Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Funky Cast Iron Brake Dust Smell

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 03:17 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Funky Cast Iron Brake Dust Smell

So Last Sunday I did the rear brake job, Rotors and pads as they were squealing.......Cleaned everything up washed the e brake with brake cleaner....but the one this i noticed that there was a ton of rust on the brake caliper piston, cleaned it up as much as I could but still looked ugly dirty and then it was very very hard pushing them back in....I have done many a brake jobs and know what it feels like to push caliper piston...these ones were hard as a rock. Still managed to get them all the way in, but now after driving for ~50 miles I can smell the brake dust smell strong and the left driver side wheel/rotor and pads are super duper hot....Do you think my caliper are shot/hung and I need new ones...?? Are our cars rear calipers prone to failure......I have 175K miles on the ride...

Sandan
Old 08-22-2017, 03:28 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
I needed to replace all four of the calipers on my Accord in less than 150,000 miles; all four of them were hanging up just as you describe. The TL I just bought with only 114,000 miles on the clock has already had its calipers replaced (including the Brembo ones on the front).

I'd say there is a pretty good chance you need new rear calipers.
Old 08-22-2017, 03:32 PM
Intermediate

Thanks for the input....I ordered this pair on rockauto.....

More Information for POWER STOP S2588

Good buy.....

Sandan
Old 08-22-2017, 03:40 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
I like those; I may opt for them on my car when time time comes.

The only problem would be my black front Acura/Brembo calipers won't match the red rear PowerStop calipers. I think I'll survive.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:25 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by horseshoez
I like those; I may opt for them on my car when time time comes.

The only problem would be my black front Acura/Brembo calipers won't match the red rear PowerStop calipers. I think I'll survive.
I am in the same boat, Fronts are black and rears will be red, But Since the fronts are black and OEM , I will be replacing them a as well and RA has some nice brembo rebuilt which are sandblasted clean, will get those and paint them red as well to match the rears.....but till then we will staying alive with the color difference on the calipers...... .....completely OEM sport performance look......

Sandan
Old 08-23-2017, 08:27 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,582 Likes on 6,629 Posts
It's not uncommon