Sponsored by:

Honda Enthusiast = New Owner

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2004, 10:57 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honda Enthusiast = New Owner

Hello and Happy Holidays!

I'm a proud new owner of a NBP/Camel TL/Auto. She's a beauty!!

I would like to introduce myself and thank all of you for sharing the knowledge. This is a great site, with plenty of useful information.

A bit of history on myself. I consider myself to be an Auto and Sports Enthusiast. Currently, this is the third Honda that I've bought new from a dealership. I appreciate the reliability and quality of Honda's products. The first Honda I owned was a 1995 Civic DX manual tranny. The car was great, but in 1999 I gave in and bought a Civic Si coupe. I couldn't pass up the DOHC 1.6L engine! The car was rated at 160hp, but trust me that engine pushes more HP than that. Shortly after I got married, the wifey didn't really like my "Pimped Si", so I had to let her go for a '02 Chevy Avalanche, which I leased. Yeah a Chevy, but let me tell you that is one nice truck! Very reliable and the best truck on the street IMO. Don't ask me why, but I will never lease again! You get nothing in return, except for another car payment at then end of term. This time around I wasn't going to lease. I looked at the MB C-Class, BMW 325i and Infiniti G35. I test drove them all and negotiated prices only to find that they weren't any good bargains. They didn't have the MB in the color I liked Orion Blue Metallic, and the BMW got way too pricey after the sports package and a few options. Finally the G35 was way over priced when compared to the TL.

So, my loyalty won over and I went back to Honda. I feel I bought the TL at a very good price, $30,300 @ Miami Acura. So far, the TL is running great, with just 700 miles on the odometer. I originally wanted to get the NBP with Black leather however, after test driving the car I realized that the Camel was the way to go. IMO, This is one of the nicest color combos, but I am a little bias.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to provide a little history of where I came from.

Lastly, if you all could provide some tips on what tints I should get. I've never owned a car with Tan interior and I don't know if I should go with a bronze tint (how would that look with NBP), or go with the standard smoked tint??

Again, thanks to all and Cheers.

Alex
Old 12-27-2004, 11:27 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Alex, Congrats on the ride and Welcome to the forum. First of all, I would check into 3G TL Garage for info frequently asked by a lot of people. Of course, there's a lot of info to digest and that would be a good start.

Your question regarding tints, well it's a matter of personal taste .... some like it dark (5%-20%) and some like it medium (35%-50%), others are satisfied with OEM. There are different varieties as well as manufacturers. They include dyed, metallic, and ceramic. You'll hear a lot about Lumar, Madico, Sungard, 3M, Huper Optik and Formula One and these are usually quality and performance tints. Here are some links to the comapanies.

Llumar Automotive Film
Madico
Solargard
Huper Optik
Formula One
Sun-Gard

Here are some links regarding tinting and you can also use the search feature.
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...?t=103316tp://
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99695

You didn't mention if you have Navi and that may be a factor in your decision regarding what tint to use. The manual says to use Ceramic. This has been debated as to whether or not it interferes with GPS signals.
Old 12-27-2004, 11:29 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
First, WELCOME to the board!

Second, I think either would look good. Did you get Navi? Personally, I would go with a metallized smoke 3M.
Old 12-27-2004, 11:41 AM
Instructor

No, unfortunatley I didn't get the Navi. I would have really liked too, but realistically I stretched just to get the TL.

Thanks for the replys and I look forward to browsing through the site.
Old 12-27-2004, 11:49 AM
Safety Car

Alex, I failed to notice your location .... FYI, a lot of folks from FLA are using 20% tints and probably darker and w/o Navi, you can use metallic tints.
Old 12-27-2004, 12:18 PM
Instructor

thanks again. I have a follow-up question. When I first saw the Camel interior, it looked like a lighter version of the baseball glove leather interior found in the 350z. I ran into one the other day, and that 350z interior is definetly much darker. Will a darker tint darken up the color of the Camel?

Also, how do you all feel about the stock tint found on the new MB's. It looks almost blue, do you like? Is there a similar tint available and how would it look?
Old 12-27-2004, 12:58 PM
Safety Car

IMO, a darker tint should darken your interior and give the impression it is darker. As far as the MB Blue Tint, I don't know if that color is availble. Here's a link to it MB Blue
Old 12-27-2004, 01:58 PM
VTEC HoooA

Welcome to the joy of Acura ownership. I too came from the Civic Si (direct trade for TL) and while that car was 'quick' all I can say is that there is no substitute for the 2 extra cylinders that the TL provides!! I do wish it had a bit more ooomph in the lower rpm range, but it is still one helluva fine sport/luxury car!

In regards to tint I went with 15% metallic all the way around on on my NBP/6spd/A-Spec and love it. It is not too dark (ala 5%) and is darker than 20% (which I had on my last car and never felt dark enough to me). There are some on the forums who have had issues with the Phone, Navi, and AM reception after metallic tint application, but I am happy to say I have not experienced any. One word to the wise though, look up Mole Skin here on the forums as the stock TL WILL scratch any tint you apply due to the design of the window seals.

Go with black tint, stay away from colors!!

Welcome to the forums and ENJOY your new car!
Old 12-27-2004, 03:15 PM
Instructor

thanks Nodoze!

Has anyone heard if Acura has fixed the problem with the window seals on the '05 models? My build date is 11/04, so I'm wondering if anyone knows if Acura has taken any action to correct this problem?

Thanks.
Old 12-27-2004, 04:15 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by FORSITE
thanks Nodoze!

Has anyone heard if Acura has fixed the problem with the window seals on the '05 models? My build date is 11/04, so I'm wondering if anyone knows if Acura has taken any action to correct this problem?

Thanks.
I am assuming you are referring to the felt lining on the inner wiper on the doors. The simple way to check this is to lower your window and feel/look for it. Use a flashlight and you should be able to tell the difference. Here's a link about Moleskin