Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does frequent oil changes affect MID?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 07:26 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Does frequent oil changes affect MID?

if i change the oil more frequently than what the MID shows, does this screw up how the MID displays other recommended maintenance items?

the oil life goes back up to 100%, but this doesn't affect when other MID messages will show up, right?

thanks
Old 05-19-2014, 07:36 PM
Slot Machine Lubricator

Received 404 Likes on 316 Posts
Nope. The indicator changes based on start/stops and how you drive your car.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts
In my experience because I store my TL for the winter, I like to change the oil when I pull her out and the MID is usually no where near 0%.

When you reset before the MID tells you the next code, it will pop up with the next maintenance code before you can complete the reset.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:17 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
I change once a year which is around 2,500 miles at most. I just don't reset the MID when I change the oil. When it comes up I reset it regardless of where my oil change actually is.
Old 05-24-2014, 11:27 AM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
ok, thanks. cause i change the oil every 5-6000 km regardless of what the MID says, but i don't want that to screw up when the MID will display items for engine filter, timing belt, etc.. for other maintenance items
Old 05-24-2014, 12:05 PM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
The MID will read specific codes for oil changes: A1 & A2. I believe A1 means oil/no filter and A2 means oil/filter. As long as the MID says A1 or A2, resetting the MID won't affect the other items. I always replace the filter regardless of code.

I'm curious why you don't simply follow the MID. Oils have gotten much better and motors run cleaner so the change every 3k miles is an old fashioned idea now. I would just follow the MID and save yourself time and money.

I think the TL engine will outlast many of the other components of the car, so it's hard for me to justify changing the oil so frequently when things like interior, transmission, accident, smog, and electronics are more likely to cause me to need another car in the future.
The following users liked this post:
Tl1987 (05-24-2014)
Old 05-27-2014, 03:34 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by anagramjones
if i change the oil more frequently than what the MID shows, does this screw up how the MID displays other recommended maintenance items?
Originally Posted by anagramjones

the oil life goes back up to 100%, but this doesn't affect when other MID messages will show up, right?
I assume that the last sentence means that you have reset the MID, so yes, it CAN screw up the MID displays for other maintenance items than oil, if your TL MID works the same as my 2009 RDX MID. If the MID is *not* reset when you change the oil, then it should be obvious that the MID does not know that the oil was changed.

But the following will explain how to easily check this for yourself. And this is why the dealer can reset individual MID maintenance notifications, whereas when you reset the MID manually, *all* current notifications are reset.

The following is how the RDX MID works, but you will need to verify that your TL MID works the same. The manual procedure used to reset the MID, allows you to *see* any other notifications than the oil life. You then have the option to either perform the reset, of *all* current notifications, or CANCEL the reset.

So, for example, the oil life might be only 50% but there may (or may not) be other notifications shown, if you just look using the reset procedure. And if you reset those other notification(s), then yes, you have also reset the START period for any other notification displayed. If there are no other notifications displayed when you manually reset the MID, then there is no effect on when other notifications are displayed, so far as I know – this is not clearly explained in the FSM (factory service manual).

There is no defined “oil life” percentage for when other notifications are set into the MID. Other notifications can be set at an oil life of 90% or 20%, not necessarily at the 15% automatic engine-start notification (for the RDX).

Perhaps the tire rotation notification is being displayed when the oil life is only 50%. Then the start period for the next tire rotation will be reset if the MID is reset manually to 100% oil life.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:40 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by LaCostaRacer
The MID will read specific codes for oil changes: A1 & A2. I believe A1 means oil/no filter and A2 means oil/filter. As long as the MID says A1 or A2, resetting the MID won't affect the other items. I always replace the filter regardless of code.

I'm curious why you don't simply follow the MID. Oils have gotten much better and motors run cleaner so the change every 3k miles is an old fashioned idea now. I would just follow the MID and save yourself time and money.

I think the TL engine will outlast many of the other components of the car, so it's hard for me to justify changing the oil so frequently when things like interior, transmission, accident, smog, and electronics are more likely to cause me to need another car in the future.
Actually A1=oil change and tire rotation
A2= oil change and engine and cabin filter change.

According to the owner's manual the A service calls for oil change/no filter, the B service is the oil and filter change. However, most, if not everyone, will change the filter when they change the fluid.

I follow the MID or one year rule with the TL and MDX per OM.