Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this a good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 09:16 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this a good deal?

I am looking to buy a used acura tl and so far I've am kinda interested in this one 2006 I would show you pictures but the dealer hasn't uploaded any. It is gray with black interior has navigation and 83,000 miles. He is asking $12,000 but he said he might be able to go down to $11,500. It has a clean carfax with no accidents and 3 previous owners. I went to look at it and it seems to be in good condition. There was a ABS light and tire pressure light that were on but he said they will replace the tire sensors and fix everything. By looking at the carfax I also saw that a few years ago the air pressure sensor, radio, and navigation have been replaced I dont know if that's a good thing. Please let me know what you guys think and if there is anything specific that i need to be looking for in an acura or any question I should ask the dealer. Thank you.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:31 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd personally buy from private party or even a board member. Dealers have one goal in mind and thats to make money and they'll do anything and everything to make as much as possible during the deal.

As for the price, do market research in your area and compare prices.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:41 PM
8th Gear

I didn't know if I should trust private parties because I was afraid they might be trying to sell it because it has problems that I am not going to see. I was looking at another one which was from a private party black with black interior inspected recently had a cracked bumper and he said he hasn't serviced the brakes in a long time. Navigation 2 previous owners no accidents 83k miles. He said the lowest he would take is $10,000.. Idk I'm not sure which one I should go with. I don't really have much of a choice around here theres probably not more than 5 acuras within 100 miles of me that are between 2006-2008 and most of them are either salvage title or have accidents or no navigation.
Old 06-22-2014, 11:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 228 Posts
Originally Posted by koliream
I didn't know if I should trust private parties because I was afraid they might be trying to sell it because it has problems that I am not going to see. I was looking at another one which was from a private party black with black interior inspected recently had a cracked bumper and he said he hasn't serviced the brakes in a long time. Navigation 2 previous owners no accidents 83k miles. He said the lowest he would take is $10,000.. Idk I'm not sure which one I should go with. I don't really have much of a choice around here theres probably not more than 5 acuras within 100 miles of me that are between 2006-2008 and most of them are either salvage title or have accidents or no navigation.
Coming someone who has worked at a dealer, dealers can be just as shady, sometimes more, than a private party. An honest private party seller will let you take the vehicle in to your mechanic of choice to get it inspected before a sale.

While I was still working there a former employee bought a car while she was still working there. 2wks later she was let go and then came back for service on the vehicle because a CEL came on. Turned out to be a pretty major problem and the used car manager wouldn't cut her any slack saying "you signed the contract" crap. So yes it had it's 150pt inspection, but that's it.

Besides 3 previous owners, that's like buying from a private dealer, but you have to pay dealership fees and go through their bs. Dealer won't mind going down to $11,500 because OTD you'll be paying much more than that price.

Last edited by dezymond; 06-22-2014 at 11:19 PM.
Old 06-22-2014, 11:25 PM
8th Gear

Yeah I know 3 owners is not too good but the price is not bad that's why I'm considering it. And it seems like it's actually in better condition than the other one like the interior and the leather and everything. The one at the dealership was a trade in and they don't sell acuras there so that's why it's a little bit cheaper than other dealers. The private party told me I could take it to the dealership for a pre purchase inspection. When I asked the dealer he said they don't do that but then I told him that I'm not sure I wanna buy it if I can't take it to my mechanic so he said he would let me. I don't know which one would be better they are both 2006 btw.
Old 06-22-2014, 11:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 228 Posts
Originally Posted by koliream
Yeah I know 3 owners is not too good but the price is not bad that's why I'm considering it. And it seems like it's actually in better condition than the other one like the interior and the leather and everything. The one at the dealership was a trade in and they don't sell acuras there so that's why it's a little bit cheaper than other dealers. The private party told me I could take it to the dealership for a pre purchase inspection. When I asked the dealer he said they don't do that but then I told him that I'm not sure I wanna buy it if I can't take it to my mechanic so he said he would let me. I don't know which one would be better they are both 2006 btw.
Acura or Honda will do an inspection. I've seen it done, I've had it done, and the dealer would be stupid to not do so especially since they make money on it. If it was just an adviser who told you that, he's bs'ing you, talk to the manager and they'll do it. When I was working at the dealer I did it many times for potential used car purchases.

For me, the idea of 3 previous owners is a bit too much. I passed over a few TLs before getting my 1 original owner TL, and the lady was very honest with me about everything. Heck, she even sent me the tutorial DVD two weeks after I purchased the car off of her.

Don't mind used cars, but the less its used the better imo.
Old 06-22-2014, 11:39 PM
8th Gear

Sorry I don't think I was clear I'm buying it from a ford dealership and I asked the dealer if I could take it to my own mechanic but he said they don't let customers take it to their own mechanics because they have good mechanics there that will take care of everything. And yeah I agree about the owners part but I think it also depends a lot on how they have been driving it and maintaining it.
Old 06-22-2014, 11:50 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I wouldnt worry so much about a private seller wanting to get rid of their headache. This is an acura after all, VERY reliable. When I sell cars, I encourage my buyers to have them inspected for simple piece of mind on their part.
Old 06-22-2014, 11:58 PM
8th Gear

Yeah I guess you're right he also said he would let me take it for an inspection. But it was in worse shape than the one from the dealer. First the bumper was cracked then on the inside it showed more wear it was dirty it didn't look like he ever cleaned it and under the hood it was dirty too. I know I can clean it it just doesn't show he was taking very good care of it. But then again it's $1,500 cheaper than the dealer. I don't know it's hard to decide and I need a car soon otherwise I would wait longer to find a better one.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:06 AM
8th Gear

Oh and by the way I know this has nothing to do with this topic but I found out something interesting last week when I was playing around with carfax. I realized that a lot of times they fail to report the correct number of owners on a car. 3 years ago I bought a car from a private party then last year I sold it and I somehow still have the vin number from the car and I just ran a carfax report last week and it still says 1 owner.. Whenever someone new registers it in their name carfax just shows as the first owner just renewed their registration.. Just something I thought id share with you guys so you know that you can't always trust carfax