Old 02-29-2012, 10:54 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Already did haha
Old 02-29-2012, 10:55 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
Sweet...

If you figure it out please show me how you wired your whole switch harness and I'll post it up in the DIY, with credit to you of course.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:10 AM
Chapter Leader (Houston)

Received 1,085 Likes on 810 Posts
+1 my fogs are arriving today
Old 03-01-2012, 12:21 PM
Instructor

Will do, i just ordered my hid kit for the fogs today so Ill be testing for ignition power in the fuse box to tap into and ill see if i can figure out this plug situation too...
Old 03-01-2012, 01:01 PM
Race Director

Good luck to the both of ya!
Old 03-01-2012, 01:55 PM
Instructor

I think i got it! My harness has a small plug with a single red wire on it and i beleive this is the ground for illumination. Im wiring it now and will post pics when its done and tested
Old 03-01-2012, 05:32 PM
Instructor

Success! Got everything working and cleaned up all of the extra wiring under the hood. I found a few slots in the fuse box that are open and have power with ignition on but dont know why on some slots the power comes from the top pin and others the bottom pin? Anyone? Anyways I think Im just going to use an add a fuse and use the spot for the front 12v outlet as a trigger when I get the hid's... heres the pics!

red plug on the harness which needs to be grounded to illuminate. I was going to cut off the plug and extend the wire to ground but I cut it near the switch and grounded it to the same point as the other ground.

fog switch final wiring

Here are the pics from the wire cleanup...basically all you are doing is getting rid of the plug that goes to the extra relay that we dont use along with the other unused brown plug. The only thing I had to connect to make it work was the two black ground wires coming from the foglights that went to the extra plug (the blue one).

original wiring before cleanup

ground from fog lights connected

blue plug removed (i didnt get a pic of the brown plug but its the one that has two wires going to it.

Final wiring after cleanup

Old 03-01-2012, 06:09 PM
Race Director

Looks good buddy!

So what did you end up doing in the cabin?

Just plugging in the blue connector into the empty slot on the fuse box?

And you tapped into the parking lights right?
Old 03-01-2012, 08:07 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by guitarplayer16
Looks good buddy!

So what did you end up doing in the cabin?

Just plugging in the blue connector into the empty slot on the fuse box?

And you tapped into the parking lights right?
Heres the break down for the inside wiring...

from plug that plugs into the fog switch:
1. Green wire extended to engine bay relay
2. Blue wire tapped into parking light wire
3. Solid red wire grounded for illumination
4. Black wire grounded (already has a terminal on the end)

Plug in the blue connector into the accessory slot above the fuse panel and ur done!

*just a note, the red/black wire gets the illumination power when you plug in the blue plug*

Last edited by 04TL4P3; 03-01-2012 at 08:14 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:16 PM
Race Director

WOW super easy.

Thanks a million dude!

So basically it's the same setup as mine except:
1. You just plug in the blue connector into the fuse box.
2. Instead of tapping the positive and negative wire for the switch illumination, you just ground the solid red wire to a nearby grounding point.

Am I correct?

Everything else would be the same; blue wire to parking light for trigger, green wire to engine bay, black wire to ground point.

So all it does is saves you from tapping wires to the VSA for switch illumination. Genius!

I'll update the DIY when I can! =)

I'm wondering if the switch illumination works if you tap into say the wiper motor wire (independant; constant ON if the key is in).
Would that mean the switch would illuminate if the key was in the ignition?

Last edited by guitarplayer16; 03-01-2012 at 08:19 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:49 PM
Instructor

WOW super easy.

Thanks a million dude!

So basically it's the same setup as mine except:
1. You just plug in the blue connector into the fuse box.
2. Instead of tapping the positive and negative wire for the switch illumination, you just ground the solid red wire to a nearby grounding point.

Am I correct? Yes Sir!

Everything else would be the same; blue wire to parking light for trigger, green wire to engine bay, black wire to ground point.

So all it does is saves you from tapping wires to the VSA for switch illumination. Genius!

I'll update the DIY when I can! =)

I'm wondering if the switch illumination works if you tap into say the wiper motor wire (independant; constant ON if the key is in).
Would that mean the switch would illuminate if the key was in the ignition? Yep in theory, but I havent tried it. The red/black wire only has power when the parking lights or headlights are on.
^^^
Old 03-01-2012, 09:01 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by 04TL4P3
^^^
Thanks dude!

So I guess this method is only good if you're using the parking lights as the trigger.

Otherwise, for people with independant fog lights, their button will be lit ALL THE TIME when the key is in the ignition, which would look a little funny lol

I'll be sure to mention it!

I guess people who wired their fogs to be independant will still have to tap into the VSA as a trigger for the switch illumination heheh
Old 03-01-2012, 09:06 PM
Chapter Leader (Houston)

So I can use both wires from #4 to go to engine bay right? (BLUE to go to motor wire) Instead of tapping from right where the harness goes into switch.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:22 PM
Race Director

You're installing HIDs right?

I would AVOID using the parking lights as a trigger.
Use the low beam fuse or make your fogs independant and use the wiper motor wire.

Everything else is correct!

EDIT: Just read your last sentence about using the blue wire that's beside the green wire and YES that's correct!

So 100% you were correct and know what you're doing!

My bad.

Cut that damn connector off the green and blue wire (the connector at the top of the pic), and connect them to new white wires (or whatever colour of wires you bought) and run them through the engine bay.

Last edited by guitarplayer16; 03-01-2012 at 09:27 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:31 PM
Chapter Leader (Houston)

You're installing HIDs right?

I would AVOID using the parking lights as a trigger.
Use the low beam fuse or make your fogs independant and use the wiper motor wire.

Everything else is correct!

EDIT: Just read your last sentence about using the blue wire that's beside the green wire and YES that's correct!

So 100% you were correct and know what you're doing!

My bad.

Cut that damn connector off the green and blue wire (the connector at the top of the pic), and connect them to new white wires (or whatever colour of wires you bought) and run them through the engine bay.
Exactly what I was thinking.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:39 PM
Race Director

You gonna try to install it tonight?
Old 03-01-2012, 09:44 PM
Chapter Leader (Houston)

You gonna try to install it tonight?
Tempted but no light Remember I have my non oem fogs installed so all I have to do is the wiring. For the ground for fog connectors where you extended the wires, is that necessary? Cant I just find a near ground point?
Old 03-01-2012, 10:04 PM
Instructor

Thanks dude!

So I guess this method is only good if you're using the parking lights as the trigger.

Otherwise, for people with independant fog lights, their button will be lit ALL THE TIME when the key is in the ignition, which would look a little funny lol

I'll be sure to mention it!

I guess people who wired their fogs to be independant will still have to tap into the VSA as a trigger for the switch illumination heheh
no I misunderstood when you said that about tapping into the wiper motor wire i thought u meant for the illumination. Tapping into the wiper motor or any other ignition power source as a trigger will not have any effect on the illumination of the switch so u can tap whatever you want for the relay trigger.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:07 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by TLDude876
Tempted but no light Remember I have my non oem fogs installed so all I have to do is the wiring. For the ground for fog connectors where you extended the wires, is that necessary? Cant I just find a near ground point?
Yeah, you can find any ground point.

I didn't know where to ground it and was like screw it I'm just gonna ground it where the battery gets grounded LOL

I'm positive you can just ground it to a good point on the body.

I think you can knock the wiring off in an hour or two.

The hardest part is fishing the wire(s) through the firewall LOL
Old 03-01-2012, 10:10 PM
Race Director

no I misunderstood when you said that about tapping into the wiper motor wire i thought u meant for the illumination. Tapping into the wiper motor or any other ignition power source as a trigger will not have any effect on the illumination of the switch so u can tap whatever you want for the relay trigger.
Wait so what you're saying is that accessory fuse will turn on the switch illumination, even though you tap into the wiper motor wire for a trigger?

How would that work, though?

Unless that accessory fuse is somehow wired to the parking lights, I don't get how it would tell the switch to turn on the switch illumination when the fogs are triggered to the wiper motor wire
Old 03-01-2012, 10:13 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TLDude876

So I can use both wires from #4 to go to engine bay right? (BLUE to go to motor wire) Instead of tapping from right where the harness goes into switch.
Im not sure the wires from #4 are the same as the ones going to the switch plug but if they are then you should be good. The blue wire from #5 is the wire you want to extend to your wiper motor in your case since you want your fogs to be independent from the parking lights.

#1 is the illumination power that you plug in the port in the fuse panel and #6 is the solid red wire from the switch plug that you ground for illumination.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:18 PM
Race Director

We'll find out how the switch illumination works out for people with independant fogs soon heheh
Old 03-01-2012, 10:19 PM
Instructor

Wait so what you're saying is that accessory fuse will turn on the switch illumination, even though you tap into the wiper motor wire for a trigger?

How would that work, though?

Unless that accessory fuse is somehow wired to the parking lights, I don't get how it would tell the switch to turn on the switch illumination when the fogs are triggered to the wiper motor wire
you are correct sir, the accessory port has 5 or 6 pins and one of them (the one that the red/black wire connects to) only has power when the lights are on so the power for the illumination is completely seperate from the trigger regardless of what you use as a trigger.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:27 PM
Race Director

you are correct sir, the accessory port has 5 or 6 pins and one of them (the one that the red/black wire connects to) only has power when the lights are on so the power for the illumination is completely seperate from the trigger regardless of what you use as a trigger.
So that means that the switch illumination will come on even in the daylight LOL
Old 03-01-2012, 10:38 PM
Instructor

So that means that the switch illumination will come on even in the daylight LOL
yep if your lights are on it will illuminate along with everything else in the car that illuminates lol
Old 03-01-2012, 10:42 PM
Race Director

yep if your lights are on it will illuminate along with everything else in the car that illuminates lol
Independant = no lights have to be on for your fogs to be on therefore the only thing lit up in your car is the fog switch LOL (assuming parking lights and low beam are set to off, but fogs turned on)

I can imagine most people turning on their fogs at night anywho, though lol

Great DIY none-the-less, but tapping into the VSA wires for switch illumination is the most OEM method if you have independant fogs lol
Old 03-01-2012, 10:52 PM
Instructor

Independant = no lights have to be on for your fogs to be on therefore the only thing lit up in your car is the fog switch LOL (assuming parking lights and low beam are set to off, but fogs turned on)

I can imagine most people turning on their fogs at night anywho, though lol

Great DIY none-the-less, but tapping into the VSA wires for switch illumination is the most OEM method if you have independant fogs lol

ok we are getting our terms mixed up lol

when i say illumination i mean the white light that lights up the little fog light emblem jut like the vsa button has the white vsa letters that light up. if you have wired like i did then your fog switch will illuminate exactly as the oem things in the car do when your parking lights or headlights are on. Its independent from the foglight power whether they are triggered to the parking light, wiper motor, or any other trigger source.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:58 PM
Race Director

ok we are getting our terms mixed up lol

when i say illumination i mean the white light that lights up the little fog light emblem jut like the vsa button has the white vsa letters that light up. if you have wired like i did then your fog switch will illuminate exactly as the oem things in the car do when your parking lights or headlights are on. Its independent from the foglight power whether they are triggered to the parking light, wiper motor, or any other trigger source.
When I mean independant fogs I mean that when you stick your key in the ignition and turn your car on, you can turn on and off the fogs just by using the switch, and it does not rely on your parking lights being on or your headlights being on lol

So many confusing terms LOL

So say you cut your blue wire. It's not connected to anything. No trigger. It's not connected to your parking lights anymore.
You flick on your parking lights or low beams, and all the buttons in your car light up. Your fog switch emblem illumination is supposed to light up too?

That's what I don't get unless there's something inside the accessory fuse slot that is hooked up to the parking lights itself
Old 03-01-2012, 11:07 PM
Instructor

There is! Lol thats what i explained here^^^

I know what u meant by independent fogs cuz thats what i did with my oem fogs in the headlight by wiring them to the wiper motor.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:17 PM
Race Director

Ugh my eyes are failing me.
Face palm to self.

Cheers for the DIY!
Old 03-02-2012, 12:19 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird.

If you wired your switch harness as explained through my DIY, all you need to do to illuminate the switch is to tap some wires to the VSA switch.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...2&postcount=80

OR follow NSXCessive's switch harness wiring guide.
Read over it carefully, as I have not tried wiring mine this way LOL
https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=123

Hi, sorry I do not visit Zine that often... Do you mean you have no illumination, or no green light indicating switch is in on position?

For illumination you have to ground 2 wires in the accord switch. Some have tapped the VSA wires, honestly I would no tap and wires with those crappy 3m temporary tap connectors unless you plan on having problems down the road with bad connections etc.

Post#118 I explained the connections to made with out interfering with VSA or any other 'hacking' of OEM wiring.

"....Interior hooked up to switch is: RED/BLK (Parking light trigger used for aftermarket alarms etc) goes to 6-Pin accessory harness which I mentioned above to illuminate it. BLU on trigger I connected to the BLK/YELLOW. Since my car has a Viper autostart /alarm so we grabbed ignition trigger from there you can grab wherever you want. Some people grabbed power from the wipers or other accessories. It’s a small turn on current anyway so should have any problems using that to trigger the supplied Black relay from the Accord kit. RED + BLK were taken to ground, and green is the trigger going out to the accord relay in the engine bay. I ran a new wire into the engine bay thru the rubber grommet near the brake reservoir that connects to the GRN at the relay...."

PM NSXCessive?
Done! lol

Last edited by NSXCessive; 03-02-2012 at 12:25 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:41 PM
Chapter Leader (Houston)

Just got done! Thanks for all the help guys! I did not extend the ground wires on the fog harness, I took off that plastic underguard and bolted it there.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:44 PM
Instructor

Congrats!
Old 03-08-2012, 07:25 PM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

Received 290 Likes on 267 Posts
subscribing...Project of my own coming soon
Old 03-08-2012, 07:30 PM
Race Director

Keep us updated!
Old 03-08-2012, 07:35 PM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

Received 290 Likes on 267 Posts
Keep us updated!
U know I do G~PLAYER via my PROGRESS thread I just text MONDO to see if he has TLS grilles available and back up posted on FS thread for a pr of TLS grilles in the BM.

...BTW, AWESOME FREAKIN write up A+
Old 03-15-2012, 09:30 PM
2004 Acura TL

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Does anyone have a part # for the black relay? I think mine is faulty and now my fogs do not turn on?
Old 03-15-2012, 09:33 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by navarretg
Does anyone have a part # for the black relay? I think mine is faulty and now my fogs do not turn on?
Did you check the fuse and all wiring connections?
Old 03-15-2012, 09:52 PM
2004 Acura TL

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
yes the fuse are properly working, I changed them out with the new ones to be sure. It might be the ground wire but I will work on the car again tomorrow.

The only reason I believe its the relay because it makes a weird clicking noise when holding the ground wire to any piece of metal. And I was having the same problems before and I just unplugged the relay and plugged it back it and the fogs worked. I am really stumped.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:56 PM
Chapter Leader (Houston)

If the relay clicks that means its working. I'd double check the wiring

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: G-031: [DIY] Accord Fogs with Type-S Grills on '04-'06 TL