Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

G-058: Removing center console bulb and license plate bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 04:20 PM
one -n- only

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G-058: Removing center console bulb and license plate bulbs

Dont wanna mess anything up.. so does anyone know how to remove the center console bulb??.. also the license plate bulbs.. which i would probably have to go through the trunk to do so.
Old 01-03-2005, 04:25 PM
Spinnin them beats

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
i wouldnt no... srry!!! all i no is that there r no screws on the light housing..... what r u planning 2 do???
Old 01-03-2005, 04:32 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by infamous
Dont wanna mess anything up.. so does anyone know how to remove the center console bulb??.. also the license plate bulbs.. which i would probably have to go through the trunk to do so.
This has been asked and answered - search on topic on my post - it is best to go through the trunk lid to get at the license plate lights.
Old 01-03-2005, 05:02 PM
one -n- only

tried a search couldn't find anything.. im trying to replace the bulbs with leds
Old 01-03-2005, 05:07 PM
Team Nighthawk Director

Which center counsel bulbs are you pertaining too?
Old 01-03-2005, 05:14 PM
10th Gear

Center Console

Center console bulb is bery hard to change.

I cant remember how i did it but I did mess it up a little don't force anything. Once you get it out it is hard to get back in.

I changed the overhead, door, and rear overheads very easily but the glove box and the center console were tricky. I ended up not doing the glove box. If i had to do it over i would probbaly leave the center console alone it was not worth the work.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:23 PM
TLover

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what about the trunk bulb?
Old 01-04-2005, 07:48 AM
Administrator

Received 1,002 Likes on 572 Posts
Center console bulb: The service manual says to remove the center console to change the bulb. It also says if you are only changing the lens, you don't have to remove the console. So it appears from this that the bulb is hard to get at without removing the console.

Trunk bulb: The service manual says to carefully pry out the trunk light. Doesn't give any specific information how to do this.
Old 01-04-2005, 12:04 PM
TLover

Originally Posted by Ron A
Center console bulb: The service manual says to remove the center console to change the bulb. It also says if you are only changing the lens, you don't have to remove the console. So it appears from this that the bulb is hard to get at without removing the console.

Trunk bulb: The service manual says to carefully pry out the trunk light. Doesn't give any specific information how to do this.

thanx for the info about the trunk light. but how do u get the lens off first? i tried to pop it out with a knife, but i dont want to break the lens. thanx for the help.
The following users liked this post:
Shawn's Acura (05-17-2013)
Old 01-04-2005, 07:48 PM
Administrator

Received 1,002 Likes on 572 Posts
Originally Posted by TLXLR8S
thanx for the info about the trunk light. but how do u get the lens off first? i tried to pop it out with a knife, but i dont want to break the lens. thanx for the help.
It's all one piece, not a lens. It is like a box with a bulb in it. As I said, all the service manual says is to carefully pry it out. They don't show any tools or any place to pry, so I guess anyplace will do, as long as you do it carefully.
Old 01-04-2005, 11:59 PM
TLover

It's all one piece, not a lens. It is like a box with a bulb in it. As I said, all the service manual says is to carefully pry it out. They don't show any tools or any place to pry, so I guess anyplace will do, as long as you do it carefully.
thanx for ur help
Old 01-05-2005, 12:41 AM
Instructor

The center console/glovebox light is very easy to take out. You can simply pop out the white plastic piece which is part of an entire housing. Grab the base of the housing (where the wires run in) and twist off the white circular piece/black housing as one unit. Ta da.

Old 01-05-2005, 05:09 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by infamous
tried a search couldn't find anything.. im trying to replace the bulbs with leds
You must be kidding......I searched on "license plate bulbs" and got this, #6 down:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ht=RR+Journals
Old 01-05-2005, 05:30 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
so whats the census? is it EASY or is it HARD?
Old 02-16-2005, 11:40 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Yauser
The center console/glovebox light is very easy to take out. You can simply pop out the white plastic piece which is part of an entire housing. Grab the base of the housing (where the wires run in) and twist off the white circular piece/black housing as one unit. Ta da.
OK, I did the doors and domes in about 5 minutes, then stared at the center console for over an hour without ever getting anywhere. I got the light base and white lense out of the console--there is only about 1/4-inch of play in the wiring. I can't figure out where to go next without breaking anything.

Do you hold the white lense and hold the black base separately and then twist the two in opposite directiions? What are the best tools to use? Looks like there are "stops" molded into the plastic to prevent this.

Secondly, how do you reassemble the black base and white lense?

I'm replacing with a blue LED--wish the lense was clear. What does the blue look like shining through the ivory lense?

Thanks for any and all replies
Old 02-17-2005, 12:16 AM
Cruisin'

I dont think its worth the time to change out the center console light. Popping the lens off was pretty easy. I used a butter knife and just slowly pried at the edges till the whole unit popped out. The tricky part was trading out the bulbs and getting it back in. The reason was because the wire to the bulb was super short so it did not allow me to pull it out of the console very far. It may have just been my car but if its the same for yours, its probably not worth it. There is no way I am even going to attempt the glove box.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:13 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I switched out the OEM bulbs for the Blue LEDs already. I like them. But I decided not to pursue the console and glove box lights as they seem too complicated to access.

I did get the console light socket outof the hole, but yes, the wire is very short. Then the ivory lense kept falling off after I tried to refit the socket back into the hole. Next, the socket kept falling into the console cavity and the wiring began to interfere with the opening of the cup holder cover. So I fished out the socket (using a hooked coat hanger wire), glued the lense cover onto it. After it dried, I popped the socket back into the hole (while the cup holder door was open / retracted). It is back as before, and the cup holder door slides open freely. No need for the Blue buld in there I decided!

But I do like the Blue LED on in the interior overheads and the doors.
Old 02-26-2006, 11:11 AM
4th Gear

Some please post pics up of the center console in question. Is it the peice that includes the homelink and map lights. Also, is the 1 Single LED Glove Box Light & 1 Single LED Center Console Light the 2 lights that fire down towards the shifter when the headlights are on? Thanks.
Old 02-26-2006, 02:50 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by nd2spd
Some please post pics up of the center console in question. Is it the peice that includes the homelink and map lights. Also, is the 1 Single LED Glove Box Light & 1 Single LED Center Console Light the 2 lights that fire down towards the shifter when the headlights are on? Thanks.
I'm pretty sure they're talking about inside the center armrest bin.
Old 02-26-2006, 07:58 PM
4th Gear

ttt, I am still assuming it's the console that houses the map lights and homelink unit.......anyone else please clarify for me thanks!
Old 02-28-2006, 01:22 PM
Advanced

Center Console LED Change

The center console light is the one inside the compartment under the arm rest in your console. At the fronnt of the compartment is a small off-white circle about the size of a half-dollar coin that lights up when you open the console compartment, but only if you have the parking or headlights on.

You can change out the bulb by using your finger nails to pull the little white circle out of the compartment wall. The entire light assembly (dark brown base and white lens/enclosure) will come out easily.

There is very little excess wire harness to this light so it makes it hard to make the bulb change. Once you get the light assembly out, the white lens/enclosure will come off of the base with an eight of a turn counter clockwise. The wedge type bulb is mounted in the base and pulls out. You will need a single LED buld to replace it.

WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T LET GO OF THE BASE. IF YOU DROP IT BACK INTO THE HOLE IT CAME OUT OF, YOU WILL HAVE A HARD TIME GETTING IT BACK OUT. I TIED A LONG PIECE OF STRING TO THE WIRE HARNESS BEFORE I TOOK THE WHITE LENS OFF JUST IN CASE I DROPPED THE BASE BACK IN THE HOLE.

After you replace the bulb, you put the white lens back over the base and turn it clockwise to get it to lock back on. This is no easy task as you have a hard time grabbing the base with so little wire harness to work with, but it can be done.

Once you have the lens back on, you just push it back in the hole.

The glove box light is the exact same assembly. It's tucked in the upper right corner of the glove box opening.

Good luck.
jabia (04-23-2023)
Old 02-28-2006, 10:33 PM
4th Gear

"sqzbox" Thanks so much for taking the time to explain this.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:46 PM
Looking for new mods

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
I was able to get it out by inserting a Flat head screw driver through the hole use for that lactch to lock. I pressed it against the opening and pulled it out with pliers. I broke the white lens off thought....looking for the part number to get it....any help
Old 05-31-2008, 11:31 PM
EVNS TL

anyone know the type of the tiny center console light bulb?
Old 11-22-2008, 10:52 AM
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Semi-resurrection....

Whats the bulb sizes for the glove box and center console? tried looking for the 3G garage post that stated all the sizes, but cant find it (not the "definitive LED..." posting, theres another one).
Old 11-22-2008, 11:26 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fulani has a TL
Semi-resurrection....

Whats the bulb sizes for the glove box and center console? tried looking for the 3G garage post that stated all the sizes, but cant find it (not the "definitive LED..." posting, theres another one).
those bulbs are #74. i replaced mine with the 74-WHP from http://superbrightleds.com/mini-wedge.html

i would recommend AGAINST doing that... those leds dont really fit in the housing (too long). the bulb goes into the housing at from the side and a slight angle, and the led is too long, so it pushes the single led on the end up against the edge of the housing, blocking most of the light. i kinda forced the lights into the housing so i dont know how long it'll last and the light comes out from just one spot so it doesnt look very good or spread very evenly.

as others said earlier, you dont need to take the console apart to get to the light, but theres very little slack on the wires so you need little fingers and hope not to drop the bulbs into the console hole. the glove box has more slack and so is easier.

just a note, the bulb housing just pulls straight out, but the lens cover and the black box attached to it ARE A SINGLE PIECE. they just look snapped together, but they're also permanently glued. just rotate the bulb to get it out of the black box housing.

a 90degree led thats short would work the best. 18.2mm overall bulb length is just barely too long, but can be forced to work. their 74-xHP3 leds look shorter, but might be too bright... remember, these bulbs are constanly on when the lights are on; theyre still on when the console lid or glove box are closed, so you might spill some light out of the cracks if its too bright.

good luck.
Old 11-22-2008, 01:08 PM
邵樂百

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
LOL ... I didn't even realize there was a light in the lower armrest/console bin I was just screwing around with that white bulb cover yesterday wondering what it was for Thanks to all for teaching me yet another feature of the TL and giving me another new project ... that light hasn't worked since the day I got the car!
Old 11-22-2008, 02:51 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
If you get the right "single bulb" LED, the #74 fits fine. Some people who had 'em too long, sanded the end to fit.

I got lucky, didn't have any trouble.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:31 PM
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
I think you need the 10mm length bulb neo wedge which is available from autolumination
Old 11-25-2008, 10:08 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by sqzbox
The center console light is the one inside the compartment under the arm rest in your console. At the fronnt of the compartment is a small off-white circle about the size of a half-dollar coin that lights up when you open the console compartment, but only if you have the parking or headlights on.

You can change out the bulb by using your finger nails to pull the little white circle out of the compartment wall. The entire light assembly (dark brown base and white lens/enclosure) will come out easily.

There is very little excess wire harness to this light so it makes it hard to make the bulb change. Once you get the light assembly out, the white lens/enclosure will come off of the base with an eight of a turn counter clockwise. The wedge type bulb is mounted in the base and pulls out. You will need a single LED buld to replace it.

WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T LET GO OF THE BASE. IF YOU DROP IT BACK INTO THE HOLE IT CAME OUT OF, YOU WILL HAVE A HARD TIME GETTING IT BACK OUT. I TIED A LONG PIECE OF STRING TO THE WIRE HARNESS BEFORE I TOOK THE WHITE LENS OFF JUST IN CASE I DROPPED THE BASE BACK IN THE HOLE.

After you replace the bulb, you put the white lens back over the base and turn it clockwise to get it to lock back on. This is no easy task as you have a hard time grabbing the base with so little wire harness to work with, but it can be done.

Once you have the lens back on, you just push it back in the hole.

The glove box light is the exact same assembly. It's tucked in the upper right corner of the glove box opening.

Good luck.
Since this is up on page 1, here are a couple of pics to go with the description quoted above.

Name:  ConsoleLightUnit.jpg
Views: 3299
Size:  42.2 KB

Name:  ConsoleLightApart.jpg
Views: 4295
Size:  37.5 KB

Also, check the last post in this thread:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...le#post8991779
jabia (04-23-2023)
Old 11-25-2008, 11:17 AM
Unregistered User

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
those center console bulbs/cover run hot... ever touch one going for the AUX connection? crazy hot.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:59 AM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
my

Originally Posted by playa4real
So i had originally ordered the ones mentioned above from vleds, but I wasn't too happy with the output. As a result I decided to order some different ones from superbrightleds. Check out the comparison..(as close as i could get to the naked eye with the camera)

Glovebox

Vleds

Superbrightleds

Center Console

Vleds

Superbrightleds

I am definitely happier with the ones from superbrightleds. as you can see there is not much of a difference in the LEDs used in the glovebox, but there is a pretty significant difference in output for the LEDs used in the center console (check out the output on the passenger seat). The ones from superbrightleds however are just a tad warmer in color than the one from vleds.
Originally Posted by playa4real
here's the info on the bulbs from superbrightleds:

Product: 74-xHP3 Wedge Base LED bulb $ 3.49 (each)
Options: Cool White 74-CWHP3
Old 12-01-2011, 01:53 PM
2nd Gear

Hi, I own a 05 acura tl, are the pictures of the console of glove box led lights from the same vehicle that I have???

Bcos I just checked my 05 TL, and there's no lights in the glove compartment or the centre console!!!???
Old 12-01-2011, 01:59 PM
2014 Jeep SRT

Received 1,615 Likes on 1,030 Posts
Originally Posted by alwayzrule
Hi, I own a 05 acura tl, are the pictures of the console of glove box led lights from the same vehicle that I have???

Bcos I just checked my 05 TL, and there's no lights in the glove compartment or the centre console!!!???
Holy crap what's with all the thread resurrections lately?!

Yes, I'm 99% sure that the console/glove box lighting is the same for all 04-08 TL's. Check again.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:03 PM
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts

my 05 has one, i think u need to turn on the parking light first and the glove box light will be on too
Old 12-01-2011, 02:06 PM
AZ Community Team

As mentioned, they're there.

Open the glove box; look in the upper right (iirc) for the white plastic round thing.

Open the lower part of the console. On the panel/wall at the front, closest to the shifter another white plastic round thing.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:12 PM
2nd Gear

thanks!

thanks guys. I forgot to turn on my lights, cos all i did was open the doors

I'll check it out tonight when I get home!

thanks a bunch!
Old 12-22-2011, 07:38 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 166 Likes on 140 Posts
anyone know the part number for this center console light?
I adjusted my e-brake and the white plate broke off the light housing.

thanks
Old 12-22-2011, 01:32 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by flyromeo3
anyone know the part number for this center console light?
I adjusted my e-brake and the white plate broke off the light housing.

thanks

34254-S3N-003, item #1 here:

http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org/...ystemcomp=List All&vinnoT=&trim=&trans=&view=normal
Old 08-08-2013, 01:05 AM
Cruisin'

Thanks this is just what I was looking for!
Any idea whats the part number for the white lens plastic part (where the bulb screws) in the center console?

Quick Reply: G-058: Removing center console bulb and license plate bulbs