3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

G-029: DIY '07-'08 3G TL Independent HID Fog Lights WITH Stock Switch

Old 11-21-2010, 12:52 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
G-029: DIY '07-'08 3G TL Independent HID Fog Lights WITH Stock Switch

Sorry for the wait everyone. Very special thanks to "Vmodi89" for walking me through his DIY.

NOTE: You will have to purchase an H8 HID kit and an H8 HID relay harness. DRL's = Daytime running lights

Tools Needed:

Flathead and phillips screwdriver
10mm socket (used to remove the front bumper)
Electrical tape
Zip ties
Butterknife w/ soft cloth (great tool used to remove interior panels)
mini add-a-fuse

Below is a picture of a generic HID relay harness that you will need. Throughout this DIY I will be using the numbers below as a reference tool. I will place them in bold to refer back to this image.

Quick cliff notes on how on the DIY:
1. Connect to passenger side HID ballast
2. Connect to drivers side HID ballast
3. Connect to positive terminal of battery
4. Connect to negative terminal of batter or any bare metal ground location
5. Blue wire (was red on my harness) will go to fuse #11 in the kick panel fuse box (windshield wiper)
Black wire will connect to pin 5, dark blue wire, in the headlight stalk not on the connector side. (I will explain in the pics below.)
6. Relay harness
7. 40amp inline fuse that comes with the harness

STEP 1
You will need to remove the front bumper to install the HID kit. You will need to install you HID ballast and bulbs before you go any further. I did not take photos of my install because these are very straight forward. Below is the link on how to remove the front bumper from the 3G garage.
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/diy-video-updated-removing-front-bumper-3g-garage-e-080-a-628363/

STEP 2
Remove the lower dash. There will be a screw on the side closest to the gas pedal and a connector for the led foot well lighting. Be very careful when removing.

STEP 3
Remove 3 phillips screws under the steering wheel around the lever used to adjust the steering wheel height and telescoping feature. Use the butter knife w/ a soft cloth carefully pry in between the plastic to remove it around the steering wheel.

STEP 4
After you completed STEP 3 this is how it should look. The plug will be located just above the ignition key slot. It's has some writing in white on it. I think it said "2M".

STEP 5
Cut the DARK BLUE wire from the connector you just removed. Wrap the wire you just cut coming out of the connector with electrical tape or very small heat shrink. The other side of the wire (where my finger is pointing) will be connected to the black wire, #5, from the HID harness pictured above.

STEP 6
The positive wire (#5) on the HID harness above will go to fuse #11 in the interior fuse panel located the the kick panel on the drives side. As you can see my wire was red. I used a mini add-a-fuse in fuse #11.

STEP 7
Connect the the HID harness to the battery. #3 Positive terminal and #4 Negative terminal. Also you can see the inline fuse (#7) from the harness.

STEP 8
Take your factory connectors that connect to your fog light bulbs and wrap them very well with electrical tape and zip tie them to a secure area. You will NOT be using these. I zip tied mine down to a factory wiring harness loom.

Before and after I wrapped it with electrical tape.

STEP 9
I do not have pictures but you will connect #1 and #2 from the HID harness to the HID ballast in your kit. Make sure #1 and #2 can reach the HID ballast before you secure them down.

Thats it!! Again sorry for the wait and special thanks to Vmodi89. If you all have any questions please ask.

Below are a couple installed pics. I chose 6000K as my color choice. Pics were taken from my cell phone, so they are not the greatest. Enjoy!

Key in the ignition turned one click forward. The drl's not on.

The fog lights with the drl's on. You can pull Fuse #3 to turn them off or disconnect the from the rear of the bulb. You will have a the "drl" indicator light on in the dash.

Last edited by Bearcat94; 01-25-2012 at 10:34 PM. Reason: fixed pics
The following 5 users liked this post by 1islandparadise:
ChristianRE (05-09-2012), ignition_key (08-19-2013), Mafyoso (06-19-2011), sauceja (06-05-2012), treal512 (09-18-2017)
Old 11-21-2010, 02:00 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great DIY man, Im bookmarking this one.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:34 PM
Chapter Leader (Central New Jersey)

Received 220 Likes on 202 Posts
yea when i get some free time im gonna def do this
Old 11-21-2010, 04:46 PM
Chapter Leader (Central New Jersey)

Received 220 Likes on 202 Posts
The other side of the wire (where my finger is pointing) will be connected to the black wire, #5, from the HID harness pictured above.it actually shows a red wire in the pic of the relay harness???

Last edited by 07tl-s6spd; 11-21-2010 at 04:50 PM.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:53 PM
under renovations....

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Great write up! I already have 6k's in my fogs I just need to make them independent.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by 07tl-s6spd
The other side of the wire (where my finger is pointing) will be connected to the black wire, #5, from the HID harness pictured above.it actually shows a red wire in the pic of the relay harness???
#5 in the first picture of the harness is annotating the connector with the blue and black wire. The blue wire is positive. My harness was red instead of the blue. Let me know if I explained it well enough. If you take a pic of your harness I can try to better explain it.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:28 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hello all, does the fog lights only work when the headlight is on.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:56 PM

^^^Yes the fog lights only work when the headlights are on and they turn off when your high beams are on. Mine are amazingly bright with my high beams and HID fogs on at the same time.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:13 PM
Pz_
Instructor

I probably won't go HID for fogs since I get bright light flashed almost every single night as it is with factory lighting across the board. However, I would like to wire my fogs up to be independent. If I'm in a drive thru or a parking lot I like to have my fogs on with my park lights WITHOUT my head lights/ DRLs.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:14 AM
AM To WDP In My Garage

Received 102 Likes on 97 Posts
Great write up
Old 11-22-2010, 10:24 AM

Thanks everyone!

Two quick things I thought of after:
1. I wrapped my relay (#7) that came with the harness with electrical tape.
2. The indicator light in the dash no longer comes on when you turn the fog lights on.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:59 AM
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
I bought the slim ballasts from ddm tuning and the relay harness as well. The only thing is, the harness they gave me has 2x #2 and #5 for you to plug in both sides of the factory plugs into each ballast. What do I do if I want to make them independent? Do i need another type of harness or can I just use one side of the plug? (Both sides have the blue wire)
Old 11-22-2010, 01:03 PM

^^^Hmm....I'm not sure. If possible could you take a pic of the harness and post it here or send me a pm with the pic? I'm very interested to see how your harness looks like.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:11 PM
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
I'll see if I can work on my car tomorrow at bestbuy while they install my viper alarm all day. I'm hoping I can take pics of it and fix it without taking the bumper off again.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:04 AM
Cruisin'

Sweet great write up was looking for this for awhile
Old 11-23-2010, 04:12 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
thanks for the writeup.

ok what's confusing me is, compared to the other HOWTO, you're using a new wiring harness here.

Here's what I have and want to do:

2008 base TL. I currently have a HID fog light setup using a new switch that I put in next to the mirror control on the dashboard.

What I want to do is use the STOCK fog light switch and existing stock harness to control 2 sets of angel eyes (2 for DRL and 2 for the headlight HIDs) and be able to turn it on/off at anytime (except, of course, when the car is off). I'm trying to figure out how to do that. I get that I'll be cutting the blue wire in the steering wheel stalk but beyond that my head starts to hurt... The other thread said the fog light relay is now inside the cabin instead of under the hood....

HMMM writing this I just had an epiphany. I could get another wiring harness and just hook them up to the LED angel eyes? hmm I've already got one heavy-duty wiring harness on the battery and barely got that one to fit on there. Not sure with two if the hood will close.

Anyone got any ideas??

Edit: Will that standard type of harness be good for lighting some LED halos? I assume so but just askin'... Looks like that makes the switch be able to work regardless of the heatlight/parking light status so that's what I might just end up doing.

Last edited by Cheval; 11-23-2010 at 04:21 PM. Reason: additional question
Old 11-23-2010, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Cheval
thanks for the writeup.

ok what's confusing me is, compared to the other HOWTO, you're using a new wiring harness here.

Here's what I have and want to do:

2008 base TL. I currently have a HID fog light setup using a new switch that I put in next to the mirror control on the dashboard.

What I want to do is use the STOCK fog light switch and existing stock harness to control 2 sets of angel eyes (2 for DRL and 2 for the headlight HIDs) and be able to turn it on/off at anytime (except, of course, when the car is off). I'm trying to figure out how to do that. I get that I'll be cutting the blue wire in the steering wheel stalk but beyond that my head starts to hurt... The other thread said the fog light relay is now inside the cabin instead of under the hood....

HMMM writing this I just had an epiphany. I could get another wiring harness and just hook them up to the LED angel eyes? hmm I've already got one heavy-duty wiring harness on the battery and barely got that one to fit on there. Not sure with two if the hood will close.

Anyone got any ideas??

Edit: Will that standard type of harness be good for lighting some LED halos? I assume so but just askin'... Looks like that makes the switch be able to work regardless of the heatlight/parking light status so that's what I might just end up doing.
Did the LED halo's come with a wiring harness? Do you have a picture of it? I've looked at a set for mine and think they come with a "inverter" that plugs into the halo's on one end and the other end is just a positive and negative wire.

LEDs draw less power so I think any regular harness would more than work. Can you send me a picture of the led harness that came with your angel eyes?

Remember the "negative wire" (#5) of the HID harness went to the blue wire on the stock factory headlight stalk. The "positive wire" (#5) went to fuse #11 in the kick panel. Fuse #32 is specifically for Accs. power. I used fuse #32 for power for both my headrest monitors, Navtool, and the remote wire to my amp. Hopefully this helps out some!
Old 11-24-2010, 09:43 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by donnieb83
Did the LED halo's come with a wiring harness? Do you have a picture of it? I've looked at a set for mine and think they come with a "inverter" that plugs into the halo's on one end and the other end is just a positive and negative wire.

LEDs draw less power so I think any regular harness would more than work. Can you send me a picture of the led harness that came with your angel eyes?

Remember the "negative wire" (#5) of the HID harness went to the blue wire on the stock factory headlight stalk. The "positive wire" (#5) went to fuse #11 in the kick panel. Fuse #32 is specifically for Accs. power. I used fuse #32 for power for both my headrest monitors, Navtool, and the remote wire to my amp. Hopefully this helps out some!

thanks for the reply!

Actually I don't have the angel eyes yet. I've been planning on going with JnC to do the new HID 85122+lens+AA+audi LEDs. I've been waiting on the HOWTO to get the stalk switch to work before actually proceeding with getting it done so I actually haven't seen what the AAs come with. I'm still not sure how I'm going to get the audi-LEDs to work. I want it so I can have either/or/both the AA/audi LEDs to work. Probably will just get the AAs to work for now and sometime in the future I'll mess with getting the audi's to work.

*off topic warning*
Fuse 32 will come in handy since you've told me it's for ACC. I've been looking at putting in a supplemental player at the bottom of the dash for like USB/SD card/HD radio/iPOD, probably an alpine or pioneer, so I'll probably just tap on that and figure out how it will get sound into the stock unit.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Cheval
thanks for the reply!

Actually I don't have the angel eyes yet. I've been planning on going with JnC to do the new HID 85122+lens+AA+audi LEDs. I've been waiting on the HOWTO to get the stalk switch to work before actually proceeding with getting it done so I actually haven't seen what the AAs come with. I'm still not sure how I'm going to get the audi-LEDs to work. I want it so I can have either/or/both the AA/audi LEDs to work. Probably will just get the AAs to work for now and sometime in the future I'll mess with getting the audi's to work.

*off topic warning*
Fuse 32 will come in handy since you've told me it's for ACC. I've been looking at putting in a supplemental player at the bottom of the dash for like USB/SD card/HD radio/iPOD, probably an alpine or pioneer, so I'll probably just tap on that and figure out how it will get sound into the stock unit.
Pm sent!
Old 01-14-2011, 08:46 PM
Cruisin'

Im stuck on step 6 where to you plug the ends of the wire 5
Old 01-15-2011, 09:56 AM

#5 consists of 2 wires that are together. One positive (mine was red, but the "example diagram" up top was blue) and one negative (black). Take the red wire to fuse #11 in the interior fuse box located next to the "dead pedal." The black will connect to the blue wire from the switch you disconnected from the steering wheel.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:13 PM
Cruisin'

Sweet thanks again
Old 01-16-2011, 05:59 PM

No prob.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:45 PM
Slythslyr

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
thanks for the DIY...just ordered the relay harness last night..now i will be able to install all this at once...A little off topic but does anyone know about the DRL LED lights from V-leds? im trying to get a set but not sure about the DRL module or the Relay harness, do i need both or 1 or none? Thanks for the great write up!!!
Old 01-24-2011, 06:45 PM

No problem. Below is a thread on Vleds DRL harness.
V-LED New DRL Harness
Old 01-24-2011, 07:39 PM
Slythslyr

Thanks Bro, I appreciate it. I will be using this DIY this weekend.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:33 PM
Slythslyr

Well, i used this to install my fogs today. I still have to hook up the wires on the steering harness but i ran and hooked up everything. Zip tied everything in place at the Foglights, One thing i was confused on but figured it out was the two wires that hooked up inside to the interior fuse box and steering console. I originally thought you had the relay inside the car but figured out it was outside near the battery so i had to extend the two wires and run them through the firewall to install them.. Thanks for the awesome write up Bro!!!
Old 01-30-2011, 06:52 PM

Haha....glad you got it working. Post some pics if you have some.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:08 AM
Slythslyr

Here is what my 3K HID kit from V-leds looks like, thanks to this DIY for the independent switch!!

Let me know what you think!
Old 02-21-2011, 02:09 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
What kit did you use and where did you buy it?
Old 02-21-2011, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by spcslyusarmy
Here is what my 3K HID kit from V-leds looks like, thanks to this DIY for the independent switch!!

Let me know what you think!
Very nice! Hehe....you should pull the DRL fuse.

Originally Posted by Grizzly Type S
What kit did you use and where did you buy it?
I went to Ebay and bought an H8 HID kit and H8 relay harness. I had both items shipped to my door for about $45. I dont remember the company of the HIDs. I think they are Xentec.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:54 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I plan on doing this, this weekend... Question though... What do you think the reason for the indicator light to not be working? I am willing to bet it may have to due with the stock relay... Maybe someone with some skill on how to read electrical mappings, maybe able to figure it out? I will find the info in "All Data"
Old 03-01-2011, 12:53 PM
10th Gear

Thank you for this DIY!
Old 03-01-2011, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by xtmslyy00
I plan on doing this, this weekend... Question though... What do you think the reason for the indicator light to not be working? I am willing to bet it may have to due with the stock relay... Maybe someone with some skill on how to read electrical mappings, maybe able to figure it out? I will find the info in "All Data"
I'm not sure why. As soon as you turn the headlights on the "drl" indicator light turns off.

Originally Posted by votainer
Thank you for this DIY!
Haha...no prob! If you search my user name I have a few more DIY's here and on I'm on facebook with the same user name with a plethora of pics of all my installs for our TL's....
Old 03-01-2011, 02:49 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
quick question if i want to just do the hids for foglights without independent switch basically adding them do i need a relay kit/harness? or just plug n play?
Old 03-01-2011, 02:54 PM

Yes the HID kits are plug and play and will work with all the cutting and splicing in the DIY, BUT they will only turn on when the headlights are turned on and will turn off when the high beams are on. That's how our cars are set up out the factory.

This DIY allows you to turn them on and off whenever you want. Personally I pulled the fuse for my drl and always leave my fogs on. Similar to the new 2010 Camaro's....

Last edited by 1islandparadise; 03-01-2011 at 02:56 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:00 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Currently doing this mod at the moment. What wire did you guys follow to go through the firewall? I am kinda confused on how to make the wires go from the engine bay to the interior.....HELP.

And that stupid "2M" plug is not coming out.....dammm (frustrated)
Old 03-01-2011, 04:13 PM

On your relay harness there will be a positive and negative wire. You will extend these wires. The positive (most probably red) will connect to fuse #11 in the interior and the negative (black wire) will connect to the dark blue wire from the "2M" connector.

Near the interior fuse panel is a large rubber grommet on the firewall. I used a screw driver and poked a hole through there.

If you have any more questions feel free to shoot me a PM. We'll git R done!
Old 03-01-2011, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by donnieb83
Yes the HID kits are plug and play and will work WITHOUT all the cutting and splicing in the DIY, BUT they will only turn on when the headlights are turned on and will turn off when the high beams are on. That's how our cars are set up out the factory.

This DIY allows you to turn them on and off whenever you want. Personally I pulled the fuse for my drl and always leave my fogs on. Similar to the new 2010 Camaro's....
fixed.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:41 PM
Mug
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
This is my setup. I did not do this DIY here because I had already run my own independent fog light wires. However, I did use the ground signal and stock fog switch for my fogs. I wanted to show what I have done with my DRLs. Instead of just unplugging the fuse, I used an accord fog light switch to control them.

When the switch is pushed in or "on", the DRLs are 100% stock unless the parking or headlights are on. The extra relay (in the middle of the diagram) is to turn off the DRLs if the parking/headlights are on, and to cut power to the green light on the Accord switch on the dash. 87a is grounded when 85 receives a 12v signal.

I still get the "DRL" light on my dash when they are off when the car thinks they should be on. I like this setup because in the winter, it's dark when I go to work, and dark when I come home. I turn my headlight switch to "off" when I park. I hate my DRLs turning on when I turn off my headlights just before turning off the car (if that makes sense).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: G-029: DIY '07-'08 3G TL Independent HID Fog Lights WITH Stock Switch