3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY: Radio LED Modification

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 05:17 PM

Received 152 Likes on 99 Posts
On second thought, I bet I could design a PCB to slot into the light channel for the shifter. Hmm...
Old 10-28-2018, 12:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 232 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by thoiboi
i hate the look of those SMD panel lights in the map lights

My current favorites have been the Morimoto XB LED's

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/t1...b-led-2-0.html
Haha, I've never thought about the map lights since I installed those a few years ago, but now I'm grossed out. Thanks thoiboi lol. Thanks for sharing the link. Morimoto is a great brand and those look great for the directional light output from the map lights.

I have Vleds switchbacks and may be considering these:
WHITE LONG LIFE 360° 14 LED 194 - 194 - Interior Lighting - Shop Application
I really like how you can choose the color temperature as well.

Originally Posted by budbudford
So finished this up. The light switch itself was a bit tricky since I am using the T3 wedge LEDs. I removed the plastic base on the wedge and bent the leads to point the COB end towards the front. A little flux on the solder points kept it in place.

I'm going to Dremel out the radio diffuser panel like Josh did on his.
That is exactly what I did with my light switch. I disassembled my T3 neo wedge LEDs and bent the legs at a 90 degree angle. I used some solder, flux, and the light output is great now. Once you notice a hot spot, it's hard not to try and correct it.

Originally Posted by Superunknown
On second thought, I bet I could design a PCB to slot into the light channel for the shifter. Hmm...
That would also be a good idea. Even though I used bright white LEDs, the shifter still lightsup with a weird blue-ish tint. That plastic diffuser is so dark, that it's hard to get a strong white output. I did mess around and tried to make my own diffuser. It didn't turn out well lol:

Old 10-29-2018, 10:34 AM

I'll have to get my hands on a shift indicator panel to get the right measurements. Don't want to take mine apart several more times.
Old 10-29-2018, 11:49 AM
Burning Brakes

I don't blame you, Best of luck trying to obtain one! The stupid shifter clips are so dang fragile that I don't blame you for not wanting to take your car apart again.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:57 PM
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 22 Posts
Anybody know what I can do to fix this? When installing the lights behind the AC controls around the nav, I rotated them in using a metal flat head (with the car and lights on) and it seemed the second my flat head touched the two metal wire contacts on the light, every other light around the nav went dark. Hoping this is just a blown fuse or something.

Everything works, but the lights do not come on around the nav, so no lights in AC or lights behind the nav buttons

I realize I shouldn't have done this with the lights on in hindsight, but yeah any ideas?
Old 11-09-2018, 07:53 AM
Burning Brakes

Hey! Hopefully i't's just a fuse. I've actually been in the the exact same position as you before, so try checking the 10A "small lights" fuse under the hood.

When I first checked this fuse, I thought it was fine and my lights still didn't work. Upon further inspection, the fuse actually had a tiny hairline fracture in it. Once I replaced the fuse, everything worked perfectly again.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:05 AM

Do not work on those neo wedge bulbs without pulling the fuse or disconnecting the battery! They will burn out before the fuse!
Old 11-10-2018, 03:17 AM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wusty23jd
Hey! Hopefully i't's just a fuse. I've actually been in the the exact same position as you before, so try checking the 10A "small lights" fuse under the hood.

When I first checked this fuse, I thought it was fine and my lights still didn't work. Upon further inspection, the fuse actually had a tiny hairline fracture in it. Once I replaced the fuse, everything worked perfectly again.
did you fix the issue? I did the same thing!!
Old 11-10-2018, 08:29 AM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wusty23jd

Do you recall what position/number the 10A fuse was you replaced? TIA
Old 11-19-2018, 12:10 PM
Burning Brakes

The 10A "Small lights" fuse was under the hood. It should say under the fuse cover.