Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Courtesy light???

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 06:57 PM
Mistuh DRiiVA

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Courtesy light???

Can anyone tell me where i can tap into the front door lights on the driver side so that when the door opens and that light comes on, my white leds that i installed under my car will come on and when the door closes it will come off? I put white LEDs under the car kinda like the puddle lights ive seen on some other TLs on the forum, as a coutersy light for when the door opens. Is there any way to tap into it under the dash or in the door itself? Thanks in advance

Last edited by maddsiick; 04-01-2009 at 07:00 PM.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:37 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sure. as they take input from the door switches on body, there are must be wires routing the signals to the courtesy lights.

MICU controls the lights. each light has one side connected to always HOT and the other end to MICU. I believe MICU pulls it to ground when the corresponding door is open. however, if you tap your lights this way, you add more current to the MICU, which may not be design to take the added current.

the other way is tapping into the door switches directly. again, it pulls to ground when the door is open.

either way, you need to wire the lights same way as the courtesy lights: one end to positive the other end to the wire you tap to.

driver's door light: YEL/BLU -- J2 under-dash fuse box. 2nd row leftmost 21 pin connector.
driver's door switch: GRN -- E15 under-dash fuse box. 2nd row middle 16pin connector in the BACK, you need to take off the fuse box I believe. not sure how to do it.

front passenger's door light: YEL/GRN, on white 12 pin connector in right side kick panel, above stereo amp. I think you need to take off glove box and holder too to access it.
front passenger's door switch: LT GRN/RED -- H12 under-dash box. 2nd row middle 14pin connector. I don't know how this wire is routed from right side to under-dash fuse box, might be inside the big bundle attached on stereo amp.

HTH.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:05 PM
Mistuh DRiiVA

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
This is exactly what i was looking for. Quick question thought, what is the MICU and can you provide any pictures that could help me out? Thanks alot again
Old 04-01-2009, 10:38 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
unfortunately I won't have time to take picture as I'm leaving for a trip 5am tomorrow.

MICU is the computer unit built into the fuse box, and it's in charge of most body electrical functions, from lights, power seats to console display.

most lights are wired in such a fashion that one end of relay coil is connected to battery, the other end is connected to MICU which would pull it to ground to energize the relay thus turn on the light.