AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G TL (2004-2008) (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/)
-   -   Dealerships Explains Hard Starts... (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/dealerships-explains-hard-starts-545700/)

Vffr1 03-10-2004 01:44 PM

Dealerships Explains Hard Starts...

About three weeks ago, Acura had replaced fuel injectors on my 2004 TL because of hard starts. At first, the car seemed to suffer from even harder starts, but in the past two weeks it has seemingly gotten better. Last night, for the first time in recent history, my car did again experience a start.

My service advisor just called me, to see if the new fuel injectors fixed the problem, I stated “I don’ think that was the fix.” He stated that another customer had the same problem and they decided to change his fuel regulator instead.

He also, explained why Acura replaced my fuel injectors: Apparently, our cars have “plastic” fuel tanks and that some of the fuel tanks where not finished properly, and as such, little bits of plastic where breaking lose and getting caught in the fuel injectors. Moreover, they took my gas tank off and tired to shake all the debris out of the car, which now makes sense, because when I took my car in, it had ˝ tank of fuel and when I picked it up, my cars was on bone empty. But I didn’t know until today, that they had taken my gas tank off.

Mike Smeezy

JeffS 03-10-2004 01:48 PM

They could have at least filled the tank for you. From hearing everyone's experiences, the "quality control" problems have me a bit concerned.

rets 03-10-2004 03:11 PM

Re: Dealerships Explains Hard Starts...

This is new to me... I wonder why Acuar couldn't make the fuel tank flawless, which is one of most important parts in the car. (by the explanation your service guy said, IMO.)

Anyway, I really hope this won't be the issue for majority of ppl or early-bulit 04TL owners, otherwise, later the engine will have more problems due to the fuel issue if we cannot catch up this problem early.

:eek:

Zuubah 03-10-2004 03:32 PM

I bet your service guy is a ding-a-ling...

Cars and trucks have had plastic tanks since the eighties, and they have always been molded out of plastic, with no real "finish".

I had the pleasure of stripping down the entire fuel system in my 88 cherokee to find that it had...run out of gas. (I can hardly believe that I am willing to admit that to you guys and gals)

~Z

Vffr1 03-10-2004 06:03 PM

Originally posted by Zuubah
I bet your service guy is a ding-a-ling...

Cars and trucks have had plastic tanks since the eighties, and they have always been molded out of plastic, with no real "finish".

I had the pleasure of stripping down the entire fuel system in my 88 cherokee to find that it had...run out of gas. (I can hardly believe that I am willing to admit that to you guys and gals)

~Z

I may of been misunderstood, he meant the "design" was new (for the 2004 TL's), not that using plastic was new.

NOX 3.2 03-10-2004 07:07 PM

it must be a special type of plastic,
since regular plastic will be eaten up by gasoline (like plastic cups)

maybe it's the same type used in reg gas containers.

anyway bits and pieces of plastic is not acceptable.

Skeedatl 03-10-2004 07:10 PM

Originally posted by JeffS
They could have at least filled the tank for you. From hearing everyone's experiences, the "quality control" problems have me a bit concerned.

Especially here is Socal where you need to get a 2nd mortgage to buy a tank of 91.

KJSmitty 03-10-2004 07:44 PM

Re: Dealerships Explains Hard Starts...

Originally posted by Vffr1
About three weeks ago, Acura had replaced fuel injectors on my 2004 TL because of hard starts. At first, the car seemed to suffer from even harder starts, but in the past two weeks it has seemingly gotten better. Last night, for the first time in recent history, my car did again experience a start.

My service advisor just called me, to see if the new fuel injectors fixed the problem, I stated “I don’ think that was the fix.” He stated that another customer had the same problem and they decided to change his fuel regulator instead.

He also, explained why Acura replaced my fuel injectors: Apparently, our cars have “plastic” fuel tanks and that some of the fuel tanks where not finished properly, and as such, little bits of plastic where breaking lose and getting caught in the fuel injectors. Moreover, they took my gas tank off and tired to shake all the debris out of the car, which now makes sense, because when I took my car in, it had ˝ tank of fuel and when I picked it up, my cars was on bone empty. But I didn’t know until today, that they had taken my gas tank off.

Mike Smeezy

OK, I will have to raise the BS flag on this one.....

Unless the 2004 TL DOES NOT have a fuel filter the above statement by the dealer is pure horse-you know what. Their is no way that "chunks" of plastic from the tank, fuel pump, etc. large enough to fowl a fuel injector could pass through a fuel filter... This is exactly why the filter is placed "upstream" from the above items so it can collect the debris prior to reaching the injectors. Also, most all cars with or without the fuel pump in the tank have whats better known as a "sock" on the tank pickup tube. This stops the larger "chunks" from damaging the pump due to the pump being placed before the actual fuel filter.
I'm not claiming that I am positive the dealer didn't do what they informed you of but with my knowledge I feel it sounds like the typical dealer nonsense....

Smitty

rynpamn21 03-10-2004 10:25 PM

how do you describe a hard start? is it like the engine turning a couple times like 3-4 times before it actually starts? if thats the case somebody here said that it's because we have ULEV engines..they realy don't start with one click....

Hybrid 03-10-2004 10:35 PM

I'm sure the TL has a fuel filter. That would stop any plastic pieces of any visible size. Cars I'm familiar with also have a screen over the fuel pickup in the tank.

Every time you fill your tank with gas, some minute quantity of dirt or dust is going to get in with it, sometimes from the dirty fuel nozzle from the last persons filthy car, or even coming out of the station's underground tanks. Fuel filters are there to take care of that. I'm not sure what the Acura mechanic was saying about fuel injectors getting clogged with pieces of plastic from the tank.

Plastic fuel tanks aren't new. They've been around for quite a few years. They aren't dissolved by gasoline. Even a lot of gas cans for lawn mowers, etc. are plastic these days. All it takes is the correct type of plastic. Plastic, besides being lighter, has the advantage of never having a corrosion problem inside the tank.

Lastdra900n 03-11-2004 12:07 AM

my start has an idle period, i have to hold the key about 3-5 seconds before it catches

avs007 03-11-2004 08:51 AM

Originally posted by rynpamn21
how do you describe a hard start? is it like the engine turning a couple times like 3-4 times before it actually starts? if thats the case somebody here said that it's because we have ULEV engines..they realy don't start with one click....
Whoever said that, is an idiot. I've driven a couple different cars with ULEV V6s any they all started on the first click. Maybe the second, if I released too early.... But 3 to 4? Gimme a break.

opus 03-11-2004 11:48 AM

The owners manual says something about the car sometimes taking longer to start to keep emissions clean. Maybe that's what's causing it.

jbdezine 03-11-2004 12:12 PM

opus = Bingo.
I read the same thing in the manual. It happens a couple of times a week for me. Just happened at lunch today.