Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Doubts in the color combo

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2004, 08:38 AM
VTEC HoooA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doubts in the color combo

Well I ordered NBP/Ebony and now am starting to think I should have gone NBP/Camel as it appears the orange level has been toned down.

I like the wood look, Dilemna Dilemna.
Old 03-17-2004, 08:47 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
How/why do you think the orange is toned down? I used to think no way I would ever be interested in the camel color but the idea has been growing on me. Something about the difference from what we are used to seeing in most cars (black, beige, or gray). So, is the difference very noticeable, did the dealer say it was?
Thanks
Old 03-17-2004, 08:55 AM
Instructor

I have NBP/Ebony NAVI and absolutely love black on black. I highly recommend it. The TL interior is so modern that the black color and faux carbon fiber really make it slick.
Old 03-17-2004, 09:29 AM
Team Nighthawk President

I agree with bigdomer I have the same color combo and I love it....
Old 03-17-2004, 09:47 AM
Racer

I love the ebony interior as well. It really sets off the look of the interior along with the carbon fiber trim as metioned earlier.

But I opted for Anthracite exterior. The black was too much upkeep for me. It looks stunning when clean, but quickly loses its luster as it shows every spec of dirt. I've had black cars in the past.

The color I wish I spent more time with when deciding on my choices was the Redondo Red.
Old 03-17-2004, 09:54 AM
Team Camel Executive VP

legendguy:

My dealer confirmed that Acura did something to tone down the amount of orange in the Camel interior. As stated in an earlier post, I did an A/B comparison in bright sunshine and outdoor shade and there is a subtle but noticable difference between the older Camel (seen on the dealer's demo car) and the newer Camel (seen on my anthracite).

If you can, go back to your dealer and ask him to see a brand new, just-off-the-trailer Camel interior and I think you'll see what I mean. For the most part, it's not the leather that changed as much as it's the cloth-like material on the headliner and windshield posts that were causing the 'orange' fear I had when I did a test drive. It's definitely more cream/beige now.

Assuming you see what I mean and like the non-orange Camel, here are my thoughts on why the other interior choices aren't as compelling:

Quartz: The issue with quartz is that it just doesn't look 'luxury' or rich. It may be comfortable to sit in, but it reminds me of a Ford Mustang with vinyl seating. Without the wood, what jumps at the eye is the aluminum trim. The carbon fiber is almost completely lost. It's just grey overkill IMO. Not enough contrast and no wood = dullsville.

Ebony: I had an ebony leather interior on my 2000 RL and that was one of the primary reasons I traded it in early for a 2004 TL. It's just too damn dark, it shows dust like crazy, and over time the quality of the leather (cracking, seams, etc) shows its wear far faster than on a lighter color. Again, the same issue of contrast exists as on the quartz- but it's worse. In this interior, the carbon fiber is invisible. Might as well be black. All that jumps off the interior is that aluminum again. Black certainly looks 'luxury' but it lacks any sophistication. All the emphasis is on the aluminum and on the navigation screen.

Camel has the best of all worlds (again, now that its lost its citrus hue) as you get the 'luxury' look of real grain leather, you get the contrast of the black dash against a lighter color, and you get wood which is what a 'traditional' luxury car is trimmed in. Lighter color interiors look more spacious and 'airy' and I find them more comfortable to drive in every day. And as an added bonus- the navi screen's beige background (in map view) is a perfect match for the Camel. Instead of jumping out at you, the aluminum trim and the navi screens sort of feel like nice accents.

It's your call.....if you want a boy-racer youthful feeling interior, choose the Quartz or Ebony. If you want a middle-aged luxury mature feeling interor, choose the Camel.

It begins with a trip to the dealer to see a spankin' brand new Camel. Should do the trick
Old 03-17-2004, 09:54 AM
What's a TL?

Not a big fan of the wood, personally, but NBP/Ebony seems like a whole lotta black for one car. If the camel is truly an improved color, it may be worth considering, but the change would have to be significant as it started off as a freakin nasty color.

Can you cancel the order w/o losing a deposit?? Personally, I would stick with a darker interior in the black as it will flow nicely.
Old 03-17-2004, 11:02 AM
HMFIC

The Camel is very nice, looks rich and does not get too dirty, too fast. You will enjoy it.

Don
Old 03-17-2004, 11:47 AM
Advanced

Go for it! I saw this colour combo in my local dealership and it looked sweet. This one had the skirts and spoiler on it, as well as the 18 inch wheels and it looked amazing. Just be prepared to deal with cleaning the black exterior, like twice a week.
Old 03-17-2004, 11:48 AM
Racer

CAR is a color that people either like it or do not like it. However, I disagree that CAR is orange at all compared to the real orange interior such as VW, Infiniti, or Volvo. I love NBP/CAR combo more than before as I feel this combo is getting special because most of the TL owners do not have it. I agree that the fake carbon fiber is barely noticeable in dark interior color (they apprears to be just black pieces) and the crack is easier to be seen on the dark leather seat. But no matter what color you will choose, you will always be a happy TL owner like all of us are.
Old 03-17-2004, 02:48 PM
Team Secretary of Housing

Wood accent pieces can be had....

While I have posted this multiple times in the past it seems to come up every so often. For those that like the darker interior choices but don't like the Black carbon accent pieces because they either seem to get lost or cheapen the look you can do what I did. Order the wood accent pieces that typically come with the lighter interiors, have the dealer install them in place of the Black pieces. Then go crazy like I did and order the additional kit to complete the look. I for one am very pleased with the end result and the compromise of being able to have the Quartz interior that I wanted and the wood look over the Black carbon look. If the gallery is back up you can view my pics. Just my $.02
Old 03-17-2004, 03:05 PM
Racer

black on black is almost a cliche. it just doesnt look that good unless youre a racer or macho man. I wish I had gone with the camel interior but I just couldnt decide on an exterior color so I went with what I got wdp/parchment which looks expensive and luxurious. just the right touch for the tl.
Old 03-17-2004, 04:52 PM
VTEC HoooA

Thanks for all the responses on this issue. I have owned all black cars in the past so the exterior maintenance is not really an issue for me. There is nothing that looks better than a clean black car!!

My interiors have all been different, one was tan (I liked this but the car was stolen), the next was a gray/black color, and the other was black. I can't really say I was partial either way, but I did like the contrast of Black/Tan (in this case black/camel).

I am still torn between them to be honest. On the one hand I want an upscale interior, on the other the "original" camel color while nice was too orange and made me worry that it would get old fast. I guess the bottom line is that I need to get to the lot to see the new camel and make a decision on this.

brucedeb1, I was thinking of doing the same thing as well. Since the gallery is down for an unknown amount of time, is there any other way I can view the wood inserts in your interior?? Also how much did the wood inserts cost??
Old 03-18-2004, 08:17 AM

I sent you an email seeking your direct

Hi
I sent you an e-mail seeking your direct e-mail so I can send you some pic files. You can also attempt to seach this forum for wood accent pieces. If it is up you may find the original thread on the subject.
Good luck
Bruce
Old 03-18-2004, 11:30 AM
Instructor

My $0.02 on Silver/Ebony

Hi all,

Just wanted to add my $0.02. I actually did see a CAR/Anthracite combo and it *was* beautiful... but IMHO more because of it's uniqueness than it's actual appearance. It's odd but it grows on you.

My final choice was the Silver/Ebony. I'm a tech guy and that choice just screamed 'tech' to me. Don't ask me why.

I agree the ebony does tend to show dust... but that's what swiffer cloths are for (you know, the kind that actually picks up dust rather than spreading it around.) Does a great job.

I like clean lined interiors and the carbon fiber does that for me. I can see how some people say it gets lost in the ebony interior but my take on it is one of simplicity and elegance.

Finally, my choice of ebony is the way the TL looks at night. With the soft blue glow of the dials and knobs, good sound insulation blocking outside noises, Diana Krall on DVD-A, and dark ebony interior, there's nothing more more relaxing.

Drove my boss to dinner the other day and he commented that it was comparable (and in some ways better) than his Audi A6.

=)
Old 03-18-2004, 11:55 AM
Racer

I was turned off by the "orangeness' of the camel, and if they've adjusted that, great. That said, I have NBP/Ebony. Biased as I may be, I still think it looks terrific. I like the monotone look, and the way the aluminum and faux graphite combine with it. To me, it looks sporty, high tech and elegant all at once. Given the opportunity to switch, I'd stay with the Ebony. My .02.
Old 03-18-2004, 12:31 PM
Burning Brakes

I love the quartz on my car, but the camel is really nice if you like all that ebony and camel contrast. For me, it was a little busy. Quartz is harmonious and very open feeling.

Ebony is disappointing to me...it doesn't do justice to the fit and finish of the new TL, and it makes the car feel smaller inside.
Old 03-18-2004, 01:07 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Anyone ever see/post pics to the black interior with the stick-on wood kit? I'd be interested to see it. BJ
Old 03-18-2004, 01:40 PM
VTEC HoooA

Thanks for the pics Bruce!! The interior looks nice!
Old 03-18-2004, 03:55 PM

nodoze2004

You are welcome. As a proud papa I am always willing to share how my TL interior looks. Boltjames I did the change using actual pieces ordered from Honda. I noticed after the fact that the stick on kits were available for those same pieces. I don't know that I would like the stick on as much as I do the original pieces. The fit is natural this way. My concern on the stick on is that they will protrude too much and be an eye sore specifically on the door pieces. I have not seen it either though, so this is only my guess. I was able to do my conversion for around eight hundred dollars. The stick on kit for those same pieces I believe are about three hundred dollars unless I am mistaken. For the extra five hundred to be done right, I would do it the same way if I had to do it over again. Just my $.02
Bruce
Old 03-18-2004, 04:34 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Gotcha bruce....didn't realize you ordered the OEM wood trim. If you can, send me a pic as I'd love to see your work. BJ