Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E-109: 07 Tail install - bumper removal with aspec lip

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 08:44 PM
Starcraft II addict

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts
E-109: 07 Tail install - bumper removal with aspec lip

As there are many other DIYs about how to install the tails, I'm just going to concentrate on the initial bumper removal when you have the aspec lip on it as many people have asked if it can be done without fully removing the aspec lip.

It is possible to remove the bumper without fully removing the aspec lip and if you are careful you won't have to replace any 3M tape either. I have comments in the pics to help out.

1. Remove the plastic clips above each exhaust tip.

2. Remove the bolts from the 2 metal brackets under the rear end of the bumper. Even if you are doing the one side of the bumper at a time method, still unbolt both brackets.

3. Remove the bolt under the side edge of the bumper behind the rear tires. I only removed the bolt from the side that I was doing first. When I moved to the other side I put back on the first bolt to help keep the bumber on. I did the method of just doing one side of the bumper at a time.

4. Here is where it starts to get harder. You'll need an offset phillips screwdriver for the remaining steps. However if you jack up the car and take off the tire you would not need an offset screwdriver. The first part is easy, just take off the 2 screws holding the aspec lip to the tire well bracket.

5. You now have to take off the bracket in the tire well under the edge of the aspec lip. This is the hardest part (easier if you take the tire off). First you have to pull back the edge of the aspec lip very slowly to get enough access to the 2 screws holding the bracket onto the tire well and bumper. As far as I know this bracket has to be removed. If you are careful with pulling the lip edge back this will cause the first 3M strip to detach from the body or lip allowing you to reattach without replacing the strip. Remove the 2 screws holding the braket on and then remove the last screw holding the bumper to the body (this last one must be taken off.

When I pulled back the lip edge the 3M tape detached cleanly on the first side and stuck right back on when I was done. The second side the 3M tape split in half (it's only about a 2.5 inch strip). I could have removed it and put in a new strip but I had some double side weather striping tape that I put in between the 2 sides of the broken 3M strip and it worked just fine. I did jack up the car a little to lift up the body to give me some more room inbetween the tire and the body. I didn't jack it up much and definitely not enough to cause the tire to come off the ground.

5. remove the bolt by the tail light underneath where the trunk lid is. This is in the other install DIYs so I'm not adding a pic.

Now you can pull the bumper panelling away from the body to access the bolts holding the tail light on. Just put back on the side of the bumber in reverse after you have the tail light installed for that side.

From the install scans for the bumper without the lip, it actually looks like there is less to undo to remove the bumper with the aspec lip on it eventhough it is more of a pain in the tire well area.
The following users liked this post:
Tidy Whitey (12-26-2017)
Old 12-28-2006, 09:19 PM
Airline jet aircraft tech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did my taillight install yesterday before Buda got this posted, and my experiance was the same. I was able to remove all the fenderwell screws with my offset screwdriver with wheels on, but I had to pull the left rear wheel to get some screws installed. One should give themselves a full afternoon to do the tail light and side marker install.

Nice post Buda!
Old 12-28-2006, 09:52 PM
Got Pearl?

sounds like the a-spec kit makes work a little more difficult - I just did the side markers and the Taillight install is about an hour and a half, but I don't have the a-spec kit
Old 12-28-2006, 11:18 PM
Forced Induction

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Took me all afternoon, but i got it done witout the offset screw driver, and without taking the wheels off. I used a few stubby screw drivers, a lot of patience and peeled the rear lip off the bumper a little. The lip is secured well wih the mounting locations on the bracket, so the 3M tape is really not too important.

I really didn't want to remove the wheels, so I just did it that way. Once the bumper is off, everything is simple.

NOTE: when installing the LED contents onto the new lights, make sure not to rest the lense of the new or old lights on anything but a CLEAN towel, they are very gentle I got some small swirls on mine, can't see them upless you stare at 3" way from the car, but still there.

Also make sure to keep the new tails closed up until the install, dirt particles will get inside the lense, and you will NOT be able to remove them.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:55 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Very nice DIY.

Garage-worthy.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:40 AM
acura-cl.com OG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah, i can't belive how much the a-spec lip complicated the install of my type-s tails. it seriously took me about 3-4 hours, almost as long as it took me to install the ENTIRE a-spec kit.
if you are doing this, make sure you have so 3M auto grade tape because you will need it.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:10 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thank you so much for posting this. It's very helpful.

-teh
Old 08-04-2007, 11:13 AM
Chief

Thanks, this is really going to help since my rear A-Spec lip was damaged. Thanks again!!!
Old 08-04-2007, 12:07 PM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Wow, luckily I didn't attempt to install the tail light just yet! I was expecting to do it rather quickly (under 1 hour) but after seeing this thread, I might have to rethink this. I didn't think the A-Spec lip will make that much of a difference. I will most definitely have to dedicate a lot more time. Thanks for the instructions and the pictures!
Old 08-06-2007, 05:00 PM
Racer

Thanks for the instructions again. I installed the TL-S Tails and the side markers today. The side marker lights were extremely easy to install and took less than a minute for each side. The tail lights took me a total of 2 1/2 hours to do one side at a time. The end result is great and I really like the TL-S tails.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:56 PM
GO BLUE!

I used the instructions and had little to no trouble with the aspec lip. I decided to take each wheel off and that sure made it easier. It was more time consuming than it was anything else. The most difficult part was either jacking the car up and taking the wheel of on each side or making sure the wires were routed to the new tail for the led cluster. It was not difficult and every screw, bolt, and snap on found its home in the end. I love the look and it was welll worth the effort.

It took me about 45 minutes per side. I took my time and made sure I had everything lined up right and was not missing anything. The first tailtook a little longer and the second tail went by a lot quicker except for the situation as described below........

However, the tailight on the drivers rear did not seem to seat exactly right. It is a milimeter of a difference on the upper right hand corner of the tail and body that is touching. The other side is not. Anyone else with that problem? I took that tail off several times thinking it was my error, but it was the way it fit. The tail I took off did not touch at all and fit like a glove. The passenger tail fits like a glove too! Any insight or ideas?
Old 08-06-2007, 07:53 PM
Starcraft II addict

Hey guys, glad the instructions have helped out. Was really surprised to see this thread revived.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:17 PM
Racer

Haha, I thought this was a recent thread! Really! Didn't realize it was from last year until you pointed it out. lol
Old 03-31-2008, 01:52 AM
In the AM, in the AM

wow. this thread was perfect. it showed me everything i needed to know about taking off the bumper with the a-spec lip. =)
Old 12-05-2008, 07:19 PM
Lt. Gamble

Received 94 Likes on 62 Posts
I just installed my taillights today with an Aspec lip (my first mod) and it was really easy, only took me about two hours or so, this thread helped alot. Plus, I didn't have the two 10mm bolts on my bracket rather I had clips which made this job pretty effortless. Thanks again!!
Old 01-19-2009, 03:32 PM
Starcraft II addict

Originally Posted by madcaps
I just installed my taillights today with an Aspec lip (my first mod) and it was really easy, only took me about two hours or so, this thread helped alot. Plus, I didn't have the two 10mm bolts on my bracket rather I had clips which made this job pretty effortless. Thanks again!!
Glad this thread is still helping people out. I'm surprised people are still finding it since it's not in the garage.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:05 PM
Q('.')=O

Received 720 Likes on 520 Posts
Nice stuff. I just installed the TLS tails at the same time I installed the A-Spec kit so didn't have to run into this . But just incase I want to put my stock tail on in the future, this will definitely help!

Old 01-19-2009, 06:53 PM
New shoes on my

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought you didn't have to remove the entire bumper to cahnge out the tail lights, just remove the bolts under the covers and then pop out the clips and just pull the bumper down enough to get the socket in there.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:27 AM
Starcraft II addict

Originally Posted by mglax13
I thought you didn't have to remove the entire bumper to cahnge out the tail lights, just remove the bolts under the covers and then pop out the clips and just pull the bumper down enough to get the socket in there.
You don't have to remove the entire bumper. You can just drop 1 side at a time. However for each side you still have to under everything as if you were taking the bumper off. There is no way to let it drop with out pulling it away from the body.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:29 AM
New shoes on my

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
^^^ Oooohhh, ok. Thanks for the clarification.