Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

G-029: DIY Independent Fog Lights WITH Stock Switch

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 06:58 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great thread.

Looking to (finally) tackle this one myself, but would like to ask the community (or one member of) for a favor:

Can someone link to me (Amazon is fine) the miscellaneous tools/fitments necessary to perform this project? Assume that all I have is a wire crimping/cutting/stripping tool.

Thanks!
Old 12-05-2016, 04:34 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DIY 04-06 Foglight use with oem switch

i have a question about this diy mod that I'm in the process but stuck now in the middle of now. The question is i am confuse on which blue/black wire to use on the relay. My TL is a 05 manual navigation and the rely has two blue/black one is small and really skinny and the other is fatter and more noticeable. I cut the bigger one and nothin happened idk what that wire was but it showed no affect to my lighting that I noticed yet now I'm affaird to cut the smaller blue/black wire and find out what happens without some input on this. And also if someone could fine a diagram for the relay to show what all those wires are and what was the function of the wire I cut.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:38 PM
2nd Gear

Sorry to bring this back up but on the fuse box there is 2 blue/black wires one is smaller and the other is fatter which one would I use for this mod skinny or big blue/black? I used the bigger one but nothing happened at all! Nothing now I don't know Wat that wire I cut was really for and would be helpful if someone can point me to a place I can find wiring diagram of the car
Old 04-02-2017, 05:03 PM
Cold Business

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
So after reading 323 posts, I'm concerned that nobody had fixed the instructions on this. It's garbled , unclear and a mess.

Specify that's it's the dark blue wire on the column.
Make sure ppl understand they can test
that they've found the wire , by trying to turn on the headlights.
A clearer pic of the wires on the relay.
Specify that it's the loom behind and to the right of the brake fluid reservoir.

​​​​​​I understand it's try at your own risk, but can we do our best to save members
a bunch of bawwshhit, and be concise.
Old 04-03-2017, 05:25 PM
Cold Business

So I just completed this mod. Couple things...

The plug you want on the column is the one behind the wiper control stick. Green band of tape near the plug as pictured.

The wire you want is the dark blue with wHite stripe.

The wires on the relay are pretty easy, but theres almost no extra space to get in there. Go slow. Tin the wires first, then put them together and heat to join with soldering iron.

The wires are on the same side of the relay as the big white w red stripe, small one is switch, bigger one is power​​​​​.

Came out perfect. Thanks for the write up.

still sucks that you have to read through 400 posts to get a clearer idea of what's what on this 2 wire mod.

Mods please make this clearer , so ppl aren't burning shit up on their cars.

​​​​
Old 04-04-2017, 09:23 AM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SocomM4
So I just completed this mod. Couple things...

The plug you want on the column is the one behind the wiper control stick. Green band of tape near the plug as pictured.

The wire you want is the dark blue with wHite stripe.

The wires on the relay are pretty easy, but theres almost no extra space to get in there. Go slow. Tin the wires first, then put them together and heat to join with soldering iron.

The wires are on the same side of the relay as the big white w red stripe, small one is switch, bigger one is power​​​​​.

Came out perfect. Thanks for the write up.

still sucks that you have to read through 400 posts to get a clearer idea of what's what on this 2 wire mod.

Mods please make this clearer , so ppl aren't burning shit up on their cars.

​​​​
you da man
Old 04-05-2017, 05:28 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Nice write up. Hopefully do this soon.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:08 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm gonna be doing this soon. Looks pretty simple.

I have an 05 and I'm putting a 07-08 bumper with fogs. I want to use the stock switch to turn on the fogs independently. Now my question is, after I do this DIY, can I tap the 07-08 fogs into the built-in fog in the 05 headlights? I don't feel like putting a separate harness and switch for the bumper fogs. Like put a H8 harness and then tap it to the 9006 harness so both set of fog lights turn on. Would I need to change to a higher amp fuse for this?
Old 05-27-2017, 06:16 AM
1st Gear

Recently did the independent fog light mod, using stock switch, I followed the write up on acurazine, everything worked well upon till couple days ago when I disconnected my battery to remove my headlight to do a little retrofitting, plugged everything back up afterwards only to have my lights freaking out doing all sorts of weird shit, the parking lights comes on fine but the turn signals doesn't come on and if it does it trips out my left headlight smfh, now when I turn the fog lights on (factory fogs) it automatically switches the passenger side headlight to high beam and turns off the driver side, it's almost like it sucks all the power from the driver side and sends it to the passenger side. But that's not the weirdest part tonight I got out the car locked it with the remote and couple of the lights stayed on including the fan I'm assuming it's the radiator fan, I had to pop the hood and disconnect the battery for them to turn off, then reconnected the battery, what type of weird shit is this ????????
Old 05-31-2017, 09:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,583 Likes on 6,630 Posts
Originally Posted by Timbah24
Recently did the independent fog light mod, using stock switch, I followed the write up on acurazine, everything worked well upon till couple days ago when I disconnected my battery to remove my headlight to do a little retrofitting, plugged everything back up afterwards only to have my lights freaking out doing all sorts of weird shit, the parking lights comes on fine but the turn signals doesn't come on and if it does it trips out my left headlight smfh, now when I turn the fog lights on (factory fogs) it automatically switches the passenger side headlight to high beam and turns off the driver side, it's almost like it sucks all the power from the driver side and sends it to the passenger side. But that's not the weirdest part tonight I got out the car locked it with the remote and couple of the lights stayed on including the fan I'm assuming it's the radiator fan, I had to pop the hood and disconnect the battery for them to turn off, then reconnected the battery, what type of weird shit is this ????????
got some weird shorts or grounds aren't properly re-connected.
Old 10-07-2017, 01:05 PM
@rv6_ua6

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Thread revival

so I followed every instruction to the T
but I have a problem. The last part in which you tap into the green wire. It did absolutely nothing. Lights didn’t come on and it wasn’t able to operate from the switch like the step before. Does anyone know if it’s the green wire in a 2004 TL?
they are working now but with manual switch shut off ONLY.
want them to disconnect when the power goes out.

P.s. does anyone know if the 9005 bulbs <DRL> from Type S Lights will produce more power on a Base 2004 swap? Don’t want my headlights to melt.
Did the mod and cut the tabs inside the stock 9005 halogens to fit the 9006 socket. So when I’m using the DRL the headlights get VERY HOT!

PLEASE HELP
Old 10-20-2017, 11:08 PM
Cold Business

Originally Posted by navicolb
so I followed every instruction to the T
but I have a problem. The last part in which you tap into the green wire. It did absolutely nothing. Lights didn’t come on and it wasn’t able to operate from the switch like the step before. Does anyone know if it’s the green wire in a 2004 TL?
they are working now but with manual switch shut off ONLY.
want them to disconnect when the power goes out.

P.s. does anyone know if the 9005 bulbs <DRL> from Type S Lights will produce more power on a Base 2004 swap? Don’t want my headlights to melt.
Did the mod and cut the tabs inside the stock 9005 halogens to fit the 9006 socket. So when I’m using the DRL the headlights get VERY HOT!

PLEASE HELP
You obviously didnt follow it.
Old 03-14-2021, 09:24 PM
Racer

Need confirmation that this can be done the same way on a 2013 TSX. Or if a different way needs to be done please post details
Old 07-19-2021, 11:43 AM
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts
Clear, concise, and very well illustrated, annotated, and explained. Well done, Sir!!