Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

complete newbie to sedans, acuras, and this forum, plz help

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 11:14 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
complete newbie to sedans, acuras, and this forum, plz help

hey guys. i've been looking at getting a new car for a while. i have a 98 ford exploder

http://www.sounddomain.com/ride/113975

been looking for a nice sports sedan, the TL caught my eye, especially when i saw the ronjon pics. then i checked out some forums, maybe this one, w/ people bitchinga bout cheap flaking and peeling paint and other shotty manufacturing flaws that "allow such a nice car to be so cheap"

anyways, for u owners...
1. what are your complaints?
2. what are you most impressed by?
3. how high of quality is the ron jon kit?
4. how hard is it to hook the navi to make it a dvd player
5. how good is the stock system really?
6. does it have the feature the RL does that tells u the fastest way to get somewhere w/ traffic as a variable?
7. does it shift power to the outside wheels while turning like the RL?
Old 08-23-2005, 11:42 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by uschardcore
hey guys. i've been looking at getting a new car for a while. i have a 98 ford exploder

been looking for a nice sports sedan, the TL caught my eye, especially when i saw the ronjon pics. then i checked out some forums, maybe this one, w/ people bitchinga bout cheap flaking and peeling paint and other shotty manufacturing flaws that "allow such a nice car to be so cheap"

anyways, for u owners...
6. does it have the feature the RL does that tells u the fastest way to get somewhere w/ traffic as a variable?
Hello and welcome:

1. My biggest complaint thus far his not having a "perfect" car. My sub's surruound was thickened as there was a rattle (one time fix). The leather on the edges cracks so my front seats look worn (I have an '04). Headliner rattled (more velcro was applied so no more problems). Broken exterior door trim ('04 only from my understanding). Other complaints I may have are nitpicks.

2. The way the car handles. My advice, get new tires as soon as you can. I have Kumho Ultra high performance All Seasons 245/45 to replace the 235/45, and they grip very well. The luxury you do get for the money cannot be beat. I have a Nav and the voice recognition is wonderfull to have. The ride is good but not smooth (remember I have non-OME tires) but over all it is not as bad as say a G35C. In general the build quality isn't that bad. When you get yours, you'll have a model that is two years removed from the problems seen in the '04 or what was seen in the '05's. I think '05's had fewer problems.

3. Don't have (may not keep my car as I want a coupe, G35C or the new RL, or Lexus GS).

4. Do a search for this. I think what you need is less then $500.00 and takes an hour or so. Some have done it and will give you step by step instructions.

5. I assume you mean the ELS Surround Sound. I love the system. From what I've read, the sound stage was designed for the front passengers where as the RL's is for all passengers. The TL doesn't let you simulate Surround Sound with regular CD's like the RL does. The only thing annoying is that DVD-A's and DTS dics are hard to come by when looking for certain artists.

6. No Nav Traffic

7. FWD only. The RL has SH-AWD where 100% of RW torque can be diverted to speed up the outside wheel to "push" the car through the turn.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:35 PM
Instructor

The seats could be a little more comfortable.

Everything else. The acceleration and handling are incredible. The interior and exterior are gorgeous. The braking is very responsive. I look forward to getting in my car everyday and driving it.

I have no idea.

I called around, one shop wanted to charge $1,000 for it, I passed it up. There's no way I'd attempt to do this myself, it's fairly complicated.

Good sound quality. I wish it was a little louder.

I don't think so.

You mean AWD? The TL does not have AWD.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:38 PM
Blue on Black

My previous vehicle was also an Exploder but mine was 95.

The only thing I don't like about the Acura TL is that it is only FWD. Otherwise it is an awesome car. Even nicer to drive than my friend's BMW 330ci. More HP, too. If you get one, definitely go for the Navi and A-SPEC options.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by uschardcore

anyways, for u owners...
I am no longer an owner becasue mine was totaled. But I haved owned all three acura sedans so I can try to answer your questions.

Rattles. I spent a little time and they were fixed. Paint was cheap - put a clearbra on and save yourself from the chips.

Safety features. The car saved my life - as well as another member who posted a couple days ago. Bluetooth is awesome. The nav system is by far the best in the industry.

Don't know, but I would imagine it is top notch. I had his wheels and loved them.

Fairly simple. If you are not comfortable doing it yourself, you can take the parts to a local installer and get it done for a cheap price.

I thought it was excellent. The RL's is slightly better.

6. does it have the feature the RL does that tells u the fastest way to get
somewhere w/ traffic as a variable?

No. It does not have the navtraffic. Keep in mind, the RL does not actually give you a faster route based on traffic or construction/accident incidents. It only tells you there is a problem. (Even then, it does not work all the time - this is my current vehicle)

No. The TL does not have the sh-awd.