Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

first time Acura buyer 04 acura tl help

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 09:21 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation first time Acura buyer 04 acura tl help

Hey yall, im a first time acrua buyer and need some help!

I went a viewed a 2004 Acrua TL model with a 6sp manual transmission, nice looking car, he told me the wrong miles (167k) but was actually 177,000 miles, 30% oil left, no CEL, idled smoothed and shifted really well, didnt noticed any slipping of the clutch, noticed when i turned a sharp left i head a faint weird noise like a wheel was hitting wheel well or something? not sure , did need rear brake pads, front right tire, headliner was falling, and the LED screen above the nav wasnt working? it was just black so idk if it wasnt on or what, ut he wanted $3800,got him down to $3400 then he said hed take $3100, clean title and was a small dealership in charlotte NC,now it did run good, had an induction kit, didnt see any oil leaks, oil dipstick looked low? but unsure, didnt see no milky looking oil, exhaust tips were dark looking, and the coolant looked really green, which i assumed was good, im not sure if this would be a steal? or to avoid, the dealer kinda annoyed me saying he just got it, its low miles and he never even checked the car over, (No oil changes or flushes etc) just had it inspected and it passed is all hes done since hes had it... so does this sound like a good car? ive never owned an Acura, i come from a ford ranger truck/ V-Dub cars! so this would be my first acura and i just really need it to be reliable to get me to and from work and possibly beach trips! but havent a lot of money right now for something GREAT!

The Paint also looked weird like very fuzzy like fish eye, and some parts on the side skirts were coming off but was still black underneath so not sure if it ever had a bad paint job or what!

Pros:
Ran smooth
no high idles
shifted smoothly / all gears worked
clutch wasnt slipping
lights, windows, sun roof all worked
$3100 with a clean title

Cons:
Paint was fish eye like
unsure if oil was low or not
No service records from dealer
didnt feel like 270hp when i was hitting 4.5k rpms but was quick
needs front right tire
needs rear brake pads, noisey and looked low!
few small things missing/ broke
was told 167k but actual mileage is 177k

so what yall think good buy? i put about 12k on a car a year!
Old 07-04-2018, 09:25 PM
Advanced

also has a cracked dash!

heres some pics of it attached...

Old 07-04-2018, 09:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 109 Posts
IMO: Two things, I would recommend. One, take the car to any Honda/Acura Dealer, and ask for a pre-purchase inspection. Order a Carfax report. I would be concerned, about the condition of the paint. The other "cons" you listed, seem normal, for any 14 year old car, with 177K, except for the cracked dash, that's a 3G TL thing. These cars, especially the 6 speeds can make into great rides, and the price sounds reasonable, if the car is REAL!
Old 07-04-2018, 11:21 PM
Advanced

I believe the car is a real TL but the paint and all made me wonder if it had an accident or someone just decided to try and paint it lol, it isn’t bad but it isn’t flawless neither, I did however like the Acura in general as I’ve never been in ken or driven one, I figured for the price o could t really complain but I also don’t want something that will blow up a day later lol and I guessed the manual transmission will last longer than the autos
Old 07-05-2018, 12:09 AM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
If you end up buying the car, do yourself and the transmission a favor and drain the MTF out and replace it with ACDelco Synchromesh Friction Modified.
Old 07-05-2018, 08:58 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
keep in mind you have another 30k miles before the next 105k services and the clutch job on these car can be expensive (labor) to fix. Other than that is a solid car especially its a 6MT and part relative cheap even OEM.

I would spend $160 for PPI and go over with the mechanic while you have the car on a lift that way you will know what you getting into. BTW the car actually has 258 HP per 2006 SAE corrected standard.

At 177k miles most of the original part is coming near the end of it useful life so be ready when it goes out. I would obtain a Carfax and see the history of the car how it was maintained.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:31 AM
Advanced

Awesome, you guys are very informative! I decided to walk away from it as I think it wasn’t looked after properly, no records for service through out the years or anything! I am looking at others around 130k-158k mileage’s manual 6sp TL’s from 04-06.. I’m in contact with a few so once I view more I will defiantly get on this post and post the vehicles for opinions. Y’all are much more experienced with these cars than me! So all the advice given is appreciated for sure
Old 07-05-2018, 10:47 AM
Latent car nut

Here is one data-point; I had very similar buying criteria to yours when I was shopping last year. Basically I was looking for a bone stock, cosmetically clean, and well maintained 2004-2006 6MT; I ended up looking at many dozens of cars over a five month period and finally pulled the trigger on a 2006 Royal Blue Pearl 6MT with 114,000 miles on the clock for $10,000. Yes I paid over what was deemed to be "market value" for my car, but after looking at so many beat, slammed, or neglected turkeys, I was happy to write the check.
Old 07-05-2018, 01:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by horseshoez
Here is one data-point; I had very similar buying criteria to yours when I was shopping last year. Basically I was looking for a bone stock, cosmetically clean, and well maintained 2004-2006 6MT; I ended up looking at many dozens of cars over a five month period and finally pulled the trigger on a 2006 Royal Blue Pearl 6MT with 114,000 miles on the clock for $10,000. Yes I paid over what was deemed to be "market value" for my car, but after looking at so many beat, slammed, or neglected turkeys, I was happy to write the check.
MY SENTIMENTS, EXACTLY! You have to look at a lot of JUNK, before you stumble on a REAL car! Once you locate that elusive animal, you can throw the ( BOOK ) out the window, assuming, the seller, knows what they have. Unfortunately, few people, today, properly maintain their vehicles, and even fewer, keep records. I searched, for 14 months,for my 03 TLS,and refused to settle, for less than a White Diamond Pearl / Ebony Trim , matching horseshoez's criteria. And yes, I did pay a premium for it. Now, four years, and 50K later, I still love the car, and it still looks, and runs just like the day I bought it!
The following users liked this post:
horseshoez (07-05-2018)
Old 07-05-2018, 03:14 PM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 441 Posts
I don't "keep" records these days either...too much clutter for me to keep all of that. However, my TL has been serviced for the past 150k miles by my local Acura or Honda dealer, so there are options available for records.

My previous cars...I kept some "records", but keeping receipts and such was just a PITA that I didn't feel worth the time. Even without records, cars at this age can generally give away how they have been maintained over the years. Neglect shows by this point in time.
Old 07-05-2018, 07:42 PM
Advanced

Found another, what you guys think?

Pros : 04 TL 140k mileage runs and shifts good 6sp trans, doesn’t have the navigation tho? And has wood finish instead of the carbon fiber look, $3400 is the dealers lowest, does have a salvage title tho? They aren’t sure why? Everything works fine and runs fine.. hell all I need is a year out of it! 🤣
Old 07-05-2018, 07:44 PM
Advanced

What you guys think?
Old 07-05-2018, 07:46 PM
Advanced

Old 07-05-2018, 08:18 PM
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts
The trunk has been worked on. At the very least it was debadged and then the emblems put back on wrong.
Old 07-05-2018, 08:20 PM
Advanced

You think so man? What makes you think that? Maybe that’s why it has a salvage title? Hmmm could just of been a little rear ended fender bender then?
Old 07-05-2018, 08:25 PM
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts
The picture shows: TL on the left and ACURA on the right. That’s backwards.
Look at the pictures of the first TL you posted. Open the trunk and feel inside the quarter panels for paint edges. If the the quarter panels and trunk have been painted, there probably is a faint tape line on them or overspray.
You can also open the black doors and check on the inside of the dog leg (the part where the striker is).

Last edited by Joecop67; 07-05-2018 at 08:28 PM.
Old 07-05-2018, 08:55 PM
Latent car nut

Gear shift knob is hosed up.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:01 PM
Advanced

Good eye man! Never noticed that, I will check all that out and look under make sure it’s all good, I did notice the shift knob, I figured it was one of those shitty aem knobs, I think the stock one is nice if I got the car I’d throw the oem back on..

Originally Posted by Joecop67
The picture shows: TL on the left and ACURA on the right. That’s backwards.
Look at the pictures of the first TL you posted. Open the trunk and feel inside the quarter panels for paint edges. If the the quarter panels and trunk have been painted, there probably is a faint tape line on them or overspray.
You can also open the black doors and check on the inside of the dog leg (the part where the striker is).
Old 07-06-2018, 07:02 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Nicknackzz13
Found another, what you guys think?

Pros : 04 TL 140k mileage runs and shifts good 6sp trans, doesn’t have the navigation tho? And has wood finish instead of the carbon fiber look, $3400 is the dealers lowest, does have a salvage title tho? They aren’t sure why? Everything works fine and runs fine.. hell all I need is a year out of it! 🤣
IMO: The salvage title, would bother me. Your concern, re: no GPS, on these models, GPS is somewhat antiquated, and not very efficient, anyway. If the car checks-out, and Your only looking to get a year out of it, I would probably go for it. Generally, these are very nice, reliable cars, especially, the 6 Speeds. You may want to run a Carfax, which could provide some insight, on the Salvage Title.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:54 AM
Suzuka Master

Salvage title doesn't mean the car automatically bad, Salvage title car can be good as clean title car IF repaired correctly. However if they repair it correctly then the price won't be much cheaper than a clean title car, remember not all salvage car has collision as recent Harvey storm in Texas leaving a lot of flooded car circulate in the US used car market.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:57 AM
Advanced

Does anyone know of a free vin checker? So I could see why it has a salvage title?

i tried looking online and found two websites saying no stolen and no salvage history found..so maybe it’s a salvage rebuilt title? Unsure... anyone know a good website that’s free to check the vin?
Old 07-06-2018, 09:57 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by truonghthe
Salvage title doesn't mean the car automatically bad, Salvage title car can be good as clean title car IF repaired correctly. However if they repair it correctly then the price won't be much cheaper than a clean title car, remember not all salvage car has collision as recent Harvey storm in Texas leaving a lot of flooded car circulate in the US used car market.
Your correct. However, any salvage titled car, IMO., is ALWAYS, a red flag! ( " However if they repair it correctly " ) I have several acquaintances, who buy, salvage title cars, mainly, for resale. Without exception, they ALL SKIMP, on repairs, doing just enough, to get by! Personally, unless, I knew the extent of the damage, and the person making the repairs, I would never buy a SALVAGE TITLE vehicle, regardless, of the price!
Old 07-06-2018, 10:15 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by frankjnjr
Your correct. However, any salvage titled car, IMO., is ALWAYS, a red flag! ( " However if they repair it correctly " ) I have several acquaintances, who buy, salvage title cars, mainly, for resale. Without exception, they ALL SKIMP, on repairs, doing just enough, to get by! Personally, unless, I knew the extent of the damage, and the person making the repairs, I would never buy a SALVAGE TITLE vehicle, regardless, of the price!
I agree with the statement above.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:01 PM
Advanced

Well guys I went to Greensboro NC ( a long drive from me) to see a 04 Acura TL-s 6sp and she ran great shifted great! Ac and heat work all the good stuff worked, few dings and little things here and there, he wanted $4500 and I can say I got him way below that, nearly a grand lower than what he was asking, or does however have a salvage rebuilt title, due to a rear door being damaged and it’s besn repaired and looks pretty damn good.. has twin cherry bombs on the back tho lol they sound alright but go quiet in higher gears which is awesome.. apparently has $280” wheels and tires (he gave me the receipts) so I took it home! Little over a 2 hour drive and she done good, smooth quiet no weird noises or bangs or creaks, but I have a few questions...

there is a DVD player that looks like a radio on the trunk in a little compartment?? Wtf?! Lol do these Acura’s come with that? Also the abs light is on! And I was curious if it would be a biggy? Brakes worked actually perfect, stopped on a damn dime (ALSO I BELIEVE IT ISNT A TRUE TYPE S, guy thought it wasn’t either just a TL)

ibe thrown up a few pics of it.. first Acura car ever.. hope it’ll be a good car
Old 07-07-2018, 10:28 AM
Latent car nut

The Type-S for the 3G TL were only 2007 and 2008 model years; that said, the 6MT models have a lot of components in common with the Type-S, and even more components which are exclusive to the 6MT models which are more robust or "stiffer" compared to the 2004-2006 models with automatic transmissions.
Old 07-07-2018, 11:00 AM
Advanced

That’s what I thought, the guy I got the car off said the same he thinks the TL-s was 07/08 models, I’ll have to remove that s badge! Hahaha, cleaned it up, she looks good for what I paid.. any opinions on what oil to use?
Old 07-07-2018, 03:07 PM
Latent car nut

That’s what I thought, the guy I got the car off said the same he thinks the TL-s was 07/08 models, I’ll have to remove that s badge! Hahaha, cleaned it up, she looks good for what I paid.. any opinions on what oil to use?
Oil is like religion, use whichever brand you worship. As for the grade, the Owner's Manual calls for 5W-20 which means anything 0W-20 or 5W-20 is recommended.
Old 07-07-2018, 03:48 PM
Advanced

Oil is like religion, use whichever brand you worship. As for the grade, the Owner's Manual calls for 5W-20 which means anything 0W-20 or 5W-20 is recommended.

yup! 5w20 is what I got, i like Mobil 1 or castrol so I got some 5w20 castrol full syn oil along with a Mobil 1 filter.. I can’t believe how small the oil filters are?!! I come from a truck / Volkswagen background on cars so I’m use to the huge oil filters lol..

should these cars burn any oil?

I change oil oil on my vehicles every 5k miles
Old 07-07-2018, 04:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Every time I see someone paint red caliper, I would gladly runaway from their car.
Old 07-07-2018, 05:07 PM
Latent car nut

yup! 5w20 is what I got, i like Mobil 1 or castrol so I got some 5w20 castrol full syn oil along with a Mobil 1 filter.. I can’t believe how small the oil filters are?!! I come from a truck / Volkswagen background on cars so I’m use to the huge oil filters lol..

should these cars burn any oil?

I change oil oil on my vehicles every 5k miles
Running fully synthetic oil in your J32 is a good thing and it is certainly good enough for well beyond 10,000 miles; changing every 5,000 is like throwing away good money (and good oil).
Old 07-08-2018, 02:10 PM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 441 Posts
there is a DVD player that looks like a radio on the trunk in a little compartment?? Wtf?! Lol do these Acura’s come with that? Also the abs light is on! And I was curious if it would be a biggy? Brakes worked actually perfect, stopped on a damn dime
No, there shouldn't be a DVD player looking thing in the trunk...that car doesn't have NAV. Although it looks like from the pics it has an aftermarket stereo anyways...which means it could be tied to that.

ABS light...it could be many things. You need to get the codes read to find out what is angry.

As for oil...as others have stated, just run what ever flavor you like and follow the MID. Generally the J32 doesn't burn oil...it isn't unheard of...just isn't very common.
Old 07-09-2018, 01:29 PM
Advanced

Was cleaning and driving car today, noticed there is two lights in the dashboard that are covered with black tape, did not even notice this until now!!! Anyone know what they are?? One started illuminate above the tape and the other is below the oil light
Old 07-09-2018, 02:14 PM
Latent car nut

The light above the battery light is the Supplemental Restraint System Indicator, and the one below the oil light is the Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) System Indicator.
Old 07-09-2018, 02:20 PM
Advanced

The light above the battery light is the Supplemental Restraint System Indicator, and the one below the oil light is the Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) System Indicator.
okay so the top one is the SRS airbag light? Idk of the vsa button works? Maybe that’s why it’s covered I pressed it and didn’t see no light now I know why, cause it’s clbered in black tape!!! Damnit! Not really worried about that one, but the srs or airbag light that’s covered is kinda scary? Any ideas how is figure out why it’s on? Or how to turn it off 🤭
Old 07-09-2018, 02:27 PM
Latent car nut

Probably the best course of action is to have the codes read on your car. My 2001 Accord had the SRS light pop a few years ago and it turned out to be a faulty seat belt receiver for the Driver's seat. The new receiver was something like $50 and a pretty easy installation. That same accord had the traction control system (precursor to the VSA system) pop as well; turned out to be a wheel sensor (which was also pretty inexpensive to replace).
Old 07-09-2018, 02:30 PM
Advanced

Yeah the vsa light is probably on cause of the abs light? Abs light is on too, I ain’t too worried I believe it’s just a sensor I’ll get fixed at some point, but airbag light is more important to me anyway, so gonna have to find a abs airbag scanner and see what the codes are! Wonder if any auto parts store rent them!
Old 07-09-2018, 02:34 PM
Latent car nut

You can take your car to AutoZone and have the codes read for free.

And yes, if I recall correctly, the ABS light was on at the same time as the TCS light; both were fixed by a new sensor.

One more thing to consider, until you get the wheel sensor fixed and the VSA and ABS lights are out, your car many not pass your state's annual inspection.

Last edited by horseshoez; 07-09-2018 at 02:36 PM.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:23 PM
2017 TLX TECH V6

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey yall, im a first time acrua buyer and need some help!

I went a viewed a 2004 Acrua TL model with a 6sp manual transmission, nice looking car, he told me the wrong miles (167k) but was actually 177,000 miles, 30% oil left, no CEL, idled smoothed and shifted really well, didnt noticed any slipping of the clutch, noticed when i turned a sharp left i head a faint weird noise like a wheel was hitting wheel well or something? not sure , did need rear brake pads, front right tire, headliner was falling, and the LED screen above the nav wasnt working? it was just black so idk if it wasnt on or what, ut he wanted $3800,got him down to $3400 then he said hed take $3100, clean title and was a small dealership in charlotte NC,now it did run good, had an induction kit, didnt see any oil leaks, oil dipstick looked low? but unsure, didnt see no milky looking oil, exhaust tips were dark looking, and the coolant looked really green, which i assumed was good, im not sure if this would be a steal? or to avoid, the dealer kinda annoyed me saying he just got it, its low miles and he never even checked the car over, (No oil changes or flushes etc) just had it inspected and it passed is all hes done since hes had it... so does this sound like a good car? ive never owned an Acura, i come from a ford ranger truck/ V-Dub cars! so this would be my first acura and i just really need it to be reliable to get me to and from work and possibly beach trips! but havent a lot of money right now for something GREAT!

The Paint also looked weird like very fuzzy like fish eye, and some parts on the side skirts were coming off but was still black underneath so not sure if it ever had a bad paint job or what!

Pros:
Ran smooth
no high idles
shifted smoothly / all gears worked
clutch wasnt slipping
lights, windows, sun roof all worked
$3100 with a clean title

Cons:
Paint was fish eye like
unsure if oil was low or not
No service records from dealer
didnt feel like 270hp when i was hitting 4.5k rpms but was quick
needs front right tire
needs rear brake pads, noisey and looked low!
few small things missing/ broke
was told 167k but actual mileage is 177k

so what yall think good buy? i put about 12k on a car a year!
This would scare me. This is a 14 y.o. car with known issues and no doubt some you don't. I would walk.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:42 PM
Safety Car

Received 856 Likes on 704 Posts
Warning lights covered with black tape? Ruuuuuuuuun
Old 07-15-2018, 10:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 648 Likes on 349 Posts
OP can't run. He bought the car