3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trying to utilize 18x8.5 aspec wheels for both the TL and the 3G RDX....

Old 01-09-2024, 08:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 306 Likes on 214 Posts
Trying to utilize 18x8.5 aspec wheels for both the TL and the 3G RDX....

Yeah, weird I know. My car is an 06 TL 5AT. My wife's car is a 16 RDX awd.

I have a set of nice 18x8.5 aspec wheels with no tires on them currently. I was thinking I could put a set of snow tires on them, so that both the RDX and the TL could benefit. I guess let's just assume they will be on the RDX primarily each winter.

The stock RDX tire size is 235/60 R18

The stock TL tire size is 235/40 R18 (for aspec wheels)

Should I meet in the middle at a winter tire height of 235/50 R18? Do you think I'll run into fitment issues on the TL? Is this even possible? I'm sure the RDX will ride worse, nevermind the TPMS incompatibility between both.

I don't know much about wheels and tires, hopefully you guys with experience can chime in here. I appreciate any thoughts or input. Thanks!
Old 01-09-2024, 10:49 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,163 Likes on 874 Posts
I would just buy the tires for whichever (one) vehicle these will go on.

It won't affect the TPMS. But the "split in the middle" sizing you're thinking of is gonna throw both cars' speedometers way off, and neither is going to look quite right.

The following users liked this post:
vpasla1 (01-14-2024)
Old 01-10-2024, 07:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BROlando
I would just buy the tires for whichever (one) vehicle these will go on.

It won't affect the TPMS. But the "split in the middle" sizing you're thinking of is gonna throw both cars' speedometers way off, and neither is going to look quite right.
Seems simple enough. I also mistakenly referred to the RDX as a 3G instead of a 2G in the title as well. It looks like the main thing at this point is if a 8.5 wide wheel will have any issues on the rdx which natively runs a 8" wide wheel. I don't think a half inch on each side will cause any rubbing with the native tire size, but again I'm totally guessing
Old 01-10-2024, 07:47 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,163 Likes on 874 Posts
0.25" on each side won't cause rubbing, assuming the offsets are similar.
Old 01-10-2024, 08:11 AM
Burning Brakes

Thanks brolando. After some research, I've confirmed the offset and bolt pattern are the same for both sets of wheels. Looks like snow tires for the RDX are on the to-do list here now.
Old 01-10-2024, 06:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,412 Posts
The wheels will bolt up and function fine, the question is do you really want to expose the aspec's to all the salt and winter muck!

Tire wise, cutting in the middle as stated above will not give you good results on either car. Take the TL for example, with the suggested tire size they will be nearly 2" taller than the factory tire size, rubbing is going to happen due to the 50% sidewall height vs 40%.

Separate sets are better. You can pick up some stylish honda oe wheels that fit either car for winter wheels.
Old 01-10-2024, 07:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 756 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
the wheels will bolt up and function fine, the question is do you really want to expose the aspec's to all the salt and winter muck!

Tire wise, cutting in the middle as stated above will not give you good results on either car. Take the tl for example, with the suggested tire size they will be nearly 2" taller than the factory tire size, rubbing is going to happen due to the 50% sidewall height vs 40%.

Separate sets are better. You can pick up some stylish honda oe wheels that fit either car for winter wheels.
+1

Old 01-11-2024, 09:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by csmeance
The wheels will bolt up and function fine, the question is do you really want to expose the aspec's to all the salt and winter muck!

Tire wise, cutting in the middle as stated above will not give you good results on either car. Take the TL for example, with the suggested tire size they will be nearly 2" taller than the factory tire size, rubbing is going to happen due to the 50% sidewall height vs 40%.

Thanks for the input. I got the set of aspecs for an absolute steal, only $150. They all look straight, though I guess mounting and balancing tires will be the true test. They aren't perfect, but at the end of the day it's an extra set of wheels sitting in my garage. I guess if I really wanted to, I could take the tires off the OEM RDX wheels and put them on the aspecs - they're nearly new allseasons. And in the same swoop, have the snow tires put on the OEMs. I figure costco would do that if I bought the tires through them...they only charged me $8 to remove and dispose of the old trashed aspec tires. Just thinking out loud at this point, but that's what this thread was about - getting the inspiration to do the best thing.
Old 01-11-2024, 02:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 756 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by TheSauceBoss
Thanks for the input. I got the set of aspecs for an absolute steal, only $150. They all look straight, though I guess mounting and balancing tires will be the true test. They aren't perfect, but at the end of the day it's an extra set of wheels sitting in my garage. I guess if I really wanted to, I could take the tires off the OEM RDX wheels and put them on the aspecs - they're nearly new allseasons. And in the same swoop, have the snow tires put on the OEMs. I figure costco would do that if I bought the tires through them...they only charged me $8 to remove and dispose of the old trashed aspec tires. Just thinking out loud at this point, but that's what this thread was about - getting the inspiration to do the best thing.
I think the BEST thing would be to sell them to an Acurazine-friend for a small profit and not have to think about it anymore..Yup, that's what I think.
The following 2 users liked this post by Pair of TLs:
sweeT n Lo (01-11-2024), thoiboi (01-11-2024)
Old 01-11-2024, 03:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,574 Likes on 6,625 Posts
Originally Posted by Pair of TLs
I think the BEST thing would be to sell them to an Acurazine-friend for a small profit and not have to think about it anymore..Yup, that's what I think.
Agreed
Old 01-13-2024, 01:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by TheSauceBoss
at that point, go with the aspecs for the winter!