Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did I buy a Lemon? '04 TL

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 08:44 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did I buy a Lemon? '04 TL

Bought this car a little over 2 years ago with 40k on it. Paid 13500 for it which i thought was a good price considering the mileage and other cars i was looking at in my range. Was smart enough to buy an extended warranty which ended up covering motor mounts, power steering pump, a complete ac system replacement, and some sort of issue where acura reflashed my ECU. Really don't know the explanation on that one as my wife took the car in for service.. Unfortunately my extended warranty is expired. Car now has about 70k on it and i've been hating driving it for quite a while now. Car runs like total ass. Sometimes it runs great, then all of a sudden after 15 minutes or so of driving it feels like it's lost about 100 horsepower. I've noticed some hesitation from a dead stop, very slow acceleration at times, and some odd shifting behaviour at times.. it's an automatic which i hate. When it's running in super turd mode i notice as i watch the rpms as they rise it seems to kind of slow at times and then continue. It's not a smooth curve of acceleration. I'm sure most people might not notice it, but i certainly do. Techs at Acura said it runs normal. 2 other auto shops said it runs normal. So i've been battling that issue since i've had the car. I've seen numerous posts about similar problems on here without resolution. IAT sensor, APP sensor, knock sensor.. etc. etc.. Now today it stranded me at the store with my twin 4 year olds. Pretty sure the starter is going out. Turn the key over and nothing but a click. After several minutes of turning off and on it finally decided to turn over and start. Really considering biting the bullet and just trading this thing in for something reliable. Thought i was buying a reliable car to drive my kids around in that had some good styling and nice power, but i think i was wrong. Wonder if i'll lose my ass on it though. 70k on it and still have over 2 years of payments to make. Sorry for the rant, but this is probably one of the most temperamental vehicles i've ever owned.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:56 PM
Spinnin them beats

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Sorry, I wish I had a better answer for you. I have an 04 TL that we bought new and has 85k miles. No major problems except for shaking in 3rd gear, probably from the torque converter. But long after warranty. Otherwise, no major problems, car has been very reliable.

Accel. is pretty smooth with mine. Maybe do a reset of the ECU yourself?

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/resetting-ecu-makes-me-happy-747662/

If it isn't reliable though, you definitely need to change it. These lemons happen unfortunately. Good luck.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:02 PM
10th Gear

yea, i've reset the ECU several times.. Doesn't help. Lately i've been driving around with a code scanner connected to try to catch any codes when it's running like crap. Nothing is ever stored in the computer though. Boggles my mind that the computer never throws a code when it runs so horrible. Just irritates me to hell that it runs so crappy. I had thought with an Acura that i would be able to go 100k pretty much trouble free and then trade it in when it was paid off. This is coming from a Nissan Altima that i ran into the ground with 265k. Never did more than replace the alternator and radiator in that time until the tranny finally gave out with the above mileage.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:09 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
the first yr production of any model will have it's fair share of bugs the TL is no exception. some folks with 04's have had little issue..others have had their trannies crap out.

not sure about your current engine issue or the maintanance of your particular vehicle to make a useful comment. i have an 05 since new...and no major issues from an engine stand point. only thing of noted would be replacing my axles when they went bad at 42k mi. otherwise...pretty good.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:18 PM
10th Gear

Well i try and keep up with the maintenance. Change oil reguarly with mobil 1 synthetic, tranny has been serviced, filter regularly. Planning on going ahead and doing the plugs because of the shit performance. Service records from the previous owner looks like they did pretty regular maintenance as well. Car was very clean when i bought it for an 04. Was obviously garage kept. I do like the car, but the way it's been sporadically running crappy has been bugging me for a good while now. Otherwise i'd probably overlook the stupid starter going out. I have to believe the performance issue has to be something sensor related considering it's sporadic and usually happens after i've been driving the car for 15 minutes or so.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 591 Likes on 455 Posts
Sounds like a unrelated and completely rediculous suggestion but i woul replace your battery. This vehicle is hyper sensitive to voltage \ ground issues.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:16 PM
6spd FTW

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by pohljm
Sounds like a unrelated and completely rediculous suggestion but i woul replace your battery. This vehicle is hyper sensitive to voltage \ ground issues.
I second this if it is the original battery as per the recent posts by IHC where his annoying issues were resolved with a battery swap.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:13 PM
the overexplainer

Received 385 Likes on 337 Posts
APP sensor, maybe?

edit: read your OP, you know about that possibly being the issue.

Just turned 70k on mine and have no major problems to report. Good luck!

Last edited by ez12a; 07-07-2012 at 11:15 PM.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:45 AM
TL-S

Received 412 Likes on 365 Posts
Buy a Costco battery. If it doesn't change/help, easy return!
Old 07-08-2012, 01:23 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 171 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
the first yr production of any model will have it's fair share of bugs the TL is no exception. some folks with 04's have had little issue..others have had their trannies crap .
this is true. Bought an 04 with close to 200,000 miles on it, never had a prob ::knock on wood:: sounds like maybe you just had some crappy luck with that one. What if you try trading it in and seeing how much they give you for it? You might be surprised. I bought an 05 with a lot more miles on it than you currently have, for more than u paid for it so u might be surprised and get a decent amount to put towards another, more reliable one.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 64 Posts
My last TL was an 05 auto and the tranny went bad right after I bought it. I now have an 04 manual and Ive had no problems with it whatsoever. I know how hard it is having an unreliable car but I think once you get the problem sorted out you will enjoy it once again.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:24 PM
2004 TL SSM w/NAVI

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
i'd sell it, you are still going to get good money for it. thats alot of repairs you have done already
Old 07-08-2012, 02:26 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have an 05 and i experienced something like that... it was the app sensor.. had it replaced and car ran normal.. also if you have the stock battery, replace it at once.... horrible battery...
The following users liked this post:
TrustinHFDJ (07-11-2012)
Old 07-08-2012, 09:37 PM
10th Gear

My question is, is it possible for the app sensor to be making my car run like crap and not throw a code? If the car was going into limp mode it would throw a code correct? Today i pulled the battery to take a look at the starter. Doesn't look like it will be too difficult to replace. Possibly it's just the starter solenoid that is bad? If i turn the key a few times it will eventually start cranking. Sometimes it starts right up on the first try.. Also so far after the battery being pulled and the computer resetting it seems to be running better although i did notice the idle rpms dipping really low and then coming back up a couple times. But it feels like it has more power than it did before even when it was running good. Also i pulled one of the plugs in the front just to get a reading. They look fine. They have a tannish brown coloring to them so i know i'm not running lean. So i'm guessing i'm gunna have to remove the whole starter to have the solenoid and starter tested? Most cars i've owned and had to replace a starter had the solenoid on the firewall.. Seems stupid to put it on the starter where it gets heat soaked.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 591 Likes on 455 Posts
App issue will not necessarily throw a code. No sensor there! Just the drive by wire effectively is compromised. The rest of the sensors just think your accelerating is super erratic. You ought to swap batteries with a known good one before you start throwing parts at it.