3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is High-Temp Paint necessary to do engine covers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 10:11 PM
S.3.A

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Is High-Temp Paint necessary to do engine covers?

I was planning to paint my engine covers and I saw the Krylon Fusion spraypaint at Wal-Mart advertised to adhere to plastic with no primer needed. However, I'm not sure what it's heat rating is as it doesn't say. Do I need to use a High-Temp paint to do the covers? I tried to find out through the other threads about painting engine covers and I see that most that state the type of paint they used did use high-temp engine paint. But is it necessary? I've had a tough time trying to find Orange High-Temp paint around me. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:26 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
Think about it.

Engine = creates heat = can paint last with all the high heat? = high temp paint

Would you use the paint you'd use indoors for a house for a engine cover?
The following users liked this post:
Undying Dreams (08-11-2012)
Old 08-09-2012, 10:48 PM
S.3.A

Touché... Forgive me, I have not had to paint anything in my life so I'm not that knowledgable... So how should I go about using engine paint on the plastic covers? I've sort of researched it. If anybody has tips for any of the steps in the procedure I'd appreciate it.

-Clean (soap, hot water, brakleen?)
-Sand (300 then 600 grit?)
-Prime
-Base Coat
-Clear coat

Is that correct?
Old 08-09-2012, 10:49 PM
Chapter Leader (Midwest Region)

Received 784 Likes on 558 Posts
You don't need to use "high temp paint". It is preferred but not necessary. You can use Krylon Fusion if you wanted to. Plastic starts to melt at about 200-220, just get something that is rated to those temps. I have seen people use color matched paint from their cars color.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:54 PM
S.3.A

Originally Posted by McCollins23
You don't need to use "high temp paint". It is preferred but not necessary. You can use Krylon Fusion if you wanted to. Plastic starts to melt at about 200-220, just get something that is rated to those temps. I have seen people use color matched paint from their cars color.
I have seen that as well. I tried to find out the heat rating for the Krylon Fusion but the can doesn't state it and I tried looking online to no avail. If anyone on here has used the Krylon Fusion, inpu would be much appreciated.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:55 PM
Chapter Leader (Midwest Region)

Received 784 Likes on 558 Posts
Look up the MSDS on the product. That is public info.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:02 PM
-Brandon

Received 221 Likes on 172 Posts
From what I understand, Engine Paint is the best for covers along with a high-heat primer to get a deep gloss. It will give you peace of mind since you know it can withstand the heat. Plus, I don't think sanding down the covers is necessary. Maybe someone else can chime in on that one.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:19 AM
Wiggy Wiggy Wiggy

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
You don't need specific engine paint, its plastic. Just don't use cheap paint and the prepping must be thorough. Automotive 2 stage paint with a 2 part clear would be ideal. These covers are textured too. The texture will have a slight dulling effect on the gloss or luster, if you just prep and paint. To get a high gloss finish you'd have to apply high build primer and sand the covers smooth. A 'smooth as glass' high gloss finish could be a PITA to maintain under the hood.

I used Satin Black Krylon Fusion on my ATLP & TL-S exhaust tips and its held up fine for years.
The following users liked this post:
dubxrossd11 (08-10-2012)
Old 08-10-2012, 11:55 PM
Slot Machine Lubricator

Received 404 Likes on 316 Posts
In this picture the center cover was lightly sanded prior to priming. Then is was painted and finished with a light coat of clear coat gloss. You can see the difference in person.
The surrounding pieces are scum IMO and I'm going to redo them.
I did this for a comparison, and the clear coat makes a noticeable difference.
Name:  IMG_06781.jpg
Views: 15762
Size:  98.9 KB
Old 08-11-2012, 07:29 AM
My first ricer

Received 256 Likes on 211 Posts
I've seen Krylon Fusion used on radiator overflow bottles and it holds up for years, the plastics don't get as hot as the engine but at 200ish degrees underhood that's not crazy hot, it wouldn't hurt to go high temp but it's not like you're painting headers and it's gonna burn right off.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:26 AM
:what:

Received 348 Likes on 249 Posts
The panels you are painting are PLASTIC. PLASTIC itself cannot take high heat. High temp paint is totally not necessary.

I myself being an ex paint and body man that still does a ton of paint work as a hobby would NEVER put anything from a rattle can on my car or a customers car ever. I only use high quality paint and body materials. NOTHING matches the gloss and hold up of it. You will never get a quality exterior grade gloss shine out of a rattle can. You can buy the paint at your local body shop supplier/jobber in small quantities. The jobbers also sell refillable aerosol type cans that these paints can be sprayed with so that you don't have to buy expensive equipment.

Just remember, if you use these paints:

1. Wear a respirator. This is bad stuff.. (gloves are recommended also).

2. The two part Urethane single stage and clears are a chemical reaction dry...not air. Once you mix it the reaction starts, so you only have an limited amount of time to spray the product. So follow the directions on the can. Heat speeds up the chemical reaction, so keep that in mind if you are in a hot environment. Cold slows it down, so you can put your mixed paint in the fridge (not freezer) and it will keep for a day or two.

3. Have lacquer thinner on hand to clean up spills, messes, and equipment.

4. You will also need a flex additive, and an adhesion promoter. The adhesion promoter sprays directly on the panel after cleaning/sanding to ensure the primer will adhere. The flex additive gets mixed into the primer and paint to make it more flexible. Bulldog (by kleen strip) makes a dual purpose flex additive and adhesion promoter that works very well. Just follow instructions on the can.

I do this stuff all the time and have all the high dollar equipment. I would be willing to paint these professionally with an EXACT match or preferred custom color for a fee. PM me for pricing and details. My prices will be significantly lower than a body shop since I do this from my home shop and don't have the overhead of a full shop. Just ship me your parts. If you have a pearl paint, send me your fuel door or another painted panel so I can spray test panels to match and ensure I spray enough or not too much pearl. I use high quality Dupont, Valspar, and PPG materials that last! If you already have rattle can paint on these panels, don't waste my time untill they are stripped. You cannot spray true enamel or urethane over that crap. It will wrinkle up and look terrible.

If you have any questions or need tips to doing it yourself just ask. Its very rewarding to be able to say...."Yup, I did that myself."
Old 08-11-2012, 08:33 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
just use high temp paint to be on the safe side.
Old 11-11-2014, 03:27 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wacker
The panels you are painting are PLASTIC. PLASTIC itself cannot take high heat. High temp paint is totally not necessary.

I myself being an ex paint and body man that still does a ton of paint work as a hobby would NEVER put anything from a rattle can on my car or a customers car ever. I only use high quality paint and body materials. NOTHING matches the gloss and hold up of it. You will never get a quality exterior grade gloss shine out of a rattle can. You can buy the paint at your local body shop supplier/jobber in small quantities. The jobbers also sell refillable aerosol type cans that these paints can be sprayed with so that you don't have to buy expensive equipment.

2. The two part Urethane single stage and clears are a chemical reaction dry...not air. Once you mix it the reaction starts, so you only have an limited amount of time to spray the product. So follow the directions on the can. Heat speeds up the chemical reaction, so keep that in mind if you are in a hot environment. Cold slows it down, so you can put your mixed paint in the fridge (not freezer) and it will keep for a day or two.

4. You will also need a flex additive, and an adhesion promoter. The adhesion promoter sprays directly on the panel after cleaning/sanding to ensure the primer will adhere. The flex additive gets mixed into the primer and paint to make it more flexible. Bulldog (by kleen strip) makes a dual purpose flex additive and adhesion promoter that works very well. Just follow instructions on the can.

I do this stuff all the time and have all the high dollar equipment. I would be willing to paint these professionally with an EXACT match or preferred custom color for a fee. PM me for pricing and details. My prices will be significantly lower than a body shop since I do this from my home shop and don't have the overhead of a full shop. Just ship me your parts. If you have a pearl paint, send me your fuel door or another painted panel so I can spray test panels to match and ensure I spray enough or not too much pearl. I use high quality Dupont, Valspar, and PPG materials that last! If you already have rattle can paint on these panels, don't waste my time untill they are stripped. You cannot spray true enamel or urethane over that crap. It will wrinkle up and look terrible.

If you have any questions or need tips to doing it yourself just ask. Its very rewarding to be able to say...."Yup, I did that myself."
You still doin that? Where i can send it to you and you'll paint it? Can I get a quote?
Old 11-11-2014, 04:41 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
wacker does a good job!
Old 11-11-2014, 12:09 PM
Jeff

Received 815 Likes on 726 Posts
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...19cf4e6b61.jpg

Cleaned them up real good, sanded, primed em up, hung them up and sprayed them , can't remember how many coats. 2-3. then just loaded the clear coat on lol
Old 11-11-2014, 12:15 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
I painted my valve covers with high heat primer, then duplicolor perfect match, then high heat clear.

Holds up nice.
Old 08-21-2017, 01:30 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lotus Elise covers

I have a 2005 Lotus Elise and want engine covers painted caliper red with black lettering.
what would you charge?