Sponsored by:

Draining Bottom of Brembo Calipers ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 11:07 AM
08 TL-S 5AT WDP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are the pros vs cons of removing the set screw at the bottom of the Brembo calipers to drain out the accumulation ?

If I remove the set screw, shouldn't I just replace them with a bleeder screw ?

Thinking of using hydraulic thread sealant on replacement screw.

I am doing a looong overdue brake fluid flush (third owner, '08 TL-S 5AT WDP)..

Thanks for all your thoughts & knowledge
Old 07-17-2016, 01:21 AM
08 TL-S 5AT WDP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Follow up:

My local Acura stealership did not have any Brembo bleeder screws (p/n 45017-SEP-A50) in stock.
I ordered 5 Brembo bleeder screws (one spare) online to be delivered in a week.
The set screw needs a 5 mm allen wrench to remove it.
I have decided that if I break the set screws loose, then I want to replace them with the bleeder screws.
I decided to wait until the next maintenance cycle to drain the lower portion of the calipers and replace with the bleeder screws.

In the meantime I found this Brake Fluid Bleeder Kit the best purchase ever.
Brake Fluid Bleeder
I pulled the tip off the suction hose and used it to suck up as much out of the reservoir as possible.
I added fresh brake fluid (Motul 5.1) in the reservoir to the minimum mark, and sucked it out again.
I did this partial fill and suck out one more time. The reservoir then looked pretty clean.
My reservoir is in a Z shape so I could not see much of the bottom of the reservoir, nor get it completely clean. It was well over 90% better in my humble opinion.
Next fill up the “fill bottle” & let it gravity feed the reservoir as needed.
The suction end with the old fluid bottle made quick work of drawing the old fluid out. The suction hose is opaque so you can see the fluid color change quickly.
I should have been able to do the entire job using only two 500 ml bottles. I had already used approx. 750 ml with the friend using the old school two person flush method. Don’t bother with the two person old school flush method. The above brake fluid bleeder kit is the only way for me now.
BTW: I got to thinking, hydraulic sealant on the bleeder screws won’t be a good idea. What should I use on the bleeder screw threads?

Thanks for your knowledge, thoughts & input.
Old 07-22-2016, 03:28 AM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
There are two bleeder valves located at the top of each caliper and that should be enough to flush out all the old fluid. Doing the bottom may just be a little overkill and unnecessary. Just make sure you don't strip or break anything and youre good.

When I bleed my brakes I just loosened it valve and had someone step on the brakes to pump out the old fluid and before they let go of the brake I would retighten the valve so no air gets brought into the system. If you need more information on how to do it, google it or youtube. They should have sufficient infomation. Sorry but Im too lazy to explain the whole procedure. I didnt reapply any sealants when I did brakes for any of my cars and reused the old valves.