3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forgive me Azine..This will be long and expensive. Ugh..

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 03:00 AM
9 mpg.

Received 306 Likes on 249 Posts
Forgive me Azine..This will be long and expensive. Ugh..

Ok, so recently while washing my TL I thought to myself; "hmm, maybe I should organize all the paperwork and service records for the car as well..". So I did just that. All the service records are now perfectly organized in a folder that will soon be in my dash. .

Now, here's where it gets grim. My TL will be paid off in 13 months and I feel like getting out of it so I figured instead of modding it, why don't I just fix/maintain things and keep it running. So I decided to make a list of things that I feel are necessary to fix, replace, or do. Unfortunately, while creating the list I realized just how much I wanted to do, and the list just kept growing.

Now bear with me guys, the list turned out a lot longer than I expected..This is just a sample of it.

Priorities:
- My seat belt hook/bracket (Part B in this diagram) is broken. Is that an easy/cheap DIY? I hate it. Right now you can just pull up my rear seats. So ghetto . http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...oval20-112.jpg

- My rear view mirror is quite loose. Any quick fixes for that?

- My moon roof makes an odd sound, like it's struggling when I set it to tilt up. It makes an odd sound both tilting up and coming down, but it works fine.

- I had my CEL codes read about 2-3 months ago and the codes were P2251 (an open in the control circuit) and P0134 (no activity from O2 sensor). I don't know if the previous owner ever changed out the O2 sensors.. Should I just bite the bullet and replace them all, or does that code pertain to just one specific O2 sensor? By the way, how many O2 sensors does the TL have; 3 or 4?

- The memory seats keep forgetting my seating position.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:32 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Congrats on getting those records together, it takes quite a bit of time and effort once you start getting lazy and forget!

Those clips are a pain in the butt to get in and take out, but it's well worth it. I broke both the first time I took out the seat because I skimmed the directions. FYI push down on the cushion while pulling the tab out, that way it doesn't break!

There is a spring that can break inside the mirror that can cause it to move a little bit, there's a TSB for it!

The moon roof might need to be cleaned and lubricated.

The 02 sensor sounds like the wiring may be damaged or the sensor might be unplugged since the cars OBDII system is showing that it's an open circuit (no electrical flow) and that there is no response from the sensor. Check all of them and see that they are plugged in!
Old 08-05-2010, 11:25 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
Thats not a bad list at all. Mine was $2,000 worth of OEM parts to make it perfect again and I'm good about upkeep. I've decided to wait till its paid off in Feb.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:30 PM
9 mpg.

Originally Posted by csmeance
Those clips are a pain in the butt to get in and take out, but it's well worth it. I broke both the first time I took out the seat because I skimmed the directions. FYI push down on the cushion while pulling the tab out, that way it doesn't break!

There is a spring that can break inside the mirror that can cause it to move a little bit, there's a TSB for it!

The moon roof might need to be cleaned and lubricated.

The 02 sensor sounds like the wiring may be damaged or the sensor might be unplugged since the cars OBDII system is showing that it's an open circuit (no electrical flow) and that there is no response from the sensor. Check all of them and see that they are plugged in!
Thanks CSMEANCE, feels to good to be organized. Plus I'd like to be able to just lay out everything I have in perfect order in front of a potential buyer.

How do I take the broken clips out though?

Ok, I'll check if the spring is broken!

What do I need to do/use to clean and lubricate it?

**This is what I really am concerned about, how do I check the o2 Sensors and wiring?? The TL is my first car and the first car that I've seriously worked on so I'm trying to learn step by step.

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Thats not a bad list at all. Mine was $2,000 worth of OEM parts to make it perfect again and I'm good about upkeep. I've decided to wait till its paid off in Feb.
Oh man, haha. You have no idea. This is just a part of my list. I'll post the whole thing in a few minutes.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:33 PM
9 mpg.

"TL Issues/Promblems/Complaints"

Exterior:
- Rear bumper sticks out below the tail-lights.

Interior:
- Rear deck rattle with stock sub-woofer.
- Seat-belt rattle/back seat rattle?
- back seat clip/bracket is broken.
- Rear View Mirror loose
- 3rd Brake light loose/rattle
- Some steering wheel lights are out
- Some console lights are out
- The sun-roof makes an odd noise when tilting up/down

Trunk:
- Need to buy new black screws (4) for the trunk liner under the stock sub and speakers.

Engine/Engine Bay:
- Need to buy a battery cover for the OEM look
- Code P2251 - an open in the control circuit
- Code P0134 - no activity from O2 sensor

Transmission:
- 3x3 Flush with Redline D4 ATF
- 3rd and 4th gear solenoids

Electronics:
- The seat memory forgets my seating position when adjusted
- Need to buy a new inline fuse
- Need to buy a new Line out converter

Suspension/Frame/Brakes:
- Find out if the rear left sub-frame is bad or not. 2 Mechanics disagree..
- Rear Rotors.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:50 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My moonroof does the same...

My moonroof performs exactly as it should, but tilting up includes an odd rubbing sound (like the car is about to transform). Similar noise when it's closing from the tilted position, but it's not as loud. Hope lubricating works, but I have no idea which parts are producing the noise! I see trial and error in the near future.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:55 PM
9 mpg.

Originally Posted by babyowe
My moonroof performs exactly as it should, but tilting up includes an odd rubbing sound (like the car is about to transform). Similar noise when it's closing from the tilted position, but it's not as loud. Hope lubricating works, but I have no idea which parts are producing the noise! I see trial and error in the near future.
BO - (lol) yeah mine goes up/down/back/forward no problem however, it sounds like it will transform. hahah. That is the best description for the noise it makes.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
damn, how many miles are on your car?
Old 08-05-2010, 06:30 PM
9 mpg.

Originally Posted by snake134
damn, how many miles are on your car?
Almost 107k.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:06 AM
9 mpg.

Messed with the wires behind the valve cover yesterday and I noticed today that my CEL went away. haha. I guess that's a good thing.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by Type-DM 2004 TL
Thanks CSMEANCE, feels to good to be organized. Plus I'd like to be able to just lay out everything I have in perfect order in front of a potential buyer.

How do I take the broken clips out though?

Ok, I'll check if the spring is broken!

What do I need to do/use to clean and lubricate it?

**This is what I really am concerned about, how do I check the o2 Sensors and wiring?? The TL is my first car and the first car that I've seriously worked on so I'm trying to learn step by step.

Oh man, haha. You have no idea. This is just a part of my list. I'll post the whole thing in a few minutes.
I grabbed the edges of it with a big pair of pliers and pulled up. It took a bit of moving the pliers around to get a good grip on the broken ones. THe new ones I put one end in and pounded the other one in with my hand/wrist.

correction, the spring gets warped, it doesn't actually break, the TSB is 06-012 and can be found in the 3G garage-> TSB Info

Some people just use a rag to clean it and then some white lithium grease. I suggest you ask a tech at you local dealer what they use to lubricate parts such as the sunroof track before you do it.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:40 AM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
Originally Posted by Type-DM 2004 TL
"TL Issues/Promblems/Complaints"

Exterior:
- Rear bumper sticks out below the tail-lights.

Interior:
- Rear deck rattle with stock sub-woofer.
- Seat-belt rattle/back seat rattle?
- back seat clip/bracket is broken.
- Rear View Mirror loose
- 3rd Brake light loose/rattle
- Some steering wheel lights are out
- Some console lights are out
- The sun-roof makes an odd noise when tilting up/down

Trunk:
- Need to buy new black screws (4) for the trunk liner under the stock sub and speakers.

Engine/Engine Bay:
- Need to buy a battery cover for the OEM look
- Code P2251 - an open in the control circuit
- Code P0134 - no activity from O2 sensor

Transmission:
- 3x3 Flush with Redline D4 ATF
- 3rd and 4th gear solenoids

Electronics:
- The seat memory forgets my seating position when adjusted
- Need to buy a new inline fuse
- Need to buy a new Line out converter

Suspension/Frame/Brakes:
- Find out if the rear left sub-frame is bad or not. 2 Mechanics disagree..
- Rear Rotors.
If you haven't done it, you'll have to spend a lot more.

The 105k service. TB, Water Pump, Drive belts, Plugs, etc...
Old 08-07-2010, 10:03 AM
Fearless DIY Guy

Received 373 Likes on 206 Posts
Originally Posted by TheChamp531

+1

...yeah...I am going to be these items have not been addressed. The TL calls for a battery of repairs at 100k as Champ mentioned, many of the items mentioned here are 'small stuff', the 100k service should really make a jump on the list.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:43 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
all the electric fixes are going to be expensive. The amount of money you spend to fix those things wont equal out to the amount of money you can get for your car. For example, if you spend $1000 to fix your seat and whatever else, it doesnt warrant you to up the price when you sell it. I think you should just leave it as is and advertise those minor problems when you sell it.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:24 PM
9 mpg.

Originally Posted by TheChamp531

Originally Posted by DeathMetal
+1

...yeah...I am going to be these items have not been addressed. The TL calls for a battery of repairs at 100k as Champ mentioned, many of the items mentioned here are 'small stuff', the 100k service should really make a jump on the list.
Already got the 105k done guys, but good lookin' out.

Originally Posted by redeyedwolf
all the electric fixes are going to be expensive. The amount of money you spend to fix those things wont equal out to the amount of money you can get for your car. For example, if you spend $1000 to fix your seat and whatever else, it doesnt warrant you to up the price when you sell it. I think you should just leave it as is and advertise those minor problems when you sell it.
Yeah I was thinking that as well. I just want it to be in good condition. I wouldn't want to sell someone a car in BS condition but, I agree. I won't be fixing the memory seating cause it only forgets once in a while anyways.

*By the way, my CEL came back on today.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:37 PM
9 mpg.

If you guys knew that you were going to sell the car in 1-1.5 years, what would you guys do on my list above? I'm trying to spend money wisely. I don't want to invest too much in something if I'll end up getting rid of it.