Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fan of Paintless Dent Removal

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 07:45 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Fan of Paintless Dent Removal

Took my car today to a guy who does paintless dent removal. I had about a dime sized dent on the driver's side rear door near the front, and two dents on the backside of the trunk lid (still not sure how you can get dents on the trunk lid up near the spoiler). The dents on the trunk were both up near the top where the trunk lid juts out and were very noticeable due to the change in direction of the sheetmetal and the way the light reflects off that part of the trunk. One of the dents was about 2 inches wide, the other smaller but deeper. He was able to make the dent on the door and the larger dent on the trunk lid disappear completely. The smaller but deeper dent is about 90% gone, and is much less noticeable. Woohoo!

Obviously not for every dent, but definitely a fan now.
Old 06-15-2017, 07:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,584 Likes on 6,630 Posts
Heck yeah!!! PDR FTW!
Old 06-20-2017, 06:34 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have an 04 with lots of hail damage hoping to get them fixed some day. Money is tight.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:36 PM
Advanced

The guy that did my car said hail damaged cars are a big part of his business.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:21 AM
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
Debating whether or not to have some PDR done to my car. I have one door ding on each side of the car, the hood has a dent (albeit hard to notice), trunk has a bunch of issues (only noticeable at the right angles), and the piece that runs from the A to C pillars have dents near the C-pillar on either side.

I haven't looked into cost, but do you mind me asking how much you paid for the work you had done? I have other priorities for spending right now, but I am curious on cost.

Can I cut down on the costs if I remove panels prior to the work? I'd prefer to remove them anyways so they aren't damaged.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:40 PM
Advanced

Not sure I can post pricing on here, so I will send you a pm.

As far as prep work, the guy who did my PDR worked from the back on the 2 dents on the trunk lid and the rear driver's side door. On the trunk lid he removed the inner trim panel down most of the way to get at the two dents that were on the rear of the lid. On the door he slid down a shield between the outer dew wipe and the glass to allow the tool to get at the dent without removing the inner panel.

As I said, the dent on the door is gone completely as well as one of the dents on the trunk lid. The other is almost gone. You would have to look at it from just the right angle to see it. There was also a dent on the each side of the rear door jambs. He wasn't able to get at those from behind, so he glued a tab onto the dents and used a dent puller to make those look better. Not completely gone, about 60 percent better than before.

I would talk to your guy first before removing any panels. He may be able to get at the dents without having you needing to remove the panels. But I'm sure that if any panels do need removing, it would save you money doing it yourself. And I can see why you would rather remove them yourself. Maybe you could take some pics of the dents (easier said than done) and e-mail them to him so he can give you an idea of how hard it might be to remove them?