3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Highway rear end....TL is totaled, it seems.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 11:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 228 Posts
Highway rear end....TL is totaled, it seems.

So this happened earlier tonight. Was going about my business about 65-68mph on the "slow lane" and I got rear ended, bad. Luckily I'm ok, I am home safe with a good swell forming on my chin and a few scrapes by my lip. I think the impact made my hand fly up and hit my face.

Spinning out from the impact and ended up two lanes over and stopped facing oncoming traffic, that was scary as hell. It could've ended ALOT worse. Shout out to the big rig driver who stopped and helped walk me over to the side and then pulled over to make sure I was ok until CHP arrived. Random stranger with nothing but concern for my well-being.

Neck is getting stiff though, adrenaline wearing off...

Never thought it would happen to me, especially in the "slow lane" and me going at an appropriate speed. Whoever the moron that hit me was, I really do hope they're ok, but I hope insurance screws them up the ass. Apparently CHP got a report of a vehicle speeding on the part of the highway I was at, so maybe it was that idiot.

Called insurance, and let my work know I'm not coming in tomorrow. Gotta go meet my doctor and hopefully I feel better in the morning. Car is being appraised on Tuesday. Until then I don't have a car, but can probably borrow a family member's car for a few days.

This sucks. I am just extremely grateful that I got out of there mostly unharmed and made it home to my family and able to let my friends know I'm ok. Be careful out there.

TL is totaled. Confirmation coming Tuesday....

The following users liked this post:
rockstar143 (11-01-2015)
Old 10-18-2015, 11:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,575 Likes on 6,626 Posts
Ouch!! Glad you're somewhat okay, please go checked out! Hit and run?!? Hope that fucker gets what he deserves! Please go get checked out ASAP and glad you have insurance. Good luck, feel better, and keep us updated!
Old 10-19-2015, 12:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by thoiboi
Ouch!! Glad you're somewhat okay, please go checked out! Hit and run?!? Hope that fucker gets what he deserves! Please go get checked out ASAP and glad you have insurance. Good luck, feel better, and keep us updated!
Their car was pretty smashed up too I think. They stopped and pulled over about 300-400yds away from where I was pulled to the side. Or at least where CHP pulled my car to the side.

I'll be seeing a doctor tomorrow for sure. Not even thinking about a newer car yet, but my TL was absolutely demolished on the rear. Tow truck guy said "for sure it's totaled, but hey you can look for another car!" Was a pretty fun ride back considering the circumstances.

Just glad to be home with family and was able to walk out of the accident. Scary as shit and didn't see it coming at all. Be careful and be aware of others everybody.
Old 10-19-2015, 07:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Damn man. Sorry to see that happen. At least you walked away which is good and glad you are following up with your doctor. Best of luck to you.
Old 10-19-2015, 07:25 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts
Best of luck and glad your ok. Definitely took quite a hit. The other car really must have been going fast since you were both travelling in the same direction when impacted
Old 10-19-2015, 07:32 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,019 Likes on 2,497 Posts
Glad you're OK, sorry about the TL. The car that hit you must have ben going pretty fast to cause that much damage.
Old 10-19-2015, 07:37 AM
Needs a 930

Received 759 Likes on 547 Posts
Wow, glad you're ok man. That must have been nuts at that speed.
Old 10-19-2015, 08:40 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 151 Posts
I can't believe the impact that you received doing 65mph. That's crazy.
Looks as if you were standing still...
That idiot must have been going dumb fast to do that much damage.
Glad your ok!!
Old 10-19-2015, 09:46 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Ouch. The TL did it's job, man. You walked away, which is all that matters.

As for the TL- you don't need to wait for confirmation. That thing is done. The frame is twisted beyond repair.

And since that is the case, are you going to entertain picking up another 3G? Anything else you'd like to get your hands on instead?
Old 10-19-2015, 10:09 AM
Three Wheelin'

Thanks everybody. Just woke up and don't feel any worse than I did yesterday, so that's a good sign I guess. I'm still going to the doc though.

As for a newer car, I entertained the idea of 3 potential ones: another 3g TL, a TLX, and a 2016 Accord.

I'm gonna check the safety ratings and all that of the other two but the TL did its job in protecting me enough to walk out. I'm so glad that the 3g TL was one of the higher safety rated cars.

But for now, just glad I got to wake up from my own bed. So many different things went through my head last night but I got a decent amount of sleep and feel the same as I did last night. So thinking about a car will come later in the week, especially after whatever I get back from insurance when its appraised Tuesday
Old 10-19-2015, 10:11 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
The one really good thing about the TLX is it's safety rating. I don't know how the Accord is, but if anything, it's likely right up there or not too far behind.
Old 10-19-2015, 10:28 AM
Registered Bunny

Received 1,073 Likes on 892 Posts
Originally Posted by dezymond
But for now, just glad I got to wake up from my own bed. So many different things went through my head last night
Your hand almost went through your head, yeah! Try not to punch yourself in the face too much in the future, and all jokes aside, get better. It sucks but the important part is that you're fine, the TL is just metal.
Old 10-19-2015, 10:39 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TacoBello
The one really good thing about the TLX is it's safety rating. I don't know how the Accord is, but if anything, it's likely right up there or not too far behind.
I imagine they could only get safer. Again, just very happy and relieved that the TL did its job.

Those are the 3 I have on my mind right now, well back of my mind. The new Accords look nice and their tech is amazing (I want Android Auto), but I'll be hitting dealerships soon I hope.

Maybe this could be the time for a TL Type S....

Originally Posted by polobunny
Your hand almost went through your head, yeah! Try not to punch yourself in the face too much in the future, and all jokes aside, get better. It sucks but the important part is that you're fine, the TL is just metal.
I'll try but I didn't see the first hit coming

TL can be replaced. I was able to make it home to my family, that's what counts
TacoBello (10-19-2015)
Old 10-19-2015, 10:49 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,158 Likes on 909 Posts
sorry to see that OP and glad to hear you're ok. the car must have been going ridiculously fast to have a relative speed that could do damage like that. did you see anything at all, such as him cut across lanes to go around you or were you braking, etc??
Old 10-19-2015, 10:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts
hope you are ok and get well soon
Old 10-19-2015, 11:51 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
Get well soon man...
Old 10-19-2015, 12:05 PM
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 581 Posts
Glad to hear you are ok.

Do the 2016 Accord. Thing is amazing.
Old 10-19-2015, 12:14 PM
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 95 Posts
Get well soon man! Sorry that happened, and I agree with others, that other guy must have been going really fast to do that type of damage.
Old 10-19-2015, 12:39 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
Sorry to hear buddy!
Hope recovery goes well.

The impact does look crazy for going that fast.

Did you brake while you were being hit to cause this much damage? If so, by simple physics that makes sense.
If not, then yeah he must have been going stupidly fast!

Last edited by guitarplayer16; 10-19-2015 at 12:41 PM.
Old 10-19-2015, 12:51 PM
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 116 Posts
Wow, sorry to hear about this man, get well soon! The damage is pretty damn significant, I wouldn't be surprised if it were written off.

I never understood how big of a moron you would have to be to rear-end a moving car, especially at that speed

TLX V6's are pretty sweet rides, they really grew on me. Accords are decent vehicles but I would only go V6. I4's have CVT's and with these new direct-injection engines apparently a good deal of cabin vibration. If you end up going 3G TL again, definitely go for the Type-S
Old 10-19-2015, 12:59 PM
Pro

Received 158 Likes on 90 Posts
Holy shit. You were traveling at 65 and that happened? Jeeeeeeeezuz
Old 10-19-2015, 01:00 PM
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 581 Posts
Originally Posted by mtiaz

I never understood how big of a moron you would have to be to rear-end a moving car, especially at that speed
Alcohol/drugs often plays a part

Originally Posted by mtiaz
Accords are decent vehicles but I would only go V6. I4's have CVT's and with these new direct-injection engines apparently a good deal of cabin vibration. If you end up going 3G TL again, definitely go for the Type-S
Manual trans ones are very decent drivers.
Old 10-19-2015, 01:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Doc says I'm OK, general soreness from whiplash and I'll probably feel it a bit more in the next day or two. Some ibuprofen and I'm good.

I'll entertain the idea of a new car later. Didn't get to recover all my things since the trunk lid was all twisted and couldn't be lifted up. Got a pretty expensive bowling ball in there too...
Old 10-19-2015, 02:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sockr1
sorry to see that OP and glad to hear you're ok. the car must have been going ridiculously fast to have a relative speed that could do damage like that. did you see anything at all, such as him cut across lanes to go around you or were you braking, etc??
Didn't see it coming. Didn't have my eyes on my rearview mirror, just in front of me.

Upon impact I did brake out of panic and I went over two lanes. Otherwise I was going roughly 67mph in my lane. Thankfully no one was around me and traffic behind me was pretty far behind. Whoever hit me ended up roughly 350yds further ahead and I don't get how because then damage my car got sorta tells me their vehicle couldn't be of operating use after impact.
Old 10-19-2015, 02:18 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
Upon impact I did brake out of panic and I went over two lanes.
braking probably had a toll on the damage

Last edited by guitarplayer16; 10-19-2015 at 02:24 PM.
Old 10-19-2015, 02:21 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
I know that strip of freeway...

Glad you're ok!
Old 10-19-2015, 02:49 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Damn bro

Glad you are ok man! That poor TL The other driver must have been going 120+MPH.

Anyway, don't assume you are injury free. I have a lingering neck issue caused by a rear end collision that I didn't even really have diagnosed until years after the accident that caused it. I would get checked out fully just to make sure your spine is ok after that kind of collision. Don't sign anything right away, the insurance company will try to get you to sign your rights away ASAP.

I would stick with Acura for sure. Stay away from the CVT as mentioned earlier, they are great for mileage but that's about it. Accords are nice but just not quite on the same level as the TL/TLX. Maybe you can find a nice 3G Type S with low mileage... or a new TL Type SH-AWD? There is really something to be said for AWD. I am starting to see more and more AWD vehicles on the market and the FWD on my TL would probably be my only complaint honestly.

Let us know what you pick!
Old 10-19-2015, 02:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by guitarplayer16
braking probably had a toll on the damage
Probably, but it was natural reaction. The car was already off my ass and still going forward for another 300-350yds on my right. He went up the small "divider" and stopped eventually that far away. I spun out over 2 lanes. But yeah, I felt impact, braked cause I was going out of control already and then I'm 2 lanes over. I'm just glad I didn't get knocked out or even dizzy from the impact.

Either way, it's the other idiot's fault. Totaled my car, ruined my night, ruined today having spent 2hrs in the ER waiting to be seen.
Old 10-19-2015, 02:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Clint08TLNAV
Glad you are ok man! That poor TL The other driver must have been going 120+MPH.

Anyway, don't assume you are injury free. I have a lingering neck issue caused by a rear end collision that I didn't even really have diagnosed until years after the accident that caused it. I would get checked out fully just to make sure your spine is ok after that kind of collision. Don't sign anything right away, the insurance company will try to get you to sign your rights away ASAP.

I would stick with Acura for sure. Stay away from the CVT as mentioned earlier, they are great for mileage but that's about it. Accords are nice but just not quite on the same level as the TL/TLX. Maybe you can find a nice 3G Type S with low mileage... or a new TL Type SH-AWD? There is really something to be said for AWD. I am starting to see more and more AWD vehicles on the market and the FWD on my TL would probably be my only complaint honestly.

Let us know what you pick!
Yup, doc says I just have a strained neck and contusion. I got off lucky, and that's all thanks to the TL (and no oncoming traffic hitting me).

I'm going to go test drive the new Accords, I have a good excuse now. I really like the updated styling and the technology. An Acura dealership is on my list too, I may just opt for the 4cyl TLX. I love the power the TL had, and I'm sure I would on the TLX, but it's alot more expensive....
Old 10-19-2015, 05:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Decided to have a little fun and build an Accord and TLX. Not too big of a price difference, but it's the features technology that would differ alot, and the Accord is definitely alot of car for the money.

Android Auto is something I'm looking to investing in eventually and for now only the Accord offers it....The TLX is pretty sweet though.

It would be a 4cyl model, I drive about 240-280mi each week because of work. My average of 24.5mpg with the TL wasn't too bad, but a 4cyl would make more sense. Power for mpg.....another tradeoff I must debate...
Old 10-19-2015, 05:20 PM
TL-S

Received 412 Likes on 365 Posts
Sorry to hear! Glad you're feeling okay. It looks and sounds like it could have ended a whole lot worse!

The new 2016 accord is beautiful IMO!
Old 10-19-2015, 10:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by quanaman
Sorry to hear! Glad you're feeling okay. It looks and sounds like it could have ended a whole lot worse!

The new 2016 accord is beautiful IMO!
I've seen a few on the road, but I will be stopping by the dealership some time to try it out. Considering I used to work at the local dealership I still get pretty good deals and always got my TL serviced there.

I love the looks of the TLX, but the technology of the Accord is superior. It's insane how much car one can get for that kinda money. Wonder if Acura is going to implement Android Auto/ Apple Car UI in the near future. If they did then I think I'd opt for the TLX for sure.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:08 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I got rear ended at a stop light by a Toyota Corolla I think. The other driver never saw me because he was messing with his phone so no brakes, I saw him about 15' off my bumper with three other people in the car, Oh shi-- Bam! My 06' died so I could get a 07'. Nobody seriously hurt.

Old 10-19-2015, 11:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

^Looks more like a Nissan, but yeah that'll total the TL. Glad no one in your car got hurt.
Old 10-20-2015, 12:48 AM
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 95 Posts
Totally random but, both the tail light and rear side marker light are still lit even after it was hit on that side, crazy. Shoot even the Lic plate lights too.

Maybe I am thinking too much into this, but I bet they stayed lit because they are LED's, regular bulbs would have gone out from the impact. In a random situation, could be a good thing because people could see the car easier and possibly not cause another impact.

Last edited by eastcoastguy; 10-20-2015 at 12:52 AM.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by eastcoastguy
Totally random but, both the tail light and rear side marker light are still lit even after it was hit on that side, crazy. Shoot even the Lic plate lights too.

Maybe I am thinking too much into this, but I bet they stayed lit because they are LED's, regular bulbs would have gone out from the impact. In a random situation, could be a good thing because people could see the car easier and possibly not cause another impact.

lay off the
Azonics (10-22-2015)
Old 10-20-2015, 09:30 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by eastcoastguy

Maybe, but yeah I left them on to make my car more visible.

Just got those license plate lights a few weeks back too. Was a gift....
Old 10-20-2015, 09:38 AM
Senior Moderator

Maybe, but yeah I left them on to make my car more visible.

Just got those license plate lights a few weeks back too. Was a gift....
You should be able to take them... albeit with some extra effort at the pound before they get rid of it. just tell insurance company since they won't reimburse you for some of those little things.
Old 10-20-2015, 10:50 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,094 Likes on 749 Posts
Dang glad you're safe, thats most important.

Sucks to hear about all these rear ends. Maybe time to get a dash cam for the rear window as well and to grow a pair of eyes on back of my head!

Personally I'd go for a TL-S if my baby was gone but that's just me. The new cars are alright but my frugal mind its hard to justify the high expense of new car.
Old 10-20-2015, 01:25 PM
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
I'm glad your are ok! that's the most important part. Sorry to hear about your TL,

Winter is coming to Chicago, we will see how these idiots will drive here in IL this year... I put lots of money and effort in to my TL hope no-one will hit it..!

Hope your recovery is nice and smooth!

Quick Reply: Highway rear end....TL is totaled, it seems.