3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ending my weekend with a bang

Old 05-28-2013, 01:09 AM
riding low and steady

Received 80 Likes on 76 Posts
Angry Ending my weekend with a bang

Yes another accident thread, just thought id share my story.
Anyways here is how it went down. I was down in Atlanta this weekend visiting some family and just hanging out. Fast forward to today around 2:00 PM eastern time. We went out to eat before we made the trek home. As always with everyone you say your normal goodbyes and round of hugs. After the small talk we get in and start to head out. My brother-in-law and my other sister leave ahead of me followed out by this taxi. I pull out of my parking spot, only a few spots away from the entrance. As I pull up to the entrance/exit I happen to get behind this taxi. Out of no where he just starts to reverse for what ever reason and with me just rounding the corner it happened so quick for going less than 5mph as you see in the video. Just looking at the back of the taxi it definately wasnt the first time "it" had hit something. I kept my cool hell we didnt even speak the other driver and I. My GF and my other sister shot out of the car before I could even get out to say anything to the driver. Anyways the officer pretty much said the guy admitted fault and with the help of the Blackvue its pretty much a done deal.

Im just waiting on the police report so i can file a claim. No injuries, at that point i was just ready to come home. Im just glad it happened at the end of the trip.

On to the pics AND dash cam (camera phone pics, Blackvue HD 1st gen)

In this pic you cant really see the damage but under the passenger side headlight theres a hole right below the corner of the foglight and im not talking about the tow hook cover. Id love to fight this for a new bumper but i can see this as a fill and paint kind of job. It would be nice to have an oem bumper.

At this point theres not much more I can do until someone comes to take a look at it. Until then do I park it and get a rental or keep driving it? This is my DD so i need it for work. Any suggestions about the bumper? Do I demand a new bumper? Ill be going to get a some quotes the next few days.

Last edited by dontTL'em'nothing; 05-28-2013 at 01:12 AM.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:03 AM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
From the looks, it only seems like bumper damage and nothing major like radiator puncture etc. You should keep driving it, when you take it in for repair, then you can get a rental until it's fixed. I really need to get one of these dash cams.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 125 Posts
Dude, that's great you have dashcam footage of that! He could have easily claimed that you hit him!

What kind of dashcam are you running?
The following 2 users liked this post by VanyDotK:
Healingduck (08-28-2013), NBP-UA6 (05-28-2013)
Old 05-28-2013, 02:57 AM
Go Giants

Received 1,231 Likes on 821 Posts
I don't come into these threads a lot, but Im getting myself a dashboard cam!
The following users liked this post:
Majofo (05-30-2013)
Old 05-28-2013, 07:12 AM
HE>i

Received 253 Likes on 221 Posts
dude. wtf!

dash cam saves the day!
Old 05-28-2013, 08:24 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,120 Likes on 893 Posts
Glad it wasnt worst than just some minor damage.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:28 AM

Received 705 Likes on 538 Posts
dash cam ftw!!
Old 05-28-2013, 08:31 AM
All About Trance

Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts
I hate cabbies to begin with and I'm glad you had something to back up your statement in case he said that you had run into him. Hope you get it repaired to your satisfaction once you hear something from insurance.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:37 AM
'06 WDP TL 6MT

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
+1 dashcam FTW

As I was reading your story, and you said the guy suddenly started backing up, I was sure that he was going to say you rear-ended him. Who the hell would believe that he just started backing up right into you? Holy shit. Also in for details on the dash cam setup.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:15 AM
the overexplainer

Received 385 Likes on 337 Posts
i need to get me one of these. I tried using my phone but it's kind of a hassle.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:36 AM
riding low and steady

yea just thinking about it all last night, it looks like one of those insurance fraud claims. Here the dash cam definately will save my ass.

As for those wondering what kind of dash cam i have here is a link to our own AZ vendor. I bought mine prior to them becoming a member but none the less its a great camera and investment.

Im using the Blackvue DR400 HD 16gb. You cant go wrong with either model really. It does its job.

BlackVue USA <<<<---------- Click

Last edited by dontTL'em'nothing; 05-28-2013 at 10:44 AM.
@cura_driver (08-01-2013)
Old 05-28-2013, 11:39 AM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
Blackvues are one of the best dash cams out there.
They have some sweet new models out, too.

Sorry to hear what happened but glad you caught it on video!
Old 05-28-2013, 12:00 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
exactly the reason I got one myself!
Old 05-28-2013, 12:05 PM
Pro

Received 213 Likes on 135 Posts
"are you fuckin cereal"?
Old 05-28-2013, 01:06 PM
Type Sour

Received 72 Likes on 61 Posts
Good you got the dash cam, I would've honked at him awhile ago though.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts
So did is attitude suddenly change when you told him you had video?
Old 05-28-2013, 02:29 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
Sorry about your car, but +1 on the dash cam. Saved the day and a huge headache.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 301 Likes on 258 Posts
Just orderd a dash cam after reading seeing this thread, iv always wanted one anyways. Sorry about your TL, hope it all works out.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:45 PM
W_L
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Be glad that no one is hurt. Maybe you can change to a type S front.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:23 PM
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
This happened to me once, only difference was that I was on a motorcycle and had to bail as I got hit. Idiots!
Old 05-28-2013, 05:35 PM
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by geekybiker
This lol

+1 for dash cam.

Hope all goes well with the car.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:03 PM
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Just listed my V1 on craigslist getting camera instead.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:24 PM
riding low and steady

Originally Posted by JoeChege
From the looks, it only seems like bumper damage and nothing major like radiator puncture etc. You should keep driving it, when you take it in for repair, then you can get a rental until it's fixed. I really need to get one of these dash cams.
Yea its pretty much looks like just cosmetics, depending on the cost i might try to talk the shop into ordering a new bumper and paint it instead of filling and painting. Not sure yet on the type s bumper as im not a fan of the lip.

Originally Posted by VanyDotK
Dude, that's great you have dashcam footage of that! He could have easily claimed that you hit him!

What kind of dashcam are you running?
Yea he could easily and still could claim that i hit him. Even though the cop pretty much said he admitted fault. Some people are just plain crooks.
The camera is a Blackvue DR400 HD.

Originally Posted by Whiskers
Do it. Never thought it would save my ass but you never know. It could be your ass or somebody else's ass that you save.

Originally Posted by 05_NBP_TL
dude. wtf!

dash cam saves the day!

Originally Posted by EvilVirus
Glad it wasnt worst than just some minor damage.
Same here

Originally Posted by TheLowLife
dash cam ftw!!

Originally Posted by mn2trance
I hate cabbies to begin with and I'm glad you had something to back up your statement in case he said that you had run into him. Hope you get it repaired to your satisfaction once you hear something from insurance.
Yea ive already talked to my insurance company. Im just waiting on the police report and the cabbies insurance company.

Originally Posted by stvtec
+1 dashcam FTW

As I was reading your story, and you said the guy suddenly started backing up, I was sure that he was going to say you rear-ended him. Who the hell would believe that he just started backing up right into you? Holy shit. Also in for details on the dash cam setup.
I was thinking of this when i was waiting for the officer to show up. Like what kinda of bs he thought i was pulling.

Originally Posted by ez12a
i need to get me one of these. I tried using my phone but it's kind of a hassle.
it could work but more hassle as you would have to hook it up everyday. This camera you just install on day 1 and leave it.

Originally Posted by guitarplayer16
Blackvues are one of the best dash cams out there.
They have some sweet new models out, too.

Sorry to hear what happened but glad you caught it on video!
Im glad i got it video too. Im actually thinking of picking up another one and putting this one in my gf's car or i can just have one in the front and the back lol. The new ones have wifi transfer capabilities which is convenient but i dont mind saving $100 and getting the one with out wifi, but then again most new phones now days dont have the luxury of an sd card slot.

Originally Posted by pimpin-tl
exactly the reason I got one myself!

Originally Posted by AccordFlex
"are you fuckin cereal"?
Originally Posted by THEReeM718
Good you got the dash cam, I would've honked at him awhile ago though.
i would have too but i just happen to glance away for a split second. i couldnt reverse because there was another car coming up behind me.

Originally Posted by Acura_Dude
Sorry about your car, but +1 on the dash cam. Saved the day and a huge headache.
Originally Posted by nttstt444
Just orderd a dash cam after reading seeing this thread, iv always wanted one anyways. Sorry about your TL, hope it all works out.
Originally Posted by W_L
Be glad that no one is hurt. Maybe you can change to a type S front.
Yea im not too worried about the car at all as i know at that speed there shouldnt be much damage. Only way to find out is to get in there and look.

Originally Posted by blueracer17
This happened to me once, only difference was that I was on a motorcycle and had to bail as I got hit. Idiots!
that sucks man.
Originally Posted by geekybiker
Originally Posted by DynamicJ32
This lol

+1 for dash cam.

Hope all goes well with the car.
I didnt mention the camera at all. I told myself when i got the camera was that i would never mention it. Reason for that is what if he was some type of felon or some reason he couldnt get into anymore trouble. Beat the shit out of me, got the camera and drove off or scenarios like that but you get the picture. I figure if someone is going to lie and act a fool and make you look like the bad guy, NO! They have something else coming, I would want the whole world to know that they are a liar. I was even hesitant to mention it to the cop, i figured that if i didnt it would bite me in the ass later. Kinda like the miranda rights " Anything you say can and will be held against you". I did mention it to him and he just told me to give it to the insurance.

Originally Posted by Acura-OC
Just listed my V1 on craigslist getting camera instead.

Just a minor update, it looks like i might have damage to the headlights BUT i doubt it, i just think i have to realign them again. Im not going to touch them until i can get the car looked at.

Last edited by dontTL'em'nothing; 05-28-2013 at 11:28 PM.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:02 AM
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Sorry about your car... But it's just car, the most important you and your family OK!
I had Blackvue DR400HD before, but upgrade to blackvue DR500W a couple days ago.
Most useful function added, you can review you video fom the phone, android or iOS on the fly without removing CD card. The good thing,blackvue mounted perfectly up the rear mirror in out TL's
One thing what I add,
Black vue has chrome ring around lense. So the camera is visible from outside.
I add 3M dark gray color around the lense to minimize camera visibility from outside to protect against rubbery.
P.S Hope your car will be fine soon.
Good luck!
Dmytry
Old 05-29-2013, 07:03 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
I can see his face expression going from happy until he look up and see the camera, all the sudden he just look down the ground.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:00 AM
riding low and steady

Originally Posted by Obolonsky
Sorry about your car... But it's just car, the most important you and your family OK!
I had Blackvue DR400HD before, but upgrade to blackvue DR500W a couple days ago.
Most useful function added, you can review you video fom the phone, android or iOS on the fly without removing CD card. The good thing,blackvue mounted perfectly up the rear mirror in out TL's
One thing what I add,
Black vue has chrome ring around lense. So the camera is visible from outside.
I add 3M dark gray color around the lense to minimize camera visibility from outside to protect against rubbery.
P.S Hope your car will be fine soon.
Good luck!
Dmytry
Yea i actually plasti dipped the front of mine, i might make a project of out and retro fit it into the mirror now since its out of warranty. I think the biggest reason why i didnt go off on the guy is because i knew there wasnt a lot of damage at that speed, but i still think the guy is a f****n idiot for what he did.

Originally Posted by truonghthe
I can see his face expression going from happy until he look up and see the camera, all the sudden he just look down the ground.
I noticed that too when he looked up at and probably saw the camera he stayed seated in his car the whole time. he didnt even step out to talk to the cop. He had another guy come pick up the passenger, this second guy i wanted to drop kick because he was fricking idiot trying to say there was no damage and i think he realized the camera too cuz he just didnt say anything after that and left quickly with the passenger.
yea i looked at camera to get the rest of the video but since i had a 3hr road trip it had just got over written. im just glad i got the most important one when i did. i might carry an extra one with me now or get a bigger one.

Last edited by dontTL'em'nothing; 05-29-2013 at 09:03 AM.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:04 AM
Safety Car

Received 945 Likes on 650 Posts
Glad to see you guys are ok and the damage seemed to have been limited to the bumper only. Man, those dash cams are really becoming popular. I know they already were in other countries but I can absolutely see where they can come in handy...For legal reasons also.
Unfortunately they can also pick up some horrible things as well. For those of you who havent seen this video its graphic, especially for those that work in the aviation industry. Not everyday that you see a 747 stall and fall out of the sky like it was a toy being dropped.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUFnt...has_verified=1
paperboy42190 (08-28-2013)
Old 05-29-2013, 09:31 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wait a second...... isnt blackview a sponsor on here? you guys can probably contact them and get some kind of group buy thing going.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:04 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,158 Likes on 909 Posts
Crazy video OP glad the guy admitted being at fault and that you got it on camera too. Do you or anyone else have a picture of where your dash cam is located both an interior pic and exterior pic? I use my windshield shade every day and want to see if it interferes with a dash cam

Looked into blackvues a while back but may now look again!
Old 05-30-2013, 12:43 AM
riding low and steady

Originally Posted by JTS97Z28
Glad to see you guys are ok and the damage seemed to have been limited to the bumper only. Man, those dash cams are really becoming popular. I know they already were in other countries but I can absolutely see where they can come in handy...For legal reasons also.
Unfortunately they can also pick up some horrible things as well. For those of you who havent seen this video its graphic, especially for those that work in the aviation industry. Not everyday that you see a 747 stall and fall out of the sky like it was a toy being dropped.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUFnt...has_verified=1
yea ive seen that video when it happened. Horrible event to capture, you have to feel so helpless just watching.

Originally Posted by Hazul
wait a second...... isnt blackview a sponsor on here? you guys can probably contact them and get some kind of group buy thing going.
Yes they are and there is a link up towards the top somewhere.
Originally Posted by sockr1
Crazy video OP glad the guy admitted being at fault and that you got it on camera too. Do you or anyone else have a picture of where your dash cam is located both an interior pic and exterior pic? I use my windshield shade every day and want to see if it interferes with a dash cam

Looked into blackvues a while back but may now look again!
I will do that for you tomrrow, i bought a custom sunshade from autogeeks that fits nice. I installed mine as close as possible to the rear view mirror.
sockr1 (05-30-2013)
Old 05-30-2013, 05:35 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Originally Posted by Whiskers
Your quest to fap and find fap related material is vast..
Old 05-30-2013, 05:35 PM

Welcome to America!
Old 05-30-2013, 05:58 PM

Received 705 Likes on 538 Posts
^
Old 05-30-2013, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by TheLowLife
^
This coming from a lowlife

Shouldn't you be off somewhere killing Sarlacc's livelihood.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:21 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Hazul
One thing I do not like about blackview is chrome around lens that is visible from outside.

I heard good things about Lucas lk-7900, are there any Azine users to confirm?
Old 05-31-2013, 05:08 AM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Acura-OC
One thing I do not like about blackview is chrome around lens that is visible from outside.

I heard good things about Lucas lk-7900, are there any Azine users to confirm?
This is why I have the IPASS Blackvue ITB-100HD and other reasons, it was rated the better one when I got it about 7 months ago. Better sound, picture, and features. Better low light too.

Here is a sample video of a guy coming over into our lane. Could have been bad. At that time I didn't have it aimed right so it wasn't focusing correctly. Had it too far down. Here is a link to the group buy I was in. http://www.radardetectorforum.org/sh...904#post191904

Old 05-31-2013, 10:45 AM
riding low and steady

**** update ****
I received the police report and called the guys insurance company myself. According to his statement he says i hit him. Glad i told the cop that i had it all captured on video because he put that on the police report. Now a big concern of mine is his insurance company, I've never heard of them because they are local and apply to taxi's and commercial vehicles. So i go doing some internet investigating and man ive seen some bad and similar complaints. There was one complaint i read that is almost identical to my exact situation only exception is it is with a different taxi service. Right now things dont look to well on my end. Im suspecting ill be paying my deductible on my own insurance to get things repaired but before that happens im going to fight tooth and nail to make sure that the cabbies insurance pays for all repairs. The insurance rep on the phone stated that the cabbie hasnt even reported the accident yet.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by dontTL'em'nothing
**** update ****
I received the police report and called the guys insurance company myself. According to his statement he says i hit him. Glad i told the cop that i had it all captured on video because he put that on the police report. Now a big concern of mine is his insurance company, I've never heard of them because they are local and apply to taxi's and commercial vehicles. So i go doing some internet investigating and man ive seen some bad and similar complaints. There was one complaint i read that is almost identical to my exact situation only exception is it is with a different taxi service. Right now things dont look to well on my end. Im suspecting ill be paying my deductible on my own insurance to get things repaired but before that happens im going to fight tooth and nail to make sure that the cabbies insurance pays for all repairs. The insurance rep on the phone stated that the cabbie hasnt even reported the accident yet.
I figured..

Next time.. run that fuck over and delete the evidence.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:04 AM
Racer

Send video to your insurance. They will do all the work.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:22 AM
All About Trance

Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by dontTL'em'nothing
**** update ****
Of course he didn't. Why rat yourself out and end up increasing your premium? Since you have it on video, tell his insurance agent that you have police report and video to back up your claim versus what he had stated. Part of the reason why I hate cabbies is because they can't drive worth shit.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ending my weekend with a bang