Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer A Purchase vs. Dealer B Service

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2003, 07:31 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
Dealer A Purchase vs. Dealer B Service

I've seen a lot of posts about folks purchasing the new TL at dealers not necessarily near to home. It may be too early to get an answer, but has anyone had any issues getting their cars serviced by a more local or convienent dealer?

I have a deposit at a local dealer (about 13 miles away) for MSRP. While waiting I have been checking around for a better deal. Although I haven't been there yet(35 miles away), I have traded numerous e-mails with a competing dealer and they are doing all they can to get me to come in. If they can/will give me a better price, am I going to have a problem having it serviced closer to home? I've heard some dealers will only service what they sell. I find this hard to believe because this is usually where they make all the $$. Not sure if I will get a better deal, but am sure $500 or so dollars will be eaten up in time and aggravation pretty quick.

Any thoughts??
Old 11-10-2003, 07:37 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know about Acura (yet!), but with other makes I've had no problem going to dealers other than where I purchased the car for service - I've been welcomed with open arms!

The one area where it could be useful is right after the purchase, if you have any problems, a good salesman may be able to get some extra TLC applied to get any initial problems addressed by the service department.
Old 11-10-2003, 07:38 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get the best deal

Find the car for the best deal you can get the service dept and sales dept are completely seperate- they will all be happy to service you vehicle.
Old 11-10-2003, 09:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Most dealers make their money from their service departments. Many dealerships don't mind if you bring your car to them for service, but the service at the dealer you bought from is often a little better in my experience. Luckily for me, my Acura dealer is only five minutes' drive from my house and 15 minutes from my office, so it's convenient for me to get all my service nearby.
Old 11-12-2003, 01:09 PM
Instructor

The definition of best deal is variable. The customer-service oriented delaerships WILL reward you at the service end if you buy the car from them. There is something to be said for paying a little bit more on the front end for the years of savings and service you will be provided later.

-Alt
Old 11-12-2003, 01:10 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
For warranty service, I doubt it makes much difference which dealer you go to. For non-warranty service, my dealer only gives loaners if you bought from them. As another example, we just bought our second Acrua from the same dealer, and when the first car went in for the 15,000 mile check, instead of the RSX we usually got as a loaner, we got an RL (and older RL, but an RL just the same). I've found throughout the years that you often get a little preference in scheduling service from your "own" dealer. For only a small savings, I'd rather stick with my local guy. For a big savings, that's another story all together.
Old 11-12-2003, 03:06 PM
3rd Gear

I have actually inquired about this today with my local dealer's service department (becuase I found a better deal at a different location) and they told me that I would get a loaner for maintenance/regular service, but for warranty repairs they will not give me a loaner, and if I want one, I'd have to go back to the dealership where I purchased it from. FYI
Old 11-12-2003, 03:41 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by niracura
I have actually inquired about this today with my local dealer's service department (becuase I found a better deal at a different location) and they told me that I would get a loaner for maintenance/regular service, but for warranty repairs they will not give me a loaner, and if I want one, I'd have to go back to the dealership where I purchased it from. FYI
I'd have to look, but I'm not certain that they can do this? I think Acrua's "Total Luxury Care" program guarantees a loaner car for warranty work. This is Acura, not dealer, related.
Old 11-12-2003, 04:08 PM
Instructor

Get the best deal on the car, wherever the location!!!

Any dealership should be more then happy to maintain your car. The sales and service guys; I never see working togethor. The salesman doesn't get any kick backs for getting your car serviced at the same place you bought the car from. They just want your money!!!
Don't sweat over it. Get the best deal
Old 11-12-2003, 08:35 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
I think I may go and check out the other dealer. I actually got a voice-mail at work today from one of the Sales Mgrs. I'm sort kind of surprised all the attention I'm getting seeing the demand is as high as it is. I have a 6SP Navi on order and based on what I have seen posted, I wouldn't think they would be chasing me.