Sponsored by:

JMan's leather (04) which was replaced with the 05 style seat cover

Old 11-25-2004, 09:09 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
JMan's leather (04) which was replaced with the 05 style seat cover

Original Post by JMan:

"WOW - My District Parts and Service Manager came through

I spoke to the DPSM (District Parts and Service Manager) for my dealership and he said he would change my '04 front seats out for '05 front seats. We went over to the parts deparment together and he placed the order right in front of me. The only thing is he doesn't know if they are going to need different foam underneath, and if it will fit, but he is willing to try. Also, he is letting me replace mt crappy EL42 for TL-Z's. He told me to go to a local Firestone stone, have it done, and they would reimburse me for the difference in cost...."

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102139
Old 11-25-2004, 09:12 AM
Bears Rule!(Well, kinda')

I have butt prints worse than that, but I'm gonna hold off and see. I'm not too upset by 'em....never had leather before, so maybe I don't know what I'm missing...
Old 11-25-2004, 09:21 AM
GÜNnµ ¡Ï

Hey NOVICE.. sorry to ask. But is this thread for. Just to let people know what happened and to show how bad his seats were? Just curious. cus i had seen 2 threads with him stating this... Or you thinking up something to help everyone out with their seat situation?
Old 11-25-2004, 09:25 AM
Burning Brakes

Just to let people know. I am not interested in replacing my seats-but I do have to admit that his seat looks pretty bad (maybe because mine is parchment and it doesn't show that well). Sorry if you felt that this is redundant. JMan's original thread is getting longer and people often miss the point if something like pictures burried on the second page.
Old 11-25-2004, 09:29 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Novice
Just to let people know. I am not interested in replacing my seats-but I do have to admit that his seat looks pretty bad (maybe because mine is parchment and it doesn't show that well). Sorry if you felt that this is redundant. JMan's original thread is getting longer and people often miss the point if something like pictures burried on the second page.
Novie-
Thanks for posting...BTW, seats have NOT been replaced YET...still waiting for the parts to come in. My picture shows seats after 6 weeks and 1500 miles...
Old 11-25-2004, 12:35 PM
GÜNnµ ¡Ï

bro if you think his seats are bad. i am going to post pics .. i think they have the date on the digital pic. i baught my car in MARCH 17, 2004. so i will look for those pics. i think they were like 2 months into it.. and i am going to take one pic right now so u can see. i got ebony. maybe you can notice it more with my color like you said.. but give me like 30 miunts.
Old 11-25-2004, 12:51 PM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

Originally Posted by JMan
Novie-
Thanks for posting...BTW, seats have NOT been replaced YET...still waiting for the parts to come in. My picture shows seats after 6 weeks and 1500 miles...
just curious...
If you don't mind me asking... do you weight more than me ?
My seats don't look as bad, and I'm wondering if it's materials or pilot weight.

I weight 187lb
TL ia 1 year old and has 22,600 miles on it.
Old 11-25-2004, 01:06 PM
GÜNnµ ¡Ï

ok here are the pics. now if u are wondering about weight. i am 5-10 200lbs.

now this first pic is from JUNE.. mind you that i baught my car in MARCH.

This pic is from JUNE 22,2004.

And all these other pics are from today, November 25, 2004
at 13,000 miles.

Old 11-25-2004, 01:07 PM
GÜNnµ ¡Ï

And i dont even kow waht the F is that dark line on the right.. its like more worn out.. and that little mark its like wasted. But, i dont know. should they be like this. or what..
Old 11-25-2004, 01:12 PM
Burning Brakes

This is the worst looking seat I've ever seen in my life I hope you get a new one although considering the severity of the condition, your dealer might refuse to replace it for you.
Old 11-25-2004, 01:21 PM
GÜNnµ ¡Ï

ok but you see.. there is nothing out or the ordinary that i have done. its not like i jump on it or mis treat it.. i even condition it like 2 or 1 time a month.. So i dont know.. what the F.... Thats what i was thinking.. I know its going to be me against them. I know for a fact that i am not leaving my car out in the sun, or anything else for that matter other than sit and drive. I dont understand.. i am going to have to and ask to see what can be done..
Old 11-25-2004, 01:26 PM
I6

Do you use lexol on your seats?
Old 11-25-2004, 02:01 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by NOX 3.2
just curious...
If you don't mind me asking... do you weight more than me ?
My seats don't look as bad, and I'm wondering if it's materials or pilot weight.

I weight 187lb
TL ia 1 year old and has 22,600 miles on it.
Nope, less. I am 5'6" and 160lbs...
Old 11-25-2004, 02:40 PM
GÜNnµ ¡Ï

yes lexol.
Old 11-25-2004, 02:48 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by GunnmeTaLCURA04
ok but you see.. there is nothing out or the ordinary that i have done. its not like i jump on it or mis treat it.. i even condition it like 2 or 1 time a month.. So i dont know.. what the F.... Thats what i was thinking.. I know its going to be me against them. I know for a fact that i am not leaving my car out in the sun, or anything else for that matter other than sit and drive. I dont understand.. i am going to have to and ask to see what can be done..
I've got an 02 MDX (18k miles) with Ebony seats. People complained about the leather in those too. Mine today look much better than yours did in the first picture. I've never conditioned them or anything. Looks like the dealer or Acura need to show you some love. Might want to take it in, ask them what they think and tell them that your very disappointed. Might be a good way to start.

Mike
Old 11-25-2004, 11:39 PM
Acurazine Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is the worst looking seat I've ever seen in my life I hope you get a new one although considering the severity of the condition, your dealer might refuse to replace it for you.

Wow... They look like seats that have been in a 100k+ mile car. Acura should really work with you to get your leather problems resolved. That's just unacceptable.
Old 11-25-2004, 11:55 PM
Racer

Mine look like your 1st set of pics in June, and my car is 2 months old this weekend.
Old 11-26-2004, 10:04 AM
9th Gear

Gunnme...

You might want to fix your signature. Its "Dave Chappelle".

Also I'm assuming your a fan of the show? Seems alot of people are but I think his stand up comedy routines (pre show days) are highest of high comedy...You might want to check them out if you haven't already.

-Keyser
Old 11-26-2004, 01:35 PM
Drifting

WOW..those seats look horrible. The worst I've ever seen. Lately, I've been peeking inside every TL I see in parking lot's I happen to frequent looking for the severity of the problem..and you take the prize for the worst looking seat so far. Good luck getting them fixed...Acura should be ashamed of themselves for designing a seat so poorly in a 35K automobile.
Old 11-26-2004, 06:03 PM
GÜNnµ ¡Ï

well also i think the damn flash makes them look HORRIBLE!!!! but they are wrinkled. i will go by... and find out what happens.. i will let you guys know..
Old 11-26-2004, 11:17 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Yeah, the flash gives it that vinyl look that you wouldn't normally get when you look at it in person. It just looks a lot more worn that way.
Old 11-27-2004, 12:55 AM
Team Owner

Received 3,863 Likes on 2,030 Posts
Here's my drivers seat (tonight) after 1 year and 1 month of supporting my 200 lb. ass for about an hour a day. I think I've cleaned the seats once in that time (with Meguiars Gold Class Leather Cleaner/Conditioner).

Those obvious butt-prints definitely are not a problem in every car, and I would say that any car that looks like the other seats in this thread has a real defect in the seat.

Mike
Old 11-27-2004, 01:33 AM
.:KCCO:.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
im sick of this butt print thing....

people keep saying "im like a jillion pounds and my seats are fine... so stop complaining!"

ok people, check this out, its not about the weight.... im about 6'4 and 150lb. yup thats right, im a skinny ass.... with a pointy ass...... very pointy.... my seats look WAY worse then NOVICE's seats. and ive had my car for about 2 months about.... if not less... approx 2500 miles

so those people that have butt marks.... you got a pointy ass....

svt mike.... i guess your ass aint so pointy
Old 11-27-2004, 01:46 AM
Team Owner

Received 3,863 Likes on 2,030 Posts
Originally Posted by ayethetiense

svt mike.... i guess your ass aint so pointy
Well I'm 6'2" and 200 lbs, so it's not exactly a superwide either. I seriously think people who have their seats looking really bad got a bum seat - either the foam padding that's supposed to support the leather disintegrates or the leather itself stretches too much.

Mike
Old 11-27-2004, 06:14 AM
Drifting

Mike, I think your seats look OK so it's obvious that everybody doesn't have the buttprint problem to the same degree. All leather stretches, and the design of the '04 seat bottom makes the problem more noticable. Acura did the right thing by putting 3 seams in the '05 seat design. The leather is still going to stretch, but having 3 seams makes it less obvious. Has anyone actually gotten their seats replaced with the '05 design yet??? I hear lots of people talking about getting the new seat style, but so far, I haven't heard anyone actually getting it done yet.
Old 11-27-2004, 05:24 PM
Ex-Acura Service Manager

I wouldn't be surprised if the leather stretching is increased by the heat of the seat heaters. Just a thought.

As long as your car is within 4 years or 50,000 miles, I can't imagine ANY Acura dealer not agreeing to replace the seat cover. I've replaced many that didn't look nearly that bad.
Old 11-27-2004, 07:03 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluenote
I wouldn't be surprised if the leather stretching is increased by the heat of the seat heaters. Just a thought.

As long as your car is within 4 years or 50,000 miles, I can't imagine ANY Acura dealer not agreeing to replace the seat cover. I've replaced many that didn't look nearly that bad.
The leather gets much hotter when the car is parked in the sun on a hot day, so I do not see how the seat heater could come close to that. The area in question is large, the seats peforated, and the leather soft. That it stretches a bit should not be a surprise to anyone.

Bluenote: Based on your previous employment experience and expertise:
Doesn't AHM make a distinction between 1 year/12,000 miles and the 4 Year/50,000 mile coverage? Within the first year, they will normally cover just about anything - even wiper blades and other wear items, that are not covered after the first year. So if the stretching bothers someone enough that they would want the leather changed, I think they would get much less pushback in the 1st year than year 4.

As this is arguably not a defect at all, and has no effect on the car's safety, handling, comfort, emissions, etc, AHM is under no obligation to replace it at any time.

If the 2005 covers work out better in the long run, I might consider asking for a replacement, but it does not bother me to the point of insanity, as it seems to bother some. Plus, having seen what has happened to the surrounding surfaces after covers were replaced, I am hesitant to have a little cosmetic stretching turn into major scratches, gouges, and hassles. One has to pick one's fights, and this is a battle I may decide to pass on. Still mulling it over.

I am subscribing to this post, though, to track whether the 2005's are really a "fix" for this major "problem".
Old 11-27-2004, 07:11 PM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

I guess if you have a pointy ass like ayethetiense said;
you may benefit by using a cushion...

anyhow, keep us posted on seat changes by dealers,
we want to know what they can do for us...
Old 11-28-2004, 08:47 AM
Ex-Acura Service Manager

Road Rage-

My experience was I could do just about anything after 12,000 miles except alignment, tire balance & wiper insert replacement. Even adjustments, which were only 1 year/12k (may be more now-haven't red my warranty manual yet) I usually covered easily if I needed to. My Acura rep never worried about the cost, his only comment was "If it will make the customer happy, then go ahead & do it."

I would agree that many of the seat covers if fact weren't defective. Most were replaced due to scuffing wear on the side bolsters of the seatback. Try and tell a customer that they're dragging their body against it & wearing it out, and you'll have a fight on your hands. Regardless, Acura wants their customers to buy more Acuras, so they cheerfully replace a seat cover for this. Wear due to outside influence isn't really a defect, but in this case Acura should make an exception.

We also started to replace alot of seat covers on cars with side seat airbags due to stitching problems. The thread was designed specifically to allow a airbag to deploy through a seam, and having an upholstery shop restitch it was out of the question for safety reasons. Before the side airbags, I had an upholstery shop restitch seat covers, and even sew in replacement patch panels on side bolsters when they wore out.

I can't speak for any other dealers, but we found alot of work in seat cover replacement, mainly for appearance reasons, but some for stitching coming apart. I'd guess others did, too. But it's just a guess-as was the seat heater thing., I was just thinking out loud.

So, to make a long answer longer, if it was under 4 years or 50,000 miles & the customer asked, we replaced a seat cover for wear marks, cuts & abrasions, and thread pulling out.

Regardless of all this, here's my suggestion:

If you have a concern with your seat cover, take the car to your dealer and show it to the service department. Ask them "I don't like they way this seat cover looks, Can you replace it under warranty?" and see what they say. Demanding that they cover it may just lead to resistance, since nobody really likes to be forced into a corner.

If the advisor doesn't seem willing to help you, ask to speak to his manager. Ask politely. Be nice. Be diplomatic. Make them want to help you through your enthusiasm for the product, and your gentle demeanor.

It's true-you get more flies with honey than you do with vinegar.
Old 11-28-2004, 11:59 AM
GÜNnµ ¡Ï

Blue note thanks for the info. And everyone here for their input.. I am going this up comming week. To see whats happens.. But its true, i got friends with 1st gen Tl's and 2nd gens. and mine look like theirs already. And to think that 2 of my friends work in construction and just dont care of their cars and get in with tools and dirt and all. And mine still looks like theirs? damn... well. i know i have to go in there with a good attitude. I use to work retail and i know what a pain in the ass customer got. NOTHING. a phone # and thats that. But i will see. Thanks again guys.
Old 11-28-2004, 02:37 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Road Rage-

It's true-you get more flies with honey than you do with vinegar.
Excellent post - thx! Words of wisdom, often lost on the hotheads among us.
Old 11-29-2004, 09:12 AM
Drifting

GunnMeTaL...I'm also watching this post to see what happens. My dealer is waiting for a reply from the District Rep. to see what they're going to do with my covers. I don't want to end up with scratches, and a poor fitting seat cover just to get rid of buttprints..which really are not that bad. Also, thanks to Bluenote for his comments regarding how Acura deals with warranty issues...very good information...Thanks!!
Old 11-29-2004, 10:26 AM
Ex-Acura Service Manager

Hey, that's why I'm here. There seems to be a general distrust of service departments in this forum. I'm just trying to show we do in fact try to please our Acura owners.
Old 11-29-2004, 10:30 AM
Burning Brakes

Bluenote:

Do you work at an Acura dealer in Laurel? I am willing to drive up there to get all my service done if you guys do good job with our TLs.

I've been to Rosenthal (tire rotation caused 25 scratch marks on all 4 wheels) and Chevy Chase (numerous scratching marks on plastics).

Thanks.
Old 11-29-2004, 10:53 AM
Ex-Acura Service Manager

I used to. I now work at a Honda dealer.

I can give a contact name if you'd like to PM me. I think the technicians are all pretty responsible & caring, and are all top notch guys. We all make mistakes from time to time, but these guys don't mess up often.

There's been a fair amount of turnover in the service lane, but there's a guy or two I can recommend.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Road Rage
Excellent post - thx! Words of wisdom, often lost on the hotheads among us.
except for the fact that if you are too nice , you get stepped on and there is only so much abuse someone will take because they do not take you seriously. Ive been " the nice guy" plenty of times and spoken to people in diplomatic ways but to no avail because the are either too stupid and dumb or just don't care about you and keep repeating the same things. That is when diplomacy fails and I have to open up a can of whoop ass. There are PLENTY of these morons on the face of this earth
Old 11-29-2004, 11:55 AM
Team Nighthawk Director

Thanks for the info Bluenote. Points for you!
Old 11-29-2004, 11:59 AM
Ex-Acura Service Manager

New2004AcuraTLman-

If you have to go through all that, you're dealing with the wrong person, or wrong company. People who care won't make you act that way.

J Ride 81-points? what's that?
Old 11-29-2004, 12:15 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

New2004AcuraTLman-

If you have to go through all that, you're dealing with the wrong person, or wrong company. People who care won't make you act that way.

J Ride 81-points? what's that?
See those little green boxes under every person's name? Those are points, and they (loosely) represent your contributions and value to the community. Click on the scales to see what I'm talking about. If you give someone points generally that means you approve of their posts for their helpful nature.
Old 11-29-2004, 01:04 PM
Ex-Acura Service Manager

OH COOL!

I see I have 49 points. it was 33 earlier. I assumed the number of boxes would increase or something.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: JMan's leather (04) which was replaced with the 05 style seat cover