Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

G-031: [DIY] Accord Fogs with Type-S Grills on '04-'06 TL

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 08:04 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
Excellent explanation, NSXCessive.

Indeed, if there were pictures it would be easier to understand, but good nonetheless!

In conclusion, the differences between my DIY is that the switch's illumination comes from a accessory connector, instead of the VSA wires.
The trigger wire (blue) is tapped into the ignition wire, opposed to parking light wires.

That's correct, right?

Btw, I'll get a moderator to edit my wiring post and link your post right at the top of the wiring section.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:51 AM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I'll get pics tomorrow, keep forgetting, i need to re adjust them as they light up left and right of me while driving.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:03 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by guitarplayer16
Excellent explanation, NSXCessive.

Indeed, if there were pictures it would be easier to understand, but good nonetheless!

In conclusion, the differences between my DIY is that the switch's illumination comes from a accessory connector, instead of the VSA wires.
The trigger wire (blue) is tapped into the ignition wire, opposed to parking light wires.

That's correct, right?

Btw, I'll get a moderator to edit my wiring post and link your post right at the top of the wiring section.

Thanks man I thought I would add to your already great writeup, did some things differently but hey thats what makes it DIY custom work none the less. I was installing A-Spec body kit so was easier for me to remove the bumper off the car. You could install the Fogs without removing but makes life easier to take it off. I would have to say I spent 12+ hrs fitting the fogs, running the wires etc. I'm sure the 2nd time around would be 1/2 that, since the first journey is always a learning experience.

For those of you who want to use the 6-Pin harness and trigger using the parking lights. I checked the repair manual I made a mistake in the previous post its NOT #19 the correct spot is #7. See the pic below you'll have the right idea. Take the BLU from the switch harness and run it to the parking light trigger RED/BLK instead of using an Ignition trigger.

Took some quick snaps with the BB last night to share:

Interior fuse box, and the 6 pin harness connected to #7 no cutting or extra splicing need to illuminate note: if you have an aftermarket alarm you can remove the dummy plug and trigger your parking lights from the RED/BLK pin

Ground location used for switch harness:

Dummy plug removed this is the 6-Pin accessory harness with a parallel connector for other accessories. In my case Viper Alarm/Autostart parking light trigger.

Pass Thru to engine bay using blue speaker wire, you can also see my PLX Afr gauge wiring passing thru the same grommet.

Engine Bay connection to +12 terminal.

Fog harness routing left to right.

Accord Harness Driver side removed grounds and re-taped up. Ground was connected in engine bay removing 2nd gray relay harness.

Inside bumper mounting using 1 screw & spring clip, and cut off top tab and used bottom tab to mount Fog housings.

Left & Right Sides + A-Spec lip mockup using custom trimmed base grills, might still need some minor tweaking here and there still.

Last edited by NSXCessive; 07-12-2011 at 02:09 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:23 PM
Race Director

Thanks for the DIY =)

I just PMed Bearcat, so he'll update my first post =)

The only thing I would do to fix your install is to try making the fogs point inwards more.
All you have to do is keep the inside corner where it is (use as a pivot point), and bring the outside edge out more.

Btw, if you're in the GTA area, come out to the Acurazine TL meet!

https://acurazine.com/forums/eastern-canada-323/acurazine-tl-meet-%40-speedstar-824926/

Last edited by guitarplayer16; 07-12-2011 at 04:26 PM.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:56 AM
Advanced

Thanks for the DIY =)

I just PMed Bearcat, so he'll update my first post =)

The only thing I would do to fix your install is to try making the fogs point inwards more.
All you have to do is keep the inside corner where it is (use as a pivot point), and bring the outside edge out more.

Btw, if you're in the GTA area, come out to the Acurazine TL meet!

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=824926
Excellent lots of good info for everyone in your DIY. In the corners of the bumper I had notched to use the lower half of the Accord bracket, I'd have to try and bend the bracket or figure something else out. I was keeping in mind to bring the outside edge out as much as possible. Would be no problem if my A-Spec lip wasn't in the way. I'm in Waterloo but maybe sometime I might come down and meetup.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:41 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by NSXCessive
Would be no problem if my A-Spec lip wasn't in the way. I'm in Waterloo but maybe sometime I might come down and meetup.
I made notches in the housing where it would hit the A-Spec lip to bring the outsides flush with the bumper =)

Waterloo isn't too far from the meet area; about 45 minutes?

Closer to the meet than where I live (2 hours away) =P

Sister lives in Waterloo and goes to Laurier so I go there pretty often =P
Old 07-13-2011, 03:24 PM
Advanced

I made notches in the housing where it would hit the A-Spec lip to bring the outsides flush with the bumper =)

Waterloo isn't too far from the meet area; about 45 minutes?

Closer to the meet than where I live (2 hours away) =P

Sister lives in Waterloo and goes to Laurier so I go there pretty often =P
Yes I notched mine as well beside the fog housing, and also cut a slot for the lower tab, you can't really see it from the crap cell pics. I guess we'll see how far out it illuminates with the road with HIDs and then make some more aim adjustments.

Haha I live a few mins away from Laurier and pass by that area everyday. Well if your ever in town message me.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:44 PM
Race Director

Yes I notched mine as well beside the fog housing, and also cut a slot for the lower tab, you can't really see it from the crap cell pics. I guess we'll see how far out it illuminates with the road with HIDs and then make some more aim adjustments.

Haha I live a few mins away from Laurier and pass by that area everyday. Well if your ever in town message me.
Ah my fogs point inwards as much as possible (while looking flush) and they still point light outwards quite a bit!

Waiting for my Nokya Yellows to put in =)

Haha, I'll be around the loo this weekend I believe lmao
Old 07-15-2011, 12:45 PM
Advanced

Ah my fogs point inwards as much as possible (while looking flush) and they still point light outwards quite a bit!

Waiting for my Nokya Yellows to put in =)

Haha, I'll be around the loo this weekend I believe lmao
Yea I did have the outside corners almost flush with the bumper, but the A-Spec lip pushed it back. I guess I could always dump the Accord bracket I modified and drill a hole thru the inside edge to get it to point as straight as possible.

I'm planning on running 3000k HID's in the fogs still waiting for them to show they are stuck in Canada Post's backlog somewhere? I also changed out the original D2S OEM headlights with 6000k as well, what a PITA to do them even with the entire bumper still off.

Do you have a Blackberry by chance? Eitherway PM me your info man.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:31 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

in this picture if you use the second to last 7.5 fuse with a add-a-fuse, it will also work as a trigger wire instead of cutting and tapping into the other wires. i was gonna try and figure out which wire was the parking wire but with soo little space i remembered in the audio forum people were using the #32 location as a remote turn on.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:35 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by GldCrzy
in this picture if you use the second to last 7.5 fuse with a add-a-fuse, it will also work as a trigger wire instead of cutting and tapping into the other wires. i was gonna try and figure out which wire was the parking wire but with soo little space i remembered in the audio forum people were using the #32 location as a remote turn on.
Thanks for the information!

Havn't heard of it.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:16 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by GldCrzy

If you use the wiring that comes with the Accord Fogs the RED/BLK trigger wire is already there in that switch harness, as well as a bunch of other wires in a parallel extension not sure what 1/2 of them are I guess Honda refers to it as and 'Accessory Harness'.

I tired to keep the wiring as clean and simple like OEM as possible and no cutting required of any other OEM parking light wires doing this way. But good to know that info you listed above as well thanks for the info.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:22 PM
skaiiz tha limit

dang it, where were you guys back in '08 when I was getting this installed?! lol jk, you guys combined forces to have a GREAT write up, description + pictures are always BEST!

GREAT GREAT WORK!
Old 07-21-2011, 06:58 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
that is sick man!! im about to do the same to mine. But i have some questions hoping you can help me with...

Questions:

1)Mine is a 06 TL non type-s and doesnt have an a spec body kit.. so is it still the same thing?i or i should just wait until i install an a spec body kit which i MIGHT get later(still thinking if i should get it or not)

2)I wanna do the grill and the fog light installation by myself..but for the wiring i wanna have my friend to do it...so i was thinking of doing the grill first then bring my car to his shop to do the wiring..do u think it's a good idea or it's better to do everything together?

Thank you so much for your help..cant wait until i do it
Old 07-21-2011, 07:18 AM
skaiiz tha limit

IMO your better off installing the fog light first then install the kit afterwards.

I Installed my fog light and grill onto the bumper first then ran the wires afterwards. But it REALLY doesnt matter at all, its more of a personal preference. Good luck!
Old 07-21-2011, 11:19 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by TL_Pang
that is sick man!! im about to do the same to mine. But i have some questions hoping you can help me with...

Questions:

1)Mine is a 06 TL non type-s and doesnt have an a spec body kit.. so is it still the same thing?i or i should just wait until i install an a spec body kit which i MIGHT get later(still thinking if i should get it or not)

2)I wanna do the grill and the fog light installation by myself..but for the wiring i wanna have my friend to do it...so i was thinking of doing the grill first then bring my car to his shop to do the wiring..do u think it's a good idea or it's better to do everything together?

Thank you so much for your help..cant wait until i do it
1. I found it easier that I had a front lip because I'll only be cutting once.

If you decide to fit the fog lights right now without a lip, then you'll have to do less trimming. You won't have to make notches or anything to fit the lip.

BUT, if you decide to get the front lip and you already mounted the fogs, you'll have to take out the housing again, and trim the bottom and the outside edge to work with the A-Spec lip.

So cutting once with A-Spec lip = win.

By all means, do what you want. Adding in the A-Spec lip after isn't such a huge hassle; just a little more trimming.

2. You can definitely do everything by yourself.

Fit the housing in and everything, then wiring is last.

Why I don't recommend going to your buddy's shop to wire is because you have to put the front bumper back on.

Putting back on the front bumper made it impossible for me to wire the harness to the fogs, so I had to take my bumper back off, connect the wires, route them, zip tie them, then put the bumper back on.

All my instructions are easy to follow as I'm a noob at wiring also so it should be written from a noobie to noobie lol

Good luck and don't stress it!
Old 07-21-2011, 11:22 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Skaii
dang it, where were you guys back in '08 when I was getting this installed?! lol jk, you guys combined forces to have a GREAT write up, description + pictures are always BEST!

GREAT GREAT WORK!
Hey thanks Skaii!

Noticed that there wasn't really a detailed Accord fog DIY so I decided to help out the community.

Then came along other great members who contributed to make this the "ultimate" accord fog DIY thread lol
Old 07-21-2011, 04:36 PM
skaiiz tha limit

Yup you made it DETAILED great for everyone to learn from

Oh I forgot to mention I have the type-s front lip when installing the accord foglight. damn it was so long ago when I did the lip, I cant remember if I had to trim it or not
Old 07-21-2011, 04:51 PM
Intermediate

1. I found it easier that I had a front lip because I'll only be cutting once.

If you decide to fit the fog lights right now without a lip, then you'll have to do less trimming. You won't have to make notches or anything to fit the lip.

BUT, if you decide to get the front lip and you already mounted the fogs, you'll have to take out the housing again, and trim the bottom and the outside edge to work with the A-Spec lip.

So cutting once with A-Spec lip = win.

By all means, do what you want. Adding in the A-Spec lip after isn't such a huge hassle; just a little more trimming.

2. You can definitely do everything by yourself.

Fit the housing in and everything, then wiring is last.

Why I don't recommend going to your buddy's shop to wire is because you have to put the front bumper back on.

Putting back on the front bumper made it impossible for me to wire the harness to the fogs, so I had to take my bumper back off, connect the wires, route them, zip tie them, then put the bumper back on.

All my instructions are easy to follow as I'm a noob at wiring also so it should be written from a noobie to noobie lol

Good luck and don't stress it!
Yea coz i have never done any mod so everything is new to me..take out the bumper..housing..wiring etc...but since u said it should be fine even a noobie is doing it..and i dun think im lol

one last thing, can u tell me all the tool that u used? I wanna see what my frd has them and if not, i will go get them before I do the project at his garage

Many thanks!!!
Old 07-21-2011, 06:47 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Skaii
Yup you made it DETAILED great for everyone to learn from

Oh I forgot to mention I have the type-s front lip when installing the accord foglight. damn it was so long ago when I did the lip, I cant remember if I had to trim it or not
Ooo how'd the Type-S lip turn out with Accord fogs?

Any pictures?

Originally Posted by TL_Pang
Yea coz i have never done any mod so everything is new to me..take out the bumper..housing..wiring etc...but since u said it should be fine even a noobie is doing it..and i dun think im lol

one last thing, can u tell me all the tool that u used? I wanna see what my frd has them and if not, i will go get them before I do the project at his garage

Many thanks!!!
Yeah to be honest I had no wiring knowledge prior to this lol
It was also my very first time using a dremel too.

So yeah, trust me when I say I was a complete noob before this lol

All the tools used was listed in my DIY but off the top of my head:

To fit the housings you'll need:

A dremel (with a sanding bit and cutting disk).
Masking Tape
Screwdrivers
Drill and drillbits (If you're doing the Type-S center grill)
JB Weld
Long screws and big washers (to mount the fogs).

A lot of basic things you have at home...

For wiring you need:

20A mini Fuse
16 Guage wire
butt connectors
Mini In-line fuse
Splice connectors or t-taps
Wire crimps
Old 07-21-2011, 11:06 PM
skaiiz tha limit

[quote=guitarplayer16;13108341]Ooo how'd the Type-S lip turn out with Accord fogs?

Any pictures?

I have some but there so old and no where to be found. But luckily I kept diggin and diggin and found UNO! sadly its a crappy cell phone photo a couple years back.. I know it doesnt help but its the least I can do since you asked. btw this is the first time I've ever posted a picture of my car

Old 07-21-2011, 11:11 PM
skaiiz tha limit

and i cant take any more photos of my car to show you "( .. i took the whole car apart and painted everything piece by piece white then installed 07-08 type s front end. So now I finally have a 07-08 front bumper and fog lights with the type s chrome grill.

should of taken more photos of my AM tl. I'll be sure to do so with my WDP tl.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:06 AM
Intermediate

Ooo how'd the Type-S lip turn out with Accord fogs?

Any pictures?

Yeah to be honest I had no wiring knowledge prior to this lol
It was also my very first time using a dremel too.

So yeah, trust me when I say I was a complete noob before this lol

All the tools used was listed in my DIY but off the top of my head:

To fit the housings you'll need:

A dremel (with a sanding bit and cutting disk).
Masking Tape
Screwdrivers
Drill and drillbits (If you're doing the Type-S center grill)
JB Weld
Long screws and big washers (to mount the fogs).

A lot of basic things you have at home...

For wiring you need:

20A mini Fuse
16 Guage wire
butt connectors
Mini In-line fuse
Splice connectors or t-taps
Wire crimps
Thank you so much for all the detail again.. i will probably order it soon n work on it as soon as i get it...i will send u a pic of the result later
Old 08-03-2011, 08:21 PM
6-SPEED LOVER

Received 122 Likes on 90 Posts
i dont think i have the balls to do that honey comb grille to my car

how in NY did this already ?
Old 08-03-2011, 11:18 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by ABP_04TL
i dont think i have the balls to do that honey comb grille to my car

how in NY did this already ?
Not many people have done this mod (I can think of only 5).

maddsiick is located in NY and he's done it.

https://acurazine.com/forums/members/maddsiick-190595/
Old 08-04-2011, 08:52 PM
Race Director

Okay, so I havn't really posted how I organized my wires yet in the engine bay.

So here are the pictures:

I had to notch out a bit of the fuse box cover for the in-line fuse wire.

In this picture you can see I extended the power wire (blue/red) around 7" to reach the in-line fuse:

The wire on the right is the wire from the firewall.

Everything under the covers and organized nicely:

Old 08-05-2011, 02:43 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Has anyone thought about using the stock fogs? I don't use the stock fogs ever because I don't like the way the headlight looks with them on.

Is it the same bulb? Could I just extend the wires down to the accord fogs?
Old 08-05-2011, 09:35 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TexanAttorney
Has anyone thought about using the stock fogs? I don't use the stock fogs ever because I don't like the way the headlight looks with them on.

Is it the same bulb? Could I just extend the wires down to the accord fogs?

odds are u.s. cars i believe are 9006 but in essence you could just unplugs those and tap into those wires so you wouldnt have to mess with all that wiring .
Old 08-12-2011, 07:33 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
Hey man...finally used your wiring diagram to fix my fog switch. Thank you...
of course, as luck would have it...everything went wrong from there. I was putting my seat heater bulbs in and something shorted as I inserted the led bulb in with the screwdriver while the lights were on and I saw a small flash under the shifter area and now every one of those little lights turned off. The VSA, door, mirror, radio buttons, seat heaters. I checked the fuses and they all seem ok. Radio works, interior lighting works, 12v acc outlets front and rear work. Any ideas, please?
Old 08-12-2011, 08:30 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by rockstar143
Hey man...finally used your wiring diagram to fix my fog switch. Thank you...
of course, as luck would have it...everything went wrong from there. I was putting my seat heater bulbs in and something shorted as I inserted the led bulb in with the screwdriver while the lights were on and I saw a small flash under the shifter area and now every one of those little lights turned off. The VSA, door, mirror, radio buttons, seat heaters. I checked the fuses and they all seem ok. Radio works, interior lighting works, 12v acc outlets front and rear work. Any ideas, please?
Sorry to hear man.

I had some bulbs go out while installing new ones and then I said "you got to be kidding me. I put in a new bulb and others burn out? fml"
But then a simple start up and drive around fixed it somehow.

Last edited by guitarplayer16; 08-12-2011 at 08:33 PM.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:40 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
I didn't drive around, but I may have to give this a try...I did pull the neg on the battery to reset the check engine light I set off by pulling the ignition fuse by accident (with car running) trying to diagnose the lighting issue. I mean, if all the lights went out, it HAS to be something...wtf?!?!?
Old 11-29-2011, 02:41 PM
Intermediate

Im currently doing this mod to my car right now and I have to say... its more difficult than the Zkw-r swap. The hard part is making sure the bezel fits snuggley while making sure it still looks clean.

Im having trouble following the under dash part. I plugged in the 6 pin and grounded it. Im left with the "dummy" 6 pin, a single red wire with a 2 pin connector, switch 5 pin, and a 2 pin green and blue wire.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:33 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Watermelon913
Im currently doing this mod to my car right now and I have to say... its more difficult than the Zkw-r swap. The hard part is making sure the bezel fits snuggley while making sure it still looks clean.

Im having trouble following the under dash part. I plugged in the 6 pin and grounded it. Im left with the "dummy" 6 pin, a single red wire with a 2 pin connector, switch 5 pin, and a 2 pin green and blue wire.
Yeah you'll have leftover wires man.

All you need out of the switch harness is:
The skinny connector that goes to the switch.
The ground wire with a ring terminal on it.
The green wire that connects to the extended wire from the engine bay.
The blue wire for your trigger wire.

Just follow my DIY and you'll be fine =)
Old 11-29-2011, 05:44 PM
Intermediate

Sorry for being a pain in your butt hehe. One last thing, Step #7 demonstrates you hooking up your "new wire" to the switch harness. When you say switch harness is it the green wire from the actually switch or the green wire with the blue wire?

Again thank you sooo much, idk what I would do without you!
Old 11-29-2011, 05:55 PM
Race Director

Sorry for being a pain in your butt hehe. One last thing, Step #7 demonstrates you hooking up your "new wire" to the switch harness. When you say switch harness is it the green wire from the actually switch or the green wire with the blue wire?

Again thank you sooo much, idk what I would do without you!
Either one; they're both the same green wire.
You can see I cut the green wire (the one with the blue wire) in half, and wired together the extended wire. It essentially goes to the switch connector.

As long as you somehow get the extended wire from the engine bay to hook up with the green wire from the swtich connector you're okay lol

No problem.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:29 PM
Intermediate

Where is the parking light wire?
Old 12-01-2011, 10:56 PM
Race Director

Where is the parking light wire?
You have to remove the lower dash cover.

Then look to the left, there's a connector attached to the metal.
This picture of it is upside down.

The parking light wire is the red/black wire on the top left.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:27 PM
Intermediate

Oh that was what that was? lol I really thought I had to run another wire through the firewall all the way to the actual signal light where the bulb is.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:36 PM
Intermediate

Heres mine I finished last week
sorry for poor quality, all I had was an iphone 3g

Overall I love the way they came out and they meet my standards
I know cutoff line starts to "bow" to the right and driver side fog light aimed a little low
Old 12-07-2011, 06:24 AM
Race Director

Wow your install came out perfect!

The way they are aimed and projected and everything look wayyy better than mine does.

I've came to the conclusion that people without the front lip have a better aim than those who do.

Great job.
The following users liked this post:
Watermelon913 (12-07-2011)

Quick Reply: G-031: [DIY] Accord Fogs with Type-S Grills on '04-'06 TL