Sponsored by:

compare this 3G TL vs 1G TSX

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 09:34 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Lightbulb compare this 3G TL vs 1G TSX

which would you rather keep and why?

3G TL 6 speed 115k miles - SALVAGE title. gray exterior, black leather interior, navigation, everything works minus bluetooth. besides salvage title (damage was purely cosmetic to rear quarter panel hit) and cracked dash, car drives and appears flawless. only aftermarket is 20% tint and koni yellows, tein s tech springs, and spc camber arms. perfect alignment and shifting.

1G TSX 6 speed 200k odometer, 120k engine (paperwork) - CLEAN title. Adriatic Blue Pearl (ABP), black interior flawless, black perfect condition cloth jdm or euro seats (but not alcantara), non-nav, everything works. d2 springs and stock shocks. only problem is 2nd gear pop out randomly, either during acceleration, stop-and-go traffic, or shifting into gear.

the caveat is that I own the TL and the TSX owner is willing to throw in $1300 on top of the trade. i know that 2nd gear in the TSX probably needs new synchros or a used tranny altogether, so it may cost the whole $1300... however, the TSX is clean title, so therefore wouldn't it be worth more in the long run despite the higher mileage?

what do you guys think?
Old 10-20-2018, 10:15 PM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
I’d trade for the TSX
Old 10-20-2018, 10:18 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
TL all day baby!
Old 10-21-2018, 02:47 AM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
TSX sounds to have a tranny or syncro issie... TL is more loaded... Never even seen a cloth TSX before???

If you're sure the TL salvage title is purly cosmetic it seems to be the better deal here!!!
Old 10-21-2018, 04:14 PM
Instructor

ahhhh.... decisions!

I bought the TL from the tow yard, and afterward had everything including the frame, inspected by Acura and a body shop. It was purely cosmetic as everything was fixed with just an alignment.

The TSX has cloth because the original seats were swapped out, but I realllllly like these cloth seats over the original leather actually. He doesn't know which car it came out of because he got the car like that, but the power seats and everything work like normal.

I do more inner city driving, so the TSX seems to have the edge for me in terms of better mpg and nimbleness, PLUS the money on top and having a clean title is nice. If anything were to happen, what would insurance do for salvage car values??
Old 10-21-2018, 06:57 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Personally, I'd keep the TL. Things that deter me away from the TSX is:
-Higher Mileage (even though there's paperwork, the body and suspension still went through that 200K)
-Tranny issues (maybe just needs another clutch/flywheel)
-D2 springs (will need to replaces shocks and springs sooner rather than later)
-Unknown repairs/maintenance that will come up, that the previous owner may or may not mention

Things that make me want the TL:
-Great choice of the suspension setup (KONI yellows with TEIN's are the tits)
- you know the history of the car ( you already know what needs to be done for maintenance/repairs)
-Lower mileage (you still got a ways to go with the motor and trans. may need to replace clutch/flywheel sooner or later)
? has the 105K timing belt/water pump maintenance been done? If yes, that adds as a keeper
Old 10-22-2018, 12:59 AM
Instructor

well, i appreciate your guys' feedback. and coffeefiend, you make a good point, albeit too late since i already made the trade earlier LOL.

ok, so i realized that the interior of this TSX is indeed alcantara. not sure from what car, but i love the feel of the seats and also how it fits my frame compared to the larger TL seats. the downside i already found is that all of the climate control and radio lights on the TSX have went out, so it's completely dark and basically non-navigational to operate at night. the 2nd gear already is bugging me a bit and makes me a tad paranoid shifting into it, but like coffeefiend mentioned, maybe a new clutch/flywheel down the road will solve this issue. for now, i'll just granny shift and pray haha. otherwise, i have extra money in my pocket for any unexpected issues that come up.

i'll update later down the road
Old 10-22-2018, 01:08 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Either car is a good car, but moving forward... Don't know too much about TSX's, but if its similar to Hondas and Acura of the same years, that grinding/clutch popping out in second gear might be alleviated by changing the MTF to Friction Modified Sycromesh by ACdelco. Usually it's common in the 3rd gear. But its worth a shot considering it's only a few bucks. It's not really a repair or fixes the issue, but kind of like a cure. If that makes any sense lol. I would try that out before replacing anything, since its a cheaper option

Last edited by theCoffeeFiend; 10-22-2018 at 01:11 AM.
Old 10-22-2018, 04:28 AM
Null and proud of it

Ummm... Stupid question, but I'm confused??? What car did you get? From the way you said it, sounds like you bought the TL, then traded it on the TSX and now having second thoughts... I mean, im probably wrong.... But I get why you like the TSX so much... When I got my TL last year, I drove a TSX just before, and really liked it... I since traded the TL on a Kia Optima, but sometimes still miss my TL... I don't think I want another I4 after this Optima.... Thinking Accord next time...

I traded two cars in just over a year, so yeah, I've been there!!!
Old 10-23-2018, 01:49 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery
Ummm... Stupid question, but I'm confused??? What car did you get? From the way you said it, sounds like you bought the TL, then traded it on the TSX and now having second thoughts... I mean, im probably wrong.... But I get why you like the TSX so much... When I got my TL last year, I drove a TSX just before, and really liked it... I since traded the TL on a Kia Optima, but sometimes still miss my TL... I don't think I want another I4 after this Optima.... Thinking Accord next time...

I traded two cars in just over a year, so yeah, I've been there!!!
you're right. I bought the TL, and just traded it for the TSX yesterday. After some more driving of the TSX, I could definitely say that my TL was in better mechanical condition overall, but then again, it had like 90k miles less on the body and parts.

the TSX is pretty quick though. i'm surprised that it almost feels as quick as the TL 6 speed, just without the torque. i'm sure the decrease in weight helps a lot. after my next fillup, i'm going to see how much better gas mileage i'll be getting because the TL was getting like 20 mpg city, but 31 freeway. 20 mpg was hurting my wallet, especially when premium gas here in orange county is like $3.99 a gallon.
Old 10-23-2018, 01:51 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by theCoffeeFiend
Either car is a good car, but moving forward... Don't know too much about TSX's, but if its similar to Hondas and Acura of the same years, that grinding/clutch popping out in second gear might be alleviated by changing the MTF to Friction Modified Sycromesh by ACdelco. Usually it's common in the 3rd gear. But its worth a shot considering it's only a few bucks. It's not really a repair or fixes the issue, but kind of like a cure. If that makes any sense lol. I would try that out before replacing anything, since its a cheaper option
i'll try that out actually! i have 3 quarts of that synchromesh laying around from a preemptive plan two 3G TLs ago haha. it actually did work before, so i hope it will on the TSX. will update...
Old 10-23-2018, 03:07 AM
Null and proud of it

Yeah, I kinda did the same thing... I got a 2008 TL 5AT, which had constant battery issues, random glitches, among other problems... Gas was killing me, or so it seems... I traded it on a 2011 Kia Optima 2.4 6AT... I was getting between 18-22, but when I was en-route to the destination of the trade deal, I averaged 32.9 mpg, believe it or not... In retrospect, I'm kinda pissed I didn't find that out sooner, but it wouldn't have fixed my problems I already had...

I find the Optima pretty fast... Almost as much as the TL... Better low-end torque, similiar passing power, well, not too much slower... But unlike tge TL, the engine is weak at around 4K rpm... It will just flare, it won't pull well at that particular rpm...

I looked at the TSX and Accord the same day... All 2006 5ATs, Accord was an I4... Just drove them in a parking lot... Liked the TSX a little more, but they were too hard to find and I found a nice TL in my town... Kept it 11 monthes ubtil the trade for the Optima... Don't get me wrong, I love the Ootima and have put a ton of money into it, but I still am itching for another V6 Honda, preferably an Accord...

Umm... Sorry to threadjack, but I can relate, thats all...

Hope you're enjoying the TSX!!!

Last edited by Midnight Mystery; 10-23-2018 at 03:08 AM. Reason: Hijack