Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-173: REAR seat heaters INSTALLED :)

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 08:19 PM
Acura Cert MASTER TECH

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
F-173: REAR seat heaters INSTALLED :)

Yes, you read that right. I installed seat heaters in the rear seats of my 07 TL-S Now why would I do something like that? My friends joked around a few times since it started getting cold in November that "an Acura should have rear heated seats". I didn't take it too seriously, but the idea started to catch on. Plus, I didn't really find anything about anyone attempting this before, so I figured why the heck not?

P.S. - This is going to be a long post...Looking back, I tried not to get overly detailed otherwise it would be painfully long. Right now it's just annoying long

So where do I start? Parts first, I guess. And sorry, I left my paperwork at work so I don't have part #s right now, but can easily list them if needed. My goal was to use as much OEM stuff as possible. This included: OEM seat heater relay, OEM seat heater switches (left and right), OEM seat heaters (TL-S and RDX), and OEM relay holder. Lots of other misc OEM connectors were used as well.

Started by of course removing the back seats. Then taking the seat covers off. The bottom ones were pretty easy, lots of hog rings though. TL-S front seat bottoms fit the rear seats almost perfectly. It's like Acura thought about this from the factory lol. After putting them back together, removed the seat covers of the backs. RDX front seat bottoms fit those, though not as well. My measurements were correct, but I hadn't realized that the bottom section of the heater itself was as long as it ended up being, so I had to double it over (fold it over) to fit properly. Added a shop rag between the folds so it didn't heat up too quickly/overheat, and or short out.

Now as I mentioned, taking measurements was a big factor in deciding which heaters would work. By measurements, I mean measuring the distances between each crease/hold down in the seat leathers. For those of you who work for Acura, etc, or have had your leather off, you know what I mean. I had to find seat heaters that would be the proper distances so they could be installed on the foam correctly, and go in the valleys where the hog rings/velcro are. As said about, TL-S front bottom seat heaters fit TL-S rear seat bottoms, and RDX (trim level doesn't matter) front seat bottom heaters fit TL-S rear seat backs (though not perfectly, but it's the closest to it).

After all that was finished, it was time for wiring. Now let me say first off I borrowed/used NO WIRING from the factory front seat heaters. Starting at the fuse box, fuse 31 is empty. It also only is powered in on/start, much like the OEM seat heaters are. Next you need to run power to both sides of the relay. I installed a 10 amp inline fuse for the power side of the relay, and a 30 amp inline fuse for the seat heater power side of the relay. Factory is 7.5 amp power side of relay and 20 amp seat heater power side of relay. I went a tad higher since technically there are only three seat heaters factory, and I was installing four.

The relay was mounted into a factory relay holder, and then wiring was run back to the switches. The wiring itself was run under the steering column area (right above the plastic trim piece above the pedals), and then run on the left side of the center console (by the vents for the rear passengers). At this point, the reach the switches, which are located in the fold out "not an ashtray" at the rear of the center console.

Wiring of the seat heaters was pretty basic. You had the two feeds, and ground, for each one. I had to repin some connectors for easier fitment/plug in. Same with the connectors for the switches themselves. I had made sure ahead of time to find factory connectors for the entire install (two 6 pin ones for the switches, and misc two and three pin ones for the heaters themselves). Wiring from the heaters was run underneath the carpeting over the center hump, up to the switches.

Now the only thing I "tapped" into from the factory system was to illuminate the switches lights as in when you have your headlights on. I'm not talking about the orange ones indicating when your heater is on, and if it's low or high, as they are supplied power from the before mentioned power supply. What I'm talking about is the actual red (in my case) illumination when your headlights are on. The center console has that dull, not very bright light when you open up the armrest compartment. I simply got a two pin connector, ran it to the wires for the illumination of the switches, and plugged it in. Again, other then that, I stole no wiring from anything else on the car.

After that, it was just a matter of wrapping up, routing, connecting, etc, of everything. Now I've made all this sound very simple, but it's actually not the easiest thing, or at least the quickest. I was very meticulous with every bit of wiring. No shortcuts. Everything was done so that it would appear as factory as possible, and not a rats nest.

Now I know someone is just waiting to post

and sorry, there really aren't any. I took a few pics at the very beginning as I was taking of the leathers and installing the heaters. But othere then that, there aren't really any other pics. I haven't permanently mounted the switches yet, but when I do, I'll snap a few pics, and post up what all pics I have. I guess since I work on these cars all day, I forget the need to document stuff, etc. It's all just "routine" to me, and I hope that doesn't come across as selfish.

So wow if you've made it through all this, congrats! Because I'm just as sick of writing all this! No, not really, but yah this is long, and I apologize again for it! Feel free to give me feedback, good or bad. It's all good if you think this is a cool, original thing, or the dumbest waste of time and money you've ever heard of (though it wasn't really expensive, though I won't go there...)

-- Kevin
Old 01-21-2008, 08:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
nice write up. try and get those pics up when you can.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:30 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The "voices" made me do it...
Old 01-21-2008, 08:30 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool - This is a nice editorial (even without the pics). I am shopping for a larger car and one of the things I have noticed is that some of the higher-end options have some nice rear seat heaters, recliners, etc. I can see a value to these in northern climates where your friends join you..."Let's take Acura Tech's car because it has the rear heated seats". I would like to see where/now you installed the control switches. In the BMW and Mercedes, they are typically mounted on the center arm rest (that slides into the seat or can be flipped down) but I think with this mod they could probably simply be mounted in the center console under the A/C vents, right?
Old 01-21-2008, 08:36 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
That's my kind of mod work there...

I need PN's and a few pics. Get on it.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:39 PM
Acura Cert MASTER TECH

I will try and get those pics up within a few days. And I'll also try and remember to bring home all the paperwork for the install, including part #s

As for location ideas for the switches, I am still open to suggestions. Any mods I do to this car, I want to be pretty much reversible, should I ever choose to get rid of the car. That said, I am a little hesitant to mount them under the rear vents of the center console, though I totally agree that would be the best location. The MDXs w/ rear entertainment are mounted like that. The reasoning for wanting to mount the switches in the fold out not an ashtray thing is because it's a cheap piece of plastic that could be replaced for very cheap should I ever need to.

And right now, our highs for the day have been mid 20s, so yes, my car has become the popular choice of my friends to use. What I find funny is now no one calls shot gun, since front passenger seat only has a seat heater for your ass...everyone wants to sit in the rear now since both ass and back heat up!
Old 01-21-2008, 09:03 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Sounds like you need to add those rear back heaters to the front seats as well...
Old 01-21-2008, 09:31 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
I'm impressed, wow. I didn't even think it would be feasible. Props to you! I personally would have done the seat bottoms and called it a day. I get 90% of my seat warmer happiness from the bun warmer. (that dosen't sound right eh?) The seatback heat gets my back sweaty. lol. If the bottom part is easy, I may consider it too. I'd plan the switches into the rear armrest too.

The extra effort for the seatbacks would have made me think twice. But you went the distance, good job.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:53 AM
2005 TL (7/07-8/29/09)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wouldn't go out of my way and make my friends happy. I would just turn on the heat. Props to you though.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:08 AM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by HONgDA
I wouldn't go out of my way and make my friends happy. I would just turn on the heat. Props to you though.
my friends can go eff themselves, my car is still more spacious and smoother riding than anything any of them have, I wouldn't drop the coin on this to satisfy them.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:17 AM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
Great friends you guys are.....jkidding. OK, I'll give you a reason why you might care to have heated seats in the rear....How about when you are with a girl back there in the wintertime and you want to get the party started......in my experience most girls don't like cold leather. Sometimes you get tired of her on top and you want on top.......you better have heated seats! Then once the party is started shut em off
Old 01-22-2008, 01:56 AM
Instructor

Excellent mod, this is something simple and luxurious I would like to put on my list of things to do. Not really simple, but you know, the OEM kind of mod that we all wish the car came with from the factory.

^ I second rockyfeller's input on why rear heated seats would be good. New TL owner but I look forward to christening the back seat here pretty soon.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:04 AM
Supercharged 2005 TL NBP

please post pics!! haha
~Jason
Old 01-22-2008, 07:23 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

I would really like to know how much expense is involved in doing this. Also, if someone were to do this, could they just go by what you typed, or would they have to know their way around electronics in a car (meaning you left out things here and there because you expect people that WOULD attempt to do this, to have the overall know-how? As in not people like me.

Also Kevin, I would like to add that nobody rides in my backseats. I just want the heaters because I know they exist now, or at least the possibility exists. So thank you Kevin for yet another mod that I don't need to do but probably will anyway! LOL!
Old 01-22-2008, 05:06 PM
Acura Cert MASTER TECH

Kennedy - I'de be hesitant to add the seat heater to the back of the front passenger seat because of the OPDS sensor. I'm figuring if Acura didn't do it from the factory, there must be a reason lol.

rockyfeller - I thought about just doing the seat bottoms, but then I was like, hell, if I'm doing all this work, why not just do the backs too! Now the bottoms are easier because the heaters fit better, but there are a lot more hog rings to redo. The backs are still pretty easy to fit the heaters, but def easier to reassemble. As for the girls, if I was back in my single stage years, this mod would def be a great thing for that! But I'm happily with someone, so I guess her and I will just have to try it out!

I think poeple misunderstood my reasoning for this mod. While my friends suggested it, they were totally just joking. They were happy with my car the way it was. I just looked into the mod, and decided to go with it. At the cost that it would probably be for someone who doens't happen to work for Acura, I will totally admit it would be a lot more then I think anyone is willing to spend...

As for pics, they are coming, I promise. Though as I said, there are only a few, so don't expect a step by step pic post!

Lastly, darksom1 - I did leave out quite a bit of info, like I said in the original post. Mainly, because it would have become way too long and way too detailed. You would def have to know electronics, how to read schematics, etc, to be able to do this. It's no where near "plug and play". As I said, every bit of wiring was completely custom. There was a lot of de-pinning and re-pinning of connectors, changing connectors completely, etc. Though I'm not some crazy genius, there are def poeple out there who could do this if they wanted. I'de love to see you do the mod, just let me know if you need any help! As for cost, that's coming up...

First off here are part #s as requested:
Seat heater from 07-08 TL-S (right bottom) - 81134-SEP-A31 (2x)
Seat heater from 07-08 RDX (right bottom) - 81134-STK-A01 (2x)
Left seat heater switch from 07-08 TL-S (black/NH525L) - 35650-SEP-A61ZA (1x)
Left seat heater switch from 07-08 TL-S (black/NH525L) - 35600-SEP-A61ZA (1x)
Seat heater relay from 07-08 TL-S - 39794-SDA-A03 (1x)

Now all other connectors were sourced from spare harnesses I have. This includes lots of 2, 3, and 4 wire connectors, as well as two 6 wire connectors for the switches. As well as the relay holder (factory as well). The only thing I really purchased from somewhere else was the 10A and 30A inluse fuse holders.

We'll get into pricing in a later post, sorry, I have to get going for now! Keep the questions or comments coming!

-- Kevin
Old 01-22-2008, 06:15 PM
RBP > WDP, NBP, SSM etc

holy crap - impressive!!!!

IS THIS A NEW MOD?!?!? LOL

wanna do it for me?
Old 01-22-2008, 06:16 PM
RBP > WDP, NBP, SSM etc

Originally Posted by darksom1
I would really like to know how much expense is involved in doing this. Also, if someone were to do this, could they just go by what you typed, or would they have to know their way around electronics in a car (meaning you left out things here and there because you expect people that WOULD attempt to do this, to have the overall know-how? As in not people like me.

Also Kevin, I would like to add that nobody rides in my backseats. I just want the heaters because I know they exist now, or at least the possibility exists. So thank you Kevin for yet another mod that I don't need to do but probably will anyway! LOL!
I think you may have some challenges as an NBP owner in trying to implement this mod!

get RBP and get with the program! then you can do this mod!!
Old 01-22-2008, 06:34 PM
Racer

Can you give us an idea of what these parts run? I would love this mod, but don't think I could ever get my car all put back together.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:43 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by gauravp123
I think you may have some challenges as an NBP owner in trying to implement this mod!

get RBP and get with the program! then you can do this mod!!
LOL...I would be challenged buying the right parts!

Kevin, I think you will be the first, the one, and only on AZ rolling like that!
Old 01-23-2008, 06:09 PM
Acura Cert MASTER TECH

I'm not sure how soon I'de want to do this again...like I said, it isn't that hard if you know what you're doing. Just time consuming if you want to do it right.

But maybe it would be nice to be the one, and only, person to have done this install, as darksom1 said. But as I said, maybe I would be game for doing the install agai. Though sadly, I would want some decent money for the labor charge...guess if anyone is actually serious, we would have to discuss it.

Now, here are prices for the parts. Now I want to make it clear that these are the prices that you would be charged if you just walked into the dealership and didn't have any hookups, etc:
TL-S seat heaters - $142 @ (2x)
RDX seat heaters - $44 @ (2x)
Left seat heater switch - $30
Right seat heater switch - $30
Seat heater relay - $8

Prices are less if you know someone/work for Acura. In fact, prices are roughly half that if bought at cost or 10% over cost. And even though poeple have asked me what I have paid, I still can't/won't say. Let's just put it this way, I work for Acura, I can get some good deals/freebies...

And don't forget, that doesn't include all the other random parts. And of course my labor was free

I'm still working on getting the pics up, sorry for the delay!

-- Kevin
Old 01-23-2008, 06:29 PM
'13 Hyundai Sonata

Received 98 Likes on 90 Posts
Props
Old 01-23-2008, 08:21 PM
Acura Cert MASTER TECH

Thanks man!

I'm still open to anyones suggestions about where to mount the switches. While I guess there aren't many options, I was still hoping for some ideas, materials, etc. But I'm still leaning towards mounting them in the fold out "not an ashtray" thingy. Mount them on top, in the opening, with a dummy plate. Something like that I guess...
Old 01-23-2008, 08:53 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
pics.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:15 PM
Acura Cert MASTER TECH

Well here are some pics for starters. Sorry it took me so long to get a few up. Now these pics are just from the beginning, when I was putting the heaters into the seats (bottoms) themselves:

Next we have after the seats are put back together, some pics of the connectors sticking out:

Last, here is a pic of the seat back with the leather off. For some reason, the pics with the heater installed did not come out... Sorry for that.

Now like I said, there are only a few pics for starters. I will try and get more pics up this weekend of the switches.

I must say as well that quite a few poeple have rode in the TL since the install, and they all love it! Especially since the back heaters were folded over on the bottom section, as explained in the intitial install post. They get really warm
Old 01-30-2008, 09:45 PM
Intermediate

dang...now only if my friends would do that for me...lol
Old 01-31-2008, 10:14 AM
Trucki!!

I'd like to see you install the switches in the rear ac/heat console or in the arm rest. If you were to get the carbon or wood overlay for the console it would just be an easy dremel job to make the cutouts for them to fit in nicely!
Old 03-03-2008, 02:11 PM
Let's Go Pens

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Amazing job! Should I decide to keep my TL-S through next winter I will most def give this a shot. Thanks for the great writeup and props on being the first to tackle this project!
Old 03-04-2008, 09:00 AM
Advanced

How about FRONT SEAT COOLERS instead?
Old 03-04-2008, 09:58 AM
Don't jive my 3.5

Where are you putting the switches?
Old 03-04-2008, 05:44 PM
Acura Cert MASTER TECH

lembowski - Thanks for the props! Although I got pretty detailed in my write up, as I stated, some info was left out so the post wouldn't be 1/2 page long! That said, should you try and tackle this in the future, don't hesitate to get ahold of me with any questions. I'll be more then happy to answer or assist any way I can

GINTER - Oh trust me, those wheels are already turning...I've been jealous ever since I found out when I first started at Acura that CANADIAN RLs have seat coolers, but USDMs don't. With all due respect to you Canadians, come on, it doesn't get nearly as hot up there as it does here! That said, I'm waiting to see if the new TLs will have them, or if the 09 RLs will (pics I have seen clearly show the heating/cooling switches). Until then, I can't say for sure what route I'll take. But I already have the ETM for the Canadian RLs, so wiring won't be an issue.

The issue I am worried about is I'm under the impression that the seat padding/foam will need to be cut. If that's the case, I'm hesitant to at this point to do an install of them. But we'll see

Acuraboy7 - I'm still lazy and haven't got around to mounting the switches yet. They are still laying on the center hump. The general idea is to simply mount them in the "not an ashtray" fold out thing, with a dummy plate on top. I still need to snap some pics of the switches laying there, for the time being.

I'll keep everyone updated on the whole process as I get around to finishing things up!

-- Kevin
Old 03-05-2008, 09:56 AM
Advanced

I'd install seat coolers myself, if you are successful. My M45 was the only car with cooling and heating on the front seats, and I missed the cooling option on every car I drove during the summer.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:17 AM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i got massagers for the front drivers seat =)
Old 03-05-2008, 07:02 PM
Acura Cert MASTER TECH

Yah we had a newer Nissan in the other day for a used car checkover, and when I saw/felt how those seat coolers felt...well it just got my hopes up more. I will def post up if I do end up installing them, seeing the interest/comments I've received from doing the rear seat heaters install

-- Kevin
Old 10-19-2008, 06:28 PM
Jokerman

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
I know this is brining up an old thread, but i was wondering if acuratech239 had completely finished the install and how the install had handled up, especially since it is starting to get chilly outside.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:28 PM
Acura Cert MASTER TECH

jokerman826 -

I'm not going to lie, I STILL haven't totally mounted the switches in the rear. I modded the little flip out trash/coin tray thing so the switches can sit in there, but I haven't actually made it look pretty yet.

As for the seat heaters, they are still holding up just fine. We were in the 60s/70s last week, but Saturday it dropped down in the 30s/40s. In fact it was 28 this morning. Anywho, they still work fine, hauled a couple people around this weekend, they used them, and all is still well.

Thanks for asking. My winter project is still A/C / ventilated seat (for the drivers, for starters). We'll see if I actually get around to it or not. Debating about money for that...or a ATLP J pipe and exhaust

So yes all is still well with the seat heaters, it's still a big hit with everyone because then everyone is warm!
Old 11-12-2009, 10:50 PM

Received 9,495 Likes on 6,167 Posts
How did I miss this thread? That's amazing man! Stop being lazy and get those switches mounted and looking pretty
Old 11-13-2009, 12:29 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Curiousity wise what insulation did you use? They should be using a different fabric for the front heaters just to prevent fires and so on from heaters getting too hot. Do you have a cutoff just in case it does? Last thing you want is something catching on fire.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:23 PM
Intermediate

the ashtray thing under the vents is a great idea for the switches i have USB ports for my car computer in thier, or you could use the doors under the armrest the cubby hole type thing(not sure what its really called) you could overlay a peice of plastic on top with the switch on it but then they would be seperated one on each door
Old 11-16-2009, 05:37 AM
Acura Cert MASTER TECH

CLtotheTL32 - Thanks for the compliment! They still aren't mounted, which is sad on my part I had too many other projects, and still have more, so who knows if I'll get to them anytime soon (or ever...lol). I've always had ideas on how to mount them, and even some spare parts to do it, but just haven't totally finished it yet!

But they are still working great, and it's coming up on two years!

NAiL05 - Everything is fused, of course, right at the fuse box where I took power from the empty #31. Same rating and setup as what is OEM for the fronts. The heaters have their own "internal thermostat" anyway, and turn off once a certain temp is reached. Again though, even if that failed, there are the fuses

Additionally, it turns out, the seat material appeared to be exactly the same on the fronts vs. the rears. Having done (and therefore seen) God knows how much front seat leather/heater/OPDS work, I've got a pretty good understanding of what those covers look like. And it seems to be identical to the ones in the rear so On a side note, since I did mention in the original post how I had to double up the lower section on the backs, I DID add and extra layer of insulation, if we want to call it that, due to the potentially higher temps. Haven't had any problems, as I said, coming up on two years

Thanks again everyone for the compliments and suggestions!
Old 02-22-2010, 03:44 AM
1st Gear

yeh im tottaly agree with this

Quick Reply: F-173: REAR seat heaters INSTALLED :)