3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help....my sunroof shattered!!

Old 09-07-2004, 10:32 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help....my sunroof shattered!!

I was driving yesterday on the highway and ALL OF A SUDDEN, I hear this loud thump that startled me. Not knowing what the **** it was, I look around the back seat to see if I noticed anything. At first, I thought it was my headliner falling, but as I closed both side windows, I noticed the sound of small particles above my head. So I slowly opened the sunshade and right away I could see that the sunroof was cracked and shattered like a million pieces but still held together. When I get to a point where I could pull over to a side road safely, I go out to survey the exterior of the car, and .

My sunroof was shattered and in the middle was a 4"x12" hole. To this point, I cannot identify what happened, whether it was a rock, someone threw something out their car window, someone throwing rocks on the highway, or a defective sunroof glass that buckled under pressure. I called state police and they said there was not any suspicious activity in that area at that time, but I did notice a state trooper with sirens on the side of the road just before all of this happened. Luckily the sunshade was closed!

Has anyone ever had something like this happened? If so, can you share your experience so that I can have a good idea on how to proceed with Acura. I took it into service this morning and they would take a look at it to replace, but I'm not sure if Acura will charge me for it, or will say it was a defective sunroof. I'm hoping the later.
Old 09-07-2004, 11:37 AM
Burning Brakes

I had this happen on my windshield. Just driving along an BAM!!!

Good thing it didn't cause a serious accident.

Insurance should cover it. You have a hole so that really sounds like some kind of projectile.
Old 09-07-2004, 12:33 PM
Desi Pride

I feel for you. Insurance should cover it, so don't worry too much. Try a getting the OEM Sunroof Visor to deflect projectile and other objects. Let us know the out come.
Old 09-07-2004, 01:39 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's what comprehensive insurance is for - sounds like a meteorite to me - you might want to check with NASA too - perhaps space junk!
The following users liked this post:
Acura TL Builder (02-26-2020)
Old 09-07-2004, 03:11 PM
Cruisin'

The same thing happened to me while I was driving my old Audi A4. In my case, it was clearly a rock, since I found rock debris on my trunk lid. Since I was driving on the freeway, someone probably threw the rock from an overpass. Insurance classified it as "vandalism", so it was covered under the comprehensive coverage. I took it to a body shop and they installed a new OEM sunroof.
Old 09-07-2004, 07:57 PM
Does anyone read this

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Had a friends front passenger window shatter for no reason. Tempered glass will some times just crack like that if the cooling process when making isn’t just right.
Old 09-07-2004, 08:14 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Assuming it was a projectile, be happy it was glass and not bodywork. The sunroof glass really shouldn't be under a lot of stress (unlike the windshield can be), so probably didn't break all by itself, but who knows. Acura will probably not replace it under warranty unless they know of a history if this happening, and since you appear to be the first to report it.....
Your comprehensive insurance would cover it, but there's that deductible to consider. The cost might even be lower than your deductible.

Be sure to report how this turns out!
Old 09-07-2004, 10:47 PM
mio
Police

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
maybe ur stereo is too loud~~~ or ... Aerolite =0
Old 09-07-2004, 11:00 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Tedanddenise
That's what comprehensive insurance is for - sounds like a meteorite to me - you might want to check with NASA too - perhaps space junk!
Or another urban legend.....frozen waste from an overhead jumbo jet.
Old 09-07-2004, 11:20 PM
Racer

sorry to sound rude...but pics? i'm just curious to see what it looks like.
Old 09-08-2004, 10:04 AM
Instructor

That's not just an urban legend Brokedoc. I had a piece go through the roof of my house in the late eighties! Sounded like a bomb hit.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:08 PM
Instructor

I think we'll never find out the actual cause. Like stated above by another member, Acura will not cover this under warranty, so it will be taken care of by comprehensive insurance with a deductible. Cost for dealer to replace will be $800+ , but I will only pay $250 from comprehensive deductible. Fortunately, I also have the car in to fix the gaps in the bodykit, so I'm in loaner for about a week.

Donkeykang.......sorry I did not take pics even though I knew someone would ask. You don't want to see it, it's very painful!
Old 09-08-2004, 12:09 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by DaveK
That's not just an urban legend Brokedoc. I had a piece go through the roof of my house in the late eighties! Sounded like a bomb hit.
I hope you got it outside before it melted.
Old 09-08-2004, 10:15 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
Originally Posted by timnguyen9
Cost for dealer to replace will be $800+ , but I will only pay $250 from comprehensive deductible.
Won't your insurance cover this is full? In MA, there is no deductible for glass, but maybe the sunroof although glass isn't covered
Old 09-09-2004, 02:04 PM
Instructor

Unfortunately in Virginia, these claims requires paying deductible. Maybe I should think about moving?
Old 09-09-2004, 02:11 PM
Advanced

Unfortunately in Virginia, these claims requires paying deductible. Maybe I should think about moving?
Yeah, I moved down here from Woodbridge, VA. I know way too much about the stupid deductibles.
Old 09-10-2004, 03:13 PM
Instructor

Ok, I got the car back and the sunroof is looking like new again. When I get back to work and get out of the car to inspect, I noticed they put scratches (very noticeable) on the passenger door and on top of the A-pillar!

I guess I already know the answer to the question I'm going to ask. And that is to take it back AGAIN What can the dealership do to remove these? Will they polish and wax it for me, and will that help? Anyone with input on your own experience with the dealer would be appreciated.

Man....I'm tired of these dealers. They fix one thing and then screw something else up. This is wasting a lot of my time!
Old 09-10-2004, 06:32 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Take it back. They have an obligation to return the car to you in the same condition you gave it to them!
Old 12-29-2004, 12:16 AM
10th Gear

Mine just shattered too on the Highway!!

My sunroof was shattered and in the middle was a 4"x12" hole.
Same thing just happened to me. I was driving home to Saskatoon from Calgary (6 hour drive) when my sunroof shattered half way through the trip!!!

It was a really loud POP!!! I drive with my shade open, so some of the glass fell inside the car, but I was able to close the shade quickly enough so no more got in. Since it's winter here it was a bit of a chilly drive the rest of the way.

Initially I thought it was a rock, but there were no cars infront of me for several hundred meters.

I called the local Acura dealer here from the highway, they didn't seem to have many questions and knew what part to order as soon as I told them the model and year. This makes me wonder if there is something they know about defective installs or glass.

As as side note a doctor friend of mine had the same thing happen to his Audi. I guess they had installed the sunroof too tight at the factory which caused pressure on the glass and hence the shatter.

I am definitely going to press for Warranty work on this. With no cars near me and in the middle of the country side there is no possible way this was vandalism.

Anyone else experience this??
Old 12-29-2004, 04:40 AM
mio
Police

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cdavec
Same thing just happened to me. I was driving home to Saskatoon from Calgary (6 hour drive) when my sunroof shattered half way through the trip!!!

It was a really loud POP!!! I drive with my shade open, so some of the glass fell inside the car, but I was able to close the shade quickly enough so no more got in. Since it's winter here it was a bit of a chilly drive the rest of the way.

Initially I thought it was a rock, but there were no cars infront of me for several hundred meters.

I called the local Acura dealer here from the highway, they didn't seem to have many questions and knew what part to order as soon as I told them the model and year. This makes me wonder if there is something they know about defective installs or glass.

As as side note a doctor friend of mine had the same thing happen to his Audi. I guess they had installed the sunroof too tight at the factory which caused pressure on the glass and hence the shatter.

I am definitely going to press for Warranty work on this. With no cars near me and in the middle of the country side there is no possible way this was vandalism.

Anyone else experience this??
That sux...

btw: how long for your warranty??? 1 yr? 2 yr?
Old 12-20-2019, 06:59 PM
1st Gear

This happened to me couple of days ago. It was a large BOOM! But I’m sure snow debris from the truck in front of me caused this! SMH

Old 12-21-2019, 08:51 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 645 Likes on 347 Posts
Originally Posted by Sylhetyy
This happened to me couple of days ago. It was a large BOOM! But I’m sure snow debris from the truck in front of me caused this! SMH

Looks like a signal for Batman lol
The following 2 users liked this post by GhostTL09:
Sylhetyy (12-21-2019), thoiboi (12-23-2019)
Old 12-21-2019, 06:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Ouch! Hopefully a replacement isn't that expensive!
Old 12-21-2019, 09:07 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Comprehensive or glass coverage (depending in insurance policy) should cover the replacement of the sunroof.
Old 02-26-2020, 04:14 PM
1st Gear

So stupid question. Let me preface that with the same thing happened to me last night on the interstate- where something flew off a flatbed truck ahead of me and hit my sunroof perfectly. Shattered it. My wife thought it would be a great idea to go with a higher deductible on our auto insurance. to replace my glass would cost me a whopping $1000.00. I'm thinking about attempting this on my own. HOWEVER- this is one of those things that there's not a lot of info on out there. I did see a youtube vid on a guy who did one on a 2016 Honda Civic, and wasn't sure how different it would be for my TSX. DO any of you guys have any experience with this? Thanks in advance!
Old 02-29-2020, 02:34 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
I have worked in the sunroof industry for over 20 years, its super easy to replace the sunroof glass. There are 4 T25 torx screws that hold the glass in, you need to make sure you clean all the class out of the tracks so you do not damage the sunroof tracks. If you have any questions or need some guidance in removing the glass PM me and I can walk you through it. id source a glass from a junk yard for about $100-$150
The following users liked this post:
sweeT n Lo (03-01-2020)