shifters are a blast), i felt like i could have started charging for lap times. The differences are truly seen when u push the thing a little bit, or alot for that matter.. Look, its a personal preference, I could just echo all the tech specs that separate the two, but that has already been done so many times...just enjoy what u got, or go get an TYPE-S
Old 02-24-2008, 10:22 PM
Team Owner

I don't see where I hate cars implied the S was any less reliable than the base model, I think he simply feels the S is a little more "boy racerish". I kind of agree, what with the wheels and two-tone seating surfaces. It'd be nice if Acura was a little more versatile with their options and would allow the engine and suspension upgrade without the other stuff.
That's exactly what I meant. The S is a great car and I definately would have given it more consideration if I could get the base interior and wheels. This is just my opinion, looks are subjective...
Old 02-24-2008, 10:29 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jeowen
well, it is obvious..that those who did not purchase the TYPE S still are trying to convince themselves that they dont want/need it. Speaking from exp, I bought an 07 NBP first, without ever even driving the S...I was so happy with the base, and for 7 months reassured myself that the S wasnt that much better... then I came to my senses, called the dealership and walked away with an 08 NBP TYPE-S. The difference really crazy, especially the aggressive sound at high RPM's and the way the S drives it so much more...athletic. I went home this weekend, first time I could take the boys out in the car...they flipped out. So fast for a sedan, such a deep growl and huggin 25 mph corners at 70.. (paddle shifters are a blast), i felt like i could have started charging for lap times. The differences are truly seen when u push the thing a little bit, or alot for that matter.. Look, its a personal preference, I could just echo all the tech specs that separate the two, but that has already been done so many times...just enjoy what u got, or go get an TYPE-S
If this is aimed at me, you're sadly mistaken. I can easily afford the S model and could pick one up any time I choose. For me, I don't need the extra power and I drive like an old man most of the time so why pay the extra? Not to put it down or anything but getting into the TL after having over 600hp under your foot makes it feel like the gas pedal is not connected to anything. Besides most of you can't drive, you only think you can and you never fully exploit the better handling of the S.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:30 PM
Instructor

well, it is obvious..that those who did not purchase the TYPE S still are trying to convince themselves that they dont want/need it.
HaHa! Speaking from experience. Where have I heard that before......I'm more than happy with the base TL, and so is my wallet. If I had wanted to spend an extra 4K I would have bought another G35X.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Honestly, I like the base 04-06 wheels best, along with the trapezoidal exhaust tips and the mono colored seats. I'm still pretty new to the TL, but I would speculate that a fully bolted 6MT base could be slightly quicker than a 5AT S. And there is always the aftermarket to address the suspension as well, but I don't have any intention of trying to make the TL handle like a 3 series.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:43 PM
Instructor

That's exactly what I meant. The S is a great car and I definately would have given it more consideration if I could get the base interior and wheels. This is just my opinion, looks are subjective...
I know two people who purchased Type-S and wanted base-model wheels. The dealers were more-than-happy to do the swap "free of charge" <---they actually probably make $ off customers who do this...
Old 02-25-2008, 12:36 AM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
Besides most of you can't drive, you only think you can and you never fully exploit the better handling of the S.
Quite an overconfident statement......How do you figure?
Old 02-25-2008, 09:28 AM
Three Wheelin'

If this is aimed at me, you're sadly mistaken. I can easily afford the S model and could pick one up any time I choose. For me, I don't need the extra power and I drive like an old man most of the time so why pay the extra? Not to put it down or anything but getting into the TL after having over 600hp under your foot makes it feel like the gas pedal is not connected to anything. Besides most of you can't drive, you only think you can and you never fully exploit the better handling of the S.
No, not aimed at any in specific..just a general observation due to several discussions on this topic. I completely understand what you are saying, especially since the 600hp beast. I also couldnt agree more about the last statement. I am lucky enough to have a buddy who is highly involved in track driving, racing..sponsorships... $$$, he just got his special order '08 335i in from Germany last week. WOW, and very race minded (he lucked out and married a pharmacist). Anyway, the track is a completley different game than the road, (even though some back roads turn into tracks when the time is right ). Its all good
Old 02-25-2008, 09:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 2008 Acura TL
HaHa! Speaking from experience. Where have I heard that before......I'm more than happy with the base TL, and so is my wallet. If I had wanted to spend an extra 4K I would have bought another G35X.
Don't really understand the first part, but good for you man, and I only had to pay 1300 more for the S
Old 02-25-2008, 11:05 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by jeowen
I agree with what I hate cars said about the price & I have yet to lose a trafic light sprint to a TypeS. But the bottom line tp me is the car is very good for what i bought it for & the TypeS had no nice to have or must have features to make me consider it.

Also, the thing you need to understand is for a lot of us the TL is a second, third, or fourth car so its not a "what you can afford" issue.

Personally, I think the two tone seats are very Mickey Mouse & the oversized round exhaust tips remind me of the baloney sliced dual kits a lot of people here have on their pickups. IMHO the base TL has a much cleaner look to it, your mileage may vary.

When I bought the '08 Expedition, with an invoice price about $11,000 over a Type S, I went up a model line to the Limited series because the Eddie Bauer version had two tone seats.

As for performance a TypeS/5AT is no big challenge to my TL/6MT in a sprint. That being said I expect a TypeS/6MT would be a more interesting competition but they are pretty much non-existent around here even though we have TL & TL-S's up the wazoo.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Here we go again with the swingin' dicks .
TL vs. TL-S, 5 AT vs. 6MT
One driver thinking he's just the best, and everyone else is a wanna be

We buy cars for either what fits our wallets, or our personalities. Either reason, and there are probably other reasons, is valid.

Both the TL and the TL-S are fabulous machines. The TL fits the mainstream that buys reliability, class, and technology. The TL-S fits those that are more perfomance oriented.

The OP asked "how big is the difference?"
The difference is what you want or need in a car. For some, the difference is huge, for others, it is not. It's not a competition, it's a family

'07 TL-S 5AT CBP/Taupe
Michelin Pilot A/S's
K&N CAI
P2R throttle body/spacers
Braille 15lb A/S battery
Progress 24mm RSB
Graduate Acura Advanced High Performance Driving School (MidOhio)
Old 02-25-2008, 12:25 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
^^

I agree, so much is personal preference.

I still say the real difference is that you pay a couple of grand for the TL-S and get some "built in" mods. Or you buy the Base and spend a couple of grand on "your" mods. Both cars end up in about the same place price and performance wise.

Styling will never make everyone happy. Red vs Blue; 2-tone vs not; Quads vs Rectangularetc, etc. It's a waste of energy to argue about which is better stylistically.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:45 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
For the OP, here are the differences:

Type-S Exclusive Features
3.5-liter, 286 hp, 24-valve, SOHC VTEC® 6-cylinder engine
Exclusive 10-spoke, 17-inch aluminum alloy wheels
Sport-tuned suspension
Four-piston Brembo brakes
Black chrome exterior trim
Wider side sills
Exclusive front and rear fascia
Exclusive headlight, taillight and side marker treatments
Three-spoke steering wheel
Aluminum carbon-fiber look trim and contrast stitching on doors, seats and steering wheel
High-performance seats with increased lateral support and Type-S logo embossed on headrest
Gauges featuring "spun-metal" look with laser-etched numerals
Standard Acura Satellite-Linked Navigation System™
Active Noise Cancellation (ANC)
Ambient cabin lighting (Red)
Stainless steel sport pedals
Integrated quad-outlet sport exhaust
Rear Type-S badging
http://www.hondanews.com/categories/733/releases/4209

http://www.hondanews.com/categories/733/releases/4208
Old 02-25-2008, 12:56 PM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
I hate threads like this, they always elope into inflated opinions.

My reasons for choosing the Type-S....

I simply wanted a fully loaded TL,

I like:

-the exterior aggressive aesthetics

-the red lit interior

-the 2 tone interior

-the Type-S steering wheel

-the nice 3.5 engine with an aggressive RL tranny

-paddle shifters (used them twice, lol)

-EDIT (forgot the Brembo braking system, excellent braking power)

I dislike two things:

-stock rims

-car eats tooo much gas.

Another reason why I went with the Type-S, I do not want to mod, at least not performance wise or styling…..just maybe a drop and new rims.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Yep, I said I wasn't gonna mod either [lol!]

'07 TL-S 5AT CBP/Taupe
Michelin Pilot A/S's
K&N CAI
P2R throttle body/spacers
Braille 15lb A/S battery
Progress 24mm RSB

P.S. I also say I'm going to keep this one 1M miles

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How big is the difference between 2008 TL and 2008 TL-S?