Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 10:11 PM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Received 398 Likes on 332 Posts
Yes, H11.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:07 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a ACURA Tl 2005 Base but i dun have the holes for the fog lights nor do i know what to do. My basic question here is....do i have to buy a new bumper before i can do this mod? from a newer car >07s i guess or what? how does it work?
thx for the help
Old 03-22-2010, 05:45 AM
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 170 Posts
^^Search is your friend. There are an uncountable number of threads on this topic.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:32 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
Check out the 3G garage...and you can check out some threads I have from a year ago...look up my name, statistics and look up threads started by me. I had some decent info on it back them.

No, no new bumper...just a big set and a dremel to cut into your existing bumper and bottom grill. When all is said and done there's a HUGE margin for error and it will look professional. Plus, if you screw up you can always rebuy the bottom pieces and cover your mistakes up.

Order the 2003-2007 (?) 4 door accord foglights. Those are the ones that best match the opening in our bumper.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:41 AM
Advanced

Hey guys I have some newb question that I had in my mind for a while, and I have read a lot of this thread before I am going to post this. I am planning to attempt this fog light project and I just want to ask about the wiring before I start cutting away. So I am planning on picking this one up ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-...Q5fAccessories ). I am going to try to connect it so when the low beam is on, the fog lights would also come on. I want to do the connections like how one of a member wired it.

-The red/white/yellow wires they are together I cut the white wire down and tapped it off. Wired the red/yellow to the + on the battery using the main battery fuse of the car as my fuse.

- The brown connector with the green/blue wire, I cut the brown connector off and cut down the blue wire and tapped it up. Then I wired the green wire to the low beam headlights. I did this by connecting it to the fuse in the fuse block under the hood.

I am trying to wire it my way to see if its okay, want some advice from members to see if the wiring is correct before I do something stupid.

-tap off the white wire, and wire the red/yellow straight to the battery.
-tap off the blue wire, and connect the green wire to the headlights positive wire.

What do you guys think about that way, is it okay or do I need any fuses in between anywhere. They way the member describing about connecting to the fuse block under the hood confused me so I don’t know where that is so don’t think I want to attempt that way if I don’t know it that well (unless someone can explain it to me or have pictures of it would be great). Any suggestions or advice would be great, thanks.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:18 AM

I'm not going to refer specificially to your wire choices because I have OEM so the color might be different.

In ENGINE BAY:
I have 1 relay...2 (to 1) wires go to ground 2 (to 1) goes to each actual light. 1 to power (with an inline fuse at least 20AMP) and 1 thru the firewall to the switch.
AT SWITCH:
1 wire to ground
1 wire thru the firewall to the relay
1 to get signal for when to turn on. (originally I wired this to parking light, but I didn't like to have to remember to turn it off every time because of the on/off of parking lights when locking/unlocking car with HID's so I rewired BACK thru firewall to the lowbeam fuse in the fuse box in the engine bay...I coudlnt' find the lowbeam wire anywhere under the dash).

J.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:33 PM
05 SSM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
ok i just recieved my lights and this is my harness for the fog light im just trying to figure that one wire. You guys have different harnesses and i was reading about tapping into the parking lights. But im not sure if this is the wire that you guys are talking about

Old 03-23-2010, 07:52 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by KidChenz89
ok i just recieved my lights and this is my harness for the fog light im just trying to figure that one wire. You guys have different harnesses and i was reading about tapping into the parking lights. But im not sure if this is the wire that you guys are talking about

These cables look a bit different from the ones I've seen, but I'm going to take a stab at it anyway:
1) The harness you have labelled with the white balloon looks like the interior switch harness. The green plug goes to the switch, black to ground, red with the green tinted connector goes thru the firewall to attach to the underhood harness and the white wire connects to the parking light signal wire in the OEM harness under the dash. You should be able to find a pic of that harness farther back in this thread. I would have expected another wire for illuminating the switch, but don't see one on your harness.
2) The other harness is the underhood harness. The red wire marked "12 volt" connects to the battery at the fusebox---use the terminal closest to the rear of the car. Black is ground. Red with the tinted green connector goes to the similar wire on the interior harness (thru the firewall). The only connector I can't account for is the one next to the relay---I don't know what that one is for.
May be someone else has seen this harness before?

EDIT: Duh---I think it's the fuse holder! 20A
Old 03-23-2010, 07:56 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by 05AcuraTL916
Hey guys I have some newb question that I had in my mind for a while, and I have read a lot of this thread before I am going to post this. I am planning to attempt this fog light project and I just want to ask about the wiring before I start cutting away. So I am planning on picking this one up ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-...Q5fAccessories ). I am going to try to connect it so when the low beam is on, the fog lights would also come on. I want to do the connections like how one of a member wired it.

-The red/white/yellow wires they are together I cut the white wire down and tapped it off. Wired the red/yellow to the + on the battery using the main battery fuse of the car as my fuse.

- The brown connector with the green/blue wire, I cut the brown connector off and cut down the blue wire and tapped it up. Then I wired the green wire to the low beam headlights. I did this by connecting it to the fuse in the fuse block under the hood.

I am trying to wire it my way to see if its okay, want some advice from members to see if the wiring is correct before I do something stupid.

-tap off the white wire, and wire the red/yellow straight to the battery.
-tap off the blue wire, and connect the green wire to the headlights positive wire.

What do you guys think about that way, is it okay or do I need any fuses in between anywhere. They way the member describing about connecting to the fuse block under the hood confused me so I don’t know where that is so don’t think I want to attempt that way if I don’t know it that well (unless someone can explain it to me or have pictures of it would be great). Any suggestions or advice would be great, thanks.
Need to see pics of your harnesses before I can comment.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:47 PM
05 SSM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by dwb993
These cables look a bit different from the ones I've seen, but I'm going to take a stab at it anyway:
1) The harness you have labelled with the white balloon looks like the interior switch harness. The green plug goes to the switch, black to ground, red with the green tinted connector goes thru the firewall to attach to the underhood harness and the white wire connects to the parking light signal wire in the OEM harness under the dash. You should be able to find a pic of that harness farther back in this thread. I would have expected another wire for illuminating the switch, but don't see one on your harness.
2) The other harness is the underhood harness. The red wire marked "12 volt" connects to the battery at the fusebox---use the terminal closest to the rear of the car. Black is ground. Red with the tinted green connector goes to the similar wire on the interior harness (thru the firewall). The only connector I can't account for is the one next to the relay---I don't know what that one is for.
May be someone else has seen this harness before?

EDIT: Duh---I think it's the fuse holder! 20A

so basicly i should splice the white wire and tap it into the parking light. so is the white wire a ground or positve?
Old 03-24-2010, 05:52 AM
Drifting

Its a positive, but its only a signal wire to the relay. When the relay sees power on it, it closes to send power down the underhood harness to your lights directly from the battery.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:42 AM
Cruisin'

i have a question, im installing the fogs but not putting a switch in, i just got a fuse connector to plug into the fuse box under the hood, but i dont know which fuse to use, its very hard to read the decription under the lid, can someone just tell me what number fuse to use and how many amps it is? theres all of these weird names like L-H LO, L-L LH , H-L ON, that i have no clue what it means.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:42 AM
Advanced

would be nice if someone would post some pictures of the fuse box under the hood.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:14 AM
Drifting

would be nice if someone would post some pictures of the fuse box under the hood.
Here ya go.
I have marked the connection points for the main power to the relay (red) and the parking light fuse #4 (yellow) for the signal lead on the relay.
Use an Add-A-Fuse on fuse #4 (http://www.google.com/products?q=add...ed=0CCMQzAMwAg) and make sure the fuse holder on the power line is rated for 20A (green).

Note these instructions are for wiring the fogs to come on with the parking lights with no switch on the interior. If you want a switch, run the wire connecting to fuse #4 to the interior switch and use the Add-A-Fuse in fuse #32 ACC in the fusebox in the drivers footwell for the switch power. This allows the fogs to be turned on when A) the switch is in the ON position and B) the ignition is in the ON position.

Last edited by dwb993; 03-25-2010 at 11:18 AM.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:34 PM
Cruisin'

connecting to fuse #4 will turn my fogs on when i have my parking lights on and the running lights? or parking only? i just want it to turn on when i have my running lights on, so 2 counter clockwise clicks on the switch in the car
Old 03-25-2010, 04:50 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by stupidspoons
connecting to fuse #4 will turn my fogs on when i have my parking lights on and the running lights? or parking only? i just want it to turn on when i have my running lights on, so 2 counter clockwise clicks on the switch in the car
Using fuse #4 will turn on the fogs with the parking lights (sometimes also referred to as "running lights"). Single click on the stalk.

If by "running lights" you mean headlights, use either #1 or #6. Understand that those are 15A circuits and some of the Add-A-Fuse units are only rated to 10A. The link above has a Marine grade unit rated for 15A. The fogs will come on with the headlights--two clicks on the stalk.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Esco5710
Did you happen to take pics of inside the bumper with the lights installed and the wiring? Thanks.
He'd have to be a pretty small guy to fit INSIDE the bumper to take pics once it's reinstalled...lol.

Looks good Gerzand...mine look similar but your rear is cleaner than mine and looks like it points more downward. Like I said before...this proves my point...there's no REAL way to get this right or wrong...just do it slowly.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:51 AM
Advanced

Here ya go.
I have marked the connection points for the main power to the relay (red) and the parking light fuse #4 (yellow) for the signal lead on the relay.
Use an Add-A-Fuse on fuse #4 (http://www.google.com/products?q=add...ed=0CCMQzAMwAg) and make sure the fuse holder on the power line is rated for 20A (green).

Note these instructions are for wiring the fogs to come on with the parking lights with no switch on the interior. If you want a switch, run the wire connecting to fuse #4 to the interior switch and use the Add-A-Fuse in fuse #32 ACC in the fusebox in the drivers footwell for the switch power. This allows the fogs to be turned on when A) the switch is in the ON position and B) the ignition is in the ON position.
thanks it is very helpful. Don't really know nothing about the fuse so hope I dont mess anything up. I wanted to ask about the link you put in does the blue part connect to the igniter power wire for the fogs so it lights up when you have your head light on correct. sorry for the newb question. Just want everything to work so I dont blow anything if i do it wrong. Thanks for the help
Old 03-26-2010, 08:57 AM
Advanced

Would it be fine just to connect the fog light power straight to the battery and the other igniter power wire to the head light wire instead of going through the fuse box?
Old 03-26-2010, 09:48 AM

Would it be fine just to connect the fog light power straight to the battery and the other igniter power wire to the head light wire instead of going through the fuse box?
Well yes, if you want them to come on ONLY with the low beams that could work...but you'll still need to run THAT signal wire to the switch thru the firewall. At least that's what I did.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:24 PM
Drifting

thanks it is very helpful. Don't really know nothing about the fuse so hope I dont mess anything up. I wanted to ask about the link you put in does the blue part connect to the igniter power wire for the fogs so it lights up when you have your head light on correct. sorry for the newb question. Just want everything to work so I dont blow anything if i do it wrong. Thanks for the help
Guys, you need to understand how a relay works. Knowledge is power and once you know what the relay is doing you will be more comfortable hooking it up.

http://www.the12volt.com/relays/relays.asp

Note that we are using an SPDT relay.

Basically, the relay is an on/off switch for the main power flow. It is triggered when you turn another device on or off.

So, in this case (fogs installed, no internal switch), we have the main power flow coming from the battery (or fusebox terminal in my pic above) through the relay and then to the foglights. We also have a sensor wire connected to the trigger device---in this case, the #4 parking light fuse.

When the parking lights are off, the relay remains in an open position preventing power from flowing from the battery to the fogs. When you turn on the parking lights, the relay senses the power on the signal wire and closes the circuit from the battery to the fogs, allowing power to flow to the foglights (or ballasts if you have HIDs).

Hope this helps some.

To answer your specific question, the Add-A-Fuse connects to the signal wire of the relay.

Last edited by dwb993; 03-26-2010 at 01:26 PM.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:33 PM

Once I understood that the first time around...it was easy. Great post!
Old 03-28-2010, 10:48 PM
TEAM_SONIC

Originally Posted by V-tec
kool
If I get the 04-05 Accord fog light what bulb will I need? I want to convert these bulbs into HID, so I want to know what type of bulb will these fog light use. Thank you. Also will I need a relay kit or does it come wit the 04-05 Accord fog light kit?
Old 03-29-2010, 05:56 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Sondinh
If I get the 04-05 Accord fog light what bulb will I need? I want to convert these bulbs into HID, so I want to know what type of bulb will these fog light use. Thank you. Also will I need a relay kit or does it come wit the 04-05 Accord fog light kit?
H11 get the glass housing not plastic which I was told that can melt and deform the housing because its plastic and not glass. I think it comes with relay already.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:14 PM
TEAM_SONIC

H11 get the glass housing not plastic which I was told that can melt and deform the housing because its plastic and not glass. I think it comes with relay already.
Can you please provide me link with the glass one because I can't seem to find it.Thank you.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:33 PM
Drifting

http://www.k2motor.com/03-05-accord-fog-lights.html

You want the 4door version.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:10 PM
TEAM_SONIC

Thank you very much. I appreciate it. But how come it doesn't say they are made out of glass?
Old 03-29-2010, 05:17 PM
TEAM_SONIC

Originally Posted by Sondinh
Thank you very much. I appreciate it. But how come it doesn't say they are made out of glass?
Also they use the H11 bulb type correct?
Old 03-29-2010, 05:21 PM
Drifting

Those are the ones I have---they are glass. Bulb type = H11 (AKA 9006)
Old 03-29-2010, 06:06 PM
TEAM_SONIC

Those are the ones I have---they are glass. Bulb type = H11 (AKA 9006)
Is this what you got?
http://www.k2motor.com/lf-acd034oem.html
Also are you sure H11 is the same as 9006? If, so I'm surprised.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:42 PM
Drifting

Those are the ones.
Yes, H11=9006.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:38 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 193 Posts
Why don't you do what I did and email the guy on ebay before you buy and ask if the lens is glass or plastic. I have done about 5 of these jobs and they take a-lot of time and patients. Wiring came from accord fogs and each had two wires (black for ground and other is positive). I just spliced each power and ground to the factory fogs( black to black and I believe its blue/yellow for positive). You can leave the factory fogs or cut the wire and run them directly to the switch. So the factory switch can run both accord and factory fogs or just accord fogs.

DO NOT WIRE THEM TO THE PARKING LIGHTS. god forbid you leave the parking lights on and you leave your car and they blink you will burn your HIDs if you plan on making the fogs HID.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:30 AM
TEAM_SONIC

Originally Posted by AckTL05
Why don't you do what I did and email the guy on ebay before you buy and ask if the lens is glass or plastic. I have done about 5 of these jobs and they take a-lot of time and patients. Wiring came from accord fogs and each had two wires (black for ground and other is positive). I just spliced each power and ground to the factory fogs( black to black and I believe its blue/yellow for positive). You can leave the factory fogs or cut the wire and run them directly to the switch. So the factory switch can run both accord and factory fogs or just accord fogs.

DO NOT WIRE THEM TO THE PARKING LIGHTS. god forbid you leave the parking lights on and you leave your car and they blink you will burn your HIDs if you plan on making the fogs HID.
Do you know any good shop in Ma that will do this installation correctly? Thanks for the advice by the way.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:50 AM
Advanced

By any chance do you have some sort of picture to show which wire is for the fogs since the 04 to 06 TL is on the turning click where you signal.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:41 AM
Former Sponsor

I will try and take some but why don't you just use the old trial and error and unplug the wire you think is the fog and turn them on. If fogs come on the. Plug back in untill the wire you unplugged is it. I believe it's the blue/yellow wire with the black. More toward the grille .

As for MA. It's not about wiring them, it's about knowing how to dremel them to fit perfectly.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:47 PM
TEAM_SONIC

Since you have done about five of these, can you please tell me how much you would charge me if you installed the fogs on my TL? Thanks.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Here are pictures of the ones I have done and what it should look like:

Old 03-31-2010, 11:38 AM
Cruisin'

hey, i need alittle help, i just got my kit in the mail but my harness is totally different, i just need help installing it without a switch, heres a picture of the harness wiring i got. it comes with 2 relays wired in and also theres 2 yellows, 1 red, 1 light blue and 1 dark blue, 1 black, i know the black is ground and red is power from the battery, i just dont know where the 2 yellows and 2 blues go,

Old 03-31-2010, 12:55 PM
Former Sponsor

A you need to connect the power into the fog lights and that that red and black wire and connect them to the stock fogs. Black to black (ground) and red to i believe yellow/blue (power) and you shall have light. Wiring is not so much hard as it is to install them. Its hard to explain but take baby steps and take your time.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:56 PM
Cruisin'

yah im so lost right now, ive been playing around wtih the harness and it think i mite take out 1 relay, they are only connected by a ground wire, so if i just use 1 relay, the 4 wires coming out is a black for ground, 1 red to power the lights, another red that i guess will go to the battery, and then a yellow that ill hook into the fuse box, does that sound right?

Quick Reply: DIY: Ebay Accord Foglight Wiring