3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disturbing - Consumer Reports Take On The New Acura Sedans

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 01:08 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Have you see the prices of these bigger, badder Lexus'?

I'm guessing it's why you're on an Acura forum
Old 03-01-2016, 01:17 PM
2006 NBP TL MT6/ 02TL-S

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
I know they're higher priced, the point was that Lexus is selling plenty of them at that price, so why doesn't Acura take a stab at it on a few models
Old 03-01-2016, 01:21 PM
Team Owner

The same reason that Acura sells under 1500 RLXs every year. They have zero brand recognition when it comes to anything north of 50k. Acura can build them all day long, doesn't mean anyone will buy.

It was decades before Lexus came out with the F line. They built their name from the ground up before jumping into the performance market. What's Acura going to rely on? "We have, at best, average reliability and our cars are the definition of vanilla. Give us all your money!!"
Old 03-01-2016, 03:49 PM
Drifting

Received 604 Likes on 476 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello
The same reason that Acura sells under 1500 RLXs every year. They have zero brand recognition when it comes to anything north of 50k. Acura can build them all day long, doesn't mean anyone will buy.

It was decades before Lexus came out with the F line. They built their name from the ground up before jumping into the performance market. What's Acura going to rely on? "We have, at best, average reliability and our cars are the definition of vanilla. Give us all your money!!"
I would take issue with the average reliability...Acuras/Hondas are in general very reliable...but vanilla...definitely.
Old 03-01-2016, 03:54 PM
Team Owner

Numbers don't lie. Acura and Honda were reliable. They no longer are. Sorry, but it's true.

You don't have execs step down due to poor reliability, get hammered on initial quality reports and get hammered for extensive and well documented issues on older models for nothing.

I WISH they still had the reliability game in their pocket. I really do. Hondas/Acura is still known for their reliability, like Hyundai is known for building the world's shittiest cars. Neither are really true, but the past is something hard to shake.

Last edited by TacoBello; 03-01-2016 at 03:57 PM.
Old 03-01-2016, 03:58 PM
Drifting

Yeah, I guess you're right, I just pulled out the CR the cars are in. the RDX and MDX do well but the cars suck. That's american car shit, put out new models and they fall apart.
Old 03-01-2016, 05:28 PM
KCCO

Received 192 Likes on 173 Posts
r
Sure, just pay 8-10k more for that 350hp TLX. Oh, you don't want to pay that much? 99% of buyers don't either. That's why we have what we have.
I honestly don't think Acura knows what buyers want anymore.
Old 03-01-2016, 09:09 PM
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by GKinColo08TL
I would take issue with the average reliability...Acuras/Hondas are in general very reliable...but vanilla...definitely.
Look at the current issue of Consumer Reports. Hondas are still reliable, but don't lump Acura in with Honda, please!

There used to be a time when you could say that every Acura was at least as good as an Accord or Civic. What's amazing nowadays is how badly Acura has botched up Accord quality in the conversion to Acura sedans.
The following users liked this post:
DMZ (03-01-2016)
Old 03-01-2016, 10:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 356 Likes on 239 Posts
Acura needs a car with a 40/60 split rear seat! lol. I've seen articles that points to some hope within Honda that will hopefully spill into Acura:

EXCLUSIVE-Honda CEO to shift gears, distance sales teams from car design process - sources

We live in a world where cars are more about the technology and less about the driving experience. Face it, most kids now days don't even care to get a drivers license. Now if there was a twin turbo V6 TLX with AWD, Acura would have my attention.
Old 03-01-2016, 10:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by hddnav
Look at the current issue of Consumer Reports. Hondas are still reliable, but don't lump Acura in with Honda, please!

There used to be a time when you could say that every Acura was at least as good as an Accord or Civic. What's amazing nowadays is how badly Acura has botched up Accord quality in the conversion to Acura sedans.
Back when Acura was starting out and trying to make a big impact as separate division, their cars may have been based loosely on their Honda counterparts but we're also very different. An early 90s Vigor or legend was a different car all its own.
Originally Posted by 6spd-GERCO
Acura needs a car with a 40/60 split rear seat! lol. I've seen articles that points to some hope within Honda that will hopefully spill into Acura:

EXCLUSIVE-Honda CEO to shift gears, distance sales teams from car design process - sources

We live in a world where cars are more about the technology and less about the driving experience. Face it, most kids now days don't even care to get a drivers license. Now if there was a twin turbo V6 TLX with AWD, Acura would have my attention.
True- I can't believe how many kids in HS could really care less about getting a license. I was counting down the days
6spd-GERCO (03-01-2016)
Old 03-01-2016, 10:37 PM
b15
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
Acura not only suffered from years of ugly and disappointing cars, it also fails to differentiate from Honda. They are too similar and Acura doesn't have the perceived prestige and brand cache that true luxury brands have.
Old 03-01-2016, 10:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MarcDavidoff
True- I can't believe how many kids in HS could really care less about getting a license. I was counting down the days
Yes!! They have their head in their apps. I was driving my Integra up and down my parents driveway before I got my license because I was so excited to drive.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:44 AM
Drifting

Back when Acura was starting out and trying to make a big impact as separate division, their cars may have been based loosely on their Honda counterparts but we're also very different. An early 90s Vigor or legend was a different car all its own.

Yes!! They have their head in their apps. I was driving my Integra up and down my parents driveway before I got my license because I was so excited to drive.
Not sure where you live Marc and 6spd maybe that's the case in Detroit, but here in a sprawling state/city the kids get their licenses as soon as possible...
Old 03-02-2016, 10:37 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by hddnav

Acura has long since gotten the attitude they can cut corners and get away without the public noticing. Goes all the way back to little things like the missing turn signal mirrors on the '04 TL while the models above and below DID had them. Somebody obviously screwed up at Acura since the first 3,000 '04 TL's produced had Turn Signal Mirrors listed on the window sticker while the cars came without. The ILX doesn't have them while the new Accord does. WTF is wrong with that picture?

This is really a Honda issue going back over 30 years where the '82 Accord could take a 5 MPH impact while the '83 Accord (supposedly the same car) could not. Honda Motor Company bent to the public criticism that ensued,

This is a company that only makes things the way they really should when they have to, not because they want to compete with the marketplace.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:42 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by DMZ
Acura has long since gotten the attitude they can cut corners and get away without the public noticing. Goes all the way back to little things like the missing turn signal mirrors on the '04 TL while the models above and below DID had them. Somebody obviously screwed up at Acura since the first 3,000 '04 TL's produced had Turn Signal Mirrors listed on the window sticker while the cars came without. The ILX doesn't have them while the new Accord does. WTF is wrong with that picture?

This is really a Honda issue going back over 30 years where the '82 Accord could take a 5 MPH impact while the '83 Accord (supposedly the same car) could not. Honda Motor Company bent to the public criticism that ensued,

This is a company that only makes things the way they really should when they have to, not because they want to compete with the marketplace.
Only comment I would make is the ILX without the turn signal mirrors is because it's a dressed up civic. I have a 2011 335i that doesn't have turn signal mirrors...
Old 03-02-2016, 10:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Not sure where you live Marc and 6spd maybe that's the case in Detroit, but here in a sprawling state/city the kids get their licenses as soon as possible...

GKinColo08TL, I just moved to Detroit Metro I am a Wisconsin native, from a smaller city.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:45 AM
Team Owner

Pfff.. my mom still drives me to comic book store. And she does my laundry.

MOOOOM!!! WHERE'S MY DINNER?!?!

But seriously, getting your license at 16 was a right of passage here. If you didn't get it within a week of turning 16, people thought there was something seriously wrong with you
Old 03-02-2016, 10:52 AM
Burning Brakes

The current Acura line up stinks, they cut all of the great models I can afford, I like the NSX but I would rather get a Z06 and save myself some money . They lost my interest, hopefully Acura management realizes they are off course via lost sales and get back on track before it's to late.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:55 AM
Drifting

Pfff.. my mom still drives me to comic book store. And she does my laundry.

MOOOOM!!! WHERE'S MY DINNER?!?!

But seriously, getting your license at 16 was a right of passage here. If you didn't get it within a week of turning 16, people thought there was something seriously wrong with you
Totally agree...had my license on my 16th birthday, ditched school to get it...

MOOOOM, meatloaf! Fuck!
Old 03-02-2016, 12:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts
I'm in central nj. Somewhat rural where I am at but also between two major cities. Idk, my nephew and niece couldn't be bothered to get their license. Both my neighbor's kids.. I hear it from coworkers about their kids. At least my son is anxious to get his later this year when it's his bday. I guess I've rubbed a little of my car crazy on him . He even doesn't want a newer car and wants to buy his own old Acura.
Old 03-02-2016, 12:52 PM
Team Owner

The current Acura line up stinks, they cut all of the great models I can afford, I like the NSX but I would rather get a Z06 and save myself some money . They lost my interest, hopefully Acura management realizes they are off course via lost sales and get back on track before it's to late.
Agreed. The problem is that Acura isn't losing sales. If anything, their sales are growing. More and more people are fitting nicely into that segment of the market where they really don't give a shit about what they're driving, as long as it is a "luxury" car. Those who actually give a shit about cars, generally don't buy new Acuras.
Old 03-02-2016, 12:54 PM
Drifting

I'm in central nj. Somewhat rural where I am at but also between two major cities. Idk, my nephew and niece couldn't be bothered to get their license. Both my neighbor's kids.. I hear it from coworkers about their kids. At least my son is anxious to get his later this year when it's his bday. I guess I've rubbed a little of my car crazy on him . He even doesn't want a newer car and wants to buy his own old Acura.
Both of my kids got their licenses immediately, cuz we told them we were done being chauffeurs for them.
Old 03-02-2016, 04:40 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Only comment I would make is the ILX without the turn signal mirrors is because it's a dressed up civic. I have a 2011 335i that doesn't have turn signal mirrors...
If it's a dressed up Civic, then why doesn't it have the turn signal mirrors? The 2016 Civic does! And why would you compare BMW to Acura/Honda anyway? Doesn't your 335i have side marker turn signals on the front fenders?

Last edited by DMZ; 03-02-2016 at 04:44 PM.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:52 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The idea of paying $54k for a FWD RLX is insane, along with the $60k MSRP for AWD.

At the AWD level you're getting into BMW M3 and C63 AMG territory. As far as driver experience goes I don't get how you could choose the Acura. Even something like a Chevy SS with 100+ more HP and RWD sounds better.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:11 PM
b15
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by 042
The idea of paying $54k for a FWD RLX is insane, along with the $60k MSRP for AWD.

At the AWD level you're getting into BMW M3 and C63 AMG territory. As far as driver experience goes I don't get how you could choose the Acura. Even something like a Chevy SS with 100+ more HP and RWD sounds better.
Couldn't agree more. The RL definitely has some cool features and sh-awd, but it still looks like a dressed up accord to me. And for that reason I couldn't fathom spending $60k for it vs other cars in that range.
Old 03-02-2016, 11:35 PM
Racer

Agreed. The problem is that Acura isn't losing sales. If anything, their sales are growing. More and more people are fitting nicely into that segment of the market where they really don't give a shit about what they're driving, as long as it is a "luxury" car. Those who actually give a shit about cars, generally don't buy new Acuras.
Acura SUV sales are growing, not their sedans. What used to be their bread and butter (sedans) have now become secondary, while while their once non-existent SUVS (remember the rebadged Isuzu Rodeo?) now cater to a different demographics. Maybe the Acura sedan and Integra buyers from he 90's have now grown into the SUV buyers in 2016.
TacoBello (03-02-2016)
Old 03-02-2016, 11:40 PM
Team Owner

Well... Acura sedan sales aren't at record levels, but they are improving. I just can't fathom why
Old 03-03-2016, 07:46 AM
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts
They started falling off since the 4G TL. I hate the ILX TLX and RLX
Lexus is killing them now.
surprisingly The new Accord sport is way hotter looking then the TLX.
I can give them some credit with the SUV cause the MDX just keeps getting
better every year.
DMZ (03-03-2016)
Old 03-03-2016, 12:40 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by DMZ
If it's a dressed up Civic, then why doesn't it have the turn signal mirrors? The 2016 Civic does! And why would you compare BMW to Acura/Honda anyway? Doesn't your 335i have side marker turn signals on the front fenders?
Doesn't Honda want to compete against BMW, Audi, Lexus etc? Perhaps not with their current lineup. I was not aware that the new civic had the ts mirrors. I stand corrected. And yes,the 335 does have the side marker signals. Without looking, don't the front and rear signals on the TLX wrap around? I think they do, so if that's true, are ts mirrors necessary?
Old 03-03-2016, 05:37 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Doesn't Honda want to compete against BMW, Audi, Lexus etc? Perhaps not with their current lineup. I was not aware that the new civic had the ts mirrors. I stand corrected. And yes,the 335 does have the side marker signals. Without looking, don't the front and rear signals on the TLX wrap around? I think they do, so if that's true, are ts mirrors necessary?
Yes, the TS mirrors are necessary because they may be the only way other drivers might know your intentions, particularly in heavy traffic/bumper to bumper situations where they can't necessarily see your front or rear. That's why they should be standard on every car now. I was surprised to see a 2016 Accord Sport model today that didn't have them.

And no, Honda thinks they have enough of their religious buyers so they feel they don't have to give a shit. Big mistake! Competition is only increasing.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:31 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by DMZ
Yes, the TS mirrors are necessary because they may be the only way other drivers might know your intentions, particularly in heavy traffic/bumper to bumper situations where they can't necessarily see your front or rear. That's why they should be standard on every car now. I was surprised to see a 2016 Accord Sport model today that didn't have them.

And no, Honda thinks they have enough of their religious buyers so they feel they don't have to give a shit. Big mistake! Competition is only increasing.
Again...if the signals wrap around then they can be seen from the side, if they don't then I'd agree, ts mirrors are a good thing...required, I don't agree.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:50 AM
Team Owner

I must be an outlier by caring more about the engine and drive train, than some blinky lights on my mirrors. I don't notice them whether they're there or not
GKinColo08TL (03-04-2016)
Old 03-04-2016, 10:11 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by DMZ
This is how corporations are run...

BEAN COUNTER - Can we delete these useless turn signal lights on the side mirrors?
ENGINEER - This will decrease safety and is not recommended.
BEAN COUNTER - But will this show up in the crash test scores that the public will see?
ENGINEER - No, but, but, but...
BEAN COUNTER - Then get rid of it to save $0.02. This means big fat bonuses in our pockets.
ENGINEER - I object. You'll blame us when Consumer Reports subtracts a point from our ratings!
BEAN COUNTER - Shut up and be thankful that we have graced you with the gift of your next paycheck.
ENGINEER - Grrrrr, this company's going down the toilet .
The following 2 users liked this post by hddnav:
DMZ (03-04-2016), LaCostaRacer (03-05-2016)
Old 03-04-2016, 11:48 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Again...if the signals wrap around then they can be seen from the side, if they don't then I'd agree, ts mirrors are a good thing...required, I don't agree.
You live in Colorado where the traffic jams likely come no where near the likes we have here in the NYC area. That's what makes the height of the signal lights on TS mirrors so important.
Old 03-04-2016, 02:19 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by DMZ
You live in Colorado where the traffic jams likely come no where near the likes we have here in the NYC area. That's what makes the height of the signal lights on TS mirrors so important.
I don't go to Denver much, what's a traffic jam?
Old 03-04-2016, 04:14 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

I don't go to Denver much, what's a traffic jam?
Guess you've never been to NY either. But I'd like to come to Colorado and sample some of those 'stores' that opened a couple of years ago.

Last edited by DMZ; 03-04-2016 at 04:16 PM.
Old 03-05-2016, 07:27 AM
Team Owner

McDonalds really isn't anything that exciting
Old 03-05-2016, 11:53 AM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
I think Acura lost its soul when they stopped selling the NSX in 2006? I'm hoping they get their soul back this year when the new NSX comes out. I agree on all the comments- very perplexing how Japan's first car company to go with an upscale division has flamed out in many respects. The SUVs seem great compared to the cars.

I had grand intentions of getting a TLX when it was still a concept. Those intentions faded quickly when I actually checked out the car. I really hope Acura does a MAJOR mid model update- a hybrid system is not going to do much to sway me. I want a 250HP turbo 4 with AWD along with some interior/exterior refinements.
Old 03-05-2016, 11:59 AM
Team Owner

I also want to travel to the moon and back, but unfortunately, I don't see that happening either.
Old 03-05-2016, 02:13 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
^^^^ Dude---say the word.....Done!

Quick Reply: Disturbing - Consumer Reports Take On The New Acura Sedans